Portishead's Geoff Barrow: 'Coldplay's fireworks ruin festivals'

busybeeburns

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PJ Harvey boring?

Bruno Mars entertaining?

...okay, I will resist all urge to explode at that as long as we can get back to talking about how Geoff Barrow is notorious for bashing Coldplay and similar artists. Though I can't speak for the rest of Portishead, as I don't follow them closely enough.

Can you be more specific about "similar artists"? I'm just curious.

Geoff sort of responds on Twitter:

@NMEmagazine that was a shitty made up headline about me? I said WE were at the wrong festivals not them people love fireworks //

Don't know what he's really getting at, but I'll try to find some past instances of his trash talk.

This is just within the last month...Geoff's Twitter...

Mercury prize also joins in with the decline of modern British music shocker... Sounds like a radio 1 road show line up

Just found out Mumford & sons are in the same hotel... I thought I felt wrong // dirty // bad mood // like Satan...

Playing with fleet foxes going on before us!! Thats more like it!! I think that guys voice is really special in the world full of mumfords..

yeh Bruno mars was playing // that was a massive problem

So up tonight we have elbow/pj Harvey / portiswad / cold plague...in belljam

Watching big bio / didn't see cold plague / chemical bothers // what were that like?

Mumford are the magners cider of music

I'm not a huge Mumford fan either, but sheesh.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Portishead are alright. Just alright though. But Barrow seems frustrated for some reason....but with teeth like his who wouldn't be?

I understand that the fireworks are annoying when you don't like Coldplay, but it's never gonna 'ruin festivals'.

This is coming from a band that doesn't put much effort in entertaining an audience. At least at Rock Werchter they didn't, the singer even showed she was cold on stage. 30 minutes later, we had Chris Martin dripping with sweat. I know which I prefer.

Not a bad word about their music by the way.

Edit: And he didn't even watch them! He's probably just jealous. Yeah, that must be it.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I understand that the fireworks are annoying when you don't like Coldplay, but it's never gonna 'ruin festivals'.

This is coming from a band that doesn't put much effort in entertaining an audience. At least at Rock Werchter they didn't, the singer even showed she was cold on stage. 30 minutes later, we had Chris Martin dripping with sweat. I know which I prefer.

Not a bad word about their music by the way.

Portishead's music's alright but they're really shit live. Who signs them up for festivals I will never know.

the funny thing about portishead is that they're actually wildly mediocre and totally overrated in every sense.

do you remember that song they did? you know the one... .. it was like, it goes like '...' oh wait, everything they do is fucking awful.

He may be wrong but saying Portishead is mediocre is like WTF... they are fucking awesome and they still rock on stage.

the funny thing about portishead is that they're actually wildly mediocre and totally overrated in every sense.

do you remember that song they did? you know the one... .. it was like, it goes like '...' oh wait, everything they do is fucking awful.

have you EVER heard them live? they are absolutely flawless at what they do. this is not the commercial music as coldplay is , and if you are hating on the band just because they might not like coldplay, then that is absolutely childish and ridiculous.

and yeah, maybe he was just hating on how Coldplay focus on many other stuff than music which can seem a bit... poser. like their clothes, and all that visual approach and stuff, let's face it, they do pay a whole lot of attention on that, to accompany the music. musicians like Portishead are very much dedicated to music only, and that's why Geoff might be against the fireworks and stuff.