✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

"Life In Technicolor" had a sample

"Talk" also made use of a sample.

Come on guys...how can you be upset about this? For years Coldplay has been taking conventional (or previously used) melodies and turning them into much better songs. Lack of creativity? Okay, make a better song off a sample -- I dare you!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on guys...how can you be upset about this? For years Coldplay has been taking conventional (or previously used) melodies and turning them into much better songs. Lack of creativity? Okay, make a better song off a sample -- I dare you!

LiT is a intro.

Talk has the same motive but different sound.

What f*cking years of borrowing are you talking about? Because 2 song out of 50 has samples?

Neither made up the spine of the song or were the big comeback single but to be honest that's not my only issue with ETIAW.

I don't see why if they like a melody or riff - just take that, play around with it and make it their own.

LiT is a intro.

Talk has the same motive but different sound.

What f*cking years of borrowing are you talking about? Because 2 song out of 50 has samples?

They've noted it themselves. They may not directly sample to the point of crediting an artist, but they have definitely been HEAVILY influenced by other songs since day one. Again, they've said it themselves, that they are always taking bits and pieces from other places and making it into their own. It's not plagiarism, it's what true geniuses do -- act like a sponge of sorts and make their final product a combination of their own creativity and all things around them. That's a definition of genius that I have held long before I ever listened to a Coldplay record.

And relax! I think we're on the same side, here. Pro-Coldplay, that is.

Neither made up the spine of the song or were the big comeback single but to be honest that's not my only issue with ETIAW.

I don't see why if they like a melody or riff - just take that, play around with it and make it their own.

"Talk" was completely built around the lead melody from "Computer Love".

So eh, I listened to "I Go To Rio" and I can't seem to find where they took some elements. Can someone point it out in this vid (seconds):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgq1g-2cQ54]YouTube - ‪Peter Allen - I go to Rio‬‏[/ame]

^Yes.

They've noted it themselves. They may not directly sample to the point of crediting an artist, but they have definitely been HEAVILY influenced by other songs since day one. Again, they've said it themselves, that they are always taking bits and pieces from other places and making it into their own. It's not plagiarism, it's what true geniuses do -- act like a sponge of sorts and make their final product a combination of their own creativity and all things around them. That's a definition of genius that I have held long before I ever listened to a Coldplay record.

And relax! I think we're on the same side, here. Pro-Coldplay, that is.

I don't think it's a genius thing to do, I think it takes much more creativity to create something ompletely new that you thought of yourself, but that's my opinion.

Also, if you start categorizing people with pro-coldplay and anti-coldplay, you'll start a war. It's not because some people criticize the song that they are anti-Coldplay.

"Talk" was completely built around the lead melody from "Computer Love".

I thought it was just the Riff. Well I never liked that song anyway at least the album version. I liked the leaked version best.

You are right, it is just the riff, the chord progression isn't the same, the melody Chris sings during the verses and the break have nothing to do with Computer Love :nod:.

There are only so many different rhythms, chord progressions, and melodic lines...etc....pretty soon they'll all be recycled. It's all been done at this point. Hard to be original at this point. What separates them all are the lyrics.

ETA: I hadn't heard of "Ritmo de la noche" or "I go to Rio" till I came to this site.

I can only laugh at the notion that something "new" can be done. Everything has a predecessor. Every book, every film, every song, every haircut, every decision, every personality. Sometimes the lineage is traceable, sometimes it isn't. But it's always there. Every artist is indebted to other artists, who are indebted to other artists, and on and on and on.

I can only laugh at the notion that something "new" can be done. Everything has a predecessor. Every book, every film, every song, every haircut, every decision, every personality. Sometimes the lineage is traceable, sometimes it isn't. But it's always there. Every artist is indebted to other artists, who are indebted to other artists, and on and on and on.

this.

and can we close this thread now?

Yep. :) It's nice to know that a fellow Arkansan shares my PO\/!

But the new single doesn't try and be fresh or new - it just tries to tick as many boxes as it can to appeal to the mass audience without having the balls to take any risks.

^Yes.

I don't think it's a genius thing to do, I think it takes much more creativity to create something ompletely new that you thought of yourself, but that's my opinion.

Also, if you start categorizing people with pro-coldplay and anti-coldplay, you'll start a war. It's not because some people criticize the song that they are anti-Coldplay.

You are right, it is just the riff, the chord progression isn't the same, the melody Chris sings during the verses and the break have nothing to do with Computer Love :nod:.

I disagree. "Talk" is built around that riff. Of course there will be changes in other aspects of the song. The Computer Love riff is at the heart of the hook, and absolutely an inspiration for other parts of the song. I would be very surprised if the writing of that song did not start with the CL riff.

this.

and can we close this thread now?

This.

I just downloaded ETIAW from Amazon and, when I play it in Windows Media Player, the composer shown is Adrienne Anderson. Obviously the composers of "I Go To Rio" are credited along with the band. So no plagiarism.