✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

This song has the edge they have been looking for

UrbanBuckeye33

No. Not about nothing. About so many people being negative about it. It's as if they can't be pleased at all. If this is a Coldplay fansite why is everyone complaining about them? Why do they have to bring everyone else down?

True. It just gets annoying seeing Coldplay is U2. Coldplay is U2. Coldplay is U2. Coldplay is Radiohead. Coldplay is Radiohead. Coldplay is Radiohead. Just a bit. And I mean they're working with Brian Eno for Gosh sake. What else do you expect? Is that really needed to be pointed out? As if anyone here doesn't know he worked with U2 and basically shaped their sound sonic-wise

In my opinion there is. And if you're picky about everything how can you ever be satisfied with it? People find something to complain about in absolutely everything and can't just be damn happy for once. :angry: Is appreciation non-existent these days? ETIAW is dreadful, it's so out there. Nothing like their older stuff. MM sucks because they're doing something different. I wish people weren't so against change and for stagnation. It's like listening to conservative political ideology. :shifty:

In order to get as good as them in the first place, then go beyond that. No one can play music without having heard it anywhere else at all. Everyone's heard music and you can't help but be influenced by something, whatever it is. If you weren't influenced by people, you wouldn't be able to play the instruments at all in the first place.

When people are comparing them all the time it insinuates as if they don't have any original thoughts of their own. They're not some band who just rips everyone off like people/other artists seem to think. "They stole this song from me", "I hear this and I know that's really mine", "they sound so much like this band it's insane", "Hear that shimmery guitar? That's U2-ish." "Hear that falsetto vocal? That's Radiohead-esque." As if U2 and Radiohead were even the first/only bands to do that anyway. How about "They're an inspirational and talented band who deserves accolades for 13 years of terrific music and they've really made a positive impact on my life." Is that so much to ask? Is it so HARD to be positive?

Oh, geez. I knew this was going to happen...

First of all, if you hold strong to your opinion about how much you love the song, then why does the opinion of others even matter? If people don't like it, that's their right. Honestly, I haven't seen anything horribly negative in this thread about the matter (e.g. "Wow, this song sucks," "Coldplay are stupid"), so I don't get why that's a problem. I also don't see how anyone is being brought down.

No one said anything about Coldplay = U2. People merely mentioned that this particular song reminded them of U2. There's a huge difference, and if so many people are mentioning it, there has to be at least a little bit of validity there, does it not? That doesn't make people wrong.

Exactly. It is an opinion. Anyway, about this whole thing about being picky...REALLY? Wow. Way to just blow my mind. There are a lot of people who like the songs. That's fine. There are also people who don't like the songs. Believe it or not, that's also completely OK. I don't get why people have to make such a fuss over an opinion that's not even theirs and, in turn, shouldn't even matter in the grand scheme of things. In fact, here, lemme give you my opinions. Honestly, ETIAW isn't that great. It's not. The only thing that really keeps me listening to the song at all is the guitar part; while it's not the greatest guitar riff ever, it's catchy. That was a smart move to put it in there. If it weren't, I'd probably hate the song. As far as "Major Minus" goes, it's much better than ETIAW, but I still like a lot of other Coldplay songs a helluva lot more. SO SUE ME. As a fan, I have a right to talk about what I don't like in a song. That doesn't make me picky, nor does that make me someone who always complains about something Coldplay does. It's my honest opinion. I hold firm on it. I don't make a fuss over your opinions; don't make a fuss over mine. While I'm at it, I'd like to mention how I find your comparison of said opinions to the conservative ideology to be highly ironic, given how you are reacting to everything. You're too caught up in your love of Coldplay to allow anyone to express a disagreement about anything. If that weren't the case, you wouldn't make the posts that you're making now.

But they haven't taken it beyond. At least, not in my opinion, which I have a right to express. They're not the most skilled players of their instruments. In fact, in the Keeper thread, I keep a quote that Will said about how he's "the best non-drummer in the world." They themselves admit they're not as skilled as other people. I don't get the point you were trying to make with that. Yeah, I love their music, but I've heard more innovative things from other bands. Sorry if that offends you (even though I shouldn't be, because it's what I believe).

You just proved your point wrong with what you said there. "U2-ish." "Radiohead-esque." Even if I did think that they sounded like another band, that's not necessarily a bad thing. You're taking it as such, it seems to me, and I don't understand why. No, it's not too much to ask to be positive, and there are plenty of people who are being positive. However, there are also going to be people who have negative thoughts on it, and if you can't handle it, well, that's not my problem.

-------------------------------------------------

While I'm in the middle of my huge rant here, I feel like I need to speak my mind on something.

Ever since ETIAW came out, I've tried to be very careful with what I say to people. Never have I said anything particularly rude about Coldplay or anything, and I remind people about how much I love this band. However, apparently, if I say anything critical about Coldplay, I am immediately shunned by other members. It doesn't have to even matter; it can be something little like, "I don't like this part of this song," and people get all riled up over nothing. Yeah, there are a few people who troll around and get a little out of hand sometimes, but a lot of us with similar opinions to mine aren't like that, and I know I'm not aiming to be rude to people. I don't get why people have to be that way. I AM SICK AND TIRED of trying so hard to be so damn nice about how I explain things when people are just going to start stupid arguments over NOTHING and not even take what I say seriously or, what happens most of the time, just ignore me. I've tried really hard to be patient with some of you people. It's over now. I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS CRAP.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, geez. I knew this was going to happen...

First of all, if you hold strong to your opinion about how much you love the song, then why does the opinion of others even matter? If people don't like it, that's their right. Honestly, I haven't seen anything horribly negative in this thread about the matter (e.g. "Wow, this song sucks," "Coldplay are stupid"), so I don't get why that's a problem. I also don't see how anyone is being brought down.

No one said anything about Coldplay = U2. People merely mentioned that this particular song reminded them of U2. There's a huge difference, and if so many people are mentioning it, there has to be at least a little bit of validity there, does it not? That doesn't make people wrong.

Exactly. It is an opinion. Anyway, about this whole thing about being picky...REALLY? Wow. Way to just blow my mind. There are a lot of people who like the songs. That's fine. There are also people who don't like the songs. Believe it or not, that's also completely OK. I don't get why people have to make such a fuss over an opinion that's not even theirs and, in turn, shouldn't even matter in the grand scheme of things. In fact, here, lemme give you my opinions. Honestly, ETIAW isn't that great. It's not. The only thing that really keeps me listening to the song at all is the guitar part; while it's not the greatest guitar riff ever, it's catchy. That was a smart move to put it in there. If it weren't, I'd probably hate the song. As far as "Major Minus" goes, it's much better than ETIAW, but I still like a lot of other Coldplay songs a helluva lot more. SO SUE ME. As a fan, I have a right to talk about what I don't like in a song. That doesn't make me picky, nor does that make me someone who always complains about something Coldplay does. It's my honest opinion. I hold firm on it. I don't make a fuss over your opinions; don't make a fuss over mine. While I'm at it, I'd like to mention how I find your comparison of said opinions to the conservative ideology to be highly ironic, given how you are reacting to everything. You're too caught up in your love of Coldplay to allow anyone to express a disagreement about anything. If that weren't the case, you wouldn't make the posts that you're making now.

But they haven't taken it beyond. At least, not in my opinion, which I have a right to express. They're not the most skilled players of their instruments. In fact, in the Keeper thread, I keep a quote that Will said about how he's "the best non-drummer in the world." They themselves admit they're not as skilled as other people. I don't get the point you were trying to make with that. Yeah, I love their music, but I've heard more innovative things from other bands. Sorry if that offends you (even though I shouldn't be, because it's what I believe).

You just proved your point wrong with what you said there. "U2-ish." "Radiohead-esque." Even if I did think that they sounded like another band, that's not necessarily a bad thing. You're taking it as such, it seems to me, and I don't understand why. No, it's not too much to ask to be positive, and there are plenty of people who are being positive. However, there are also going to be people who have negative thoughts on it, and if you can't handle it, well, that's not my problem.

-------------------------------------------------

While I'm in the middle of my huge rant here, I feel like I need to speak my mind on something.

Ever since ETIAW came out, I've tried to be very careful with what I say to people. Never have I said anything particularly rude about Coldplay or anything, and I remind people about how much I love this band. However, apparently, if I say anything critical about Coldplay, I am immediately shunned by other members. It doesn't have to even matter; it can be something little like, "I don't like this part of this song," and people get all riled up over nothing. Yeah, there are a few people who troll around and get a little out of hand sometimes, but a lot of us with similar opinions to mine aren't like that, and I know I'm not aiming to be rude to people. I don't get why people have to be that way. I AM SICK AND TIRED of trying so hard to be so damn nice about how I explain things when people are just going to start stupid arguments over NOTHING and not even take what I say seriously or, what happens most of the time, just ignore me. I've tried really hard to be patient with some of you people. It's over now. I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS CRAP.

Sorry. Gosh. And you certainly do not sound huggable. How does someone delete their profile btw?

Sorry? Sorry for what? There's no need to be sorry about anything.

Yeah, I know I don't sound huggable right now, but most people aren't when they're severely agitated. Really, you don't know who I am as a person, so for you to make an assumption like that based on all of three posts is a bit silly.

Oh, and if you were inquiring about how to block me (which, by the way, is perfectly fine by me), go to the User CP. There's an ignore list option there, and you just add my user name there and voila! You don't have to read anything I say anymore. Have a nice day. :nice:

Sorry? Sorry for what? There's no need to be sorry about anything.

Yeah, I know I don't sound huggable right now, but most people aren't when they're severely agitated. Really, you don't know who I am as a person, so for you to make an assumption like that based on all of three posts is a bit silly.

Oh, and if you were inquiring about how to block me (which, by the way, is perfectly fine by me), go to the User CP. There's an ignore list option there, and you just add my user name there and voila! You don't have to read anything I say anymore. Have a nice day. :nice:

Many things.

? :| I never said anything about who you are. Except you weren't currently huggable. You could be a really great person and I probably wouldn't know.

I appreciate it. A nice day to you as well.

Fantastic

I have to say the studio version grabs me much more than the live one. Love the effect on Chris' voice, which I think fits the theme of media representation/papparazzi/disguising of the truth that the song talks about. Dark, thrilling and an awesome guitar solo. Top notch.

I have to say the studio version grabs me much more than the live one. Love the effect on Chris' voice, which I think fits the theme of media representation/papparazzi/disguising of the truth that the song talks about. Dark, thrilling and an awesome guitar solo. Top notch.

I agree! ;)

Just popping in to clarify why I compared MM to Creep - the crunchy distorty guitar thing that Jonny does right before the chorus. It's like what Johnny does before the chorus in Creep. Totally superficial, I know. kthxbai...remember that we all love music. :)

No. I mean I see it. Similar sound. Johnny G's goes. ja-ja...ja-ja. And Jonny B's goes. ja-ja-ja-ja without the pause. Great riff though either way.

• 1 month later...
I don't dislike the kind of sound MM is bringing, I just think it's waaaay to repetitive and the solo that is the second half of the song doesn't thrill me.

and ETIAW isn't repeative? jesus! towards the end its just over n over again

but the song is kinda growing on me...still dont like it thou lol

and ETIAW isn't repeative? jesus! towards the end its just over n over again

but the song is kinda growing on me...still dont like it thou lol

I like the 2nd half free flow of ETIAW better than MM, and lyrically ETIAW is much better to me.

it's probably not the edge they were looking for, as it reminds quite a bit of people of radiohead (for me, esp. hail to the thief), and last time chris apparently really disliked being compared to RH and modified 42 or whatever that song was off VLV, no?

in any case. i like this song. i can't stand ETIAW

Wow, I guess I'm the odd one out, here. In my opinion the song absolutely does not have the edge the band is looking for and the main guitar riff and vocal effect is the only thing the song has going for it :p

It's just so obvious, musically. I like the lyrics, I like Chris' snarly vocals, I like the opening riff. But for some reason it just doesn't come together to me in a meaningful way. It sounds insincere and too radio-friendly for its own good. I think this is supposed to be a really angry song, but for some reason they're holding something back. It's not terrible, it just sounds unfinished. Like a rough draft of a potentially awesome song. Definitely my least favorite song from these sessions.

EDIT: Also, I'm kind of surprised at the Radiohead comparisons. I don't hear it (and I fancy myself quite the Radiohead fan ;) )

^

I agree. Major Minus lacks the edge for me because it doesn't have any loudness. It's not... I guess I could say 'badass'. The drums keep a spineless and subdued beat and don't compliment any of Jonny's awesome guitar work. It seems like Coldplay quells their visceral emotions by hiding behind effects and extra production.

I'm not trying to say it's a bad song. I think it's fun! But I'm just feel like it doesn't have that edge.

May I say that in the live version when Jonny's guitar solo is about to start at the end, Chris's build up at 3:35 with the "AHHHHHHHHHHHHH" makes my hair stand on end. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k50UVOBS5SU]Coldplay - Major Minus (LIVE @ Rock am Ring 2011) (04.06.11) (NEW SONG!) (HQ 16:9) - YouTube[/ame] It's epic!! If this song was approached with the AROBTTH sound, it'd be a huge hit! The Live version is sooooo great.