✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What were your first thoughts on VLVODAAHF?

aarontennies

I was really excited when Violet Hill came out but the record itself took a bit of adjusting to. It's sort of more self-contained in comparison to the earlier "trilogy." It stands somewhere else all by itself.

I'm glad the songs fit in so well in the live show though. Cemeteries of London, the EP version of LiT and Viva La Vida in particular

First I was blinded by their past and his ice cold blue eyes and thought it was alright.

I soon came back to reality and realized it was utter shit compared to their past.

Complete and utter shite.

It kept me up all night, up all night.

Oh, but you've gotta love those lyrics;

Those who are dead are not dead, they're just living in my head.

I MEAN PURE UUTTER BRILLIANCE THAT YOU SAY SOMETHING IS SOMETHING, AND THE SAY IT ISN'T.

I MEAN SRSLY, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

I'd be a fan since 2002 and I had gone through an initial love of X & Y and then quite a falling out with the album over time. Needless to say, I had never been more excited for an album in my life when Viva was on its way. I joined this site around that time. I learned lots of new things.

When Violet Hill came out and I heard it on their website, I was initially taken aback. It was, in my mind at the time, so very different from all their other songs. It seemed harder and louder. Of course, I was thinking that not having listened to Politik in a while...:rolleyes:

Anyways, when Chris brought that song home on the piano at the end, I was hooked. I literally listened to that song a hundred times before Viva (the song) was released next. Over and over again, out loud. It drove my family crazy. Then Viva came out and I felt the song. I have to say, I never felt like Chris was that great at painting pictures in his lyrics. He can use great imagery and metaphors, but I never felt any larger than real life in his songs. (To clarify, I mean that Chris's songs are usually quite broad about what he is talking about. I think the only songs that have more story like styles were The Scientist and Amsterdam, and even they were limited in that way.) Viva la Vida and Violet Hill changed that for me. They were...artistic. They were large. The colors I saw when I closed my eyes listening to those songs were amazing. I thought about how I would make the music videos for the song (let's just say how Coldplay chose to do VLV was a bit of a disappointment).

I apologize for droning on, but Viva is my favorite of all albums ever (this coming from a Coldplay fan who does not necessarily see them at the center of the music world, although they are my favorite band).

When the full album came out, and I heard Life in Technicolor as it rose to perfection to that final "yell" of the band in unison, I could have jumped with happiness. Every song on that album pulled it home for me. Every song had something to offer. Every song contributed to the album in its own way. The reason I find the album so perfect is because it's one of the few albums where I did not skip to songs I liked for at least a year and a half after it came out. I listened to it all the way through every time.

Even now, I still find new parts of songs I like. I've gone to sort of excepting the "mainstream" pull of songs like Lost! and Lovers in Japan to absolutely loving them. I would say Reign of Love is the only song the album I skip now (rarely at that).

I've said a lot, which I feel slightly stupid about. It's hard for me not to get excited about this album though. I still listen to it all the time. No music has ever been so present in my life. Then when Prospekt's came out, well...it brought it home. The Viva la Vida era is my favorite era of music from any band at any time. And besides a more mixed/positive (rather than simply positive) view of X & Y, I've always loved Coldplay. They've been my favorite band since 2002.

After saying all this, I can still say that The Scientist is my favorite song. But Viva la Vida. Well, I've heard no album as perfect.

I just found out Viva La Vida is a rap song, via Youtube.

To be honest, I did like VLVODAAHF, but just.. songs.

Strawberry Swing, DAAHF and Chinese Sleep Chant, Violet Hill and I guess the last part of 42 are the only ones I can say that are good.

I didn't love the album, like X&Y ... <3

Even tho I heard of Coldplay from VLV, which is weird.

X & Y really disappointed me so i was a little judgmental abt viva and i hated most of the album at first, the only song i loved were 42 and death and all his friends but over time i fell in love with the album. viva did something whc X & Y could never do and thats grow on me.

I became a fan from Viva, but to be completely honest, I have grown to like everything else much more. They have no ballads on this album, nothing deep, nothing that means something to me, and its just a little bland 2 years on... whereas the previous 3 are magical x number of years on. Lovers in Japan get's me every time, one of the greatest things Ive ever heard, but the rest of the record leaves me wanting too much more. :(

^^Gosh I feel bad saying that, I really do.

I was going to buy it at the store, but my husband insisted on downloading it and making a cd for me. I gave in. Of course he burned a crappy quality cd, because he loves me so much. Even so, first impression... I thought it was shit. No joke. I loved Violet Hill, but the rest... I ejected it from the player (in my car) and chucked it into the passenger seat. I didn't listen to it again until March of 2009. I'm not kidding. And even then it was only because I had purchased tickets to the concert, so I thought I'd better familiarize myself with the songs. After actually going out and purchasing the cd, I gave it another listen. I soon loved it. I still think Reign of Love and the Escapist are poo, but I love the rest. :heart:

I Really did like the album; but for me I prefer their older stuff. I guess it's a bit more cheery and they were aiming to Win over new fans, which they have certainly done. I fell in love with Parachutes because it's more simple yet it's still so amazing. I Bought X&Y and Parachutes both at the same time because I'd been meaning to for a while and I Really got into Coldplay, I Ordered AROBTTH and VLVODAAHF at the same time and immediately listened to them both. AROBTTH Struck me as being the better album but I love it still. I Guess I've done everything backwards; buying parachutes and X&Y first. :D

To footyfan10

I'd be a fan since 2002 and I had gone through an initial love of X & Y and then quite a falling out with the album over time. Needless to say, I had never been more excited for an album in my life when Viva was on its way. I joined this site around that time. I learned lots of new things.

When Violet Hill came out and I heard it on their website, I was initially taken aback. It was, in my mind at the time, so very different from all their other songs. It seemed harder and louder. Of course, I was thinking that not having listened to Politik in a while...:rolleyes:

Anyways, when Chris brought that song home on the piano at the end, I was hooked. I literally listened to that song a hundred times before Viva (the song) was released next. Over and over again, out loud. It drove my family crazy. Then Viva came out and I felt the song. I have to say, I never felt like Chris was that great at painting pictures in his lyrics. He can use great imagery and metaphors, but I never felt any larger than real life in his songs. (To clarify, I mean that Chris's songs are usually quite broad about what he is talking about. I think the only songs that have more story like styles were The Scientist and Amsterdam, and even they were limited in that way.) Viva la Vida and Violet Hill changed that for me. They were...artistic. They were large. The colors I saw when I closed my eyes listening to those songs were amazing. I thought about how I would make the music videos for the song (let's just say how Coldplay chose to do VLV was a bit of a disappointment).

I apologize for droning on, but Viva is my favorite of all albums ever (this coming from a Coldplay fan who does not necessarily see them at the center of the music world, although they are my favorite band).

When the full album came out, and I heard Life in Technicolor as it rose to perfection to that final "yell" of the band in unison, I could have jumped with happiness. Every song on that album pulled it home for me. Every song had something to offer. Every song contributed to the album in its own way. The reason I find the album so perfect is because it's one of the few albums where I did not skip to songs I liked for at least a year and a half after it came out. I listened to it all the way through every time.

Even now, I still find new parts of songs I like. I've gone to sort of excepting the "mainstream" pull of songs like Lost! and Lovers in Japan to absolutely loving them. I would say Reign of Love is the only song the album I skip now (rarely at that).

I've said a lot, which I feel slightly stupid about. It's hard for me not to get excited about this album though. I still listen to it all the time. No music has ever been so present in my life. Then when Prospekt's came out, well...it brought it home. The Viva la Vida era is my favorite era of music from any band at any time. And besides a more mixed/positive (rather than simply positive) view of X & Y, I've always loved Coldplay. They've been my favorite band since 2002.

After saying all this, I can still say that The Scientist is my favorite song. But Viva la Vida. Well, I've heard no album as perfect.

:shocked2: Holy crap. This is seriously SOOOO similar to what I was going post, it's INSANE. Even right down to the colors I see when I listen to the whole album... amazing that you can feel the exact same way as I do about this album without ever having met.

Quite honestly, VLVODAAHF is exactly the same way for me. It's my most favorite music era from any band ever, as you've said. This says a lot for me since, I too do not see Coldplay as the center of all music, although they are by far my favorite band. I agree with how Chris painted images with his lyrics on this album unlike any other. Like you, I was also disappointed by the VLV video. Although I do love the story-style songs, and always have from any band/singer, these songs were totally different because they spoke to me in a way music never had before. I had considered myself a fan of theirs since Yellow debuted, but I had never owned an album of theirs (since my older bro was a huge fan and I'd just listen to his). VLV changed all that for me.

When Violet Hill came out, I actually didn't even know. I was in my second year of teaching and was insanely busy starting my graduate school that I was oblivious to the world for a while. It wasn't until I was making the long drive to my parents' house in September 2008 that I heard VLV. I was instantly hooked. I searched the radio for 3 hours just to hear it again. Before even heading to their house, I think I stopped and picked up the album. I have been helplessly in love with their music ever since. Everything on that album just sounded so incredibly different to me that their other stuff. I couldn't believe it was them. The same boys I fell in love with when I was fifteen and listening to Yellow or Trouble or Don't Panic suddenly grew up into this kick-ass, larger than life, filling sound. Although many of their other songs had power and huge emotion behind them (A Message, Fix You, Politik, etc.), this album's approach to achieving that emotion and power just felt so different to me and blew my mind. It's one of the few albums I've listened to that I don't skip any songs, as you also said. I just think it is a true masterpiece. It made me rediscover all their other music, since I immediately went and bought all their other albums and joined the forum to listen to everything else they've ever done. haha

When Prospekt's March came out, it was one of the most anticipated moments of my life. I had never been so excited to get my hands on an album before. My husband bought it for me and it just completely brought it home for me. It kind of book-ended my love of VLVODAAHF for me. I loved the fact that they brought in Jay-Z for Lost +, since I totally called a rap solo from the second I heard Lost!, but I was disappointed by Jay's choice and delivery. I was hoping that song would cross them into this crazy hip-hop/rock realm and it kind of fell flat for me. I knew from the second I heard LiT that I wanted to hear more, so hearing LiTii was a dream. It was everything I'd hoped it would be.

Seeing them in concert during this era was incredibly special and bittersweet. I knew I was taking part in one of the most incredible musical moments everytime I saw them, but I also realized how they will never be able to replicate that. I am very excited to see what LP5 has in store but I am very hesitant as well. I think the only way to go forward and get better is to really do something terribly different. I think they need to find that emotion and power, but in a very subtle way.... but I digress. I just wanted to share my thoughts - the little that didn't match yours! Again, it truly is amazing how similarly people think and feel even though they've never met.

I was going to buy it at the store, but my husband insisted on downloading it and making a cd for me. I gave in. Of course he burned a crappy quality cd, because he loves me so much. Even so, first impression... I thought it was shit. No joke. I loved Violet Hill, but the rest... I ejected it from the player (in my car) and chucked it into the passenger seat. I didn't listen to it again until March of 2009. I'm not kidding. And even then it was only because I had purchased tickets to the concert, so I thought I'd better familiarize myself with the songs. After actually going out and purchasing the cd, I gave it another listen. I soon loved it. I still think Reign of Love and the Escapist are poo, but I love the rest. :heart:

That's really incredible... So weird to think that a big fan of theirs could chuck the cd... I'm glad you gave it another listen... it was certainly meant to be! :laugh3:

Even with the ice blue cold eyes... I still realized the amount of sheer shit that line is.

if you hated the album that much, you should stop being a fan now cause parachutes and a rush of blood to the head aint comin back!