✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hurts Like Heaven studio version effects

FJK_12

As many of you are aware the studio version of Major Minus split the fanbase through the vocal filters on Chris' and Wills voice. Many preferred the live version, including myself. Well, fans of hurts like heaven who did not like the vocal effects may be in for a disappointment. In last nights iTunes festival performance the backing track to hurts like heaven (which is likely the studio version) vocal effects could clearly be heard at various point in the song. Im surprised no one has noticed this. What are your thoughts on this? In my opinion they sound really weird/bad.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtOfbjhYnSw]‪Coldplay - MX & Hurts Like Heaven (iTunes Festival 2011)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Apparent from around 1:40 onwards. 3:10 especially. (not as easy to hear on the youtube version,sorry. You just have to listen closely. It was easier to hear on the HD stream live last night)

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hurts Like Heaven is definately my favourite of the new tracks released in the LP5 era

along with Charlie Brown.Listening to Hurts like Heaven at the festivals so far I think last nights preformance of it was up there with the best.

I think the vocal filters on chris's voice sound brillant and fit in with the whole concept and theme of the album.Some fans will like it and some wont.

That said im hoping the vocal filters will be used on the studio version of Hurts Like Heaven if/when released.

In my opinion, i actually love them because they're using it to add to the feel of the song rather than to make chris' voice sound better.

It's especially noticable in the video below at 2:40 during the "how come they're out to get us? how come they're out when they don't know the facts?" part

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kJiKOkezUg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kJiKOkezUg[/ame]

You can hear them best in this version. And I happen to LOVE them. The "So cold, so cold" parts are amazing.

2:26 - 2:32

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9OE2vwwH9c]‪(HD) Coldplay Hurts like Heaven / Yellow/ In My Place Live on Rock Werchter 2011‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Hopefully they are just backing vocals.

This might be my favorite Coldplay song ever.

I had a dream about listening to the (leaked) studio version of Hurts Like Heaven, which I can now confirm will be track #1 on the next album. It didn't sound too good, just saying. I was foolish enough for not checking out the rest of the album before waking up. It was right there, I only had to click... :lol:

Now really on topic, I'm guessing it might only be parts of the song. Dunno, let's wait for 3 months to find out. It will suck a bit if it's true.

Guest howyousawtheworld

You can expect the vocals not to be exactly the same for the studio version. Those backing vocals do not sound bad at all in my opinion. They only add to the energy and poppy feel of what seems a fantastic song.

And as for Major Minus the vocal effects on that were very good. You have to experiment with vocals here and there and I'm sure the album will be no different! Sorry guys!

I'd just like to say that Rock am Ring is the best.

agreed! it's the only concert version i have :D

but i really dont hear any voice sound effects, only the echo during some parts of the iTunes Fest. but jonny's guitar was wayyyy too loud during that song. But i didnt like the sound effects during MM, it kinda ruined the song for me /: i rarely listen to it.

I just hope they'll use it SPARINGLY. Think of what they did with the line "every road is a ray of light." There's a lot of compression effect on that, and we all think that line is the coolest thing ever right? Because it's a highlight among vocals that are otherwise normal in terms of effects.

THIS.

Hurts Like heaven will be even more perfect like this!!!

That's the point. They wont use it sparingly. You can listen to the last festivals. There is a lot and a lot of effects. I like it but it will be veeeeeery misunderstanding to some people, that's why I said prepare yourself.

I heard a lot of effects on the backing vocals, but that's about it. If you listen, the backing vocals on ETIAW have a lot of effects but Chris's voice doesn't. I just hope the vocal effects don't make their voices sounds like autotuned robots. There's no intimacy in music that's produced to the point where the instruments might as well be synthesizers.