✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[10-July-2011] Coldplay @ Oxegen festival, Ireland

squibby92

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bA7LWuVxSE]‪Coldplay - Shiver Live @ Oxegen 2011 HD‬‏ - YouTube[/ame] just found this on youtube, it's really good and clear. I'm putting it into mp3 format and i'll put it in the multimedia section for anyone who wants to add it to the folder that's already there :)

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

‪Coldplay - Shiver Live @ Oxegen 2011 HD‬‏ - YouTube[/url] just found this on youtube, it's really good and clear. I'm putting it into mp3 format and i'll put it in the multimedia section for anyone who wants to add it to the folder that's already there :)

ahh shiver :rolleyes::rolleyes: I'm gonna send a letter to coldplay and write : thank you for playing Shiver in your new tour :D and also thank you for being Coldplay :laugh3:

ahh shiver :rolleyes::rolleyes: I'm gonna send a letter to coldplay and write : thank you for playing Shiver in your new tour :D and also thank you for being Coldplay :laugh3:

don't forget to thank them for everything's not lost too! I have a feeling it'll be awhile till we hear it live again after these festivals. Hope i'm wrong though. My only regret about sunday night was that i hardly had a voice to sing a long :/ I managed though and i'm still paying the price for it, waiting for it to come back haha

Too lazy to type a proper review but HOLY SHIT what a perfect night that was! I still think that if it had been streamed, it would've gone down in history as one of the best gigs!

Really, the mp3 songs of the gig are absolutely brillant. Ok, at Glasto I heard the crowd louder but this is possibly a problem of recording. But the sound mix is incredible good, never heard such great versions of Major Minus, Lost, ENL (except 2003), Viva la Vida, Charlie Brown. Stunning!

it is a pity there wasn't video coverage but again as i've said mtv were recording it so it'll be there some time in the future. It was an amazing night, the sound set up and the chemistry between the boys and the crowd was incredible, better than glasto in my opinion, in fact the best one of the summer.

just watching a video from the Oxegen crew and from 2 minutes 5 seconds till 2 minutes 8 seconds I found myself at the front for Coldplay enjoying the awesome performance. Pity about the persons long blue arm in my face though :/

i know! the thing is though i noticed it wasn't just coldplay who's sound quality was good but all the bands i watched had great sound quality, the organisation up at oxegen was really well set up. Yeah, the crowd and the band just seemed to be singing as one the whole time, it was a truly surreal experience.

Wow, I never posted a review...I haven't had internet for a week, really, so that's my excuse for being late :P. This is just copy and pasted for something I wrote for Tumblr. It's super-long and about the whole day, not just Coldplay, but here you go:

We got an early bus to the festival, and it was half full. On the way there, the bus made TWO stops for people that had to pee because they were drunk already at 11AM: one at a gas station and one on the side of the road for guys. Obviously we weren’t in any hurry, but I couldn’t believe the bus driver obliged. So we queued for the entrance and got in, heading straight for the Main Stage. The Main Stage has a “golden circle” type pit that they close off once it’s full as a safety measure, so I liked that, but because this was the Main Stage, even though we went straight there, most of the barrier spots were already taken. So we just kind of shrugged and said that second row was fine. We found two other Coldplayers, Raphaele and Lea from France, against the barrier at center stage and hung out with them. Raphaele is shorter than me, so I was quite pleased with my positioning, actually. However, over the course of the day, the crowd pushed more than I expected they would. It wasn’t a violent crowd like with The Strokes, but it was extremely tight, and got that way earlier in the day than I thought it would. I was smashed up against Rapahele and Lea, with my body at a 45-degree angle to the ground, by three or so acts into the day. Lea and Raphaele left I think during Ke$ha. They’d done five other festivals front-row for Coldplay in the past month, so this crowd must have been much more intense than the others to get them to leave like that. I felt so bad for them, because they totally deserve to be in the front over all the assholes that were pushing them. But the second they left, of course, this meant I was pushed forward into the barrier at full-force. I felt like an asshole, like I was taking their vacated spots the second I could even though they were really freaked out, but when there are 5,000 people pushing at your back, you can’t really help having to take the free space the second you can. But, I was now front row. I was between a girl Beyonce fan a few years younger than me (who had actually pushed Jo out of the way, despite being a pretty nice person otherwise), and an Irish boy on my right, who was a MEGA Beyonce fan and who had been there all day standing his ground. It was his 18th birthday, so he was particularly pumped, and he was adorable. We got to talking a lot—he asked me where I was from and everything, like everyone did around me, and when I said America, he said he was going there for college next year. I asked where, and he said Boston, so I asked where as my brother will be in Boston for college next year too. He said “Harvard.” I cracked up. I honestly thought he was kidding, but his face was dead serious. He said he even had his passport in his pocket and could show me the visa that said “HARVARD” on it, and I said that wasn’t necessary, because you could tell he was actually being serious and it was impossible to reach into pockets anyway. Too bad he’s probably gay and about four years younger than me, because he was adorable. The whole time he was educating me about Beyonce and pointing out her crew to me, telling me the names of her bodyguards and showing me her mom sitting on the side. Right before she came on, he even got out his bag and said “time for my special Beyonce ring.” I had no idea what he was talking about, but he pulled out a huge-ass red jeweled ring that you could flip open to reveal a solid form of her new perfume, and he made me smell it. He wore it the whole time. I was actually sad when he left before Coldplay, because he was great.

Beyonce. WOW. I was actually pretty excited to see her, mostly because I like her as a person and thought her set would be fun, but I didn’t expect it to be that awesome. She was INCREDIBLE. I was in awe the whole time, smiling away like an idiot and waving my arms around. God, she’s probably the most beautiful human I’ve ever seen with my own eyes. And so nice and talented…wow, I’m a total fangirl for her now. She was almost in tears over how great the crowd was—apparently her favorite country to play is Ireland, she’s said that many times before. I enjoyed myself so goddamn much. And then she decided to come down and visit the first row, which was so cool. Her bodyguards were ridiculously protective of her, but I got to touch Beyonce and take pictures right in her face. Epic. The crowd wasn’t violent, but it was pushy. I think I got hit in the face during “Single Ladies,” when literally everyone was doing the famous dance along with her in place, resulting in a minor black eye (which is mostly gone now anyway). I definitely was more squished during that set than any other, even The Strokes. The Strokes, it was hard to stay upright, but it wasn’t a constant crush—it came in waves. Beyonce was a pretty constant crush. There was also this one girl kicking me all throughout Ke$ha. I couldn’t see who she was, but it turned out she was the girl who ended up directly next to me at the barrier for Coldplay. I didn’t know this until later, so I was nice to her, too. Ugh.

Beyonce somehow ended 30 minutes early and her fans around me left (I tried to convince the Beyonce guy to stay, but he said he didn’t want to be in that crush for longer and would watch them from a ways back). Jo ended up right behind me and Craig right behind her, so everything worked out beautifully because I’m as short as hell and they’re Amazon people. And we got SUPER excited then. We couldn’t believe we made it—at times it was really trying, mostly due to our exhaustion from Friday and Craig’s injury, and I think all of us debated leaving at certain points. But we were there in better spots than we could have asked for and were absolutely going nuts. Jo kept rubbing my head like a magic lamp and the three of us couldn’t stop squeeing. The people around us didn’t know what they were in for with us around them. I warned them, particularly this nice Irish group of two girls and a guy who were with us all day, but I don’t think they realized I was serious about how I would react.

And then Coldplay came on. I only videoed “Hurts Like Heaven,” the opener, because my camera battery was being an asshole for some unknown reason, but I got a lot of photos, a lot of which turned out surprisingly well. Oh my GOD, the new material. “Hurts Like Heaven” is a killer. I screamed myself hoarse during that one song, and it was the first one! It was also both cool and weird to be one of the only people who knew all the words to the new songs. Guy Berryman seemed impressed by this too. I know everyone always says “OMG ______ LOOKED RIGHT AT ME, ME ALONE,” but I swear to God, during “Charlie Brown” Guy gave me the hugest smile because I knew all the words already. He smiled a lot at our little group that night. He seemed completely touched by the hugeness and awesomeness of the crowd, and was smilier than the other three combined. I think he was drugged.

I have now seen Coldplay 13 times in some way, shape, or form, and I’m not just on a gig high when I say I’m pretty positive that was by far the BEST I have ever seen them perform. They were…flawless. After three songs or so, I just turned to Jo in astonishment and said “this is PERFECT, they never are like this.” Not that they’re bad performers usually—they’re one of the most amazing live acts I’ve ever seen. But usually they have one or two fuck-ups, or Chris says something stupid that he beats himself up over, or they’re not in the best moods, or something is ever so slightly off with the sound, but Sunday…they were perfect. It blows Glasto and T and Rock am Ring and everything else of late out of the water, if you ask me. There wasn’t a single mistake, they were in great moods, clearly wanted to be there, and were responding to the epic crowd. I sung along to every note at the top of my lungs, and even the guitar solos and riffs (being a Strokes fan and seeing them a lot lately has made me do that, haha). I was as obnoxious as hell to people around me, but I don’t care—I never do. During the slower songs, I just sat there with my arms on the barrier and my chin in my hand, looking at them adoringly and singing along. I was so purely happy that my face muscles still hurt from smiling so much. I think that this is one of the few gigs that isn’t a blur in my mind at all. Somehow, The Strokes only from Friday are a huge blur in my mind, but Coldplay…I feel like I remember every moment. I’ll never forget seeing Chris Martin throw and smash a guitar (which is a recent development…apparently he did it at T as well, but before that, that’s never something he’s done before). I’ll never forget getting to hear the new songs live and in person, Guy smiling, the special Irish folk song they did with Christy Moore (I have to say, I felt a bit left out of that specialness, not being Irish, but when Chris said they had a special surprise I immediately thought Bono was going to come out and I freaked the hell out), Chris kissing the ground before leaving the stage…it’s the most complete gig in my memory of all time, I think. And it was perfect.

Afterwards, Jo, Craig and I couldn’t stop gushing about how flawless they were. I think my friend Lauren, who watched from much farther back, was a bit freaked out by us, but that’s OK—she’s a Coldplay fan too, and without her, I would have never gone to my first Coldplay gig and gotten fully converted, but she’s not a Coldplayer-fan-level, either. I’ll never get over that gig, though, I don’t think, no matter how many more times I see them. Even if they improve upon it for me someday, it’ll always stand out in my mind. After hearing about the disappointing gig at Arras and knowing they were doing T only the day before Oxegen, all I wanted was a routine, fun, passable performance from them where they weren’t tired or grumpy. What I got instead was the best thing I’ve ever seen from them. What a shame it wasn’t streamed. I would have loved everyone to see that, and to be able to watch it over and over again.

I flew back to London the following day, and the Dublin airport was just littered with tired kids in muddy wellies. While queuing at the gate for my flight, I heard at least two separate groups of people enthusing about how great Coldplay were the night before. One of them was in a group of guys, about 18 years old, who said something along the lines of “wow, I’ve hated Coldplay forever, but that was probably the best festival set I’ve ever seen.” I think that pretty much summed it up—something tells me that they probably converted a few people who otherwise didn’t really give them much of a second thought. They were absolutely above and beyond anything I’ve seen in awhile.

When I first got my Oxegen tickets, I was mostly going for The Strokes. Of course I still love Coldplay with all my heart, but at the time I decided to go to Oxegen, we weren’t even sure if they were going to be playing new material, and I know that once they do a real tour, I’m going to see them several times much closer to home. The Strokes are much harder to see these days, so they were my main goal. It turns out that as brilliant as The Strokes were, and always are…Coldplay blew them out of the water, even though I’ve seen them so many more times than I’ve seen The Strokes. I originally decided to go to Oxegen because The Strokes and Coldplay, my two favorite bands of all time, were playing the same stage on the same day, one right before the other, and I couldn’t pass that up for a second. Then The Strokes changed their date and I got all miffed, but in the end it worked out, because the crowds for The Strokes and Coldplay are so different that it would have been a shitshow before Coldplay and a lot of the assholes would still probably be around and would have made it miserable. So as awesome as it would have been to see The Strokes theoretically open for Coldplay, I’m glad it didn’t work out that way. It would have been too crazy, and I probably would have died from a heart attack anyway. To have both amounts of happy I was on Friday and Sunday concentrated into one 4-hour block of time would probably have been dangerous to my health.

he kissed the ground? i must've blinked or something but i know what you mean about it not being a blur. Normally after gigs i only remember certain moments but with that performance it's like it's constantly replayed in my head from MX to the last drum beat of Every Teardrop.

I remember after it I was leaning up against the barrier waiting for a cup of water and a steward came up to me asking if i was alright, I was apparently shaking and crying (didn't even know i was!). When he asked what was wrong i just said nothing's wrong, i'm just so happy, he patted me on the back and walked on.

Also my review of each band I saw over the weekend is up on Tumblr if anyone wants to read it although it is very long. :)

• 2 weeks later...

just incase anyone wants to check it out the show has just started on sky arts now, no coldplay yet and half way through the pretender by foo fighters, bringing back some awesome memories

EDIT: Just finished and it was disappointing if i'm honest. They showed Fix You, ETIAW and Politik. Thought they should've shown either more or at least of had VLV and Yellow. Still great to see it again though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...