✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[3-July-2011] Coldplay @ Main Square Festival, Arras, France

coldplay12

What I have noticed at the Main Square Festival is that a lot of people can't enjoy music that doesn't make them dance. The day before Coldplay I have to endure "Jimmy eat world" before "Fleet Foxes". And what happened ? Even if people didn't know both bands they were jumping for "Jimmy Eat World" and looked depressive for "Fleet Foxes".

As r25d01 said music doesn't need to be entertaining to be good.

As I said, I don't disagree with that statement. In another setting, e.g. an underground dub club, or maybe sitting outside Cafe Mambo, I might well appreciate listening to Portishead.

However, I do feel that on a festival main stage, particularly for the later slots, non "depressing" or melancholy music should be chosen, for the sake of the atmosphere.

I wasn't at the festival on the Saturday, but I notice that Fleet Foxes were on the Greenroom stage, and played earlier than either PJ Harvey or Portishead did. If PJ and Portishead had been on the bill prior to Bruno Mars and Elbow, I probably wouldn't have had such an issue with it.

On the Saturday main stage, I know that all of the last five performers (White Lies, Kaiser Chiefs, The National, Arcade Fire and Moby) would have been entertaining, anway.;)

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And by the way, it's funny how it was apparently "fine" to take the p*ss out of Girls Aloud at Wembley (I remember quite a lot of discussion about it at the time, and don't remember anyone sticking up for them), but not PJ Harvey, for some reason.

I was there, so am fully aware of what was happening at the time. Surely they deserved some respect too, however much everyone (apparently) couldn't stand them? I would say they definitely didn't get it, anyhow.:dozey:

I am of course playing devil's advocate somewhat here (and I'm not saying I didn't find all the sarcastic shouts of "Cheryl" amusing), but based on what has already been said, wasn't it wrong for all the Coldplayers to assume that everyone was there only to see Coldplay?

After all, while the front section at Wembley appeared to be full of "hardcore" Coldplay fans, it's perfectly plausible that people a few rows behind may have been there purely for Girls Aloud's set, or Jay-Z's, IMO.;)

And anyway, performers deserve respect no more or less than anyone else. It should be universal.

We may have had a laugh amongst ourselves at their expense, but we did not disrupt their performance or disrupt it for those who actually wanted to see it...which is what you did.

That's all I'm gonna say, I don't want to argue, I've stated my opinion and you can place blame on others and argue that PJ Harvey wasn't appropriate all you want, but you're not gonna change it however much you try to convince yourself and others otherwise. Sorry.

A festival is not just made for one band nor their fans, if you don't like the line-up, then wait for the band to play actual shows.

And way to give a good impression of Coldplay fans, god I just hate die hard fans who can't listen to different music...

I'd rather listen to "depressive music", as long as it comes from a quality work, than purely entertaining music whose purpose is only to make the crowd dance.

All those mexican waves were totally rude and disrespectful, that's all I have to say.

I agree with that, of course. =)

Thanks for your considered, 'non-lecturing' opinion. I very much respect and appreciate that.:cool:

As you said in the "Charlie Brown" thread, it is all about opinions at the end of the day, and as the old saying goes, 'never the twain shall meet', so any further discussion is pointless.;)

Anyway, Viva ColdplayFrance and 'X and Coldplayers'! You guys were awesome!:cool:

:vuvuzela:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...