✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[3-July-2011] Coldplay @ Main Square Festival, Arras, France

coldplay12

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should bring back some festival memories for a few people!:P

I was on the right part of the scene but I saw you doing that during PJ Harvey.

Good idea to forget this horrible sound ! :P

I am for respect to the artists but here she didn't make much efforts to get us enthusiasic so... we spent our time as we could ! :D

That doesn't bring back good memories for me.

I really love PJ Harvey and it has completely ruined the show. People around me were respectfull and they just sat or waited and didn't bother those who wanted to see and hear the concert. I'm very grateful for that. That's what I call having respect for the artists AND the public.

I would love to see your reaction if the same thing had happened when Coldplay were on stage.

I didn't come to that festival just for Coldplay and I think it was the same for a lot of people. So next time just go to pee or eat if you don't like. That will be good for everyone.

I was one of the people sitting during most of her set but I quite enjoyed the music.

It was just necessary for me to rest a bit.

They've done the same Mexican wave stuff during Portishead and I agree, it was totally inappropriate and lacking respect for the artists.

Mogwai once interrupted a song to ask people to just shut up or leave if they don't like it.

I wouldn't have been surprised if the same had happened at MSF.

I just read my message and it looks like I'm angry and agressive. Not actually the feeling I wanted to showed. I just wish people were more respectful for these two great band/artist. Maybe their shows wasn't adapted for a festival configuration.

Anyway, I made a (not good but not bad) video during "Yellow" :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlIfpNWW7E]YouTube - ‪Coldplay - Yellow @ Main Square Festival 2011‬‏[/ame]

They've done the same Mexican wave stuff during Portishead and I agree, it was totally inappropriate and lacking respect for the artists.

At some points I found it a little funny during PJ Harvey and once she even laughed about it. I'm glad it couldn't ruin the performance for me. But I know why I'd never do this myself...

During Portishead it made me really angry and it was completely inappropriate and out of rhythm. It was annoying noise that overshadowed the music. Plus, the joke was over. Luckily enough, they only did it once because of many evil eyes they were given...

I was on the right part of the scene but I saw you doing that during PJ Harvey.

Good idea to forget this horrible sound ! :P

I agree. It was extremely horrible, and was just making everyone depressed. I've never seen such an unmotivated, bored crowd, with frowns on their faces (and I had a good look around). If there were people enjoying her performance, they were definitely in the minority.

Whereabouts were you, exactly, anyway?

I am for respect to the artists but here she didn't make much efforts to get us enthusiasic so... we spent our time as we could ! :D

I'm not saying she wasn't putting in any effort, it's just that her dirge-like music was totally inappropriate for the main stage of a festival and was just making everyone annoyed. I don't blame her, I blame the organisers for booking her for that particular slot.:dozey:

I didn't come to that festival just for Coldplay and I think it was the same for a lot of people. So next time just go to pee or eat if you don't like. That will be good for everyone.

Unfortunately it wasn't possible to escape from there. We were like tinned sardines. If I could have easily got in and out without standing on someone, I would have. I managed to get out and back after the first act, but it was so problematic even then, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle to attempt it again.

In other words, we were most definitely a captive audience, and it was like torture!:dozey:

Therefore the people around me were just trying to let off steam and make the best of a very bad situation. I can't blame them.

I just read my message and it looks like I'm angry and agressive. Not actually the feeling I wanted to showed. I just wish people were more respectful for these two great band/artist. Maybe their shows wasn't adapted for a festival configuration.

This was exactly my point. On another stage, or another festival, it might have worked, but not there. Bruno Mars and Elbow were fine because they created a great atmosphere. That wasn't the case with either PJ Harvey or Portishead, and looking around, I'm sure the vast majority agreed with this.;)

At some points I found it a little funny during PJ Harvey and once she even laughed about it. I'm glad it couldn't ruin the performance. But I know why I'd never do this myself...

Fair comment. You already know my feelings on this issue.;)

During Portishead it made me really angry and it was completely inappropriate and out of rhythm. It was annoying noise that overshadowed the music. Plus, the joke was over. Luckily enough, they only did it once because of many evil eyes they were given...

I agree that the joke was already over by that stage, and it shouldn't have been taken further.

However, I blame PJ Harvey, really. The crowd had already had to endure her depressing music, and then came Portishead straight afterwards, whose sound wasn't exactly "uplifting" either, whatever your opinion of them (and I have actually liked some of their songs in the past, as you know).

Their sound just wasn't appropriate for that stage, at that time of the day, immediately before Coldplay.

They should have been earlier on the bill at the very least.

Bruno Mars or Elbow would have suited that slot better, as they both put the crowd in a very good mood.:cool:

Still, as you pointed out, I think there was only one "mexican wave" during Portishead's set, and then it stopped, so..................... ;)

I can spot some exaggeration ;-)

Not really. It really was that bad for the ones I can relate to. Most people I could see, who had already been standing for hours, couldn't wait for her to get off stage, and were relieved when she actually did, prompting an outpouring of emotion.

As I said, I'm sure there were some who enjoyed her performance, but looking around, all I could see was very long faces (I think you can even see some of them in the video).

I genuinely can't think of a worse live performance I have seen (and yes, that even includes Girls Aloud at Wembley, who were at least vaguely 'entertaining' in an ultra-cheesy way).;)

If someone were to put a gun to my head and tell me I had to sit or stand through an hour's set of one of them, I would definitely plump for GA - and that's really saying something!:P

Whether you agree with the choice of having her on the main stage or not, I agree it was still incredibly rude. Not only to the people who wanted to enjoy her but also to PJ herself. She shouldn't be punished or mocked for making music you don't happen to enjoy.

No people weren't dancing and singing and clapping along but she's not the type of artist the evokes that type of reaction from a crowd and you shouldn't just assume people aren't enjoying it just because they not jumping around...also you were surrounded by hardcore Coldplay fans, people a few rows behind you may have been there purely for her set.

As inappropriate as you think her placing on the main stage may have been she still deserved some respect and she didn't get that.

Yep.

And anyway, it's a festival. Everybody knew who'd perform there. I've been to so many parties with shit music and soon I'll have to see 30 Seconds To Mars for the third time. After all, when you see one of you favourites afterwards, it's worth it.

It wasn't the fact they simply weren't "jumping around" or "clapping". I made a point of looking as far, and in as many directions as I could, and all I could see was people with long faces, looking down at their feet, covering their ears, sending text messages or generally looking disinterested.

If all those people were enjoying her set, they sure had a funny way of showing it.;)

Anyway, I also found certain behaviour at the festival "rude and disrespectful", so I guess it's just a matter of how different people perceive things.

I do respect Loudefix's opinion on the matter, though, as he's actually a PJ Harvey fan, and even he conceded that "maybe their (PJ Harvey and Portishead's) shows weren't adapted for a festival configuration".

Phil too, who said he likes PJ Harvey, and had been looking forward to seeing her, admitted he found her performance rather disappointing.

Probably best to leave it there, anyhow, as there's a bigger picture.;)

Yep.

And anyway, it's a festival. Everybody knew who'd perform there. I've been to so many parties with shit music and soon I'll have to see 30 Seconds To Mars for the third time. After all, when you see one of you favourites afterwards, it's worth it.

I wasn't really that bothered who was on the bill apart from Coldplay, as long as the performers were 'entertaining'. Leaving Portishead aside, Bruno Mars, Elbow and even Charles Bradley were entertaining, and PJ Harvey wasn't. That's what it all boils down to.

If Coldplay's performance had been phenomenal, it would have all melted into insignificance, but as has already generally been agreed, it wasn't one of their best.

I know now that I would have enjoyed Saturday's main stage line-up much more than Sunday's, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.......................... :rolleyes:

Music and concerts don't need to be entertaining necessarily ;)

I think festivals do, by their very nature. However, it's all about opinions of course, and I respect yours, as I know there's no agenda. We've already discussed all this at length of course, and we are able to amicably disagree about things without getting personal, which is how it should be.:cool:

I'm also more than happy to take constructive criticism from anyone that shows me respect in the first place.

I hope that everyone feels this way.

But PJ just didn't work there. Fair enough.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you could explain why you felt PJ didn't work there, just to clear things up, anyway, as I wouldn't want it to appear I've been putting words in your mouth.;)

I felt like she couldn't convey her songs to the audience that well. It seemed emotionless to me which was quite the opposite what I had expected. Though I still think she's a great musician and played very well. And I'd agree, nearly no one in the audience seemed to be affected by her (not in the way they were meant to be). Maybe I'd have appreciated her performance more if the audience had reacted some more. The little reaction seemed to reflect on her because she appeared a little insecure to me. I'm sure with a higher percentage of people cherishing her music, it would have been better.

Portishead wasn't the huge crowd pleaser as well but there seemed to be much more people who enjoyed it. I think they also got more applause. And they (/the singer) seemed to be really into it every single second.

An acquaintance I had spoken to later (and coincidentally met there) shared this opinion but also enjoyed PJ's performance.

I think festivals do, by their very nature.

Depends on the festival. And then it depends on the festival and its audience what they find enjoyable (/entertaining).

However, it's all about opinions of course, and I respect yours, as I know there's no agenda. We've already discussed all this at length of course, and we are able to amicably disagree about things without getting personal, which is how it should be.:cool:

I agree with that, of course. =)

And by the way, it's funny how it was apparently "fine" to take the p*ss out of Girls Aloud at Wembley (I remember quite a lot of discussion about it at the time, and don't remember anyone sticking up for them), but not PJ Harvey, for some reason.

I was there, so am fully aware of what was happening at the time. Surely they deserved some respect too, however much everyone (apparently) couldn't stand them? I would say they definitely didn't get it, anyhow.:dozey:

I am of course playing devil's advocate somewhat here (and I'm not saying I didn't find all the sarcastic shouts of "Cheryl" amusing), but based on what has already been said, wasn't it wrong for all the Coldplayers to assume that everyone was there only to see Coldplay?

After all, while the front section at Wembley appeared to be full of "hardcore" Coldplay fans, it's perfectly plausible that people a few rows behind may have been there purely for Girls Aloud's set, or Jay-Z's, IMO.;)

And anyway, all performers deserve respect no more or less than anyone else. It should be universal.

What I have noticed at the Main Square Festival is that a lot of people can't enjoy music that doesn't make them dance. The day before Coldplay I have to endure "Jimmy eat world" before "Fleet Foxes". And what happened ? Even if people didn't know both bands they were jumping for "Jimmy Eat World" and looked depressive for "Fleet Foxes".

As r25d01 said music doesn't need to be entertaining to be good.