✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Portishead's Geoff Barrow: 'Coldplay's fireworks ruin festivals'

busybeeburns

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah idd

but who had this fantastic idea to put Portishead - a group with deep music, that needs quiet listening - in front of an audience that is going crazy because they will see Coldplay - the group they have been waiting for about 8 - 12 hours, with no toilet visits, without sitting down more than 10 min, no food, no drinks - in less than an hour!

They were my feelings exactly in terms of Arras. They were an inappropriate band for that (main) stage, at that particular time, immediately prior to Coldplay.

They did not generate a great atmosphere, unfortunately.

I can imagine that Portishead is good live when they play at a concert (not a festival) with an audience of fans that came to see them and really want to listen to their music.

That's fair comment. A more intimate venue, or a smaller stage would suit them IMO. I have nothing against Portishead per se.

I was just pointing out how ridiculous and inaccurate "there were no Portishead fans" is. A festival is not just for Coldplay fans just cos Coldplay is playing.

I don't think that's the point being made. I had no problem with either Elbow or Bruno Mars at Arras.

But yes, at least I think Portishead should've played in a smaller place, I don't know how Werchter works but if they could play smaller stages then that's better. And more intimate to say the least.

This, I agree with.

Portishead are a good band, and are talented musicians. Just because someone is a bit opinionated or says something about our darling Coldplay, does not mean their music is crap.

No argument there. In the right setting, I quite like some of their songs.

PJ Harvey, on the other hand............................ :dozey:

Portishead had to play in the Marquee at Werchter and PJ Harvey also

Elbow had to play just before Coldplay, Guy had the whole fest in his hands

Sounds like a much better idea. Elbow would have been the right band to have just before Coldplay, as they created a great atmosphere, not a "depressed" one.

I clearly just chose the wrong festival at the end of the day.:(

^and you're doing it again :nice:

Stating my valid opinion? Yes.:rolleyes:

If you even bothered to read the whole page, you'd see why I responded to that. Do not try to start another argument.

I'm not, and there's no need to be impolite about it.

Sounds like a much better idea. Elbow would have been the right band to have just before Coldplay, as they created a great atmosphere, not a "depressed" one.

I clearly just chose the wrong festival at the end of the day.:(

I thought that during Portishead and than that dude from the first band passed again (for tha 5 time!) and he said hi (again :awesome:) and I knew it wasn't that bad at all it was great

I have seen you talk about PJ Harvey, Gaga, Bieber, Amy Winehouse, and others infinite times so I think you've made your so called opinion known pretty well so I find no reason to keep chanting about it.

That might well be your opinion, but it doesn't interest me. If you can't accept my opinions, please ignore them. Thanks.

I didn't really talk with them there :/

I did with Bea and her sister because reconized them at the gates but I was with Nikki, Maggy and Vanessa and sometimes Noémie for most the time :P

Well I know they had a fantastic time there, quite the opposite to my experience at Arras.

oh

well but I think the festival site in Arras is much cooler

the Citadel and before in the middle of the city. that's so cool

When it was in town centre itself, I think it must have been great, but the citadel was extremely disappointing IMO.

When it was in town centre itself, I think it must have been great, but the citadel was extremely disappointing IMO.

it's to open there or what?

I remember vids from 2 year ago and I thought that it was like Marktrock but only 6 times bigger