✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What's so bad about Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall?

why exactly is it one of the band's greatest efforts? because you like it? just becuase it's full of euphoria and rhythm as you say doesn't make it a good song - cuz otherwise David Guetta's songs for example would be considered praiseworthy and would be acknowledged for the effort. Coldplay is not the kind of band for dancing and whatever attitude. I have always respected their effort for lyrics and melody, which apart from Johny's guitar riff is nothing short of lazy. And for Christ's sake, they used another melody. How can that be called effort? I can't stand Rainy Day for example but to me, that song has balls and effort all around it. ETIAW is a classic pop chart song, and that is all.

I quite clearly stated why I thought it was so good, and my reasoning came down to more than just "I like it".

Have they used another melody or just some chords? I've heard some people say it's a fantastic melody, but I don't think it is about the melody as much as the rhythm. Just trying to offer a new perspective here. Radiohead lost a lot of fans when they went from melody to rhythm with Kid A, and I'd hate to see the same happen to Coldplay. And similarly to Radiohead's identity, who decides Coldplay aren't a band for dancing or whatever? I can safely say I danced when I saw them live, and so did everyone around me.

As for the effort thing, I personally think the ambient intro, multi-layering of sounds towards the end of the track, drum explosion and exquisite harmonies all took more effort than say, Swallowed In The Sea. You can't compare a Coldplay song to David Guetta's big-name R&B star, autotuned mess.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really need an answer to this because I think it's one of their greatest efforts as a band.

There's a reason why they released it in time for festivals; it's tailor-made for live shows. It's four minutes worth of euphoria condensed into soaring melody and pounding rhythm. It's not written for fans to look at and admire the songcraft, it's simply to get you dancing when you see it live.

I understand that that's not what Coldplay have done in the past, and that for a lot of fans, they'll prefer the old stuff, but can we just accept that this is a brilliant live moment, even if it isn't a great recorded one?

I can see you point and I ask me always the same question when I listen to the song.

But taste is different and we have to accept it.

Nevertheless I love this song so much and it is definitely in my top 20 list.

You know, one of the things I find interesting is that I haven't seen any middle-of-the-road opinions of ETIAW. It seems that people either really love it or really hate it. I don't think any of their songs prior to this have been quite so much weighted on the "outliers".

You know, one of the things I find interesting is that I haven't seen any middle-of-the-road opinions of ETIAW. It seems that people either really love it or really hate it. I don't think any of their songs prior to this have been quite so much weighted on the "outliers".

That can only be a good thing. I'm sick to death of people calling Coldplay boring. -.-

^If ETiaW ends up on MX's tracklist, many fans will consider it the worst track off the album.

I was wondering whether the same thing is with In My Place.

Ah I see. So then you meant A Rush of Blood, right?

Can I be first? I like ETIAW, but don't love it. I feel very lonely. ;)

I listened to Every Tear today with my best pair of headphones. Wow you can really hear the bass and the kick drum! It made the song even better and yes I agree with a previous post: it´s just a super uplifting soaring track and , regardless of whether you like the song or not, I defy you not to love Jonny´s hummingbird virtuoso! :)

^I don't get that, X&Y's ETIAW?

I think, ETIAW is a little forced happy.

But I like it.

Major Minus is so much better though, I love that one.

I don´t perceive it as being forced happy. I think Every tear is actually a song about very dark bleak times and how you can triumph despite the circumstances. It´s a survival song: I find myself playing it when I am at my lowest and need to remind myself that I am strong enough to conquer this too.

• 2 months later...

I think people need to get over the 'poppyness' of this song. There comes a point where Coldplay can't fall back on what they did during Parachutes and A rush of blood to the head. Is it so terrible for a band to experiment with new sounds? A band can't do the same thing over and over again, in this case, coldplay can't keep doing the same mellow acoustic stuff they were doing before. I f a band refuses to experiment or develop, you get Nickelback, where you can layer every song they've ever done over top of one another and they all sound the same. Coldplay needs to change in order to survive in the industry.

• 2 weeks later...
I don´t perceive it as being forced happy. I think Every tear is actually a song about very dark bleak times and how you can triumph despite the circumstances. It´s a survival song: I find myself playing it when I am at my lowest and need to remind myself that I am strong enough to conquer this too.

this^.

I think people need to get over the 'poppyness' of this song. There comes a point where Coldplay can't fall back on what they did during Parachutes and A rush of blood to the head. Is it so terrible for a band to experiment with new sounds? A band can't do the same thing over and over again, in this case, coldplay can't keep doing the same mellow acoustic stuff they were doing before. I f a band refuses to experiment or develop, you get Nickelback, where you can layer every song they've ever done over top of one another and they all sound the same. Coldplay needs to change in order to survive in the industry.

this too ^. haha

• 3 weeks later...
I like it far more than In My Place. And X&Y is my favourite album. Against the grain? I don't care!

Hahaha, Ian. You will forever hate that song. It really is a terribly written song and I honestly couldn't listen to it until I saw them perform it live. It's still not my favorite, but it's a good live song.

I remember listening to ETIAW for the first time and I thought 'do I really like Coldplay?' After about a month, it grew on me. And I've recently watched Biutiful, which apparently inspired the song, and it makes much more sense now (not really sure why, but.. :smug: )

it's like our society, all wearing happy faces even if we're troubled and we start to feel like our every problem is a crisis. ETIAW is a deep song if you want it to be, and a shallow one if you don't even care to care...

• 1 month later...

Jonny's guitar solo is quite nice, but apart from that I find ETIAW rather bland and uninteresting for me. It doesn't help that the lyrics aren't that great (even considering the Coldplay does not have the most intricate and poetic of lines by far).

The repetition of words used works to better effect on Paradise, whereas here it just sounds annoying.