✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What's so bad about Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall?

I really need an answer to this because I think it's one of their greatest efforts as a band.

There's a reason why they released it in time for festivals; it's tailor-made for live shows. It's four minutes worth of euphoria condensed into soaring melody and pounding rhythm. It's not written for fans to look at and admire the songcraft, it's simply to get you dancing when you see it live.

I understand that that's not what Coldplay have done in the past, and that for a lot of fans, they'll prefer the old stuff, but can we just accept that this is a brilliant live moment, even if it isn't a great recorded one?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because you can't admire one thing about it, doesn't mean you can't admire another.
True, but it kind of irked me. It would have been one thing if they [officially] released it as their second or third single, or if they just would have debuted it at the festivals (for the purposes of being a festival/concert song); but to have it be the first one out of the gate? No. In my humble opinion, Major Minus would have been the best one as their first official single. That would set the tone for the era much better than ETIAW.

I suppose another reason is that the lyrics of ETIAW sound like they were written by the boys' kids, instead of the boys themselves.

Although admittedly I DO like the last minute of ETIAW.

You'll notice that corresponds to the point when Chris essentially stops "singing".

I like it far more than In My Place. And X&Y is my favourite album. Against the grain? I don't care!
You can't fool me; considering your immense disdain for IMP, you would like the sound of flies buzzing around donkey poo better than IMP. Doesn't really say much for any potential liking of ETIAW.

True, but it kind of irked me. It would have been one thing if they [officially] released it as their second or third single, or if they just would have debuted it at the festivals (for the purposes of being a festival/concert song); but to have it be the first one out of the gate? No. In my humble opinion, Major Minus would have been the best one as their first official single. That would set the tone for the era much better than ETIAW.

I suppose another reason is that the lyrics of ETIAW sound like they were written by the boys' kids, instead of the boys themselves.

Lyrically it's not the best but this is a band that wrote "And it was all yellow".

I'm not sure I agree that a song labelled as the dark one should signal the start of the era - it's shaping up as an upbeat album, so maybe Charlie Brown should've been the first?

The last minute is fantastic though. Chris's performance reminds me of Thom Yorke on Idioteque in that its very rhythm-based.

I'm not sure I agree that a song labelled as the dark one should signal the start of the era - it's shaping up as an upbeat album, so maybe Charlie Brown should've been the first?
I'm not sure I would consider MM to be "dark", but I agree with you that CB might have been have been a good first choice instead.

The last minute is fantastic though.
Well at least we're on the same page here. :dazzled:

I like ETIAW, it's a song that makes me happy every time I listen to it. But I agree with some people here that it shouldn't have been released as the first single of Mylo Xyloto, in fact, I would like this song not to make it into the album. But I guess it will so..

It would have been one thing if they [officially] released it as their second or third single, or if they just would have debuted it at the festivals (for the purposes of being a festival/concert song); but to have it be the first one out of the gate? No. In my humble opinion, Major Minus would have been the best one as their first official single. That would set the tone for the era much better than ETIAW.

So true, and Major Minus is much better, but as we hadn't listend the new album completely yet (have we?), say that ETIAW is or isn't the song of that new era...

Guest howyousawtheworld

Don't like the start of ETIAW or some of the lyrics. I usually like escapist like lyrics but they weren't worked in well with the tune I feel. That said I've grown to really really like the last minute or so of it. It builds up momentum really well and doesn't anti climax like Speed Of Sound did throughout. My opinions of it are not as extreme as they once were. I guess I'm a sucker for the Amsterdam/Cemeteries of London Coldplay but when I take away the shock of it's poppy nature it ain't too bad in the end. But it's not great either! I always compare it to Get On Your Boots by U2, but I've quickly realised that it isn't as bad as that song. Never ever got into that song although I like the "Let me in the sound" refrain.

I really need an answer to this because I think it's one of their greatest efforts as a band.

There's a reason why they released it in time for festivals; it's tailor-made for live shows. It's four minutes worth of euphoria condensed into soaring melody and pounding rhythm. It's not written for fans to look at and admire the songcraft, it's simply to get you dancing when you see it live.

I understand that that's not what Coldplay have done in the past, and that for a lot of fans, they'll prefer the old stuff, but can we just accept that this is a brilliant live moment, even if it isn't a great recorded one?

why exactly is it one of the band's greatest efforts? because you like it? just becuase it's full of euphoria and rhythm as you say doesn't make it a good song - cuz otherwise David Guetta's songs for example would be considered praiseworthy and would be acknowledged for the effort. Coldplay is not the kind of band for dancing and whatever attitude. I have always respected their effort for lyrics and melody, which apart from Johny's guitar riff is nothing short of lazy. And for Christ's sake, they used another melody. How can that be called effort? I can't stand Rainy Day for example but to me, that song has balls and effort all around it. ETIAW is a classic pop chart song, and that is all.