✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Portishead's Geoff Barrow: 'Coldplay's fireworks ruin festivals'

busybeeburns

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares that he doesn't like Mumford & Sons, Bruno Mars, and that he is annoyed by Coldplay's fireworks. Pretty sure that he is human and aloud to like/dislike bands. Just because you are a musician doesn't mean you have to walk around with a big smiley face and love everybody in the industry.

I get a kick out of people on here who think that anybody who says anything negative about their precious Coldplay is suddenly a dick and overrated musician jealous of Coldplay.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Not a big fan of Portishead, their best tracks a sample. Lack of melody if you ask me, which makes for alot of dull listening.

Just my personal opinion.

Interesting stuff they have but nothing I would spend money on personally.

I understand where he's coming from, but he's being a bit...elitist, I suppose, by saying that 'we were booked on the same bill as these bands, we're better than this.' Truth is, most people haven't heard of Portishead. A vast majority of the first world population would know who Bruno Mars or Coldplay are. I can't help but think, 'he should just be thankful for being on the damned festival bill'.

But I can see where he's coming from with the fireworks thing; it could be distracting. But that's the nature of a festival.

Just out of interest, I looked up his twitter, and found this:

"@jetfury Geoff Barrow

@NMEmagazine that was a shitty made up headline about me? I said WE were at the wrong festivals not them people love fireworks //"

Portishead were the headliner at the biggest festival in our country and even if it's not my cup of tea, people said they were amazing...

Most people in this thread do not know of Portishead, or have listened to their music, but bash them anyway. Heh.

yeah, exactly... some here say that they have lack of melody? just because they are completely different than coldplay don't mean they are bad... their music is really deep, dark and requires attention and focus... if someone was to hear Wandering Star and Roads live , like I was blessed a couple of weeks ago, they would be stunned. Beth Gibbons is an incredible vocalist.

Oh and ... http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/261539_10150247014093700_766313699_7177313_240871_n.jpg

(that's me on the left btw)

He sounded like he was mean spirited at first, then when I read the stuff he said about Bruno Mars it kind of confirmed it. I'm not a fan of Bruno Mars either, but to slag him off and belittle his music whilst sounding awfully smug and superior isn't a very good thing to be doing.

So yeah, I don't really care what he has to say!

OK, I think every Portishead album so far has been brilliant. And I don't care for fireworks and confetti either. However, at Werchter they played a very uninspired gig. Pointless noodling on a lot of the songs and some weird fuck-ups. The band seemed lost. But they have always been a hit-and-miss band live.

I think Geoff Barrow can say whatever he wants, but he's a big hypocrite. If he doesn't like the line-up of a festival he's playing, then there's one solution. Don't play there. But don't bite the hand that feeds you afterwards. He knew the line-ups, knew that there was always going to be fireworks and stuff, so if that really disturbs him, he should have refused the money and stayed home (or play a different festival). Now he just took the money and started whining afterwards. Diva behaviour.

Portishead are a great and revolutionary band in their own way.

Both Fleet Foxes and Mumford and Sons are fantastic, especially Mumford is one of my favourite bands.

Bruno Mars is talented I guess, but he's just a music industry whore. I don't like his music.

I didn't even see or hear the fireworks at Werchter because I was too close to the stage. Nobody needed those fireworks. They are a waste of money IMO.

Geoff is a dickhead Liam Gallagher-style. Ruins the integrity of his band. Beth Gibbons seems like a very nice person.

Just out of interest, I looked up his twitter, and found this:

"@jetfury Geoff Barrow

@NMEmagazine that was a shitty made up headline about me? I said WE were at the wrong festivals not them people love fireworks //"

Still sounds just as elitist to me. Maybe even more so.

Both Fleet Foxes and Mumford and Sons are fantastic, especially Mumford is one of my favourite bands.

Bruno Mars is talented I guess, but he's just a music industry whore. I don't like his music.

I didn't even see or hear the fireworks at Werchter because I was too close to the stage. Nobody needed those fireworks. They are a waste of money IMO.

Geoff is a dickhead Liam Gallagher-style. Ruins the integrity of his band. Beth Gibbons seems like a very nice person.

She really is. :)

Yeah, I agree with that part. :nod:

I understand where he's coming from, but he's being a bit...elitist, I suppose, by saying that 'we were booked on the same bill as these bands, we're better than this.' Truth is, most people haven't heard of Portishead. A vast majority of the first world population would know who Bruno Mars or Coldplay are. I can't help but think, 'he should just be thankful for being on the damned festival bill'.

But I can see where he's coming from with the fireworks thing; it could be distracting. But that's the nature of a festival.

Portishead have a different crowd than Coldplay and Bruno Mars, as he said, they were on the wrong bill.