✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Have they lost their minds?

mark55

You missed the point though, it's not about the change, is about how they changed.

If they had changed for the better, then fine, but this is clearly a change for the worst.

You might still like it, you might even love it, but if you see where they came from, you can hardly say that this was a good change.

i love the change and others do as well. see how OPINIONS work. this whole bashing of the song is an opinion. it is not a fact that the song is bad regardless of what you believe. this whole thread is pointless because it is not constructive criticism. just one post that people with same opinions love fest of the thread creator. stop trying to turn your opinion of "its a terrible change" into a fact. it is impossible to do.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and for the last few years they've tried and made it all the more easy: think about the ever growing rate of stadium oooooohs... because oooohs are universal, anyone can sing a ooooh.

hahaha brilliant! this made my day. something tells me we're in for yet more ooooohs in their upcoming work though by this rate!

seriously though I've been a die-hard fan of theirs since the beginning and as someone said earlier if you'd told me 10 years ago this is what they'll come up some time in the future I would have never believed it for a second. lets not f***ing kid ourselves cuz we know damn well what they're capable of achieving and my irritation is caused exactly by this. and anyone saying we should get over it and get used to their interpretation of "evolution" is either clearly deluded or not in the right mental state. really pissed off

COLDPLAY always surprised me & NEVER desappointed me :) AND THANX GOD !!!

...but yes, thoses "Oooooh" are (according to me, so I could be wrong...) made for gig & stadium like VLV :heart: and I already feel that it will be AMAZING :awesome:

Waiting for MX & European Tour dates :) Until those things, I'll be dreaming of Paradise ;)

i love the change and others do as well. see how OPINIONS work. this whole bashing of the song is an opinion. it is not a fact that the song is bad regardless of what you believe. this whole thread is pointless because it is not constructive criticism. just one post that people with same opinions love fest of the thread creator. stop trying to turn your opinion of "its a terrible change" into a fact. it is impossible to do.

This whole thread is constructive. You might want to read more closely if you think this thread is pointless.

I don't see my opinion as a fact, but you know, you saying this whole thread is pointless just makes me think you see your opinion as a fact.

There is criticism, it is justified and you will have to learn to accept that.

If we didn't love this band, we wouldn't criticise. If we hated them, we would leave.

seriously though I've been a die-hard fan of theirs since the beginning and as someone said earlier if you'd told me 10 years ago this is what they'll come up some time in the future I would have never believed it for a second. lets not f***ing kid ourselves cuz we know damn well what they're capable of achieving and my irritation is caused exactly by this. and anyone saying we should get over it and get used to their interpretation of "evolution" is either clearly deluded or not in the right mental state. really pissed off

I guess I am posting from a mental institution according to you...but you summed it up in the first sentences. You could have never predicted they would end up like this, because they are great in changing in each album. You can like the change or not but this is who they are. No reason to get pissed off though: sit this one out, maybe you will like LP6. One thing is sure: no one can ever predict what that will sound like...and personally I am thankful for that

I agree pretty much with what's been said in first post, except that I don't consider "happy" Coldplay songs any worse than melancholic ones. And I don't think that musically X&Y and Viva were worse than first two albums. What you miss and call true Coldplay sound is just about the mood - dark, melancholic and sad. Viva - musically and lyrically - was a good attempt. It was rather complex, diverse, well-thought and cohesive. Production there was not so flamboyant as on recent MX songs. It was a good, decent album of high quality as every Coldplay song till now.

I guess I am posting from a mental institution according to you...but you summed bit up in the first sentences. You could have never predicted they would end up like this, because they are great in changing in each album. You can like the change or not but this is who they are. No reason to get pissed off though: sit this one out, maybe you will like LP6. One thing is sure: no one can ever predict what that will sound like...and personally I am thankful for that

haha nooooo i would never say such horrible things about my fellow coldplayers. sorry im just a bit enraged at the moment. i understand your point completely and respect your opinion. but i know i cant sit this one out because i may never come back to them and also i feel the need for them to hear our cries. not that they're going to, OBVIOUSLY, as if chris is sitting behind his laptop reading this right now (hes learnt not to give a damn anyway it seems) but the criticism received from their core fans might just have an effect

haha nooooo i would never say such horrible things about my fellow coldplayers. sorry im just a bit enraged at the moment. i understand your point completely and respect your opinion. but i know i cant sit this one out because i may never come back to them and also i feel the need for them to hear our cries. not that they're going to, OBVIOUSLY, as if chris is sitting behind his laptop reading this right now (hes learnt not to give a damn anyway it seems) but the criticism received from their core fans might just have an effect

I hope they never get influenced by fans opinions. And you´re right: I highly doubt they will read any of this anyway :)

I agree pretty much with what's been said in first post, except that I don't consider "happy" Coldplay songs any worse than melancholic ones. And I don't think that musically X&Y and Viva were worse than first two albums. What you miss and call true Coldplay sound is just about the mood - dark, melancholic and sad. Viva - musically and lyrically - was a good attempt. It was rather complex, diverse, well-thought and cohesive. Production there was not so flamboyant as on recent MX songs. It was a good, decent album of high quality as every Coldplay song till now.

Coldplay mood might have been dark, melancholy and sad but they always had a bit of happiness hidden in there (see Yellow), which I think has been showing more and more. With VLV they attempted a revolution, tentatively but with conviction. With MX, they are completely out of their shell

To everyone who is complaining about Coldplay moving in a new direction I have this to say:

I totally see where you are coming from because I prefer their older stuff as well, however, if they had never changed their music and had played the same kind of stuff forever, you would all be complaining that all of their music is the same!

People change, things change, music changes. Get over it.

As long as it sounds good, I don't care what they do (change, no change, whatever). We're not pissed because they're changing. We're pissed because this is becoming ridiculously subpar to what we know Coldplay can do. THey have plenty of capabilities, and yet THEY'RE NOT USING THEM.

The first post is great! Amen to that!

I don't know if someone already posted it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bemgqJ5U75o

Just listen to the violin solo in "Paradise"...

Do you think Dreamworks should sue? :D

Anyway...

Remember when a young and depressed Chris Martin used to sing "We never change, do we"? Well, believe it or not, Coldplay have changed. For the worst. He longed for a world where "making more friends would be easy". Wish granted. Now he hangs out with Beyonce and husband, Kanye West, Kylie Minogue and now, apparently, even Rihanna (are you kidding me?).

He said he'd always be waiting in line for the love of his life. Done. Ten years after he's married to a movie star, with two kids. Seriously, what more could you ask for? It's fair if you don't have anything to say. After all Coldplay is the most sincere band in the world. Unlike Radiohead, superstars who've been whining for years and have elevated slackness to lifestyle for no reason at all except for the sake of it (and yet they're still producing great songs, just hear the last three tracks on "King Of Limbs").

So, Coldplay have had nothing to say since "A Rush Of Blood To The Head", which is and, as it seems right now (unfortunately) will always remain their masterwork. Yes, X&Y was fine. VIVA was great, Prospekts' March even better. But now? Now we're left with wa-wa-waterfalls and para-para-paradise (lost?).

They're still unable to write completely awful tunes; as it turns out "Paradise" and ETIAW are kind of listenable, but shallow as a soup bowl (to quote Prospekt's March). Geez, even "The Nappies" is a more inspired song than that. These first two singles from MX depict the sad situation of a band that's not in touch with their feelings anymore, or even their own tastes. How could they write the soulful, beautiful "Moving To Mars" and then let it rot as a download-only C-Side?

Maybe if they weren't surrounded by corporate morons, sycophants and Yes-men who approve everything they come up with... They're not infallible. They must find someone who says "No" once in a while. It used to be Will, but apparently he's given up.

Brian Eno is partially to blame, IMO. Overproduction or plain uninspired production are some of the problems with the new tracks, and in VIVA as well. Let's take "Major Minus"... I've no problems with the vocal effects, but, for instance... where the f**k are DRUMS? I just hear goddamn "clicks"!

What are we left with?

UATW is indeed great, worthy of "Parachutes".

"Hurts Like Heaven" is fine, great guitar solos. But it's almost autoplagiarism! Come on, it sounds exactly like the third part of "42"!

"Charlie Brown" is a remake of "Life in Technicolor II", but a pop masterpiece nonetheless.

"Princess of China" sounded like the best of the bunch, so Coldplay felt the need to ruin it with Rihanna (at leat hire Beyonce, for God's sake, if you hang out together!).

So we just need to wait for the last three "full" songs of the record: "DLIBYH" (and the title doesn't bode well...), "Up in flames" and "Up with the birds".

Then, considering the band's interviews about a concise album (under 50 minutes) and the lengths of the known songs I expect "Mylo Xyloto", "M.M.I.X.", "U.F.O." and "A hopeful transmission" to be short, maybe instrumental pieces... and you know which other "singers" stuff their albums with short songs to inflate the tracklist? As I recall hip-hop artists do that... thanks Kanye, thanks Jay-Z. First Lost+, then Paradise's drumbeat and now THIS? Next live show Chris Martin will be calling the princess of China a HO.

But maybe Coldplay really haven't changed that much, inside. They're still looking for approval, they want to be loved by the audience (sadly not "their" audience, but the widest possible, with the risk of alienating everybody). They NEED approval. They want people around he world to sing or hum their songs, and for the last few years they've tried and made it all the more easy: think about the ever growing rate of stadium oooooohs... because oooohs are universal, anyone can sing a ooooh. But it has to stop. They need to stop being obsessed with pleasing every single listener in the world.

So, this is a call to arms. Coldplay need our help. They desperately need a commercial flop to get back on track. So buy the album for yourself (I know I will, the whole package) but don't buy it as a present for friends and family (I contributed 5 copies of VIVA...). :)

Seriously, let's just hope for the best. I count on "Up in flames" to restore my shaky faith.

P.S.

Is it me or the "Paradise" version on youtube doesn't have the oooohs at the end of the introduction, just before the first verse?

It's impossible to check everything here and I've just gotten home from work... but there I played Paradise to a colleague who has a young son.

Her very first reaction upon hearing the song was:

"That's from Shrek!! Go check it, it's the same!!"

She likes Coldplay, too.

She played the LRLRL CD more than me at work!

Neither her nor my boss like the new direction.

LP5 (still refuse to even type the name) will probably be a huge success.

But I agree with what has been said - it's just MADE to be sung in stadiums, I don't see any real substance or relation to my life or feelings or whatever you want to call it what made me love their other songs so much, having goosebumps, dancing like crazy or singing my lungs out to lyrics that actually mean something to me.

Another great post, thank you very much and welcome here! :nice:

sounds like they have sold out to the bass heavy wanna be hip hop drum machine bullshit that floods the radio now. come on coldplay..you are better than this. two songs out properly and 2 big misses...
Exactly this.

Make that 4 out of 4 misses for me.

ETIAW, MM, MTM and now Paradise - all do nothing to me. I don't feel any need to listen to those songs.

And I was so looking forward for it all to begin again and meeting up with some of the awesome people that I met via here at concerts. :disappointed:

I wouldn't have ever thought that I'd feel this way.

Hell, I never cry but during THP at Wembley it hit me that I'd not have experiences like that concert for a long time.

Now I don't think I'll have them again.

Yes, maybe I exaggerate now, I want to and I can, this was yet another bad day as a CP fan for me.

If we didn't love this band, we wouldn't criticise. If we hated them, we would leave.
Again, I totally agree.

It's because we like them so much that makes the disappointment so huge.

And all those comaprisons to bands that changed their sound and accusations that we wouldn't like it if their sound stayed similar:

For me, bands like Archive and Snow Patrol are perfect examples that it can work.

Archive have 8 brilliant albums and I love them all, none is the "same" but the sound AND lyrics have a consistency and "deepness" that I just miss in CP's last releases.

I :heart: this thread.

As much as I am in denial I agree with much of the first post of this thread. Coldplay's music is not as good as it has been. I've only listened to Paradise twice but I could hardly recognize Coldplay - and not in a good way. It seems too poppy and repetitive - a repetition I previously admired Coldplay for avoiding. The chord progression doesn't give me the excitement that Coldplay's chords usually do at all. I don't want to judge the whole album by that so I'll leave it at that for now.

I am torn, though, so I will try not to take it all too seriously. This isn't life or death. It's one album. Sure, they will probably not make as good music as they have previously but one could hope that this is just an unfortunate one.

I will not write myself off the fanlist and I will try not to get too carried away with all you "giving up" on Coldplay now. Relax and let's see what happens. The thought of not being a Coldplay fan breaks my heart, so I will personally not let it happen over an unheard album and a bad single.

As much as I am in denial I agree with much of the first post of this thread. Coldplay's music is not as good as it has been. I've only listened to Paradise twice but I could hardly recognize Coldplay - and not in a good way. It seems too poppy and repetitive - a repetition I previously admired Coldplay for avoiding. The chord progressing doesn't give me the excitement that Coldplay's chords usually do at all. I don't want to judge the whole album by that so I'll leave it at that for now.

I am torn, though, so I will try not to take it all too seriously. This isn't life or death. It's one album. Sure, they will probably not make as good music as they have previously but one could hope that this is just an unfortunate one.

I will not write myself off the fanlist and I will try not to get too carried away with all you "giving up" on Coldplay now. Relax and let's see what happens. The thought of not being a Coldplay fan breaks my heart, so I will personally not let it happen over an unheard album and a bad single.

I agree with this and the OP. Wasn't enthusiastic when I first heard the song, and still am not, as I listen to it right now. I'm not gonna throw Coldplay under the bus for this but it is looking grim.

I love how the thread creator articulated a good post instead of the typical kind of posts you can read in the "I LOVE COLDPLAY THREADS"

MY DREAMS ARE ANSWERED! so good

COLDPLAY IS THE BEST BAND and they simply make my days

Yes this song disarms me and does not allow me to criticize it hehe It´s like when you are in love: you don´t see any faults because your heart is soaring

etc. (real stuff posted)

it's just MADE to be sung in stadiums, I don't see any real substance or relation to my life or feelings or whatever you want to call it what made me love their other songs so much, having goosebumps, dancing like crazy or singing my lungs out to lyrics that actually mean something to me.

Exactly this.

Make that 4 out of 4 misses for me.

ETIAW, MM, MTM and now Paradise - all do nothing to me. I don't feel any need to listen to those songs.

Again, I totally agree.

It's because we like them so much that makes the disappointment so huge.

And all those comaprisons to bands that changed their sound and accusations that we wouldn't like it if their sound stayed similar:

For me, bands like Archive and Snow Patrol are perfect examples that it can work.

Archive have 8 brilliant albums and I love them all, none is the "same" but the sound AND lyrics have a consistency and "deepness" that I just miss in CP's last releases.

I :heart: this thread.

I welcome any civilized post. They are sorely needed today! :)

I highly doubt Paradise was made with the sole criteria of being sung in stadiums (that can be said of Viva too as well then). Obviously we all speculate, but I think they just write what they like to write at the moment, regardless of where it is played. That said, I can not wait to sing this in the stadium, together with all their other songs which sound great live :)

As for your feelings about all the new songs. I am sorry to hear you feel this way. I can imagine it must be disappointing. I could not be further from your perspective as the MX material has spoken to me in such a strong way, musically and lyrically, more than any other album they made (and that is unexpected as I just resonated greatly with VLV).

But alas subjectivity :) I hope we can both agree that Coldplay keeps changing and that is a brave move, bound to split audiences though, especially long-time fans

I love how the thread creator articulated a good post instead of the typical kind of posts you can read in the "I LOVE COLDPLAY THREADS"

etc. (real stuff posted)

Ok wow I guess being overwhelmed by emotion is not as valid or acceptable as articulating one´s thoughts in a logical way? I beg to differ. Music IS emotions and I think I explained myself very well when I said the song was overwhelmingly moving for me when I heard it. No matter how well it is articulated, emotions are the reason people like or dislike songs. Period. May I add: it´s easier to criticize logically than it is to praise logically :)

This post should be on the coldplaying first page, so the boys could read it and perhaps think about all this mess they are doing now. It looks like Eno doesn't give a shit about boys, he just drops some lame ideas which boys took too serious. At least it looks like that. Or perhaps they lost their mojo.