✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[9-July-2011] Coldplay @ T in the Park, Balado, Kinross-shire, Scotland

Mimixxx

Scotsman: T in the Park review: Coldplay

http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment/T-in-the-Park-review.6798980.jp

Coldplay

Main stage ****/5

Any act following Beyonce Knowles onto the main stage at T in the Park on Saturday was going to have their work seriously cut out for them, so kudos to Chris Martin and co for giving it a go. The start they made was impressive, bucking the tradition of closing a festival with fireworks by sending multi-coloured rockets crackling through the air as they took to the stage, beginning with the hurtling, Arcade Fire-sounding Hurts Like Heaven and then the old fan favourite Yellow. The latter song was lit up by a red signal flare amidst the crowd, a new trend at Scottish gigs that's already earned perpetrators threats of expulsion at this year's T.

What followed this opening was a set which, despite a healthy dose of Martin's customary earnestness, was pretty much a textbook example of how to work a festival crowd with a series of effortlessly affecting guitar anthems. Addressing the Beyonce issue early, Martin cheekily added the "to the left, to the left" lyric of her Irreplaceable to In My Place and warned "we don't really have her curves - we don't really have anything she's got, so you can go home if you want."

Major Minus featured an arena-standard guitar line in the style of U2's The Edge from Jonny Buckland, Lost saw multicoloured balloons thrown into the crowd and The Scientist, featuring just Martin, his piano and the entire audience on backing vocals, had the singer bait the crowd's affections to perfection when he changed the song's lyric to "nobody said it was easy / I'm going to T in the Park." Every song was warmly familiar, from Shiver to God Put a Smile Upon Your Face to the heart-warming highlight Everything's Not Lost and the symphonic Viva La Vida, their welcome reception from the crowd topped off by Martin's proud introduction of bassist Guy Berryman as being "from Kirkcaldy, Fife."

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scotsman: T in the Park review: Coldplay[/size][/b]

http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment/T-in-the-Park-review.6798980.jp

Coldplay

Main stage *******/5

Any act following Beyonce Knowles onto the main stage at T in the Park on Saturday was going to have their work seriously cut out for them, so kudos to Chris Martin and co for giving it a go. The start they made was impressive, bucking the tradition of closing a festival with fireworks by sending multi-coloured rockets crackling through the air as they took to the stage, beginning with the hurtling, Arcade Fire-sounding Hurts Like Heaven and then the old fan favourite Yellow. The latter song was lit up by a red signal flare amidst the crowd, a new trend at Scottish gigs that's already earned perpetrators threats of expulsion at this year's T.

What followed this opening was a set which, despite a healthy dose of Martin's customary earnestness, was pretty much a textbook example of how to work a festival crowd with a series of effortlessly affecting guitar anthems. Addressing the Beyonce issue early, Martin cheekily added the "to the left, to the left" lyric of her Irreplaceable to In My Place and warned "we don't really have her curves - we don't really have anything she's got, so you can go home if you want."

Major Minus featured an arena-standard guitar line in the style of U2's The Edge from Jonny Buckland, Lost saw multicoloured balloons thrown into the crowd and The Scientist, featuring just Martin, his piano and the entire audience on backing vocals, had the singer bait the crowd's affections to perfection when he changed the song's lyric to "nobody said it was easy / I'm going to T in the Park." Every song was warmly familiar, from Shiver to God Put a Smile Upon Your Face to the heart-warming highlight Everything's Not Lost and the symphonic Viva La Vida, their welcome reception from the crowd topped off by Martin's proud introduction of bassist Guy Berryman as being "from Kirkcaldy, Fife."

Which was Beyonce issue on stage that chris said To the left to the left?

^

I think no

dont know

but jonny played guitar awesomely!

----------------------------------

one comment.

Awesome how Will sings more and more each gig.

More backups,and sometimes more than just a back up voice.

another comment

" Shiver " was Twitter TT for a while today.

So far Major Minus , Violet hill and Shiver were TT worldwide :D the other 2 during glaston gig...

Sorry if the stream was a bit crap tonight i was not around so could not keep an eye on it

From what i heard there was a menu bar on the screen that didnt go but apart from that the stream should have been ok

Hope you enjoyed

I can replay it tomorrow night if need be without the menu bar

Sorry if the stream was a bit crap tonight i was not around so could not keep an eye on it

From what i heard there was a menu bar on the screen that didnt go but apart from that the stream should have been ok

Hope you enjoyed

Sorry if I sounded like I was complaining. Not at all!! VERY grateful for the experience even if there were some technical issues. Sounds like it was my isp or computer. Thanks SO MUCH for sharing!!:)

Guest howyousawtheworld

Ok. Just come in from a night out and I've now got the programme playing on my playstation 3 iplayer. Hope it's a good one!

Hope you enjoyed

It was great for me, so thank you for it. :)

Too tired to function.

I know you all saw it and yes it was awesome. 20x better than Main Square, it was a completely different band. Brilliant!

As for T...think that's my first and last time there...

you went to both gigs,dont you?

Too tired to function.

I know you all saw it and yes it was awesome. 20x better than Main Square, it was a completely different band. Brilliant!

As for T...think that's my first and last time there...

yay :D

and that crowd did look rough :shocked2: