✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[10-July-2011] Coldplay @ Oxegen festival, Ireland

squibby92

here are some tweets from Chelsea (ApproximatelyInfinite), who was at the show... front row, i believe...

THAT WAS THE MOST FLAWLESS I HAVE EVER SEEN COLDPLAY IN ALL MY 13 TIMES

6 minutes ago

CHRIS THREW AND SMASHED A GUITAR.

6 minutes ago

NO MISTAKES. SUCH GOOD MOODS. THEY GAVE GUY HAPPY PILLS

4 minutes ago

:lol:

Man that gig sounds so bloody amazing...

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi boys, girls and all the madness in the world! I'll review the show from what I heard, as the livestream video was cancelled with no further advice and the only possibilitie was to hear it from a live radio... Tonight's show was one of those concerts that a coldplay fan must have on his/her mp3. The sound mix was perfect (good job Miller!), the boys went mad and gave all of their energies on all the songs despite of the little hours between this and "Toldplay in the park" performance yesterday! After this festival, the discussion should be which was the best performance yet, if "Glastonbury's", "Toldplay in the Park" or tonight's "Oxegen"! They've created an astonishing atmosphere for all the songs, Chris interacted a lot with the audience, and at times, you could hear the crowd singing along over Chris, sounded exciting! After an outstanding version of Charlie Brown with nice vocals, they replaced "Life is for Living", Coldplay did a cover of "Ride On" with Christy Moore, a special folk Irish performer, that was charmfully welcomed on stage!

That was the only change in the setlist... . They've also performed Shiver and the epic live versions I have to highlight of this night were: Everything's Not Lost -Jonny Boy guitar sounds made of that song the best performed live yet; Politik -Also, thanks to Jonny Boy guitar sounds and sound mix, Politik sounded in what I call, a very UFO way!; Then, Clocks, Chris piano solo was marvelous, as well as Jonny Buckland guitar sounds... they don't stop getting better!- In the end, with "Every TearDROP is a Waterfall" Chris interacted with the crowd as in the old times (like he did with "The Scientists" during Twisted Logic Tour era)... Although he cracked his voice a few times during ETIAW, it didn't count as a negative score for what it is one of the best Coldplay performances of this summer festivals! Coldplay, keep up the good work! -FMFMEAISLI!-

I always enjoy the Live Streams, even if it was just audio tonight. I started off on a radio stream that kept showing the DJ's and commercials, so many thanks to Londonerr for the magictv link.

The crowd were so into the concert and the boy's were RED HOT!!! Chris's vocals were so on, except for ETDIAW, but hey we forgive him, it really wasn't THAT noticable.

Clocks was exceptional along with Politik and WOW GPASUYF they ROCK this song and I love

it more than the original way they played it years ago.

Us Against the World is such a beautiful song that has grown on me. The way it starts with Chris, then Will, then JBoy comes in and then Guy slides in to finish up the song, just beautiful!!!

The Christy Moore/Chris duo was great, I have to admit during the commercial I googled him, I had no idea who he was....

Thanks to all the members who show up on the thread "it seems to be the same one's" I enjoy reading everyones replies, and excitement for each festival!!!!

Oh God if only I could've been there... :\

I really don't understand why RTE or TV3 give a live broadcast of the festival, or even just snippets on Monday night of the entire thing... my local Radio station does not broadcast it live - though they were up in Punchestown - but I sincerely hope I'll see them on youtube! :D

I heardy Christy Moore joined them...?

Anyway, hopefully we'll get to see a bit of their action :P

ETA: thanks for that link, Tracie :)

So, I flew in on Saturday morning (just a matter of hours after being released from hospital... don't worry I'm fine, well sort of...) to meet up with who else but Chelsea and Johanna and go and see what all the fuss was about!

We were scared, really scared that they would be too tired and drained by now to put on a good show. We thought it might disappoint after hearing about Arras and really, 2 shows in 2 days at the end of this run, could have easily proved too much for them... how wrong were we?

FUCKING WRONG!!! :o

This was by far, by far the best I have ever seen the guys. They were so freaking happy, so excited and energetic and ready to put on the show of their lives... and they did just that.

When MX started up I was about to hear my most anticipated song (I really was so excited for HLH that I never thought much about how the rest of the show might be haha) but wow, it blew me away. Jonny just comes out kicking with that song, pretty brave imo, but super-cool, it gets the crowd so up-for-it and buzzed...this is a keeper for years of setlists to come mark my words, it just works live. :cool:

Yellow was a huge shock for me last night, I mean I love the song, always have, but it was different yesterday to the previous 4 times I have seen it live, it sounded crystal clear and better arranged somehow, I dunno, it was really good though!

Violet Hill, In my place and Lost were the same, the sound quality was unbelievable and these songs which don't normally do much for me after seeing them so often, were totally different this time! :S Major Minus is cool, won't be a keeper and won't make the album for me, but it certainly rocks live and makes the studio version sound even worse now!

The scientist sing-along is the best I have heard personally. Guessing it was because of the location but I've only ever seen them in the UK before too so I don't know why this was better... it just was ;) And Shiver... okay wait, SHIIIIIIVEEEER!!! Woah, that was insane! I remember thinking that the Crisis versions were unbeatable but I never thought I'd hear the full-band version really. Ms Gilchrist was so excited for that so I'm gonna let that be her moment ;) ... but wow, it was a real special thing for any Coldplay fan.

GPASUYF was Jo's moment actually, but I'm stealing some of this for moi :P

It was perfect. Best song of the night for me, hands down. That is a masterpiece with the new intro and it ended with Chris launching his telecaster about 20 feet (7ish metres Jo!) into the air, wow. Loved it, I hope it never gets dropped again, ever!!!

UATW was sublime. Us 3 just looked at each other and we couldn't even talk. It was really beautiful and when Guy comes in it is just like watching them from years ago for me, but all grown up now :'-) Loved it so much. Everythings Not Lost was amazing too, won't see that again so I'm prett happy they played it, the crowd all new it and those who didn't found it easy for lyrics haha :D

Politik was... it was Politik! What more can I say, still in my top 2 songs. Viva was great actually, the new piano intor is a smart-move for me. But here is my other huge hignhlight... CHARLIE BROWN ... omg :o That is the other keeper, it is gonna be soooo so huge when released. Should be the first single of LP5 for me, it is a hit, a huge hit, and the crowd were even singing the riff! I loved it, such a great live tune! ;)

A really cool duet followed with some Irish bloke, it took the place of Life is for Living which disappointed me a tad, but it weas so special and unique, and every irishman knew the words! :D

Clocks was perfect as always, Fix You was nice, and Every Teardrop was very energetic, the crowd loved that one too.

All in all, I'm in a rush so I'll just say this, the best gig I've ever been too, not doubts on that, Flawless and special. Loved it <3

^ Same in Spain, do they have a stock of guitars so he can smash them at any gig? :lol:

Irish crowds are always amazing, really hope I'll be able to see them again in Dublin on the next tour, as the two gigs in 2008 were awesome and I always feel at home there :wacky:

For those wondering, there were a lot of camera crew at the front of the stage and I asked one of them if it would be on TV. Anyway he told me MTV were showing it, I doubt it was live but look out for it sometime in the future.

I suppose i'd better give a review and i won't be biased at all……

I went down to the main stage and stayed there all day so i could get to the front for coldplay and then I managed to get just one person away because the girl was waiting for beyonce. The crowd all day was lively and at times I was very scared, people were pushing and swaying and i saw at least 10 people passed over cos they were unconscious. Anyway when Beyonce finished the girl let me go in front of her and she left, I was at the front almost in line with the centre of the stage. I got a few pics of the stage being set up and then when the boys were coming on stage my camera decides to tell me the battery was flat :angry: typical haha. Anyway I love MX, the piano is so cool on it and then the way it leads into HLH is good too. Yellow sounded great and the crowd were bouncing, as it's already been said it sounded amazing in comparison to previous performances. The crowd were incredible, there was just this amazing overwhelming feel good atmosphere and it definitely got to the lads. The crowd sang along to all the songs, even to music of the new ones. Major Minus got a great reception. Whatever Johnny's been doing over the last couple of years it's worked because he has improved so much it's unbelievable. Shiver blew me away (I love love love the song, screw you guy!). Then when Everything's Not Lost came on I'll be man enough to admit I got in touch with my sensitive side and let out a tear or two, the sing along was the best i've heard it, I think every single person there must have sang along. Again Johnny owns the song with the guitar but as i've said in another thread it just gets to me when the song comes to it's penultimate oh yeah and the drums and guitar gets heavier. Chris then mislead everyone into thinking Life Is For Living was about to be played when he did the intro but then stopped and asked the crowd for 10 seconds and something special would happen. The crowd then counted down and then Chris introduced one of Irelands greatest folk singers to the stage, Christy Moore. Ride On received an incredible reception, as my mate said afterwards once Christy came on stage that's when it was obvious Coldplay had the crowd in the palm of their hand. Then after like a minute they came back on and played the usual encore. Clocks was amazing, seriously the boys managed to do all the songs on sunday night better than they had ever done them before and Clocks is a great example of it. Fix You was dedicated to Ava Champion who I thought might have been Wills wife but turns out it's his daughter. And again Fix You sounded different in comparison to other times. It was amazing and I felt such an amazing feeling in my heart when they started singing 'tears stream down on your face…' Then finally ETIAW came on and it was played with such happiness and joy that it was like a new song to me, by the end of the song i realised I had never felt this happy and amazed EVER in my life. There was something about the performance that just was different to all the others (including glasto). Others will disagree but I think sundays performance was the best one they have ever given and it was certainly the greatest thing i have seen, heard and experienced in my life and it will stay with me till the day I die.

^ lol, does anyone know if she's sick or something? It's not often they dedicate songs is it really

No I don't think so, I hope she's just a perfectly healthy 5 year old. She certainly likes the song a lot.

True it's the first time a song's dedicated to one of their children =)

so he's just dedicating songs then to family members for no reason? if that's the case when he gets around to just random people, Chris dedicate a song to me!!! :D

Also another thing i just remembered before they started singing Us Against The World Chris said 'this is a new song that maybe you'll like by next year.' So does this mean another delay to the release of the album or something else? :worried2:

It sounded class, Squibby92 - you are so lucky. :D Hopefully they'll be back in a few years so I can see them! :cool:

BTW, there's about a ton of videos of them at Oxegen on Youtube now. Some are embarrassing to watch as the video taker's singing aren't the best :laugh3: But anyway, I found one with superior quality - Clocks - it is so magical. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCMqA018TWY]YouTube - ‪Coldplay rockin Oxegen 2011‬‏[/ame]

:D

here are some tweets from Chelsea (ApproximatelyInfinite), who was at the show... front row, i believe...

THAT WAS THE MOST FLAWLESS I HAVE EVER SEEN COLDPLAY IN ALL MY 13 TIMES

6 minutes ago

CHRIS THREW AND SMASHED A GUITAR.

6 minutes ago

NO MISTAKES. SUCH GOOD MOODS. THEY GAVE GUY HAPPY PILLS

4 minutes ago

:lol:! Thanks for sharing that, Brooke :wacky:. I was on a bit of a gig-high, but I still stand by everything I tweeted in the heat of the moment...including the fact that it was the best I've seen them in (I think) 13 times in 6 years.

I hope to have my full (characteristically long) experience story up tonight! :dance: