✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

This song has the edge they have been looking for

UrbanBuckeye33

Forget about the odd vocal effect for a second (which I don't love, but can appreciate). This is the edginess that a coldplay song just has never had. It is uptempo and really has some teeth. I can't ever remember hearing a song that had the real darkness and power of a Muse or a radiohead song like Bodysnatchers, but this is it. The guitar work here is amazing, and the bass work is as good as I have heard out of Coldplay. This is a fantastic song.

They really have that Radiohead sound right now, but in their own unique way.

• Like 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how we didn't see Will singing before, because in the leftrightleftright, Chris says "Now, this is the moment where we show you how could our band could of been", and introduces Will singing

No argument on bodysnatchers being better than this track. But I like the direction. I can appreciate that everyone makes different songs and sounds and this one is pretty stellar.

In that case, I agree 100%.

Guest howyousawtheworld

This would tear Parachutes to shreds if it ever came into contact with it.

Hell yes! The thing Jonny does on the guitar before entering in the chorus is very reminiscent of (the other) Johnny in Creep. I love the song, and for those who are hating on the vocals - HEY. 1. It's not autotune and 2. Muse and Radiohead have BOTH used a lot of funky vocal effects to trick out their songs. It's a legit thing to do and it sounds good.

As said by many, MM is one of the best songs they have created, so energetic and with such an unique sound. The vocal distortion fits in it completely. I don't know if they have been looking for an edge, but this song definitely has one. I am still in doubt though if it even isn't Jonny singing (too)..

^ I'm with you. I can't make up my mind if I hear Jonny or not . . .

If you listen to the Live 2003 version of Politik, you can hear Jonny singing backup in a couple of parts (he sounds really creepy, but in a good way) and there's a few parts in Major Minus that remind me strongly of that. . . . We should ask the Oracle!

^ I'm with you. I can't make up my mind if I hear Jonny or not . . .

If you listen to the Live 2003 version of Politik, you can hear Jonny singing backup in a couple of parts (he sounds really creepy, but in a good way) and there's a few parts in Major Minus that remind me strongly of that. . . . We should ask the Oracle!

Don't forget Daylight. :D

Bodysnatchers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>> Major Minus

:nod:

fixed

How does it have a Radiohead sound to it? I basically find it more U2 ish than anything.

yeah I agree. it has U2 written all over it, especially w/ the guitar

Guest howyousawtheworld
Don't forget Daylight. :D

Daylight is much better live than on record. Overall not the best Coldplay song though. Good but no where near most on AROBTTH let alone their whole back catalogue.

Just because the title of this thread has "the edge"..... :lol:

No :thinking: it sounds more like it has U2 or any of the likes of U2, not really Radiohead. That response was pretty silly. I will agree it sounds Radiohead-ish when he sings making the sounds Thom makes, the moaning, the whimping, the weird music sounds, the hard to get into thing and a Jonny Greenwood-esque part. This song has guitar effects, woah omg, it is definitely Radiohead.

No :thinking: it sounds more like it has U2 or any of the likes of U2, not really Radiohead. That response was pretty silly. I will agree it sounds Radiohead-ish when he sings making the sounds Thom makes, the moaning, the whimping, the weird music sounds, the hard to get into thing and a Jonny Greenwood-esque part. This song has guitar effects, woah omg, it is definitely Radiohead.

It was a silly response because I meant it as a joke. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

In any case, I'm having trouble comparing MM to anything on the basis of the guitar work. On the other hand, I do think it has the tone of a Radiohead song - as others pointed out, Bodysnatchers. It has that atmosphere of paranoia and fear through the instrumentation and vocals + lyrics, which is captured very often in Radiohead songs but perhaps in different ways.