✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP5 to be released on July 1?!?!

arschpoeler

Okay, so I think that makes sense and I've been thinking that the album CAN'T have a fall release. Here's why. Sorry, I keep returning to this thread. I'm just so antsy (it's 4am here...no idea why I'm awake).

Anyway, let's look at the release dates and sales figures for the previous albums.

Parachutes: 10 July 2000 (6,500 copies sold, but their debut so ignore this)

Rush of Blood: 26 August 2002 (273924 copies sold)

X&Y: 6 June 2005 (~737,000 copies sold) :stunned:

Viva: 11 June 2008 (720,000 copies sold) :stunned:

cite: Billboard info. This is US billboard info, but the US is a good way to measure this stuff due to size and diversity: sampling stuff.

Note: Coldplay was pretty damn big before Rush of Blood. I was like 10 years old and I couldn't get "Yellow" out of my head. So I think figures are pretty accurate to compare from RoB and onward. RoB was released the latest, yet sold almost 1/3 the amount that X&Y did, despite having a more successful debut single.

Coldplay are inherently a SUMMER band, plain and simple. They're more successful this time of year. My favorite band: But I can't picture myself sitting around and avidly listening to it in the dead cold of winter. I felt so strange when anxiously awaiting "Christmas Lights" in flippin' December.

Just like Dave Matthews Band. They don't play in the winter, neither does Coldplay, generally.

Why would Coldplay release an album at the beginning of this dry spell of profitability? You'd better believe this album has a carefully-calculated release date to maximize profit. EMI is HUGE and knows how to market stuff. Cite: Release dates/sales for previous albums.

I've always been skeptical of the Fall release because I simply don't think it would be profitable or make any type of fiscal sense. Other bands that fill stadiums don't release albums in the winter or fall. It makes no sense.

Assuming their current formula is successful (which it is), Coldplay will release LP5 before the trees turn. No doubt. I don't know if this means July or August (maybe early September: doubt it though), but I'm sure it will work out this way.

EMI still has Coldplay by the balls and they know how this stuff is manipulated.

While I don't think it will be released July 1, it should be released by freaking September. For real. I think a radio station isn't a very good source of info, but I do like the optimism :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your reasoning makes little sense. Simply because they've done things consistently in the past doesn't necessarily mean that they'll continue to maintain that consistency. Thus is the nature of a band, or any creative force; they change, they grow, they mature.

Plus, perhaps EMI are taking a risk; asking them to release the album during their 'dry spell', to bring forth the rains, as it were.

Your reasoning makes little sense. Simply because they've done things consistently in the past doesn't necessarily mean that they'll continue to maintain that consistency. Thus is the nature of a band, or any creative force; they change, they grow, they mature.

Plus, perhaps EMI are taking a risk; asking them to release the album during their 'dry spell', to bring forth the rains, as it were.

I'm not really saying that they'll be doing it just for consistency's sake. I'm saying they'll do it to maximize profitability.

EMI are the worst risk-takers ever. And they know that. Remember with Viva so much of their well-being as a company depended on that release? I really doubt they'd gamble on this one.

:

I felt so strange when anxiously awaiting "Christmas Lights" in flippin' December.

Just like Dave Matthews Band. They don't play in the winter, neither does Coldplay, generally.

What?! Complete nonsense, they have played shows in December the last 3 years in a row in the UK. And what about the Vegas show last New Year?

I think BEST case scenario will be that a new single will be release in July, no way LP5 though... no way.

What?! Complete nonsense, they have played shows in December the last 3 years in a row in the UK. And what about the Vegas show last New Year?

I think BEST case scenario will be that a new single will be release in July, no way LP5 though... no way.

I mean they are a professional band so they will play on occasion during the off-season or whatever. But it is a seasonal type of thing. Look at the concerts: Gatecount, number of concerts, revenue, etc. Compared between seasons, that is.

I'm just saying that it would make more fiscal sense to do so in July/August than in October.

I'm sure a new single will be released by the end of July at least, so I agree with you in that respect. I'm not going to buy into the July 1 thing for LP5. I mean, if that's true, where's the media?

Well, I think it's possible because betweet Pinkpop & Glastonbury are a lot of days, they could work out LP5 and release it in the beginning of july?

You never thought about how much time it takes to make all those copys? all that artwork? To ship the albums to the stores?

With that in mind, and several hints from 42 and oracle that the album isn't completed yet, I think it will not have a release before the end of September.

I think they're release it at the start of October. And then you can see the south-Africa shows as the first shows of the new tour. That will start end of October.

The source says it's a reliable source they got it from, but I think it's not true at all. We would have an official announcement first. This is the only source we have, coming from a German radio station. Which isn't very reliable for information about a British band that has more than one way to announce things on their own.

Personally, I believe we will know more in the first half of July, but a release before half August seems very unlikely.

Yeah, very unlikely. Perhaps a second single...?

Bingo. Seems the most likely. Although I wouldn't say July 1 for a new single. Probably very late July if there's a new single released next month. Would make sense for a September release. Release the "official" first single and let it percolate for 6-8 weeks with a music video, then release the album.

I'm of the mind that ETIAW isn't the "official" first single. No album details and no music video are my reasons for this line of thought.

the boys have been very very mysterious this time with the new album. anything can happen, but I really think that we will have to wait at least 2 more months. From the little information that we have, it seems that the album is not yet finished and of course EMI will want to do a huge promotion about this one. Hold your horses everybody, it surely will drop out sometime this year, but maybe not as soon as we want...Still should be a great album judging what we have heard until now...

Nope, not gonna happen. August at the EARLIEST. Though I'm betting on a September or October release date. Even once an album is finished, there's usually a span of 2-3 months before its release to allow time for promotion.

well I think an october release is a bit odd, really. July 1 seems more realistic considering the dates of their other releases.

and i stand by July.

completely agree with this post.

or maybe August but i don't think more than this.

I'd rather have a masterpiece released in November than a dull record released tomorrow.

This. Over a year you will forget you waited a few months more, but then the album is the same and cool masterpiece.

Maybe if they release it soon it's cool for tomorrow, but over a few years the record will be forgotten. So Coldplay, put your time in this one and release a masterpiece :D

I think it's a bit too early if we consider what the R42 said about the guys going back to the studio and all that.

True.... Or they could be working on another set of songs for an EP, like Prospekts March that didn't make the cut for viva.