✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

06-Aug-09: Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion, Raleigh, NC - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setl

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my god.

It was phenomenal. Two of my friends were in the pit - Chris Martin high-fived one of them. Then, when he was throwing the tympani stick, it bounced into the same guy's hand! And at the end Jonny walked up to my other friend and GAVE him his pick, straight up handed it off to him.

They made off like bandits.

No real changes from the typical setlist. Billie Jean was cool, as well as a little improv harmonica song Chris did while they were out on the lawn playing the acoustic set.

<3 Green Eyes, too

That one is called Death Will Never Conquer, man... Jeez, now I wonder if they truly call themselves "real fans"... :inquisitive:

Wow. First coldplay concert and it was amazing! Everything, the band, the venue, the setlist, the crowd, was all great. They seemed kind of out of it but it barely showed at all, though I was thinking there would be two true encores - didn't really consider the first bit an encore lol. Favorite song would have to have been green eyes, lovers in japan, or the scientist. Oh and the hardest part really showed how great chris and will are in harmony! The band walked right past me on the way to the back stage!!

As an aside wtf is with people getting super drunk at a coldplay concert?! There were 50 year old women jumping up and down dancing during every single song!!

@guy above me - I think he was talking about the little thing chris sang while will was tuning his guitar, not will's song :)

Wow. First coldplay concert and it was amazing! Everything, the band, the venue, the setlist, the crowd, was all great. They seemed kind of out of it but it barely showed at all, though I was thinking there would be two true encores - didn't really consider the first bit an encore lol. Favorite song would have to have been green eyes, lovers in japan, or the scientist. Oh and the hardest part really showed how great chris and will are in harmony! The band walked right past me on the way to the back stage!!

As an aside wtf is with people getting super drunk at a coldplay concert?! There were 50 year old women jumping up and down dancing during every single song!!

@guy above me - I think he was talking about the little thing chris sang while will was tuning his guitar, not will's song :)

you're right about the guitar tuning song. I couldn't hardly make it out because I was right infront of them at the back stage and the crowd was so dang loud. They did Death will never conquer right after that. It was awesome

We got there around 4:30, then headed over to the venue immediately. We arrived at the gates at 4:45. We were pretty close to the front of the line, and it really started to get packed once we got there. They ended up not opening the gates until around 5:45. I was one of the first 10 or so people in and we all sprinted to get our front row spots on the lawn.

When I first got a view of the lawn I saw 4 or 5 blue tarps with security guards around them, not 1 like I was told. I gave it my best guess and ended up picking the wrong blue tarp. It ended up being the one with the tent over it, but I had assumed that area was for something else...I know, I'm an idiot. I didn't mind really though, because despite the fact that they were a third the price of my Verizon Center tickets for the past two shows, the front row of the lawn had a hell of a lot better view than those seats.

Kitty, Daisy, and Louis were alright. That girl is really talented, but it's just not my style of music. Elbow was quite impressive. They sounded better live than they do in the studio.

When The Blue Danube came on, the crowd was still yapping and not even paying attention or clapping or anything. Coldplay came on just in time, right at 9 o'clock, and that was when they finally shut up.

One highlight was during a song (can't remember which one), Chris introduced Jonny as "the nicest man in the world...Mr Jonathan Buckland...he's 15 years old!". I laughed pretty hard at that, but maybe you just had to be there to find it funny.

At one point, Chris asked if everyone was ready to be louder than they'd ever been on a Friday. The whole crowd yelled back "THURSDAY!". The look on Chris's face was priceless; he had no idea what we were saying. After the song was over Jonny pointed out to him that it was a Thursday. :P

When Viva la Vida started playing, the crowd was at it's loudest. This really disappointed me, but it explained why the crowd was so weak. They were mostly newer fans whose first Coldplay song was Viva la Vida.

When Coldplay started moving towards the c stage, there was a huge rush to get over there. I managed to get about ten feet away from the band in a big sweaty mob of teenagers screaming "OMG HE'S SO HOT!". (They were talking about me of course, not Chris)

A lot of people started leaving after they finished Death And All His Friends. I couldn't help giving them the finger as they walked by. What a bunch of assholes. It's disrespectful to walk out when the band has two songs left to play. Even when Chris came back out to tell everyone about LeftRightLeftRightLeft, they kept walking. I was furious.

I'm really glad they've gone back to playing The Scientist on piano. That's the way it was meant to be played.

I haven't been a huge fan of Coldplay using pretty much the SAME set list for an entire year, but the addition of Glass of Water, Life in Technicolor ii, and Green Eyes helped keep things fresh. One thing I noticed tonight was that since I last saw Coldplay back in October, they've become a hundred times better. They've really got this routine down to a science.

Viva Coldplay.

I understand that if this is your first Coldplay show, it was probably the coolest thing in the world... because seeing Coldplay is always going to be awesome.

But I thought they were better when I saw them last in Raleigh, in 2005. The B and C stage concept is cool but God Put A Smile/Talk feel like filler songs, Green Eyes/Death feel way too short, and with all the time it takes to get between each stage - I'd rather them just stay on the main stage and play 2 or 3 more full songs. Billie Jean was pretty cool though, I must say.

Some of the songs didn't translate live as well as I'd hoped - Lost, Strawberry Swing, Glass of Water in particular. And even though they played for almost 2 hours, it felt like a short concert because of the already mentioned time in between stage changes, and how the setlist was so planned, songs never really ended... they just kind of went right into another.

Coldplay is still awesome and it was still a really great show, I just wanted to offer up an opinion of something different than "OMG I LOVE COLDPLAY AMAZING SHOW"

Oh, and Elbow was fantastic... Grounds for Divorce is such a kickass tune.