✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Game of Thrones ( A song of ice and fire HBO adaptation)

a-chan

The HBO adaptation of best-selling novels of A Song of Ice and Fire (7 books due, 4 published now) of George R.R. Martin are coming to life soon on April 17th. The autor supervised the production of the show, even wrote an episode, so it safe to say it will be true to his work.

It's an amazing story, very well written, smart, touching, deep. If you like Lord of the Rings and the Sopranos, then you'll like Game of Thrones (titled as the first book).

For the casting, you have Sean Bean (Boromir in LOTR) among amazing others but for the previews I've seen, he's not pulling a Boromir and he's totally his character.

Reviews of journalist (who've seen the first 6 episodes) are total enthousiastic and very very good, so I'm even more excited!

To know what the story is about, check this trailer

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOEqo74wRMo]YouTube - Game Of Thrones - The Game Begins (HBO)[/ame]

and the presentation of the plot and world

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLKVJr7QHjM]YouTube - Game Of Thrones: Invitation To Westeros (HBO)[/ame]

Anyone else excited?!! WINTER IS COMING...! :awesome:

to help the viewers, a little history of the different houses

http://share.behaviordesign.com/hbo/game-of-thrones/#!/guide/houses/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First episode out in the US and the UK (on Sky). What can I say?!!! HBO did with GoT what Peter Jackson did with Lord of the Rings: a true epic, faithfull rendition of the book! It's a feast for the eyes!

tumblr_ljw3h6Z8Kw1qzvu53o1_500.gif

The writing is superb and really do justice to Martin's original work. To sum up: it IS the book brought to life and the casting couldn't be more perfect!

Here opening credits that presents well the world of Westeros and the forces in presence

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfT2t38m6E0]YouTube - Game Of Thrones Intro[/ame]

Anyone else watching and/or reading the books?

• 3 weeks later...

ah, i have to admit i didn't realise you'd started a thread for Game Of Thrones until you pointed me in the right direction! :shame:

i was actually trying to get Sky set up mainly for football & Game Of Thrones. but that didn't quite work out. so i shall have to rely on the usual method of watching it still. darn you Virgin Media & your stubbornness to pay up for Sky Atlantic! :P

anyway i've known about the books for donkey years. a few of my friends during A-Levels & uni were reading his Song of Fire & Ice saga...& still are. while i was lost in the worlds of Midkemia & Kelewan created by Raymond E. Feist and later the Discworld of Terry Pratchett. i'm trying to avoid starting on his books until after Game Of Thrones finishes, actually. spoilers, y'know... ;)

& i have to say that as far as shooting locations go for fantasy movies/shows, one can't go wrong with either New Zealand or Ireland (as in the entire island) to bring to life medieval fantasy worlds like Westeros! :wacky:

the characters...really not liking that Joffrey kid. arrogant little brat. along with his mother & the guy she's sneaking around with. tho that girl of Ned's who's all uppity & meant to marry Joffrey's not much better to me too. :P

. i'm trying to avoid starting on his books until after Game Of Thrones finishes, actually. spoilers, y'know... ;)

You mean season 1 or when the show is entirely finished? Cause there's only (soon) 5 books written on 7 programmed so the show *if lucky* will run like forever XD

& i have to say that as far as shooting locations go for fantasy movies/shows, one can't go wrong with either New Zealand or Ireland (as in the entire island) to bring to life medieval fantasy worlds like Westeros! :wacky:

+10000

the characters...really not liking that Joffrey kid. arrogant little brat. along with his mother & the guy she's sneaking around with. tho that girl of Ned's who's all uppity & meant to marry Joffrey's not much better to me too. :P

The 'guy she's sneaking around with' is her twin brother Jaime.... :P Joffrey is the ultimate brat and you'll want to murder him at the end of S1.

As for Sansa (her fiance), she's annoying in S1 but the events will hit her hard and she'll change. Poor girl, her chapters in the books really break my heart (each chapter is 'told' by different character point of view, and Sansa is one of the character telling the story. Along with Ned, Catelyn, Tyrion, Bran, Jon, Arya and Danaerys in book 1).

I've been impressed so far. Lots of interesting characters and sub-plots.:cool:

And that's only the beginning!!! There is soooooo much more to come! S1 is just the apetizer XD

Episode 4 preview:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqZorL-1gcU]YouTube - Game Of Thrones: Episode 4 Preview (HBO)[/ame]

I'm not your boy Lannister....Time to Robb to enter the action along with my beloved Samwell Tarly to the wall and Theon is discretly entering the game *w* Can't wait!

Sean Bean plays a great role, as usual.:D

I'm also impressed by "the dwarf".:cool:

Sean Bean make an exceptional Ned! I was afraid he would do a Boromir 2.0 but he managed to capture Ned just spot on! As for Peter Dincklage (Tyrion, the dwarf), he's just AWESOME, he IS Tyrion! But Tyrion is one of my favorite character in the book so...

It's a bit like Lord of the Rings, except without the monsters and sorcery.

Yeah for the medieval/fantasy feeling but you'll see that GoT is nothing like LOTR where the main characters are 'safe' (I mean all ends well, nobody dies). GoT is NOT like that...don't get attach to ANY character, that's my advice. It's muuuuuch more darker and realistic (on the human scale) than a LOTR (even though I love LOTR too). But the fantasy (magic) will creep its way in through seasons...subtedly though.

Sean Bean make an exceptional Ned! I was afraid he would do a Boromir 2.0 but he managed to capture Ned just spot on! As for Peter Dincklage (Tyrion, the dwarf), he's just AWESOME, he IS Tyrion! But Tyrion is one of my favorite character in the book so...

Yeah for the medieval/fantasy feeling but you'll see that GoT is nothing like LOTR where the main characters are 'safe' (I mean all ends well, nobody dies). GoT is NOT like that...don't get attach to ANY character, that's my advice. It's muuuuuch more darker and realistic (on the human scale) than a LOTR (even though I love LOTR too). But the fantasy (magic) will creep its way in through seasons...subtedly though.

I'll prefer it if it's more realistic than fantastical, anyway.:cool:

Great! I'm delighted that I'm able to watch it too, as it's on Sky Atlantic.:cool:

I know! I was in London two weeks ago and stumbled upon this on the tube station

1118595094.JPG

It was a moving commercial screen, so the time I take out my camera it was on sthg else. I had to wait until it came back to GoT again and I must have looked like some lunatic cause the security guy asked me if I had a problem.... :lol: No, no dude, I just want to take a pic of a commercial :laugh3:

You mean season 1 or when the show is entirely finished? Cause there's only (soon) 5 books written on 7 programmed so the show *if lucky* will run like forever XD

just Season 1. for now. actually, i'd prefer if they had books like A Song of Fire & Ice in ebook form. having physical books is great, but not so great when you start running out of bookshelf space. especially with an epic series like this one...which STILL hasn't completed yet! :\

The 'guy she's sneaking around with' is her twin brother Jaime.... :P Joffrey is the ultimate brat and you'll want to murder him at the end of S1.

As for Sansa (her fiance), she's annoying in S1 but the events will hit her hard and she'll change. Poor girl, her chapters in the books really break my heart (each chapter is 'told' by different character point of view, and Sansa is one of the character telling the story. Along with Ned, Catelyn, Tyrion, Bran, Jon, Arya and Danaerys in book 1).

hah! so he IS the brother! i was getting a bit confused about their relationship to each other. started out thinking he's the brother. then that scene about what Bran saw happened & i was like "hang on, isn't that like incest? or did i somehow get it wrong in thinking he's the brother?" :confused:

& nvm end of Season 1! i already feel like murdering Joffrey now! the poor direwolves...tho i was thinking that's like a bad omen thing for Ned having to kill 1 of the direwolves since they're his house's emblem.

(btw, i'd SO love to have a direwolf as a pet! hahaha)

i love the opening sequence for the series! love how there's all these mechanised elements rising up from the very typical fantasy story world map to represent each of the major cities. :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7L2PVdrb_8]Game Of Thrones "Official" Show Open (HBO)[/ame]

Sean Bean plays a great role, as usual.:D

I'm also impressed by "the dwarf".:cool:

It's a bit like Lord of the Rings, except without the monsters and sorcery.

i think at first glance most fantasy based shows will be compared to or seen as being like LotR these days. & the fantasy genre for literature is fairly niche still. i'm only starting to see the books from the A Song Of Fire & Ice saga appearing in shops like HMV now & i will bet that the only reason for it is because of Game Of Thrones' mainstream success.

i do wonder if since playing Boromir, Sean Bean's ended up being typecast in medieval fantasy roles. even if Ned isn't like Boromir at all aside from being a medieval fantasy lord. i don't really remember him in any other type of roles lately.

hah! so he IS the brother! i was getting a bit confused about their relationship to each other. started out thinking he's the brother. then that scene about what Bran saw happened & i was like "hang on, isn't that like incest? or did i somehow get it wrong in thinking he's the brother?" :confused:

Yeah, he's her twin brother and Tyrion is their little brother ;) Apparently it appears to be not clear to non-readers...Though they did mention a few times in episode 1 that Jaime is Cersei's brother so... :thinking:

& nvm end of Season 1! i already feel like murdering Joffrey now! the poor direwolves...tho i was thinking that's like a bad omen thing for Ned having to kill 1 of the direwolves since they're his house's emblem.

(btw, i'd SO love to have a direwolf as a pet! hahaha)

The direwolves are very important and there's actually a scene in episode 1 that foreshadow events to come. I want a direwolf too but as gL says 'you want to hug them but they can rip you fuckin face off...' XD

i love the opening sequence for the series! love how there's all these mechanised elements rising up from the very typical fantasy story world map to represent each of the major cities. :D

+1

The opening sequence changes almost each episode. In ep2, they show the Dothrak sea instead of Pentos in ep1. It will change like that through the season to show new locations mention on the episode of the day. I think it's cool, non-readers don't have the map you have in the books.

i do wonder if since playing Boromir, Sean Bean's ended up being typecast in medieval fantasy roles. even if Ned isn't like Boromir at all aside from being a medieval fantasy lord. i don't really remember him in any other type of roles lately.

+1! XD But medieval things suits him so well...!!

Also FUCK THE PRINCE. Damn I've hated that **** since the first scene he was shown in. The Queen seemed nice at first but then FUCK HER TOO. And the King is a total douche now as well.

Fuck everyone but Boromir and his family.

I love this show. I really want to read the books now...

They're ace!

Also FUCK THE PRINCE. Damn I've hated that **** since the first scene he was shown in.

We all agree...

tumblr_lksmryIFE01qjk86eo1_250.gif

:D

Can't wait for episode 4 tomorrow :cool:

Yeah, he's her twin brother and Tyrion is their little brother ;) Apparently it appears to be not clear to non-readers...Though they did mention a few times in episode 1 that Jaime is Cersei's brother so... :thinking:

yeah, i kinda remembered mentions of him being his sister. not so obvious that he's the twin brother tho, methinks. but my simpleton mind still got confused anyway.

The direwolves are very important and there's actually a scene in episode 1 that foreshadow events to come. I want a direwolf too but as gL says 'you want to hug them but they can rip you fuckin face off...' XD

which part was that? when they found the pups? cos i'm a bit hazy on what happened in Episode 1 with regards to the direwolves by now... :embarrassed:

+1

The opening sequence changes almost each episode. In ep2, they show the Dothrak sea instead of Pentos in ep1. It will change like that through the season to show new locations mention on the episode of the day. I think it's cool, non-readers don't have the map you have in the books.

i did not realise that either! (obviously i wasn't really paying attention to the opening sequence beyond Episode 1) :P :embarrassed:

Also FUCK THE PRINCE. Damn I've hated that **** since the first scene he was shown in. The Queen seemed nice at first but then FUCK HER TOO. And the King is a total douche now as well.

Fuck everyone but Boromir and his family.

veering towards the wrong show already there, aren't we? ;)

that king pretty much established himself to be a douche from the moment he arrived at Winterfell. nice enough fellow, but proved to be quite reliant on his advisors & Ned for the important matters.

yeah, i kinda remembered mentions of him being his sister. not so obvious that he's the twin brother tho, methinks. but my simpleton mind still got confused anyway.

When Jaime arrived in Winterfell with the court (and get off his helmet Prince Shrek Charming style), Arya said to Sansa (I quote) 'here's Jaime Lannister, the queen's twin brother'

That's pretty clear IMO XD

which part was that? when they found the pups? cos i'm a bit hazy on what happened in Episode 1 with regards to the direwolves by now... :embarrassed:

Won't tell you which scene is symbolic. You'll find out yourself at the end of season 1. Re-watch episode 1 then and you'll be...aaaaahhhhh!

that king pretty much established himself to be a douche from the moment he arrived at Winterfell. nice enough fellow, but proved to be quite reliant on his advisors & Ned for the important matters.

I like Robert... :P His fault is that he's useless when inactiv (aka not at war). So he's grown bored, fat and lazy. But in battle and moral ground, he was decent.

Episode 4 was gooood! Two of my top10 character enter in the game: Samwell and Gendry. I LOVED the Wall scenes, just like in the book, Allister is making Jon and co a living hell, which makes only Jon go badass :cool: Good to see Ghost finally in action direwolf style :cool: :D Little Bran get its saddle (and Hodor!), Robb get all big-brother-lord Stark style :cool: Too bad we didn't see his direwolf Grey-wind kick Tyrion ass...but hey, we got Ghost so. Dany is putting the badass mode on too as well as Mama Bear Catelyn, and Ned is going all CSI:King's Landing. Love that part!

And I LOVE how the writers gave hints that forshadow what will happen in S2 and S3, just with some innocent talk between character. It made me grin :D

Bring on episode 5!

The blondie king's prostitute (who he treats like shit cause he's an asshole) is so gorgeous, wow. I love her character.

You love the devil! :lol:

TOTALLY DID NOT SEE THAT ENDING COMING. I NEARLY JUMPED OUT OF MY CHAIR WHEN ALL THOSE GUYS PULLED THEIR SWORDS ON THE DWARF GUY. LET'S GO LADY STARK!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah let's go Lady Stark.... :confused:

Promo episode 5!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6k0qFeiUzg]YouTube - Game of Thrones - Episode 1.05 - The Wolf and the Lion - Promo[/ame]

the game is ON!

The sword-fight scenes in the series are amazing. Some of the best I've ever seen!:cool:

Just seen the one where Stark was attacked after leaving that brothel.

Poor Jory...

I loved the Mountain/Hound fight! The way Sandor kneeled to Robert avoiding his brother sword was *o*

tumblr_llaz65HyOJ1qffn17o1_500.gif

game of thrones is so good you should all read the books they're even better.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000 (I'm currently startinf A Feast for crows). Everytime a new character hit the screen, I'm becoming all :dance:

Next week preview...(episode partly written by GRRM himself!)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU7VpQYd_yg]YouTube - Game Of Thrones: Episode 6 Preview (HBO)[/ame]

The episode is titled 'a golden crown'....somebody is gonna get crowned :D but finally Robb will get some screen time! The Young Wolf is entering the game bitches! :cool: :smug: