✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hurts Like Heaven studio version effects

FJK_12

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tweaked the audio on the iTunes festival recording, so here you can hear the backing track quite perfectly:

That is just awful..awful. :(

I know it's only the backing track but it makes me really worry for the studio version (and if I'm honest the whole damn album)

Oh...GOD :uhoh:

I know it's just a backing track and I'm not going to make a final call on the song without hearing the full version...but oh MAN, that's exactly what I didn't want. I hoped that MM was the extent of their messing with vocal effects. I'm not blanket against vocal effects (two of my favorite albums of all time have them on every single song), but I hate when they're thrown in just to be "cool" or "different." I think rarely are vocal effects employed so they constructively add to the song, and...I don't know what I think the odds are of them working in that way here, as I don't think they worked for them on MM.

GOD, I hope HLH doesn't get ruined like the studio version of MM did, because HLH is my favorite of all the new songs :(

At this point I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm all for progression but I don't even know who this band is anymore.

. . . huh.

I mean, good for the boys if they want to try new things and all, but I can't help but laugh after listening to the (backing) vocal effects.

Exactly to both of these posts. Coldplay and this forum are what taught me to be more open-minded about music, and since joining 5 years ago, I feel like I've become a much, MUCH more open-minded person about music. I just...don't even know what they're doing anymore, sometimes. I still like almost everything I've heard to some degree, but for reasons that have NOTHING to do with why I liked Coldplay to begin with.

Chris sounds like an alien, for God's sake :uhoh:

I still like almost everything I've heard to some degree, but for reasons that have NOTHING to do with why I liked Coldplay to begin with.

:nod:

You have to wonder who it was exactly that kept Will drugged for the past two years.

I just listened that backing track... fucking terrible.

I mean honestly what is that shit?

Hurts Like Heaven is a great song, and I was really looking forward to the studio version, but these backing tracks are terrible.

...what is this band doing anymore?

I'm now 100% convinced they just want to fit into the pop crowd and appeal to the masses more than anything being how popular autotune is today.

The studio version of Charlie Brown will be a chipmunk recording. Just watch.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm all for progression but I don't even know who this band is anymore.

I am here to prove you wrong :nod:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2l1Azm2FYA&feature=player_embedded]Sky One Drama Advert Summer 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

^ I was so encouraged by the clear vocals on that when I heard it the first time the other day and went into the upswing of the rollercoaster ride that is waiting for this record, thinking "wow, it doesn't seem like they mucked that one up like MM," but...HLH brought me a bit back down again.

Then again, who knows. I do have faith in them, but up to a point. I think the overall song will be better from what we can hear just from that live backing track, but JESUS, AUTOTUNE? :worried:

The sad thing is that a lot of artists use autotune because they aren't talented enough to sound good without its help. Chris Martin, on the other hand, has sounded perfectly fine on 4 records without using autotune. Why does he need it now? I see no other explanation other than Coldplay wanting to "fit in" with the modern scene rather than rise above it. For a band that seemed to be heading down a U2-like stardom path, they're suddenly catering to the lowest common denominator for no reason.

EXACTLY. The idea they're putting forth, at least to more "veteran" fans, is that they just want more and more people to be fans with less concern for those who may be leaving. I don't necessarily think that's what they're CONSCIOUSLY doing, especially not the four members themselves, but that seems to be the line they're coming awfully close to crossing as far as we can tell right now.

That all sounds very harsh, especially because I'm pretty confident I'll like the album in some capacity, but I just wish they weren't being quite so ambitious on the business end of things anymore. God knows they don't really *need* to, but the fat cats in offices lined with gold records wouldn't agree, and I think those guys may be increasingly having influence.