✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[6-July-2011] Coldplay @ Optimus Alive Festival, Oeiras, Portugal

blue_girl

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

I just arrived from the concert. It was really great, Chris sounded great, the guys did a fantastic job and it was really wild at times. I have videos and photos, but I was a bit far away, not sure how it turned out.

Idk if there's anything extra I could add. Well, before Us Against the World Chris said "This song is called Us Against the World and it was written specifically for portuguese people." Which got people laughing and then he said something else but I couldn't hear it.

He also said they loved Blondie and dedicated one of the songs to them.

It was a really diverse crowd, sure these guys get to everyone.

It was awesome to see them 5 years after!! And I was so happy they did Shiver and Everything's not Lost, I hadn't seen the setlists they have been using, so it was a nice surprise. I also loved how they did God Put a Smile Upon your Face. It was one of the best moments of the night, it really got the crowd going.

I just can't wait to have them back.

Here's the setlist from last nights show:

e3ef0ebfe31442408745249be7921315_7.jpg

I was at the very right side of the stage, second row and around my area I had REALLY lovely & nice people who helped me to enjoy this show even more.

The crowd was really going berserk at times but since everyone missed out on the VLV tour, this is even more understandable ;)

I thought queueing up and the whole entry itself was quite poorly arranged.

The run to the stage was over 1 km, so I only ended up at my spot and not any better.

But it was completely okay, some of my pics turned out pretty good considering the distance but for some obvious reason, I have most of them from Guy :D :wink3:

I will post some of them on saturday when I get home as I am currently on my friends computer and need to resize the pics first.

I was a bit concerned at first as one of the other bands (Grouplove) had major sound problems (sound went down completely or better the speakers went down) so I had huge worries that Coldplay may suffer from this as well but the sound was just perfect & Chris's voice more than brilliant.

Raphaele texted me from the show to say that she and Lea (LilyC) had made front row, centre, and has since texted the following:

"Best show ever! Fantastic crowd! And have a look at VLV during which Chris and Jonny recognized us."

For anyone unaware, they were also at PinkPop, Rock Werchter, and Arras, and are now on their way to Ireland.

Quite a hectic schedule if you ask me!:stunned:

The last text I received read: "Boarding for Dublin. Exhausted, but wow!":rolleyes:

Well, I was there and made it to the front row :D

The whole thing was phenomenal!!! I had tried to lower my expectations so I wouldn't feel sad or anything afterwards but there was no need to because I was blown away from beginning to end.

It's not that strange considering it was my first Coldplay concert. However, I had been following the festivals they played at, watching the livestreams and everything, so I knew what was coming. But I really didn't :)

The setlist was basically the same, except for Shiver, as you know, and that was a complete, pleasant surprise. I couldn't believe they were playing that since we-know-who is always mentioned as being against playing it :P

Speaking of which, I had the misfortune (the only one though) of being in front of the camera and the man blocked my view of Guy for quite some time and of Chris a few times during the show. BUT I don't care because I still got a great experience out of it.

Saw a few roadies I recognized and Phil walked in front of me a couple of times, as he was taking pictures right in front of the stage. Little trivia: he smelled like coffee.

I was so blown away by everything, from the way they sounded so great live, the fact that they seemed genuinely happy and pleased with everything, the crowd that was really good and sang for most of the show (the new songs were not as well-known for most people), the lights, the confettis (I have a few M's and X's :D)......... everything was astonishing and overwhelming. I couldn't ask for a better show, really.

It doesn't matter if it was a truly exhausting day, for me, because in the end, that hour and a half more than made up for everything! I didn't think I could love them more,yet I do. They were truly wonderful.

I just loved the concert.

It was finally the first time I could see the band live. I left home at 5.15am, and after a almost 2 hour drive I arrived at the entrance. There I spent my morning waiting for the doors to open, and under a burning sun I waited for 15 hours.

And I only have to say that every second I waited was worth it to be in the front row.

Just amazing. I loved every aspect of their performance.Their presence,their passion to their music! Chris Martins voice was splendid!

The new songs aren't learned yet by the audience(at least near me where I stood) so when they played Us against the world I felt like I was singing along alone :P

Well, after this I just feel like I need to see them again,no matter what...I really hope that in their next tour they will include Portugal.

How did the crowd react on the new stuff?

Hurts Like Heaven was the first and with the fireworks people were really excited during the whole thing and singing the "so cold so cold".

Us Against the World, if I remember well people were reacting to it with clapping so I think the crowd was enjoying it, despite you seeing more people talking to each other during that song than any other. lol

I think people loved Charlie Brown, at least in the zone I was everyone was clapping and even jumping a bit to it.

MM, some people recognized it, some seemed distracted during it.

In general people seemed to enjoy everything.

Always interesting how different the reaction on Coldplay shows are with regard to the last festival in France and now in Lisbon.

@LoverinJapan

How did the crowd react on the new stuff? ;) Nice review by the way.

Thank you :nice:

Like whiteshadows said, even if people didn't know the lyrics or anything about the new songs, they seemed to enjoy it. During Us Against the World, they clapped and seemed to be quite fond of the song. The other ones are more upbeat and it made people move a little bit more, so it was embraced in that sense.

As I knew the lyrics to the new songs, I felt at times that I was the only one singing, although I heard someone singing Us Against the World behind me and I was really happy that more people knew about it.

It's interesting because outside, while we were waiting, people always seemed to want the old songs from the first two albums, but when Everything's Not Lost, Shiver and Life is For Living came on, there wasn't that much of a difference from newer ones. So, in the end, everyone was pretty much jubilant that Coldplay were there :D

It was a long wait, that's what seems to me. We want them here way more often ;)

With it being a festival it seemed people were more excited and reacted more to the songs from the last album or the most radio played ones. VLV got the biggest reaction out of all songs. It seemed like a collective orgasm... not even kidding, people went so wild.

Then of course Yellow, Violet Hill, The Scientist and Fix You got people really happy and singing along too. Oh, same with Every Teardrop. A lot of people seemed to be familiar with it and the concert went out with a bang.

Even though I was happy they played ENL and shiver and Politik, people around me weren't so familiar with Those. And I wish they were. That's a difference between being in a festival and a band's concert. I remember the last two Coldplay concerts here which were band's concert in a pavilion and people knew all those sings from beginning to end.

Everything's Not Lost was my most memorable moment from their concert here in 2003.

Little Miss Messy, Raphaele and the other girls i cant remember their names :blush: it was a big honour to meet you all !!:) I hope you enjoyed the gig in lisbon, i think it was really special.

Does anyone else see Phill taking pics and roadie 42 filming the show?

I'm sorry, I've got to say this in Portuguese... QUE PUTA DE CONCERTOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

it overcame all my expectations, really... I couldn't ask for a better concert, seriously, it was the best fuckin' evening in all my life :D

:lol: Leonor! Tive pena de nao te ver :( que concertão!!!