✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hurts Like Heaven studio version effects

FJK_12

2nd :stunned: they're just adding vocal effects as BACKUP, not as the main thing. The concept of the album is somewhat alien space themed, the effects give the vocalists, Chris, will, and Jonny, does Guy every sing aside from the Gold Rush, distorted voices while preserving their pitch and tone.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Relax. Just because they have a backing version with distorted vocals does not mean the main vocal track on the song will sound like that.

Jeez, you people are so twitchy.

This! We have no proof that the song will sound like that. And if it does, oh well. There is nothing we can do to change it. Besides, I think those are just the backing vocals that have been distorted, I don't think the actual vocal line will sound like that at all.

2nd :stunned: they're just adding vocal effects as BACKUP, not as the main thing. The concept of the album is somewhat alien space themed, the effects give the vocalists, Chris, will, and Jonny, does Guy every sing aside from the Gold Rush?

And also this. It's just backing vocals!! Not Chris' complete vocal line.

Relax. Just because they have a backing version with distorted vocals does not mean the main vocal track on the song will sound like that.

This! We have no proof that the song will sound like that. And if it does, oh well. There is nothing we can do to change it. Besides, I think those are just the backing vocals that have been distorted, I don't think the actual vocal line will sound like that at all.

It's not like this is the only bad thing we've heard in the past months, that's why we're worried. They've been doing one wrong thing after another. I hope they prove me wrong and release some good stuff but so far they are not giving us the right signs.

Welcome to Coldplaying, Land of Polarisation :lol:

I'll be the first to admit I'm being very harsh, along with a good portion of the fanbase, about almost everything they've done so far this summer. Despite what I seem like, anyway, I feel like I have a pretty open mind--I just don't see the harm in giving opinions (mixed in with predictions drawn from what we have so far) while we wait. I'm very interested in music business, particularly promotion and charting, so I tend to relate everything back to that, for better or for worse. I think this puts a lot of people on edge, especially when I end up phrasing things badly like I did in my last post in this thread.

...But for now...I don't like the way this backing track looks, personally. All we can do is see how it turns out on the actual record and blab until our mouths are sore until then.

...you guys do realize these backing tracks were extracted from a live version, right? If you can barely hear them in the live version, there's no reason to think that the studio version will be any different. MM is the only studio track we've heard with prominent vocal effects. MTM? None. ETIAW? Minor. Charlie Brown? None. Calm down.

The sad thing is that a lot of artists use autotune because they aren't talented enough to sound good without its help. Chris Martin, on the other hand, has sounded perfectly fine on 4 records without using autotune. Why does he need it now? I see no other explanation other than Coldplay wanting to "fit in" with the modern scene rather than rise above it. For a band that seemed to be heading down a U2-like stardom path, they're suddenly catering to the lowest common denominator for no reason.

Exactly my sentiments. His voice has worked throughout... why use Autotune? Even Major Minus had it.

I still say it's just away to attract to the audience that is used to autotune that's always used now.

EXACTLY. The idea they're putting forth, at least to more "veteran" fans, is that they just want more and more people to be fans with less concern for those who may be leaving. I don't necessarily think that's what they're CONSCIOUSLY doing, especially not the four members themselves, but that seems to be the line they're coming awfully close to crossing as far as we can tell right now.

That all sounds very harsh, especially because I'm pretty confident I'll like the album in some capacity, but I just wish they weren't being quite so ambitious on the business end of things anymore. God knows they don't really *need* to, but the fat cats in offices lined with gold records wouldn't agree, and I think those guys may be increasingly having influence.

I completely agree. I've said it once and I've said it again that they would rather lose their as you put it veteran fans and make way to take on new fans that might not really care about how the band sounds musically or how their lyrics are.

It really just annoys me. Because I followed this band for a while and really loved them a lot. And to see them just go in this direction of using Autotune and having songs like Teardrop... what the hell is going on? I mean honestly.

You listen to any song from their first album and then like Teardrop or any other songs in the last few years and it's not the same band at all. I'm not saying to always keep the same sound. Because from Parachutes->AROBTTH they changed their sound up a lot but it still worked.

I understand it's only backing vocals, but we've already had them use autotune now in Major Minus.

There is no need for them to use it... Major Minus would be so much better with regular vocals.

2nd :stunned: they're just adding vocal effects as BACKUP, not as the main thing. The concept of the album is somewhat alien space themed, the effects give the vocalists, Chris, will, and Jonny, does Guy every sing aside from the Gold Rush, distorted voices while preserving their pitch and tone.

It makes the band sound sloppy. As mentioned autotune is used usually for artists that don't have a good vocal range. Chris can sing those notes so why is it necessary?

And even if it is the whole UFO/Alien effect... there are much better ways of achieving that sound than using auto tune.

I for one can't understand how some fans can easily accept some of the things the band has done. I mean to be honest do none of you really think that the band is trying to appeal to a younger teenage audience?

I know people will respond but the reason why I'm so frustrated is because I used to love this band so much and I know the band can still write great songs (Moving to Mars, and Hurts Live Heaven in it's live form). But I feel they really just care about appealing to the masses more than anything else.

Bloody hell they're using a voice synthesizer!!! NOT AUTOTUNE :facepalm: Anyone know Soundwave from transformers G1? That deal.

Also theyre not trying to appeal to anyone. Coldplays been known to experiment, we all kno this guys so come on. Give me another band who uses a synth, has killer vocals, guitar, piano, drums, and bass, down to earth personality, and can wrote amazing songs that ANYONE can love. Coldplay doesn't try to appeal to anyone, rather, were attracted to their music.

So let's leave this whole autotune on a good note :nod: (get it? Autotune? Good note?)

...you guys do realize these backing tracks were extracted from a live version, right? If you can barely hear them in the live version, there's no reason to think that the studio version will be any different. MM is the only studio track we've heard with prominent vocal effects. MTM? None. ETIAW? Minor. Charlie Brown? None. Calm down.

Yeah we haven't heard the studio version, but that audio still sucks, even live they shouldn't have done that. And ETIAW is horrible as it is.

I completely agree. I've said it once and I've said it again that they would rather lose their as you put it veteran fans and make way to take on new fans that might not really care about how the band sounds musically or how their lyrics are.

It really just annoys me. Because I followed this band for a while and really loved them a lot. And to see them just go in this direction of using Autotune and having songs like Teardrop... what the hell is going on? I mean honestly.

You listen to any song from their first album and then like Teardrop or any other songs in the last few years and it's not the same band at all. I'm not saying to always keep the same sound. Because from Parachutes->AROBTTH they changed their sound up a lot but it still worked.

Exactly :bomb: they're not NSYNC WTF!

I for one can't understand how some fans can easily accept some of the things the band has done. I mean to be honest do none of you really think that the band is trying to appeal to a younger teenage audience?

Kids these days :lol: they have no opinions :P

I know people will respond but the reason why I'm so frustrated is because I used to love this band so much and I know the band can still write great songs (Moving to Mars, and Hurts Live Heaven in it's live form). But I feel they really just care about appealing to the masses more than anything else.

:sad:

Bloody hell they're using a voice synthesizer!!! NOT AUTOTUNE :facepalm: Anyone know Soundwave from transformers G1? That deal so let's leave this whole autotune on a good note :nod: (get it? Autotune? Good note?)

Who cares? it's just a detail and it's still bad. They don't need it and it doesn't add anything to the songs (well, to MM. I don't know what they'll do to HLH studio version.)

That's how I feel too. I like both old Coldplay and new Coldplay, but for reasons that have nothing to do with each other. I feel like I've articulated that idea further in other threads in the past few weeks and that I've cluttered this thread enough for one day, so I'll leave it at that. Bands that are more than a flash in the pan grow and change, but I feel like there's something a bit more to it in Coldplay's case sometimes.

Who cares? it's just a detail and it's still bad. They don't need it and it doesn't add anything to the songs (well, to MM. I don't know what they'll do to HLH studio version.)

People are mixing up Autotune with voice synthesizers, the difference be that one is used when people can't sing for the life of them, the other adds taste, and uniqueness to ones work.

The backing vocals also had harmonies to the vocal line making it sound more complete and different.

People are mixing up Autotune with voice synthesizers, the difference be that one is used when people can't sing for the life of them, the other adds taste, and uniqueness to ones work.

The backing vocals also had harmonies to the vocal line making it sound more complete and different.

Fine... then let's say it's voice synthesizers.

Really it doesn't make a difference. They're still trying to go for the same effect of an autotune type deal.

And having that effect is not making the band unique. If anything it makes them more like the other however many popular bands using the same type of effects since it's popular.

I mean do you really think it actually sounds good? honestly?

...it's such shit

wow, everyone really must realise that they added in the backing track to reinforce the main theme of the song and the album. I don't think they are adding those effects because they think they don't sound good but rather to add to the meaning and give it more depth. This is what vocal effects should be used for.......to add to the meaning.......not so that they sound better which we all know alot of artists are doing today.

i love the effects and i absolutely love the song. It's as if some people think that because they didn't use vocal effects in a song like "Shiver" that was released around 11 years ago, that they shouldn't use them now......which is crazy.

Anyway, listen to the 1 minute audio of charlie brown a few posts above and you'll see that they haven't used and vocal effects for that part of the song.