✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Portishead's Geoff Barrow: 'Coldplay's fireworks ruin festivals'

busybeeburns

PortisheadAKW060111.jpg

Portishead's Geoff Barrow: 'Coldplay's fireworks ruin festivals'

Producer/musician also slams Bruno Mars in festival rant

Portishead's Geoff Barrow has hit out at Coldplay and the "fucking fireworks" they let off during their live appearances. Asked by Pitchfork what his least favourite thing about playing a European festival was, Barrow replied: "Playing next to Coldplay, with their water cannons or fucking fireworks or whatever the fuck it is. Come on."

Portishead played before Coldplay at Rock Werchter in Belgium earlier this month (July 2) and then occupied the same slot at Main Square Festival in Arras, France the following evening (3).

ColdplayPA160611.jpg

Barrow also singled out Bruno Mars for criticism, arguing that Portishead should not be appearing on the same bill as the 'Grenade' singer.

Barrow said: You just go, 'How the fuck did we get on the same bill as him?' And then you realise that if you're playing the same bill as those people, then it's the right festival for them and the wrong festival for you. You should move. It's not them.

Portishead are due to play at the second night of their All Tomorrow's Parties offshoot I'll Be Your Mirror tonight (July 24). Beach House, Grinderman, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Swans are among the other bands on the bill, which Portishead curated. The events are named 'I'll Be Your Mirror' after the B-side to The Velvet Underground's song from which All Tomorrow's Parties takes its name.

The festival will also take place in the US Astbury Park in New Jersey on October 1 and 2, before Portishead play a dozen dates across North America.

http://www.nme.com/news/portishead/58222

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the funny thing about portishead is that they're actually wildly mediocre and totally overrated in every sense.

do you remember that song they did? you know the one... .. it was like, it goes like '...' oh wait, everything they do is fucking awful.

the funny thing about portishead is that they're actually wildly mediocre and totally overrated in every sense.

do you remember that song they did? you know the one... .. it was like, it goes like '...' oh wait, everything they do is fucking awful.

They're a good band and more revolutionaly than Coldplay. It's difficult and it takes a little effort to like it though.

don't get so defensive tho. Portishead is a very good band, Third is an awesome album. Not every band have (and wants) to be big. Still, I don't see why he has to bash other bands/artists.

What an asshole. I was at Main Square Festival, and to be fair Portishead wouldn't have been a great loss. They were just about better than the unbelievably boring PJ Harvey, but were not as entertaining as Bruno Mars. That coming from a Coldplay/Radiohead/REM kind of music fan is saying something. Beth Gibbons, the lead singer, I think said something positive about Coldplay coming up after them, so perhaps its just him.

don't get so defensive tho. Portishead is a very good band, Third is an awesome album. Not every band have (and wants) to be big. Still, I don't see why he has to bash other bands/artists.

This. I don't know a lot about them though. Saw them at Werchter.

Well I don't really understand what's the difference for him if Coldplay uses fireworks or not ?!

By watching the streamings, you can see that the audience obviously like those fireworks : it's something you're maybe not expecting at a festival... Hating just for the sake of hating... never understood it.

What an asshole. I was at Main Square Festival, and to be fair Portishead wouldn't have been a great loss. They were just about better than the unbelievably boring PJ Harvey, but were not as entertaining as Bruno Mars. That coming from a Coldplay/Radiohead/REM kind of music fan is saying something. Beth Gibbons, the lead singer, I think said something positive about Coldplay coming up after them, so perhaps its just him.

PJ Harvey boring?

Bruno Mars entertaining?

...okay, I will resist all urge to explode at that as long as we can get back to talking about how Geoff Barrow is notorious for bashing Coldplay and similar artists. Though I can't speak for the rest of Portishead, as I don't follow them closely enough.