✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Noise In Lovers in Japan

Prospekt1118

• 3 weeks later...

I had some problems with the 'noise' as well. I thought it was a synth. I have no idea what those effects are, I'm an acoustic guitarist, sorry.

But you might find this cover to be of interest:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnKJW9KVbsA]YouTube - Coldplay - Lovers In Japan - Guitar Cover[/ame]

I think he's getting his tabs from here: http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=mn0074634

i'd use loads and loads of reverb, distortion mid way up but at high level... and 2 delays, both set at "2" (2 miliseconds i guess, however: EXTREMELY short) with 100 repeats and at full level

that's what i'm trying at the moment, works e-bowish on certain notes (depends on delay, 2 = C# is sustained, probably due to some weird recoil; 1 = B)

Reverb is correct, crank it up nothing is to much on this one. But he uses an intense rack unit that melds them all together. Listen to Life in Technicolor, its in there too.

Edit: By the way good cover! It would be better done with Hummbuckers though.

"A Leslie is essentially a rotating speaker, listen to Hotel California to get what I mean."

Actually, the leslie effect is on the keyboard/synth part as opposed to the guitar part. It is the most prominent effect in large portions of the song though.

I lover this song mainly because of the nerdiness behind it. Lovers has to be one of their most nerdy songs musically wise since what if.

The Leslie speaker and push tacks in the piano (forget what its called). Jonny's weird set up that no one seems to know what is used.

I can hear the leslie on the piano now too. Can that drone be that of the leslie? Because when the lyrics kick in I can now hear clear arpeggios of the chords. I have known for some time there are 3 layers of Jon's guitar on this and 2 pianos as well....

"I can hear the leslie on the piano now too. Can that drone be that of the leslie? Because when the lyrics kick in I can now hear clear arpeggios of the chords. I have known for some time there are 3 layers of Jon's guitar on this and 2 pianos as well...."

I believe the droning sound is indeed a leslie. All I know for sure though as it's not something Jon is producing through his rig, because no gear in his live setup (at least for guitar) can be used a leslie Simulator. If I didn't know better. I'd swear he had a rotosphere in his pedal setup.

As a keyboard player I would achieve this effect by messing with the decay and release/sustain. Bascially you turn all these up. I would add a very slow tremolo with not alot of depth to create the rotary effect. Being as techincal as Jonny is, it is possible he has found a way to take concepts usually applied to a keyboard or synth and make it work on guitar. This could be done by a variety of ways, and is probably easier than we think. I would say though there is more than just pedals achieving it, there is likely rack gear involved.

"There is a new very very accurate leslie simulator on the market. Perhaps he used it?"

For recording perhaps...(though he can certainly afford a vintage Leslie cabinet, so my guess would be he used the real thing.) However, as we have a full list of both his pedals and rack gear, if he's using some kind of simulator, it's either tied into his MIDI keyboard, or incorporated into the backing track.

"It would have to be incorporated into his rack gear, since the simulation is not a MIDI."

I misspoke. I meant to say that there could be some kind of pedal/fx setup on the MIDI keyboard as opposed to coming from it itself. Many guitar effects can be rigged through keyboard setups (Notably Edge uses a guitar delay pedal to add delay to his keyboard parts.)

"I wonder how well an ebow + effects would work for the sound? Anyone willing to try? (I haven't had a chance to buy one yet, as I don't have an electric)"

I've been practicing with a friend's E-bow for a while, and While I'm not very skilled with it, from my experience it would be very hard to modulate the sound with it at the tempo of LiJ. Will try it out as soon as I can...