🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Coldplay End of Decade Clearout Sale (catalogue discussion pg43 onwards, winning item pics pg151 onw

inengsol1500

Eee! Nice pics :D

But eek! MAKE SURE you get a voltage converter if you are going to plug it in, or you could burn up the globe and your house with it. And make sure any adapter or converter you use can handle the watts needed or it will likely burn out too.

Lightbulbs take a very high wattage. That's why you're going to have trouble. In the UK voltage is much higher so for the same number of watts, things draw much less current. Less current means smaller more fragile wires that could burn up if they suddenly started drawing twice as much current to supply the wattage needed at a lower voltage. (Watts = Voltage x Current) Smaller things might not matter so much, but power-wise a light bulb is a big thing.

If walmart doesn't have what you need, try Radio Shack- the person there should know enough to tell you which one you would need for a light bulb as long as you looked up the electrical info on the globe. (If you're very, very lucky it might be rated for both the US and UK.)

Thanks for the info! I think I'll just take a picture of the plug (it has some of that info) and the base (other info), and just show it to them so they can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the info! I think I'll just take a picture of the plug (it has some of that info) and the base (other info), and just show it to them so they can point me in the right direction.

The main thing you need to know is the wattage it's rated for, and the wattage of the bulb it uses. (That will be closer to what's actually used.) It might also give the current ie. something like 2.5A or 3A.

It will probably also say something like 240V~ 50Hz. If it says 110-240V~ 50-60Hz, you're in luck!- it's already built for the US, so you only need an adapter that can handle the wattage.

The main thing you need to know is the wattage it's rated for, and the wattage of the bulb it uses. (That will be closer to what's actually used.) It might also give the current ie. something like 2.5A or 3A.

It will probably also say something like 240V~ 50Hz. If it says 110-240V~ 50-60Hz, you're in luck!- it's already built for the US, so you only need an adapter that can handle the wattage.

Well, how about I just let you know what's on each piece:

Plug

E with three lines next to it (I'm assuming this refers to European)

BS1363/A

250V

13A (with an N slightly below it)

PMS (I think this looks like a logo of some company)

Base of Globe

Max 25 Watt - 250V - ?

The ? is because there's likely something printed next to it, but it is covered by one of the four pieces of felt that was placed on the base to keep it from slipping off the piano/etc., and I'd rather not peel that off if I can avoid it.

I guess my thing is this. Let's pretend it is already good to go (self converted), but I can't tell. So, I buy a converter in addition to the adapter. Using a converter when it's already "self converted"... will 2 rights make a wrong and kaboom? I know that may sound silly, but I just want to do whatever is safest.

Plug

BS1363/A

250V

Base of Globe

Max 25 Watt - 250V - ?

The ? is because there's likely something printed next to it, but it is covered by one of the four pieces of felt that was placed on the base to keep it from slipping off the piano/etc., and I'd rather not peel that off if I can avoid it.

I guess my thing is this. Let's pretend it is already good to go (self converted), but I can't tell. So, I buy a converter in addition to the adapter. Using a converter when it's already "self converted"... will 2 rights make a wrong and kaboom? I know that may sound silly, but I just want to do whatever is safest.

That's why i vote you ask debs.

That will be your safest bet.

:D

Plug

BS1363/A

250V

Base of Globe

Max 25 Watt - 250V - ?

Yes, you need a voltage converter which is rated for at least 30 watts or more. (25watts... means it must take one of those tiny decorarive bulbs?) I'll double check with a teacher in the morning, but it looks like it was only meant for Europe.

I'm an electronics tech (in training) if you're wondering. I'm used to different values so I will double check tomorrow, but the principles are the same- haven't been studying this stuff for the last year and a half for nothing. :tongue: ;)

" One more photo, same guitar after a couple of minutes of elbow grease, got rid of the grotty bits. Not sure what to do about the strings, they have a little rust and are a bit grotty as well. On one side I would like to keep it as I got it (apart from a little polish) but if I'm going to play it they'll probably need to be replaced. "

@ Rickenbacker

I re-stringed the Fender, though I did not cut the original strings. They are now labeled "original Jonny Buckland strings" :lol: I am sure I will keep them forever.

One more photo, same guitar after a couple of minutes of elbow grease, got rid of the grotty bits. Not sure what to do about the strings, they have a little rust and are a bit grotty as well. On one side I would like to keep it as I got it (apart from a little polish) but if I'm going to play it they'll probably need to be replaced.

th_IMG_0833.jpg

I looks so beautiful, especially on the deep red chair :heart:

I still haven't seen pictures of it in live action, I'm sorry!

Do you know webshots.com?

Most pictures are from the X&Y era but I found some unseen-before pics in there.

You could try skimming through. Link here.

Yes, you need a voltage converter which is rated for at least 30 watts or more. (25watts... means it must take one of those tiny decorarive bulbs?) I'll double check with a teacher in the morning, but it looks like it was only meant for Europe.

I'm an electronics tech (in training) if you're wondering. I'm used to different values so I will double check tomorrow, but the principles are the same- haven't been studying this stuff for the last year and a half for nothing. :tongue: ;)

Yes, on the base of the globe it says it is a bayonette bulb (I'm assuming that's a tiny decorative bulb as you mentioned). Quite frankly I think it is actually in the stem leading up to the globe, not the globe itself, but I could be wrong.

In any event, I look forward to your response from your teacher. But, I think I'll probably just pick up a voltage converter on the way home regardless.

Thanks for all your help Space Cadet! I, and all the other globe-admirers here, appreciate it!

Yes, on the base of the globe it says it is a bayonette bulb (I'm assuming that's a tiny decorative bulb as you mentioned). Quite frankly I think it is actually in the stem leading up to the globe, not the globe itself, but I could be wrong.

In any event, I look forward to your response from your teacher. But, I think I'll probably just pick up a voltage converter on the way home regardless.

Thanks for all your help Space Cadet! I, and all the other globe-admirers here, appreciate it!

Hey Carrie :)

Bayonette means it is one that has the 2 little things that stick out and slot into the fixture (am I making sense?!?!) as opposed to a screw in bulb.

Well, at least in Australia! :P

Hope you get it sorted SOON!!!

Ok, double-checked. Just get the converter. If you give it the power it's originally meant to get it will be happy. And it's too valuable to risk anything else.

Though I would love to hear from the Oracle if it's been to the US before...

Ok, double-checked. Just get the converter. If you give it the power it's originally meant to get it will be happy. And it's too valuable to risk anything else.

Though I would love to hear from the Oracle if it's been to the US before...

Yes, I will definitely get the converter on the way home then. I want the globe to be happy. I mean I'm not going to plug it in much anyway, mainly just for taking pictures sometime during the next few days.

But it would be cool to ask the Oracle too to see if s/he/it will respond, so I will try. :D (Actually, I think the Oracle is a 'he' based on one of today's Q&A's).

It's a she ;)

You'll find her identity in one of the Oracle-threads here.

:uhoh:

But.. oh, now I'm confused...

February 5, 2010 - submitted by Cris, United States of America

Q. Sexy oracle!

There's this older man at work I just want to kiss!

We've flirted for a couple months now... but I think he's quitting... and I think he might be married :/!

What do I do!??

The Oracle replies:

What do you do? You find out if he is married or not and if he is you stay away from him. I hate to appear judgemental and so hope you see this purely as my opinion on such things - since you asked for it...

I don't believe there is such a thing as innocent flirting and from experience it usually ends up with someone getting hurt. This man is not available so do not pursue your feelings. I value trust, honesty and loyalty and think that if you do too you will have your self-respect intact no matter what. If it's meant to be it will be but that doesn't mean you have to get involved with anyone who is already involved with someone else.

That said seeing as thought you started with "sexy oracle", what you doing later?;)

So that must mean that "she" likes other shes?... :confused:

I have a doubt. If I send a question to oracle on friday he can choose my question? And he can answer me on monday? Or it's better make a question in business days...?

It doesn't really matter which day. Even if s/he only answers on weekdays (business days), s/he considers all questions regardless of which day they are asked.

Good news, this morning I bought both an adapter and a voltage converter, plugged the globe into the adapter, into the converter, and then into outlet, crossed my fingers and winced and then flipped the switch and...

Yay! It lights up wonderfully. Thanks to everyone who provided advice, especially Space Cadet (and Space Cadet's teacher ;)).

I will take lots of pics tomorrow (I would take them today, but if I took all those pics while my hubby's here he'll think I'm insane). So, if any of you have any special requests, let me know. :D Something tells me I will get carried away and there will be an atrocious amount of picspam in this thread later on Sunday.