✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Portishead's Geoff Barrow: 'Coldplay's fireworks ruin festivals'

busybeeburns

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact1: Portishead are better than Coldplay (Sorry, but their music it's obviously deeper and more creative, and timeless than Coldplay's)

Fact2: Fireworks are cool. (Coldplay shows would be boring without fireworks and balloons?).

Fact3: Geoff Burrows stole christmas.

Portishead have a different crowd than Coldplay and Bruno Mars, as he said, they were on the wrong bill.

I agree with this, but he should have known this before. Now it's just pointless whining by someone who made a lot of money by playing those festivals.

omg!!! This is unbelieveble! I think they are just jealous on Coldplay's success!

I was at Rock Werchter and saw Portishead from the front! They were terribly bad! (I'm sorry if there are Portisheadfans here, I respect it if you like them)

They started to play and in the beginning everyone tried to listen, but after a few song a lot of people get really pist. Everybody became bored and some people started to talk instead of listen, nobody really started to sing along, started to jump or had a poster with something for Portishead on it. Then, after a few songs (which the singer song with her back to the audience, I don't know why she did that and whether she does that often. But I did not like it because that made that there was absolutly nothing to see on the stage) two guys let their posters with "Die hard fan" see (probably made for Coldplay) and they put their hands on the word "Fan". It was mean, but funny :p (I'm sorry again Portisheadfans:embarrassed:)

Then she (the singer) said that we were "a difficult audience to play to" and she became a little bit angry/ pist off.

All the Coldplayfans in the front, who were standing there for at least 8 hours (most of them even more) to see Coldplay, became very nervous and when there was a little silent moment between 2 songs, the entire frontlines (and maybe farther away from the stage too, don't know) started to sing the "wohooo" of VLV !! and started to scream "Coldplay!" :lol:(:embarrassed:)

so anyway, I think this evening wasn't a good experience for them and definetly didn't let them like Coldplay(fans)

what a dushbag. And R42 tweeting about how good they are..

idd (I can not say that they are bad on their albums, I don't know that, but live they are crap imo)

(??!!)

he even says that they and Coldplay have the same audience and that's not true at all. Definitely not at Rock Werchter.

A live show is the whole experience, not only music.

Opinion

I understand that the fireworks are annoying when you don't like Coldplay, but it's never gonna 'ruin festivals'.

This is coming from a band that doesn't put much effort in entertaining an audience. At least at Rock Werchter they didn't, the singer even showed she was cold on stage. 30 minutes later, we had Chris Martin dripping with sweat. I know which I prefer.

Not a bad word about their music by the way.

Edit: And he didn't even watch them! He's probably just jealous. Yeah, that must be it.

and this:D

++++

Whoa. Nice 5 posts in a row :freak:

I can understand why people would rather see Coldplay perform live rather than Portishead--from what Papillon said, I would gather that they aren't particularly talented live? (I've never actually seen them live, but from all the comments on this thread I think it may be safe to assume that.)

Besides the fact that Coldplay are considered to be one of the best live acts in the world (along with Muse and another band whose name slips my mind . . .) So maybe Geoff is concerned that Coldplay is stealing their fans?

Sorry, that was off-topic :lipsrsealed2:

Why most of the times if someone says something bad about Coldplay it all comes down to jealousy? :facepalm:

I don't really think this is the case, and I completely agree with what Mathieu has said in this thread.

Whoa. Nice 5 posts in a row :freak:

I can understand why people would rather see Coldplay perform live rather than Portishead--from what Papillon said, I would gather that they aren't particularly talented live? (I've never actually seen them live, but from all the comments on this thread I think it may be safe to assume that.)

Besides the fact that Coldplay are considered to be one of the best live acts in the world (along with Muse and another band whose name slips my mind . . .) So maybe Geoff is concerned that Coldplay is stealing their fans?

Sorry, that was off-topic :lipsrsealed2:

Oh and you only read what one person said? How about my post that said that they were amazing live?

Oh and you only read what one person said? How about my post that said that they were amazing live?

I read yours also, but when Papillon mentioned the singer turning her back on the audience during one of the songs I was like what the heck?

But maybe that's just a regular part of the performance? As I said, I'm just spitballing here, and if I ever get the chance to see them live and they prove me wrong then I'll gladly edit my post :)

Why most of the times if someone says something bad about Coldplay it all comes down to jealousy? :facepalm:

I don't really think this is the case, and I completely agree with what Mathieu has said in this thread.

I don't think it's jealousy, but I honestly think that part of it could be because he worries that Coldplay might be stealing his fans. Part of it, not all of it.

I read yours also, but when Papillon mentioned the singer turning her back on the audience during one of the songs I was like what the heck?

But maybe that's just a regular part of the performance? As I said, I'm just spitballing here, and if I ever get the chance to see them live and they prove me wrong then I'll gladly edit my post :)

that doesn't mean that they are not talented ;)

that is just what they are, that's sort of...her thing. she is a very very modest and shy person...private too.but she is also very very nice and polite and believe me,she sings like an angel. of course, some might not like it, but believe me, they are very talented. ;)

no need to edit your post come on :P

that doesn't mean that they are not talented ;)

that is just what they are, that's sort of...her thing. she is a very very modest and shy person...private too.but she is also very very nice and polite and believe me,she sings like an angel. of course, some might not like it, but believe me, they are very talented. ;)

no need to edit your post come on :P

I'm sure they are very talented (man, there's a long list of bands that I need to check out :uhoh:)

Oh, well I suppose if she's that shy then I could see why she might do something like that :P Kinda reminds me of Jonny--he seems to want to keep the fact that he plays the guitar a secret despite the fact that he's doing exactly that for one of the biggest bands in the world :lol:

I suppose I could leave it as a tribute to my naivety :P (is that a word??)

I'm sure they are very talented (man, there's a long list of bands that I need to check out :uhoh:)

Oh, well I suppose if she's that shy then I could see why she might do something like that :P Kinda reminds me of Jonny--he seems to want to keep the fact that he plays the guitar a secret despite the fact that he's doing exactly that for one of the biggest bands in the world :lol:

I suppose I could leave it as a tribute to my naivety :P (is that a word??)

Yeah, Jonny is a shy one too! :)

Guest howyousawtheworld
Pahty Poopah. Sounds like he's taking a page from Liam Gallagher's code of behaviour; "I'm gonna put down every band that is more successful than me" :dozey:

I find Liam Gallagher's comments on Coldplay quite funny actually. He doesn't hold any jealousy towards them he just genuinely doesn't like them which is absolutely fine.