✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Radiohead

Atease should be up later today. The website itself is, supposedly, already on upgraded servers but the message board still needs to be updated (or its software does). Fret not.

Although I'm not sure the situation's gonna be any better on Saturday. COME ON, ADE :bomb:

i think it is an interesting question. is radiohead still wary of bands like coldplay and U2? do they (or their people) really care if their release dates conflict. are they genuine competition?

personally i think theres a very distinct difference between radiohead and the other 2. radiohead has very much a "cult" following meaning they have a (albeit large) distinct loyal following who will buy their stuff regardless of quality or hype. whereas u2 and coldplay have a fairly mainstream following most of whom will buy the album depending on whether there is a hit song going around or a lot of hype built on marketing.

so basically i dont think coldplay and u2 are any threat to radiohead, at least commercially speaking.

I agree, it's an interesting idea. I don't think Radiohead really care that much. They almost never march to the music industry's beat, and they are not signed to a label that's going to push them to compete regardless of their own will. So, no, I don't think Radiohead care what the other two bands are doing. Of course, I don't know anything for certain; it's just a hunch.

U2 and Coldplay have super devout fans, but I get what your saying. The hardcore fans (like myself) are going to by the album no matter what, and I think there are a lot of people like me in that regard. However, u2 and coldplay are much more likely to pick up the casual fan if the album starts to achieve some level of mainstream success. Also, u2 and coldplay are infinitely more likely to have an album that does, in fact, achieve mainstream success.

Basically, what bjaiken said. Moreover, people don't care so much about CDs as they did years ago, and Radiohead, as far as I know, have never openly competed with either U2 or Coldplay so there's no way we'd see a spin-off (if I can call it that) to the Battle of Britpop any time soon (if ever).

i think it is an interesting question. is radiohead still wary of bands like coldplay and U2? do they (or their people) really care if their release dates conflict. are they genuine competition?

personally i think theres a very distinct difference between radiohead and the other 2. radiohead has very much a "cult" following meaning they have a (albeit large) distinct loyal following who will buy their stuff regardless of quality or hype. whereas u2 and coldplay have a fairly mainstream following most of whom will buy the album depending on whether there is a hit song going around or a lot of hype built on marketing.

so basically i dont think coldplay and u2 are any threat to radiohead, at least commercially speaking.

Ed O'Brien from Radiohead talks about U2 and the whole ''conquering the world'' mentality of these type of bands in this video interview:

Ed: 'We've always liked the indie side of things ..we are very much into the honor of selling fewer records and not whoring yourself out. It's bullshit really you know... but its just the way that we are''

If you're a Radiohead fan arguing this million ways they are better than Coldplay, you're pretty much equivalent to a coldplay fan insisting Coldplay is better than Radiohead. Just... ignore them. Coldplay is bigger. Radiohead is better... as of right now. But even that is a matter of opinion.

Anyways. So excited about this...

Chance of a leak? Slim to none?

I'd say there's pretty much no chance of a leak simply because the band is kind of leaking the album themselves on Sat.

I agree, it's an interesting idea. I don't think Radiohead really care that much. They almost never march to the music industry's beat, and they are not signed to a label that's going to push them to compete regardless of their own will. So, no, I don't think Radiohead care what the other two bands are doing. Of course, I don't know anything for certain; it's just a hunch.

U2 and Coldplay have super devout fans, but I get what your saying. The hardcore fans (like myself) are going to by the album no matter what, and I think there are a lot of people like me in that regard. However, u2 and coldplay are much more likely to pick up the casual fan if the album starts to achieve some level of mainstream success. Also, u2 and coldplay are infinitely more likely to have an album that does, in fact, achieve mainstream success.

You make a really good point. I think that Coldplay and U2 definitely have more of a mainstream following that their fans expect them to release really catchy pop songs. On the other hand I feel that fans and also a lot of critics expect from Radiohead a sense of innovation because they are always changing their sound, and also are experimental in ways they release music.

I'm not sure if Mike already pointed this out before (I would check but I'm too lazy to go through all the pages added yesterday :P), but after seeing this I'm pretty sure we can all agree TKOL is going to probably have 8 tracks.

yup that's what I saw yesterday, however if you go back to that site it's no longer there. So I'm not sure if they just don't want people to know how many tracks there are, or there actually isn't 8 songs. I guess we'll find out soon.

not disappointed by 8 considering the quality we can expect. Plus there's always the possibility of a later b-side disk a-la rainbows.

...or another album release shortly after (like how amnesiac was to kid a)

also another LP should be tonight, for OK Computer

edit: Someone posted a picture and it makes sense, the new album cover looks like Kid A meets In Rainbows

NwMe.Untitled-1.jpg

I'm not sure if Mike already pointed this out before (I would check but I'm too lazy to go through all the pages added yesterday :P), but after seeing this I'm pretty sure we can all agree TKOL is going to probably have 8 tracks.
Was that picture from the official site? I never saw that, and I even looked at the site within a couple of hours of them posting the pre-sale info.

mb still down? It must've really got battered :stunned:

Ahh sorry to anyone I may have confused. At 3:20am my mind wasn't quite working right. I meant to say Greenplastic/Mortigi tempo, a smaller radiohead fansite. Yes, as you can imagine, Atease is still down at the moment.

http://mortigitempo.com/really_bored/index.php?/topic/104415-the-official-lp9-speculation-thread/

My guess, LP8 part deux:

The King of Internal Organs

Well actually the album name isn't referring to any body parts, it's referring to a tree. I thought the same thing when I first heard it so don't worry.

From NME:

The name of the new album relates to an oak tree in Wiltshire's Savernake Forest, thought to be around 1,000 years old. The forest lies around three miles away from Tottenham House, a listed country house where Radiohead recorded part of 'In Rainbows'.

The tree is a pollarded oak, referring to an ancient technique for harvesting timber for fencing and firewood. The phrase also appears in the 23rd chapter of the Qu'ran.

Also the back cover, for those who haven't seen it yet:

tkolback.jpg

And check this out everyone, from the 'In the Shed' picture (the two paintings to the right of Stanley):

In_the_Shed.jpg

It's the mysterious creature :sneaky: (Thanks Edu for pointing it out) I imagine a lot of that artwork will be in the Newspaper Editions.

My boyfriend texted me about it while I was at Uni yesterday and I pretty much looked like this at the time..

AHHHHHHHHH

tumblr_lgl7u1GAy01qdro83o1_250.gif

I FREAKED OUT.

Glad it wasn't during some lecture haha.

I'm also cancelling anything for Staturdaay. No fucking way I'm doing any group work then. NO! Just NO!

PS: Pretty late post, I know haha. Just couldn't get online until now..

^I at first wasn't ecstatic about the front or back cover, but when you look at them in high res and you see all the details they really are beautiful.

I absolutely LOVE both covers, front and back. I really really really want the Newspaper edition :( But I feel like that $50 is going to come in handy when they announce a World Tour :D

I asked this question in the chat last night with Mike and I'll ask all you guys now. Which version of the cover do you think they'll use? There's the plain one without text (probably unlikely, since they've always put the title on the cover of their albums), there's the 'THE KING OF LIMBS' version (which is on the official site), and there's the 'KING OF LIMBS' + 'RADIOHEAD' version. Normally I would assume it's the cover on the official website, but the version with the band name above the album title is a bit more polished, and they've always had the band name on the covers. Not sure if it's fan-made or not, but as you can tell, more effects were used on the version that includes the band name:

radioheadcover4.jpg

180812_1841643798893_1174508605_2243019_2941921_n.jpg

168337_1841867604488_1174508605_2243539_4537706_n.jpg

/speculate

I absolutely LOVE both covers, front and back. I really really really want the Newspaper edition :( But I feel like that $50 is going to come in handy when they announce a World Tour :D

haha, that's i feel lucky i started saving to see them two years ago.

Even after buying the Newspaper album I've got nearly $350 to spare for touring :P

I asked this question in the chat last night with Mike and I'll ask all you guys now. Which version of the cover do you think they'll use? There's the plain one without text (probably unlikely, since they've always put the title on the cover of their albums), there's the 'THE KING OF LIMBS' version (which is on the official site), and there's the 'KING OF LIMBS' + 'RADIOHEAD' version. Normally I would assume it's the cover on the official website, but the version with the band name above the album title is a bit more polished, and they've always had the band name on the covers. Not sure if it's fan-made or not, but as you can tell, more effects were used on the version that includes the band name:

180812_1841643798893_1174508605_2243019_2941921_n.jpg

/speculate

The second one gets my vote, since (as you said) they usually have some form of text on the cover. And I also find the title more legible on the second one so yeah.