✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hurts Like Heaven studio version effects

FJK_12

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a lot of effects on the backing vocals, but that's about it. If you listen, the backing vocals on ETIAW have a lot of effects but Chris's voice doesn't. I just hope the vocal effects don't make their voices sounds like autotuned robots. There's no intimacy in music that's produced to the point where the instruments might as well be synthesizers.

It does not change the fact that some people won't like it. Some people don't like any effects on the voices.

I don't care. I love this song and just the fact that it exists makes me happy.

Well that's good! I wish people were as optimistic as you!

I think this says something though: If the effects are really getting the fans nervous, then they must really care about the song. That's awesome in itself! Hurts Like Heaven IS a masterpiece. I think people realize that, and they don't want it to be messed up!!! Same goes for Charlie Brown, which (effects or not) is still going to be their biggest hit... well, in my opinion it will be.

Eno seems to be rubbing off on them a lot.

Haha that's not a bad thing AT ALL sir! I mean have you heard U2"s Joshua Tree album?? Some great stuff! Eno is one, if not the best, of the greatest producers EVER! That's why VLVADAAHF was so AMAZING and FRESH, and that's exactly what LP5 is gonna be like! :D

Brian Eno also said that this particular album with this particular band was the most he's ever been involved with... I don't know where the article is, but it talks alot about him separating the band members, leaving out the singer for a while and then bringing them all together again. On the previous Coldplay albums, they would play the songs in a recording studio or church together and use those takes for the final edits (after overlaying effects), but now it seems as if they're just recording their instruments individually, which may make the album sound a bit over-produced.

This is also the longest gap in between albums Coldplay has had. My guess is that they had a particularly hard time deciding on the overall theme since it kept on evolving so much. When that happens, they get self-conscious and it prolongs everything even more. They take it into the studio to improve whatever it is they recorded, and then sometimes they tweak it so much that it sounds nothing like it would ever sound like Live.

Coldplay is a great band, but putting the power into the producer's hands is ultimately a band's downfall. Coldplay does great alone. I was fine with having Eno as an accessory, but not as practically a full-fledged band-member.

I hardly think this album will be a failure, but I'm going to be the negative nancy and try to lower everyone's expectations just in case it's not as amazing as we all speculate it will be.

And FYI, Eno was never as involved with Joshua or Achtung as he was with Viva or IS with this album. The only U2 album that Eno was truly huge on was definitely The Unforgettable Fire. U2 has always been able to create a very good tune, and Eno was always there to create a cohesive structure to their material. THAT'S what a producer is for.

• 2 weeks later...
I love the effects. I don't think that they should over do it, but I definitely love the "So cold, so cold" effect in the Rock Werchter. It sounds chilling-like. ;)

Exactly. I usually am a bit wary of effects, but it's awesome when they're sort of subtle, or when they fit the subject, like in Major Minus.

Me wants on album.

Cannot wait for a studio version :)

Question, the intro to this song at the festivals has been referred to as MX, how do we know it's MX and does that mean it's Mylo Xyloto? Have I missed something?

Didn't want to start ANOTHER thread in this place so sorry if that was OT

The insrtumental MX probably is Mylo Xyloto. Just look at the 2 album artworks. One says Mylo Xyloto and the other says MX. I assume they're the same song.

Safe assumption lol, but how do we know that this instrumental IS MX and not the intro to HLH? Like has it been confirmed anywhere? Sorry if the answer is obvious, I do feel like I've missed something :confused:

The Oracle confirmed it and in the more recent festivals MX comes up on the screen followed by Hurts Like Heaven after the intro finishes. Here's what the Oracle said:

June 27, 2011 - submitted by Leah, Australia

Q. Is the new song with the lyrics 'You use your heart as a weapon / and it hurts like heaven' titled MX or Hurts Like Heaven? Hurts Like Heaven was mentioned as a song title by Chris in an interview, but on broadcasts of the song live, the title has been given as MX. So, which is it? Or is MX the intro to the song?

The Oracle replies:

It's kinda the final thing you said; Hurts Like Heaven with the intro MX.