✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Portishead's Geoff Barrow: 'Coldplay's fireworks ruin festivals'

busybeeburns

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just pointing out how ridiculous and inaccurate "there were no Portishead fans" is. A festival is not just for Coldplay fans just cos Coldplay is playing. Also don't be selfish, because other people waited the same or more to see another band they liked. But yes, at least I think Portishead should've played in a smaller place, I don't know how Werchter works but if they could play smaller stages then that's better. And more intimate to say the least.

ow but that wasn't what I meant. I would be really pist if I were a fan of a group that played before Coldplay. It is just, Coldplay has a lot of fans and we all know that also a lot of them want to see them from the front.

When there is on the same day a group that plays metal and another one that plays pop, there is no problem to find a place because a lot of that metal fans go away when the pop group starts (like the last day on Werchter: not a lot Iron Maiden and Grinderman - fans wanted to see the Black Eyed Peas ;) ) (also on festivals with a lot of stages, there are a lot of people who leave a stage to go to another, on Werchter there are only 2 stages)

But this was not the case on the Coldplay day. And believe it or not, it is true what House said, there where almost no Portisheadfans in the front. Probably most of the portisheadfans didn't expect that they couldn't get to the front anymore at 10pm (not even at 6pm:confused:) (If I did not heard stories of peoples who went to see Coldplay in 2009, I'd probably didn't expect that neither)

Thats really regrettable..:\ I didn't want to be selfish, if I'd be sure that I could see Coldplay from the front, I would have given my place with pleasure to a Portisheadfan during Portishead:)

Werchter has a more little stage, it is big tent. They should have played there because it is really a fantastic and intimate place to play emotional, deep music. But I think Portishead is to big to play in that tent and so had to play on the main stage.

ow but that wasn't what I meant. I would be really pist if I were a fan of a group that played before Coldplay. It is just, Coldplay has a lot of fans and we all know that also a lot of them want to see them from the front.

When there is on the same day a group that plays metal and another one that plays pop, there is no problem to find a place because a lot of that metal fans go away when the pop group starts (like the last day on Werchter: not a lot Iron Maiden and Grinderman - fans wanted to see the Black Eyed Peas ;) ) (also on festivals with a lot of stages, there are a lot of people who leave a stage to go to another, on Werchter there are only 2 stages)

But this was not the case on the Coldplay day. And believe it or not, it is true what House said, there where almost no Portisheadfans in the front. Probably most of the portisheadfans didn't expect that they couldn't get to the front anymore at 10pm (not even at 6pm:confused:) (If I did not heard stories of peoples who went to see Coldplay in 2009, I'd probably didn't expect that neither)

Thats really regrettable..:\ I didn't want to be selfish, if I'd be sure that I could see Coldplay from the front, I would have given my place with pleasure to a Portisheadfan during Portishead:)

Werchter has a more little stage, it is big tent. They should have played there because it is really a fantastic and intimate place to play emotional, deep music. But I think Portishead is to big to play in that tent and so had to play on the main stage.

See that's the key thing. That's why I kinda made fun of the comment because even if there were not many Portishead fans front, of course there had to be elsewhere. I wasn't really trying to offend you but the idea and the comment just made me cringe so bad, of course I understand you all love Coldplay but it's still a bit of a stretch t call any criticism towards them as "jealousy" and say that there were absolutely no fans of any other band. Also it should be noted that Portishead fans are fairly different from CP fans. I think Geoff was a bit mean with his comment, but it's also organising issues. I think it's pretty stupid to put a band like them to the huge stage, they don't really do that and tbh I kinda agree with the firework comment, not as in ruin a festival but it's not completely necessary to have fireworks.

If you had actually watched the performance you would know that she sang facing the audience. She turned her back only in between songs. Because she's shy or not used to a grumpy bunch of Coldplay fans.

This, and the rest of you post, is bullshit.

I have to accuse Coldplay fans who think Portishead suck of being immature and narrow-minded. You don't have to like the style, but you have to show some respect (this also accounts for Geoff). Myself, I thought Portishead was beautiful, but a bit boring at Werchter (I was there), but that's just my opinion. Also, there was a nice visual show near the end of their performance.

She also did it between songs yeah, but she also sang parts of songs like that and if she turned, she did not move her body (except her mouth) during the song and mostly during a few songs, so it was sometimes hard to hear when one song ended and another started (for a person who does not know their songs). But I only said that because of this it was quite boring to look at.

I know that it was quite unrespectfull what Coldplayfans did:embarrassed: but the group who plays before the headliner should warm the audience up to go jumping and screaming. this is off cours not a reason to be so unrespectfull.. However saying that "we are not a good audience" is not that nice neither (and she said that quite in the beginning)

But hey I have never said that Portishead sucks:) Like I said, if you like Portishead then I respect that!:) It's not because I do not like their music (live!), that they make bad music.;)

See that's the key thing. That's why I kinda made fun of the comment because even if there were not many Portishead fans front, of course there had to be elsewhere. I wasn't really trying to offend you but the idea and the comment just made me cringe so bad, of course I understand you all love Coldplay but it's still a bit of a stretch t call any criticism towards them as "jealousy" and say that there were absolutely no fans of any other band. Also it should be noted that Portishead fans are fairly different from CP fans. I think Geoff was a bit mean with his comment, but it's also organising issues. I think it's pretty stupid to put a band like them to the huge stage, they don't really do that and tbh I kinda agree with the firework comment, not as in ruin a festival but it's not completely necessary to have fireworks.

yeah off course there were Portisheadfans:lol: and off course there were fans of other bands, I never said that there weren't. On a festival there are also a lot of people who do not like or even hate Coldplay! And like Editor42 said, a lot of CP fans (I think almost every CPfan :awesome: )were singing along and jumping during Elbow:lol: they were really good:)

yeah off course there were Portisheadfans:lol: and off course there were fans of other bands, I never said that there weren't. On a festival there are also a lot of people who do not like or even hate Coldplay! And like Editor42 said, a lot of CP fans (I think almost every CPfan :awesome: )were singing along and jumping during Elbow:lol: they were really good:)

Ah well yeah, CP fans are bound to like Elbow I guess, they're similar-ish. And no I didn't specifically refer to you when I made the comment about saying things like the fan thing and bands. Either way, I agree that it can be a sudden change to go from, perhaps, Bruno Mars to Portishead or PJ Harvey, both play such different music that yeah, I get why it was weird. I still think it's a matter of organising such things, and maybe at least they could've set Portishead to play a different hour of the day or just another stage.

but we all now the media

maybe it happened like this:

Interviewer: Hi Geoff, you recently played at Rock Werchter. Coldplay played there at the same evening, what do you think about their preformance?

Geoff: It was good but I prefer quiet shows, shows were only the music is important. So I didn't really liked their firework and all those stuff..

Interviewer: In Arras you played the same slot as Coldplay, did the fireworks bother your show?

Geoff: hmm yes maybe a bit, we try to create a quiet and emotional atmosphere, so fireworks aren't that helpfull :P But we do not let that put us off our stride, we just try to play as good as we can, so audience can go home with a nice feeling.

Interviewer: Thanks a lot Geoff, I'll write it down in a beautifull interview. bye

article:

"Portishead's Geoff Barrow: 'Coldplay's fireworks ruin festivals' ......."

:p probably not, but it could be :lol:

is he still saying mean thing about Coldplay?:(

I do not have twitter.. What does he say?

Me neither. But earlier in this thread someone posted some tweets from Geoff in which he ditches Mumford and Sons a lot like" Oh no we're in the same hotel as Mumford and Sons". I don't remember Coldplay being mentioned there.

EDIT: this:

This is just within the last month...Geoff's Twitter...

Mercury prize also joins in with the decline of modern British music shocker... Sounds like a radio 1 road show line up

Just found out Mumford & sons are in the same hotel... I thought I felt wrong // dirty // bad mood // like Satan...

Playing with fleet foxes going on before us!! Thats more like it!! I think that guys voice is really special in the world full of mumfords..

yeh Bruno mars was playing // that was a massive problem

So up tonight we have elbow/pj Harvey / portiswad / cold plague...in belljam

Watching big bio / didn't see cold plague / chemical bothers // what were that like?

Mumford are the magners cider of music

I'm not a huge Mumford fan either, but sheesh.

That's odd, as I remember seeing videos on YouTube of Oasis and Coldplay performing Yellow and Live Forever together. Aren't they friends? I think I read Noel and Chris are. Maybe that's what's bothering Liam.

Noel Is a friend/fan of the band, I think. There are pictures of him attending some of their gigs (I think he was spotted at the itunes fest gig as well).

There are also really old pictures (from around the ROBTTH era) of Guy with Noel, Andy and Gem in New York. I think Liam is the only one who doesn't like them.