✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[10-July-2011] Coldplay @ Oxegen festival, Ireland

squibby92

:lol:! Thanks for sharing that, Brooke :wacky:. I was on a bit of a gig-high, but I still stand by everything I tweeted in the heat of the moment...including the fact that it was the best I've seen them in (I think) 13 times in 6 years.

I hope to have my full (characteristically long) experience story up tonight! :dance:

you do know I follow your tweets and I update Wiki, don't you? :inquisitive: :P

looking forward to the Chelsea review :D

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also another thing i just remembered before they started singing Us Against The World Chris said 'this is a new song that maybe you'll like by next year.' So does this mean another delay to the release of the album or something else? :worried2:

No no no no !

1. Guy said twice they only have "a few weeks left to finish the album".

2. I think he's more trying to say : "we really like this song so we're keeping it on the record so maybe it will become a hit..."

:lol:! Thanks for sharing that, Brooke :wacky:. I was on a bit of a gig-high, but I still stand by everything I tweeted in the heat of the moment...including the fact that it was the best I've seen them in (I think) 13 times in 6 years.

I hope to have my full (characteristically long) experience story up tonight! :dance:

it really was an amazing night, where about were you for coldplay? and what did you think of of the whole weekend?

I was the very front row, against the barrier, between Guy and Chris :wacky:

Sorry guys, too tired to do a review tonight (I had to do my Strokes one first), but I'll have it up tomorrow!

In the meantime, here's the one video I took during Coldplay...my battery wasn't going to last and I took more still photos, which use less power:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_CEemPl30U&feature=channel_video_title]YouTube - ‪Hurts Like Heaven--Coldplay, Oxegen Festival, July 10, 2011‬‏[/ame]

It's as jerky as hell because of the crowd, and dark, but the audio is pretty good!

The best of my photos from the whole weekend are HERE. I'm as big a Strokes fan as I am a Coldplay fan, so be prepared for that too, haha.

For those wondering, there were a lot of camera crew at the front of the stage and I asked one of them if it would be on TV. Anyway he told me MTV were showing it, I doubt it was live but look out for it sometime in the future.

I suppose i'd better give a review and i won't be biased at all……

I went down to the main stage and stayed there all day so i could get to the front for coldplay and then I managed to get just one person away because the girl was waiting for beyonce. The crowd all day was lively and at times I was very scared, people were pushing and swaying and i saw at least 10 people passed over cos they were unconscious. Anyway when Beyonce finished the girl let me go in front of her and she left, I was at the front almost in line with the centre of the stage. I got a few pics of the stage being set up and then when the boys were coming on stage my camera decides to tell me the battery was flat :angry: typical haha. Anyway I love MX, the piano is so cool on it and then the way it leads into HLH is good too. Yellow sounded great and the crowd were bouncing, as it's already been said it sounded amazing in comparison to previous performances. The crowd were incredible, there was just this amazing overwhelming feel good atmosphere and it definitely got to the lads. The crowd sang along to all the songs, even to music of the new ones. Major Minus got a great reception. Whatever Johnny's been doing over the last couple of years it's worked because he has improved so much it's unbelievable. Shiver blew me away (I love love love the song, screw you guy!). Then when Everything's Not Lost came on I'll be man enough to admit I got in touch with my sensitive side and let out a tear or two, the sing along was the best i've heard it, I think every single person there must have sang along. Again Johnny owns the song with the guitar but as i've said in another thread it just gets to me when the song comes to it's penultimate oh yeah and the drums and guitar gets heavier. Chris then mislead everyone into thinking Life Is For Living was about to be played when he did the intro but then stopped and asked the crowd for 10 seconds and something special would happen. The crowd then counted down and then Chris introduced one of Irelands greatest folk singers to the stage, Christy Moore. Ride On received an incredible reception, as my mate said afterwards once Christy came on stage that's when it was obvious Coldplay had the crowd in the palm of their hand. Then after like a minute they came back on and played the usual encore. Clocks was amazing, seriously the boys managed to do all the songs on sunday night better than they had ever done them before and Clocks is a great example of it. Fix You was dedicated to Ava Champion who I thought might have been Wills wife but turns out it's his daughter. And again Fix You sounded different in comparison to other times. It was amazing and I felt such an amazing feeling in my heart when they started singing 'tears stream down on your face…' Then finally ETIAW came on and it was played with such happiness and joy that it was like a new song to me, by the end of the song i realised I had never felt this happy and amazed EVER in my life. There was something about the performance that just was different to all the others (including glasto). Others will disagree but I think sundays performance was the best one they have ever given and it was certainly the greatest thing i have seen, heard and experienced in my life and it will stay with me till the day I die.

Have to agree with you TOTALLY on this one....they were AMAZING on the night, and so was the crowd. Had a few tears myself during the performance of Fix You...went back to the campsite after and the chant from Viva was EVERYWHERE...What an end to a wonderful Oxegen this year!!

For those wondering, there were a lot of camera crew at the front of the stage and I asked one of them if it would be on TV. Anyway he told me MTV were showing it, I doubt it was live but look out for it sometime in the future.

I suppose i'd better give a review and i won't be biased at all……

I went down to the main stage and stayed there all day so i could get to the front for coldplay and then I managed to get just one person away because the girl was waiting for beyonce. The crowd all day was lively and at times I was very scared, people were pushing and swaying and i saw at least 10 people passed over cos they were unconscious. Anyway when Beyonce finished the girl let me go in front of her and she left, I was at the front almost in line with the centre of the stage. I got a few pics of the stage being set up and then when the boys were coming on stage my camera decides to tell me the battery was flat :angry: typical haha. Anyway I love MX, the piano is so cool on it and then the way it leads into HLH is good too. Yellow sounded great and the crowd were bouncing, as it's already been said it sounded amazing in comparison to previous performances. The crowd were incredible, there was just this amazing overwhelming feel good atmosphere and it definitely got to the lads. The crowd sang along to all the songs, even to music of the new ones. Major Minus got a great reception. Whatever Johnny's been doing over the last couple of years it's worked because he has improved so much it's unbelievable. Shiver blew me away (I love love love the song, screw you guy!). Then when Everything's Not Lost came on I'll be man enough to admit I got in touch with my sensitive side and let out a tear or two, the sing along was the best i've heard it, I think every single person there must have sang along. Again Johnny owns the song with the guitar but as i've said in another thread it just gets to me when the song comes to it's penultimate oh yeah and the drums and guitar gets heavier. Chris then mislead everyone into thinking Life Is For Living was about to be played when he did the intro but then stopped and asked the crowd for 10 seconds and something special would happen. The crowd then counted down and then Chris introduced one of Irelands greatest folk singers to the stage, Christy Moore. Ride On received an incredible reception, as my mate said afterwards once Christy came on stage that's when it was obvious Coldplay had the crowd in the palm of their hand. Then after like a minute they came back on and played the usual encore. Clocks was amazing, seriously the boys managed to do all the songs on sunday night better than they had ever done them before and Clocks is a great example of it. Fix You was dedicated to Ava Champion who I thought might have been Wills wife but turns out it's his daughter. And again Fix You sounded different in comparison to other times. It was amazing and I felt such an amazing feeling in my heart when they started singing 'tears stream down on your face…' Then finally ETIAW came on and it was played with such happiness and joy that it was like a new song to me, by the end of the song i realised I had never felt this happy and amazed EVER in my life. There was something about the performance that just was different to all the others (including glasto). Others will disagree but I think sundays performance was the best one they have ever given and it was certainly the greatest thing i have seen, heard and experienced in my life and it will stay with me till the day I die.

Have to agree with you TOTALLY on this one....they were AMAZING on the night, and so was the crowd. Had a few tears myself during the performance of Fix You...went back to the campsite after and the chant from Viva was EVERYWHERE...What an end to a wonderful Oxegen this year!!

Sorry guys, too tired to do a review tonight (I had to do my Strokes one first), but I'll have it up tomorrow!

In the meantime, here's the one video I took during Coldplay...my battery wasn't going to last and I took more still photos, which use less power:

It's as jerky as hell because of the crowd, and dark, but the audio is pretty good!

The best of my photos from the whole weekend are HERE. I'm as big a Strokes fan as I am a Coldplay fan, so be prepared for that too, haha.

looking at your video i think i was right next to you haha, i was between guy and chris too, were you next to a group of english/asian people there to see Beyonce? And my pics are awful. I have a really good camera and literally as they walked on stage it went dead on me and i had to use my camera phone :( typical eh

Got into the pit...and had to ENDURE Keisha to do so...stayed at the back though.

i was there the whole day too, to be honest ke$ha wasn't as bad as i thought she would be, mainly because she actually played an instrument, i was near the back for the rubberbandits with my mates and then they left and i got to the front from then on

Your pictures are amazing! I am a huge Strokes fan as well and that would have been amazing to see them both in one weekend!

dear chelsea,

do you mind if i post some of your pictures to the Buckin tumblr? i will give you credit, of course. :P

Ahhh ! I am so f'cking jealous ! You're so lucky and your pictures are great

Too bad the stage was so high for The Strokes, sucks to not being able to see Fab's greatness. Love the picture of Chris pretending to shoot himself in the head haha !

looking at your video i think i was right next to you haha, i was between guy and chris too, were you next to a group of english/asian people there to see Beyonce? And my pics are awful. I have a really good camera and literally as they walked on stage it went dead on me and i had to use my camera phone :( typical eh

No, not English/Asian Beyonce fans...hmm, it sounds like we were close to each other, though! I was between two nice Irish people and a Spanish girl (who I found out later was the one kicking me earlier in the day) with her Irish boyfriend.

dear chelsea,

do you mind if i post some of your pictures to the Buckin tumblr? i will give you credit, of course. :P

No problem :D

Video: Coldplay Christy Moore duet at Oxegen has fans begging for more

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLfwr6nFhnY]YouTube - ‪Christy Moore joins Coldplay to perform 'Ride On' at Oxegen 2011‬‏[/ame]

Christy Moore's gig with Coldplay at Oxegen has fuelled global interest in the Irish folk singer. Fuelled by clips of the duet on YouTube, management looking after the 66-year-old have been fielding calls and emails from as far away as America, Canada and Australia.

Coldplay frontman Chris Martin described him as a "local Kildare musician" when Moore joined the English superstars on stage on Sunday night to sing 'Ride On'. "The reaction has been just incredible," a source close to the singer said last night. "We could never have foreseen something like this. Christy already had an international profile but this really is on a different scale."

The former Moving Hearts singer's appearance with Coldplay on the main stage had been kept a closely guarded secret throughout the three-day music festival. In order to keep word from getting out, Coldplay had asked Moore, who is originally from Newbridge, to rehearse the Jimmy McCarthy-penned tune in private in their dressing rooms at Punchestown prior to the show rather than at a sound check. "Coldplay have invited me to sing a song with them in my native place," the singer wrote on his website shortly after. "These are the fields I roamed as a boy. Just had a rehearsal with Will, Chris, Jonny and Guy. We had such a nice time that we rehearsed the song twice! I welcome Coldplay to the Short Grass County. May their spirit and generosity stay with us as they continue on their way."

A source close to Christy added: "Coldplay really did their homework. They knew exactly what way they wanted it performed and had all the parts worked out for the different musicians in the band."

Despite this, thousands of fans heard Chris Martin starting one verse of the song too early. The mistake reduced him to fits of laughter, but Moore carried on without him. However, the next day Moore was happy enough with the performance to describe the duet as a "grand outing".

Described by Coldplay as one of their "all-time favourite singers", the link between Moore and the UK band started through drummer Will Champion. Champion's relatives hail from Galway and he has been a long-time fan of Moore's work. The former Planxty member is reported to have visited Coldplay's London studio on occasion and, in 2004 when Moore was presented with an IRMA Honour, Irish Recorded Music Association's supreme award, Coldplay were among the big names who sent a message of congratulations.

It is understood the legendary singer has decided his appearance at Oxegen is the perfect point to take a break after putting on regular shows in the first half of the year.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/music/news/video-coldplay-christy-moore-duet-at-oxegen-has-fans-begging-for-more-16022701.html#ixzz1S0Vyp1xK

Here's my video of "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall"

I was in the second row, with a little guy in front of me :d

enjoy!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvAFAjmDw1U]YouTube - ‪Coldplay - Every Teardrop is a Waterfall (Live at Oxegen 2011)‬‏[/ame]

MP3 of OXEGEN 2011

Does anyone have a recording on an MP3 format of the lads doing their thing in the fields of Kildare at Oxegen on Sunday nite. Heard some of it on 2fm which sounded amazing, but was not in a position to record it.

Cheers.

Does anyone have a recording on an MP3 format of the lads doing their thing in the fields of Kildare at Oxegen on Sunday nite. Heard some of it on 2fm which sounded amazing, but was not in a position to record it.

Cheers.

it's in the multimedia section, it's missing some of the songs but it's perfect other than that

Oxegen 2011 - Coldplay

Sunday, Main stage, 10.25pm

Describe in a Tweet: Show stolen.

What Happened: A near perfect festival set - thoughtful setlist, incredible lighting, affable singer and a load of fireworks. They may not be the coolest act on the bill, but they're definitely the most tuned in when it comes to knowing what works.

So we get the hits, but they're beefed up somehow, tweaked and pimped for the open air - 'Yellow', 'In My Place' and 'Politik' are absolutely massive tonight, with Chris Martin's voice stronger than ever.

Pyrotechnics and lasers are scattered throughout, with confetti sprayed three songs in and an invasion of giant coloured balloons marking half way. They also know when to hold back - the likes of 'Shiver', arguably still Coldplay's finest moment, certainly needs no tarting up.

'Viva La Vida', with that marvellous percussion set up, is another highlight, while 'Fix You' hasn't lost an inch of it's poignancy. 'God Put a Smile' is reworked entirely and 'Everything's Not Lost' is sung by all of Co. Kildare. It's a set of old favourites, yet the new songs shine through.

They bravely open with the unrecorded 'Hurts Like Heaven' and close with new single 'Every Teardrop is a Waterfall' - both go down like a treat.

Crazy in Love: What could make this better? Only Christy Moore coming on to do 'Ride On'. Goose-pimples as we type. A genuine moment we'll take to the grave.

Why Don't you Love Me? Even from a distance, Pendulum can be really annoying.

Oxegen Ratings: 9/10

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/acrosstheline/2011/07/oxegen_2011_-_coldplay.html