✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Big Day Out 2010

deaths_friend

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's 34C in Melbourne on BDO, it isn't going to rain. Weird weather shit generally happens when you look at the TV displaying the temp and say "oh, that sounds pretty nice". It will generally either be overcast and stuffy, partly cloudy, cloudless sky of doom or switching in between those.

Yeah 34, it will rain or have a cool change early arvo. Foxtel's weather channel dont lie.

Just watched channel V's SHITHOUSE coverage. Got a muse interview, and 3 muse songs at the end. Starlight looked fucking EPIC and sent shivers down my spine. I think the neighbours heard me singing. Cannot wait for tues.

As for getting into the D, it kinda looked like from the tv that everyone left when the mars volta played. So after lilly allen... might be a good time for me to go in. That sound fair? Also, I am wondering if the fireworks are evry night considering the first night in syd was only the 99th lol...

Yeah 34, it will rain or have a cool change early arvo. Foxtel's weather channel dont lie.

Just watched channel V's SHITHOUSE coverage. Got a muse interview, and 3 muse songs at the end. Starlight looked fucking EPIC and sent shivers down my spine. I think the neighbours heard me singing. Cannot wait for tues.

As for getting into the D, it kinda looked like from the tv that everyone left when the mars volta played. So after lilly allen... might be a good time for me to go in. That sound fair? Also, I am wondering if the fireworks are evry night considering the first night in syd was only the 99th lol...

I know a lot of Muse fans started waiting during Lily Allen, at where I was standing anyways. I have no idea on when the D closed last night though, I couldn't exactly see the entrance from where I was standing.

As for the fireworks, I think last night's display was just a practice for tonight. They were kinda ... messy? :laugh3:

Oh thanks, and u say you got front row? Seems like the crowd didnt get into muse as much as I expected...

Yeah, I was surprised I got both my sister and I on front row.

Well I don't have V so I didn't watch the footage but the crowd around me seemed into it, especially during Time Is Running Out. The crowd was definitely moving during that song.

nah I'm not a fan, just wondering thats all. Any other recommendation for acts that were on during the day, or ones I should skip (I'll utilise this time to go into the drinking tent lol)

Oh, okay. :)

Personally I quite enjoyed Eskimo Joe, I've seen them three times already but their shows are very ... tamed?

Dizzee Rascal was actually really fun to watch. I don't listen to his music at all really, well with the exception of whatever song of his is on the radio, but I'd say he was on of the highlights.

Lily Allen wasn't too bad but she talked too much between songs. :P

I didn't get to see Jet but I've seen them a few times on other occasions and they're definitely worth seeing.

And then of course there's Muse. They're definitely showed why they're the headlining band on Friday. :smug:

But yeah, that's just my opinion. :nice:

Hmm. I am torn. Jet and lilly are on at the same time. If I go to lily, I get a better spot for muse. Any help?

Well it really depends on how close you want to be for Muse.

If you want to see Jet, go see them and try to get a spot at the back of the D.

You'll be able to see the stage very clearly from there.

But if you want to be close to the front, I suggest you get to the D during Lily.

A lot of Muse fans started waiting during her set.

But don't take my "advice" too seriously.

I'm still not really an expert when it comes to festivals. :)

Warning : The following review contains minor spoilers

My Big "Day" Out started at 3am Friday morning when i woke up suddenly, suffering a pretty severe asthma attack which ended with half my guts on the kitchen floor. a bit of ventolin and i got a good 4hrs sleep. on my way to the venue i met up with mates and we reached the main entrance at around 10-20.

from the stories ive heard from other people about BDO, they're infamous for over the top security but when we arrived at the gates for the checks i was pushed through before i even opened my bag properly. no checking for "sealed" bottles nor any checks by drug sniffer dogs. so if you want to take drugs into BDO just make sure you arrive nice and early and you'll be fine.

anyways we got in way earlier than expected so we wondered around and got to know the place as the maps we had were completely useless. the best thing about the sydney BDO is that the Essential and Green Stages are side by side so you can catch alot of bands without really having to move . first up for us was Lisa Mitchell but in waiting for her we involuntarily ended up watching Miami Horror whose lead singer turned up in a Brandon-Flowers-Day&Age-Era feather coat thing. despite being familiar with their music i still found them to be insufferable.

Lisa Mitchell came out to an enormous crowd in front of the Green Stage and she didnt dissapoint. her voice was pitch perfect for the entire performance and her band was seamless. the only downer was when a coin was thrown during "Coin Laundry" which really pissed off Lisa, so much so she threatened to walk off if it happened again. thankfully the show ended uneventfully. we then walked 10 metres across to Tame Impala. having already seen the band i had high expectations. but unfortunately they gave a performance that can only be described as 'so-so'. the crowd at the end of the show was less than half of what it was at the start.

after a quick lunch we headed up into the main arena and took a seat up in the stands which gave us a decent view of Karnivool and some much needed shade. after that we mindlessly wandered around for 20mins before heading back to the Green/Essential Stages for Temper Trap, who i knew would draw a massive audience. and so right i was, the area was packed well before the band took to the stage. the band hit the stage with alot of energy and passion and the crowd reacted accordingly. unsurprisingly Sweet Disposition was the highlight. during the song i found myself being a little sentimental, thinking back to when i was first blown away by the song back in late-ish 2008 and how it has gradually become a worldwide hit.

straight after temper trap was Passion Pit on the Essential Stage. not being totally familar with their music i found them to be quite the bore. initially the plan was to hang around that area for a little longer and get a good spot for The Horrors but the extreme heat and the fact that they would bore the shit out of my mates lead to us deciding to put all of our stuff into a bag and dump that in the cloak room then drink alot of water eat what ever we could find, take a leak before making out way to the "D" entry and camp ourselves there in order to get the best possible spot for Muse without too much trouble.

we arrived at the "D" just as the Hilltop Hoods were finishing at 5. they weren't allowing anyone to enter so there was a considerable line at the gate. just as dizzee rascal started they temporarily opened the gate and let the first 100 or so people in. it was after that, that the chaos started. me and my mates were about 5 metres from the entry in a swarming mass of people desperate to get into the D. within moments things turned very very dangerous, a group of morons towards the end of the line attempted to force their way to the front of the line leading to a massive crowd crush at the gates. there were helpless girls being crushed everywhere, some pleading to get out of the area but their screams were to no avail. after 10 agonising minutes the security finally opened the gates and thats when pure anarchy broke out. people began to surge forward from both sides of the gates trying to be the first through the 50cm wide metal gates. my memory of the next minute or so is pretty blurred but i remember alot of screaming swearing and short skinny girls being turned into pancakes. next thing i remember is running up to my mate shouting "how the fuck did we get out of that ALIVE"

anyways we were relieved to be finally in the D. not so relieved to discover we would have to survive 45mins of dizzee rascal, half way through his set i wished i was back in the crush. but thankfully he ended his set with some of his bigger songs which i enjoyed a fair bit. next up was Lily Allen on the Orange Stage. now being a closet Lily fan i was quietly looking forward to her set. but she came out sounding like some Chinese pop star with an impossibly squeaky high voice. they fixed that up after a few songs and bar a random hip-hop section it was a decent set.

after a couple of minutes The Mars Volta's highly anticipated set began. despite not knowing much about the band i had great expectations of their musicianship and they really did live upto expectations in the first 20mins. but sadly by the end of the set i found myself almost dozing off to sleep as the band did massively long jam sessions which seemed to go no where. the moment they left the stage, things sprung to life inside the D, the powderfinger fans moved over to the opposite side and the hardcore muse fans took their places right in front of the Blue Stage. since i was only a matter of metres from the front of the 'Muse' stage i only heard the powderfinger gig and they were spectacular. the muse fans showed alot of respect to the band and nothing will ever beat singing along to their megahits with everyone. i felt this wonderful warmth inside as the crowd drowned out Bernard.

then the madness began all over again. bodies were once again squashed against each other and agro bogans were attempting to make their way to the front. but thankfully the muse fans stood their ground and only a few unwelcome drunks broke through to the front. as the stage transformed into Muse mode i was directly in front of Matt's mic and about 10 metres back (could of gone closer but didnt want to be crushed) the next 80mins were just amazing. i lost immeasurable amounts of water through sweat and was drenched in the bodily fluids of the people around me. every part of my body ached by the end of it, my friends were no where to be seen and i couldnt believe that i had yet again survived such chaos.

it will be a day i will never ever forget. an experience unlike anything ive gone through before. certain aspects of the organisation angered me, such as how easy it was to find a bottle of water for $5 yet it was impossible to find the "free water" we were promised. and i am still puzzled at why they didnt use the hose on the crowd during Muse. it was rather bizarre to hear 100s of us screaming "we want water! we want water!" at the security. it felt as if we were in some sort of refugee camp lol. but just as Pez said in his Festival Song "we'll save up and do it all over again next year"

i will give more details once all the BDO's are over.

^^ Wow, nice review! :)

Yeah, I was quite surprised at the security at the main gates.

My sister and I arrived at around 1.30pm and we basically just walked straight through.

No ID check, no bag search, nothing.

I didn't really get the chance to see any other the acts outside of the D.

I only really saw the people performing on the Blue Stage and just watched the Orange Stage on the screens.

The entrance for the D was ridiculously small.

I'm like a very, very small build and I barely fit through the gates!

As for the water, my sister and I could not for the life of us find the free water that was promised.

We ended up having to go back to those 3 bottles for $10 stands twice.

The amount of times I got sprayed with the hose was not funny, though I have to admit they didn't really spray the crowd during Muse.

Instead, everyone around me kept getting offered cups of water instead.

Brilliant review! That definitely sounds like the true trials and tribulations that only the Big Day Out experience can provide. Sounds like you had an amazing day.. and you went in quite early for Muse. That is the only thing that worries me. Having gone to last year's big day out, It definitely helps, as I will know where everything is. And I am planning to be camped over by the green and converse stages all day until about 5:30, which will make things a lot easier logistically. Not taking a bag in - that was my big mistake last year, its just an inconvenience to carry around. It's gonna be 30 degrees with possible showers tomorrow, which sounds perfect. Even if I dont get into the D, last year we were on the edge of it, outside, and still got very good views of both stages. Considering I like powderfinger (and bernard fannings voice lol) and Muse a lot, this might be a good option if I miss out on the D.

Once again, my plan for the day:

30hn1c9.jpg