✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Green Eyes Meaning

theColdplayer

Hello Coldplay fans of the world. I've been trying to discover more information on the meanings of Coldplay songs or who they've been written for. It irrates me to a high degree to listen to a song when I have no idea who its about or what its about.

So..to get to the point..it would be really helpful if someone could find out OFFICIALLY who "Green Eyes" was written for...I don't think Gwenyth has green eyes..Thanks! :D

Chris said somewhere that the song was written for some american friend of him.....

But I stil think that its for Jonny....:sneaky:

And what enfforces my theory is that Guy dont like to play it live, as this vid shows us.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjvX-EHfam8]YouTube - GREEN EYES[/ame]

He most be secrety jelous bc Chris didnt wrote a soong for him...

Poor Guy... :hug::guy:

That's funny, I was listening to this on the way home today and thinking the exact same thing, WHO is Green Eyes about! I think it's noteworthy to say that the song is not a sexy, "I love you, baby" kind of love song (or one of Chris' "I miss you, I'm sorry" love songs.) I personally think it's about Jonny, Chris is singing about a friend who is his rock, who shares the spotlight with him. He helps to take the load of Chris' shoulders. I tend to think of Jonny whenever I hear it. Of course, we'll never, ever really know....

I thought he never had a girlfriend....

Chris said somewhere that the song was written for some american friend of him.....

Well, the Oracle had answered it before :D

December 18, 2008 - submitted by Daan, United Kingdom

Q. Dear Oracle thingy magingy all-knowing Jim bob person, Having read through fourscore Oracle postings, my question is probably too much related to Coldplay for you to answer, but it's about Green Eyes. When I listened to it for the first time, I thought it was a gem because I immediately thought it was about Gwyneth, and that extra meaning just transformed it into a sparkly rainbow of a song. But I just read on a forum that Chris denied it's about her during a performance, at the time saying coldplay was gonna stop performing it too because it was always wrongly associated with her. Ok, so what is the real story behind this song? According to something else Chris said, it's got something to do with an "American friend". I hope that's not too personal a question for him. If he says it is, just tell him I'm a UCL student and he'll be like "way to go! I'll tell ya". Let me take this opportunity to say they are quite an inspiration to all UCL students, that 4 ordinary guys, well clever but ordinary, homey chaps, can make it big like that.

The Oracle replies:

Cheeky! Green Eyes was written about an "American friend" yes but also about Jonny. It has been played sporadically but I guess Chris got sick of being asked and rested it for a while, but since it was written before they met... you can see that it isn't.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah

From what I've read it's an American friend he clearly had a crush on, but it all went wrong and that's why he now doesn't like to sing it anymore, saying it's like pulling on a pair of old trousers.

That makes sense to me, and anyone else who'v been rejected in the love department before.

That's probably all of us.

• 2 weeks later...

AHAHAHAH this is funny! i was listening to this on my way home today and i was thinking, im going to start a thread about this song! turns out i don't have to now! lol

Its defff for jonny!! at least i think so, if you listen and think about jonny you can see that it would be!

when ever it says honey you .... I always sat Jonny you.. :P and it sounds so much better! <3

When I saw them in Pittsburgh, I was in the first row at the c-stage and when Chris sang Green Eyes, he looked at Jonny and was giving him googly eyes and said "My green eyes" when he looked at him and Jonny was laughing...so I yelled to my mom, who was beside me, "He's doing that because Jonny has green eyes!" Chris totally heard me and told Jonny right after the song and they started laughing...and I definitely have a picture of it. :D

So, now they're my friends b/c I made them laugh. hahaha Or at least, that's what I tell myself. :)

And what enfforces my theory is that Guy dont like to play it live, as this vid shows us.

He most be secrety jelous bc Chris didnt wrote a soong for him...

Poor Guy... :hug::guy:

OMG. Hah. I've never seen that before. Where did Guy go?!

OMG. Hah. I've never seen that before. Where did Guy go?!

i don't know but i really want to!!! i searched around a bit lol and it said that the show they played the night before both jonny and guy left before the encore to "get drunk and find prostitutes" as chris said so maybe he had a date :P