✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Have they lost their minds?

mark55

not every song sounds like Para & ETIAW, i'm sure.. i hope we'll hear the best songs (7 never heard) from 24 Oct, obviously without listening the new ones on the next live shows .. then i'll explain my judgement and opinions about the whole new album.. do it now may be useless..

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never written in this forum, but just read all of your comments and now I need to write something. I can understand your disappoiment watchin' your favorite band turnin' into something you don't like, it's sad because you'd really like to love what they're doing. But I think that you're just overreacting, I mean you're talkin' about regression,why? they started playing the music they liked and kept on trying not to repeating themselves and not always doing another Parachutes or AROBTTH. They decided to take this path, trying to create music that is not in their "DNA" and doing it in a good way, not everyone might like it but at least it's something new and fresh.Just for this, as a coldplay fan,you should be proud of them. I know you may not like this new era, but you should appreciate their effort to do different things, even if it's pop music and it's not so "Coldplay style".

Plus, I don't get why people are embarrassed saying they like/liked Coldplay, they're one of the greatest band in the world and make good music, I'm always so proud to say I'm a fan!

I think I would appreciate their efforts more if some of the songs weren't so shit. (ETIAW and Paradise, that means you.)

Listening to Paradise, I'm waiting to hear that cringe-inducing yelp of Timbaland in the background....

I have been a fan ever since I saw them perform "Yellow" on TV ages ago. I can recall thinking, "Who is this?" and started to become a fan of theirs after that point...

It wasn't really until A Rush of Blood to the Head came out though, and I listened to the album and instantly said, "WOW" to myself. It completely blew me away. After that point I fell head over heels in love with Coldplay. I honestly think AROBTTH is one of the greatest rock albums of all time, and it made me fall in love with Parachutes so much more. I remember that summer very fondly, finally falling in love with a band that was all "mine" and not the Beatles or another band that had disbanded decades ago that I would never see live...

As soon as I heard the buzzy synth bass and electronic snare on Paradise today I was like, "Oh Jesus". I gave it a shot and listened to it a few times through, soaking in it's repetitive chords over and over again.

I think if you showed this song to the guys back in their Parachutes/AROBTTH era and told them they were going to write this a decade later, they would have laughed at you and said they're not trying to be the Backstreet Boys.

THIS IS WHAT COLDPLAY SOUNDS LIKE NOW?

I realize not all their songs are going to sound like this -- the other new stuff they released so far is ok. Not anywhere near as good as their early days, but still ok. This Paradise song makes Every Tear Drop A Waterfall seem like "I Am the Walrus" in comparison to how generic this is. Funny how "Moving to Mars", their most "classic Coldplay" sounding song out of the 3, didn't make the cut .

I've pretty much given up on Coldplay. Have they lost their minds?

They're always going to have a special place in my heart, but ... they've let all their original, longstanding fans down.

And what's with all the people saying, "Oh stop hatin, this song is a 10/10", trying to defend it and make us look like fools. You do realize they were an amazing, deep organic sounding band before you discovered them last year on your NOW THIS IS WHAT I CALL MUSIC VOL 245 cd, right? That we have been listening to their beautiful melodies for years now and this simply does not hold up whatsoever to classics like, "Everything is Not Lost", "Amsterdam", "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face", "Spies", "Clocks", "Trouble" and so on.

Someone in a previous post said they have regressed in songwriting, using Amsterdam as a comparison (I 100% agree) and someone said, "No, they just changed their sound" and to get over it. You're trying to tell us that a song like Amsterdam with that mind-blowing ending and lush, deep dark piano chords that are cleverly written, is not a MILLION miles above this repetitive tween crap?

It's just average for a pop song anyway; it's no man's land in terms of its appeal. If I didn't know them and I heard it on the radio, I would just change the channel. It makes me sad to say that, because I've never done that to a Coldplay song before.

I would kill to go back to the days of X&Y. Everyone made fun of that album but it still was Coldplay and organic. It's strange because I love Eno but he somehow totally destroyed this band's sound and essence. Viva La Vida had some cool parts in it and some lovely songs but it felt cold, soulless and overcompressed and overproduced. Coldplay's music used to remind me of laidback foggy mornings in the countryside. Now they remind me of Glee marathons or music that should be played during an ABC Family montage.

And yes -- I KNOW bands change their sound and grow. I grew up with Radiohead too. This is not growth. This is regression, like the other person said. This is not better. Coldplay opened up a whole new world with me when I learned their early songs on guitar and all their unique chord progression and endless weird tunings. I got all their chord books and was blown away by how clever and original their songwriting was. I bought the Viva La Vida songbook and all the chords stared becoming predictable, no alternate tunings, and it's come to a full stop now. The majority of their new songs lack any of that slightly dark, mellow, humble beauty that the old Coldplay songs had.

I've always felt that Coldplay has done a horrible job of looking at themselves as a band, objectively & subjectively. Their B-sides like Animals, Murder, I Ran Away, 3.16, One I Love, Ladder to the Sun, Help is Round the Corner, Poor Me, Gravity, How You See the World, etc were all absolutely BRILLIANT and should have been included on their respectable albums. I feel like these songs got cut because they probably felt like they were too "outside the box". Which they aren't at all. But I felt like they knew the labels/mainstream wouldn't like them as much and cut them off. I always try to show people the Coldplay b-sides because it shows a cooler, darker vibe from them. I feel like if they had showed off more of these types of songs, it would have given them more of a mainstream-Radiohead-esque type of approachability and charm...instead of always choosing the most poppy, predictable songs to make the ends of their album cuts (a la "The Hardest Part")... they just come off like they're always trying too hard to please everyone.

On top of that they let the negative criticism get to them too much after X&Y. They got so popular people started belittling them (NY Times article calling them "most insufferable band ever") and then Chris Martin said "We won't be seeing you around for a while" at that awards show, with his tail tucked between his legs. He should have told them all to fuck off and stuck to his guns. I remember reading interviews of them after that point, talking how they were embarrassed and didn't know what to do with themselves... and then they hired Eno. Rest is history.

Funny how they were embarrassed after X&Y, but aren't embarrassed to wear these silly matching outfits with the cheap-looking decals ironed onto their clothes, looking like a poor man's version of Sgt. Pepper, singing trite songs like Paradise. What happened to the UK blokes that wore jeans and just cared about making beautiful music? Oh yeah, I forgot, they got money. That's not to say being rich makes you a bad musician, however as we've seen throughout history over and over again, a lot of times the passion/originality is never the same.

Well that's my rant and I could give two shits if you don't like it. But I'm sorry, Coldplay are a joke of what they used to be, and what their potential during their early days had been. You see bands like Radiohead, who write music the way they want to, no apologies, and the fans flock in droves...Coldplay could have had that, but instead they sold out for Top 40 collaborations with Rihanna (are you serious?)

And finally, let me add, I don't mind pop music. I love synths and certain electronica music and sounds, and i'm not really against Coldplay meshing that in. I loved the drum synth playing underneath Chris Martin's piano chords during Animals. It sounded unique, classy. This just sounds vacuous and generic, and the chords are boring. You can write pop music and still be original, avant garde, new. Coldplay have never been the best lyricists, but at least they had great song structures and melodies. Now they have none of that. Even as vague as some of their early lyrics were, it still had a symbolic prettiness to it. Their lyrics are getting cheesy here.

I used to have a few friends that loved Coldplay in highschool along with me... now most are too embarrassed to even admit they used to like them. I'm always the one defending Coldplay from those who call them boring, whiny, etc but now it's at a point where I don't even know how to defend this anymore....

I know this'll never happen but they should just get back to the basics.

Mark

tumblr_lq5h4eQ4r81qkcjk2.jpg

I think I would appreciate their efforts more if some of the songs weren't so shit. (ETIAW and Paradise, that means you.)

well, it's a matter of taste. Someone says both are shit, others ETIAW is better than Paradise, others again say Paradise is better than ETIAW or that both are good songs. In my opinion they're not bad, I really enjoy listening to ETIAW because in someway I feel alive and full of energy, I need just more time for Paradise bacause I don't like some parts of it.

In general I think all the other songs we listened at festivals are much better than Paradise and ETIAW.

"Princess of China" sounded like the best of the bunch, so Coldplay felt the need to ruin it with Rihanna (at leat hire Beyonce, for God's sake, if you hang out together!).

I totally agree with you, even if the Oracle said it's better with Rihanna's voice in it. I've never consider edRihanna a good singer/artist and now I find her in Mylo Xyloto, that's insane! I could expect this from Chris, because he has a very varied music tastes, but Will? Jonny? Guy? did they all agree???? I've always defended them, but about this collaboration with Rihanna I can't find any excuse, they could find a much better singer who fitted the song with her voice.

Guest Osaka Sun

Pope Cat!

Anyways, great thread. And remember there's a difference between mainstream and over-commercialization. One can be "mainstream" and still not sound generic. It seems that the band has begun to swing towards that, unfortunately.

To everyone who is complaining about Coldplay moving in a new direction I have this to say:

I totally see where you are coming from because I prefer their older stuff as well, however, if they had never changed their music and had played the same kind of stuff forever, you would all be complaining that all of their music is the same!

People change, things change, music changes. Get over it.

First Lost+, then Paradise's drumbeat and now THIS? Next live show Chris Martin will be calling the princess of China a HO.

A little bit exaggerated, but I think if they continue like this, I wouldn't even be surprised anymore at some point. :P

And cheers to the thread creator!

To everyone who is complaining about Coldplay moving in a new direction I have this to say:

I totally see where you are coming from because I prefer their older stuff as well, however, if they had never changed their music and had played the same kind of stuff forever, you would all be complaining that all of their music is the same!

You missed the point though, it's not about the change, is about how they changed.

If they had changed for the better, then fine, but this is clearly a change for the worst.

You might still like it, you might even love it, but if you see where they came from, you can hardly say that this was a good change.

Listening to Paradise, I'm waiting to hear that cringe-inducing yelp of Timbaland in the background....

I have been a fan ever since I saw them perform "Yellow" on TV ages ago. I can recall thinking, "Who is this?" and started to become a fan of theirs after that point...

It wasn't really until A Rush of Blood to the Head came out though, and I listened to the album and instantly said, "WOW" to myself. It completely blew me away. After that point I fell head over heels in love with Coldplay. I honestly think AROBTTH is one of the greatest rock albums of all time, and it made me fall in love with Parachutes so much more. I remember that summer very fondly, finally falling in love with a band that was all "mine" and not the Beatles or another band that had disbanded decades ago that I would never see live...

As soon as I heard the buzzy synth bass and electronic snare on Paradise today I was like, "Oh Jesus". I gave it a shot and listened to it a few times through, soaking in it's repetitive chords over and over again.

I think if you showed this song to the guys back in their Parachutes/AROBTTH era and told them they were going to write this a decade later, they would have laughed at you and said they're not trying to be the Backstreet Boys.

I realize not all their songs are going to sound like this -- the other new stuff they released so far is ok. Not anywhere near as good as their early days, but still ok. This Paradise song makes Every Tear Drop A Waterfall seem like "I Am the Walrus" in comparison to how generic this is. Funny how "Moving to Mars", their most "classic Coldplay" sounding song out of the 3, didn't make the cut .

They're always going to have a special place in my heart, but ... they've let all their original, longstanding fans down.

And what's with all the people saying, "Oh stop hatin, this song is a 10/10", trying to defend it and make us look like fools. You do realize they were an amazing, deep organic sounding band before you discovered them last year on your NOW THIS IS WHAT I CALL MUSIC VOL 245 cd, right? That we have been listening to their beautiful melodies for years now and this simply does not hold up whatsoever to classics like, "Everything is Not Lost", "Amsterdam", "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face", "Spies", "Clocks", "Trouble" and so on.

Someone in a previous post said they have regressed in songwriting, using Amsterdam as a comparison (I 100% agree) and someone said, "No, they just changed their sound" and to get over it. You're trying to tell us that a song like Amsterdam with that mind-blowing ending and lush, deep dark piano chords that are cleverly written, is not a MILLION miles above this repetitive tween crap?

It's just average for a pop song anyway; it's no man's land in terms of its appeal. If I didn't know them and I heard it on the radio, I would just change the channel. It makes me sad to say that, because I've never done that to a Coldplay song before.

I would kill to go back to the days of X&Y. Everyone made fun of that album but it still was Coldplay and organic. It's strange because I love Eno but he somehow totally destroyed this band's sound and essence. Viva La Vida had some cool parts in it and some lovely songs but it felt cold, soulless and overcompressed and overproduced. Coldplay's music used to remind me of laidback foggy mornings in the countryside. Now they remind me of Glee marathons or music that should be played during an ABC Family montage.

And yes -- I KNOW bands change their sound and grow. I grew up with Radiohead too. This is not growth. This is regression, like the other person said. This is not better. Coldplay opened up a whole new world with me when I learned their early songs on guitar and all their unique chord progression and endless weird tunings. I got all their chord books and was blown away by how clever and original their songwriting was. I bought the Viva La Vida songbook and all the chords stared becoming predictable, no alternate tunings, and it's come to a full stop now. The majority of their new songs lack any of that slightly dark, mellow, humble beauty that the old Coldplay songs had.

I've always felt that Coldplay has done a horrible job of looking at themselves as a band, objectively & subjectively. Their B-sides like Animals, Murder, I Ran Away, 3.16, One I Love, Ladder to the Sun, Help is Round the Corner, Poor Me, Gravity, How You See the World, etc were all absolutely BRILLIANT and should have been included on their respectable albums. I feel like these songs got cut because they probably felt like they were too "outside the box". Which they aren't at all. But I felt like they knew the labels/mainstream wouldn't like them as much and cut them off. I always try to show people the Coldplay b-sides because it shows a cooler, darker vibe from them. I feel like if they had showed off more of these types of songs, it would have given them more of a mainstream-Radiohead-esque type of approachability and charm...instead of always choosing the most poppy, predictable songs to make the ends of their album cuts (a la "The Hardest Part")... they just come off like they're always trying too hard to please everyone.

On top of that they let the negative criticism get to them too much after X&Y. They got so popular people started belittling them (NY Times article calling them "most insufferable band ever") and then Chris Martin said "We won't be seeing you around for a while" at that awards show, with his tail tucked between his legs. He should have told them all to fuck off and stuck to his guns. I remember reading interviews of them after that point, talking how they were embarrassed and didn't know what to do with themselves... and then they hired Eno. Rest is history.

Funny how they were embarrassed after X&Y, but aren't embarrassed to wear these silly matching outfits with the cheap-looking decals ironed onto their clothes, looking like a poor man's version of Sgt. Pepper, singing trite songs like Paradise. What happened to the UK blokes that wore jeans and just cared about making beautiful music? Oh yeah, I forgot, they got money. That's not to say being rich makes you a bad musician, however as we've seen throughout history over and over again, a lot of times the passion/originality is never the same.

Well that's my rant and I could give two shits if you don't like it. But I'm sorry, Coldplay are a joke of what they used to be, and what their potential during their early days had been. You see bands like Radiohead, who write music the way they want to, no apologies, and the fans flock in droves...Coldplay could have had that, but instead they sold out for Top 40 collaborations with Rihanna (are you serious?)

And finally, let me add, I don't mind pop music. I love synths and certain electronica music and sounds, and i'm not really against Coldplay meshing that in. I loved the drum synth playing underneath Chris Martin's piano chords during Animals. It sounded unique, classy. This just sounds vacuous and generic, and the chords are boring. You can write pop music and still be original, avant garde, new. Coldplay have never been the best lyricists, but at least they had great song structures and melodies. Now they have none of that. Even as vague as some of their early lyrics were, it still had a symbolic prettiness to it. Their lyrics are getting cheesy here.

I used to have a few friends that loved Coldplay in highschool along with me... now most are too embarrassed to even admit they used to like them. I'm always the one defending Coldplay from those who call them boring, whiny, etc but now it's at a point where I don't even know how to defend this anymore....

Mark

Post of the year.

I agree with everything you said. It's a huge disappointment, and you pretty much summed up my thoughts on the band.

Guest Osaka Sun

We're not complaining about change, but the way they are doing it.

Viva la Vida was a drastic change from their original sound, and it's still well-regarded by most (?) Coldplayers.

Whether it is a good change or not is a matter of opinion. That's not to say that I love the new stuff and will defend it to the ends of the earth; I still like the first two albums the best. But I also think that it's pretty immature for people to see Coldplay's new direction as personal attack against their fans. They can't tailor their music to what a handful of fans want to hear, they are going to write what they want to write and there's not much we can do about it.

Whether it is a good change or not is a matter of opinion. That's not to say that I love the new stuff and will defend it to the ends of the earth; I still like the first two albums the best. But I also think that it's pretty immature for people to see Coldplay's new direction as personal attack against their fans. They can't tailor their music to what a handful of fans want to hear, they are going to write what they want to write and there's not much we can do about it.

I never said it was a personal attack and I don't think anyone else did.

It's just to say that no one here is opposed to change, but of course this kind of change is going to attract a lot of criticism, and not only from a handful of fans.

They seem to be losing a majority of the fans that have stayed with them through thick and thin and supported them all the way through. How can that be a positive change?

Sure, they're gonna make a lot of new fans with this kind of music. But are those fans ever going to give them the same kind of satisfaction that the "older" fans did? Are they ever going to start a postcards from far away project or are they just going to stay in front row holding a sign saying "CHRIS I WANT YOUR BABY!".

I know this is a little exaggerated, but think about it, the fanbase will change drastically if they continue like this and if they haven't lost everything that makes them Coldplay yet, they will notice the change and I don't think they will like it much.

Sure, they're gonna make a lot of new fans with this kind of music. But are those fans ever going to give them the same kind of satisfaction that the "older" fans did? Are they ever going to start a postcards from far away project or are they just going to stay in front row holding a sign saying "CHRIS I WANT YOUR BABY!".

man_crying_3.jpg

Wow, that almost brought me to tears. You're completely right. It's a sad situation right now. :(

I never said it was a personal attack and I don't think anyone else did.

It's just to say that no one here is opposed to change, but of course this kind of change is going to attract a lot of criticism, and not only from a handful of fans.

They seem to be losing a majority of the fans that have stayed with them through thick and thin and supported them all the way through. How can that be a positive change?

I know this is a little exaggerated, but think about it, the fanbase will change drastically if they continue like this and if they haven't lost everything that makes them Coldplay yet, they will notice the change and I don't think they will like it much.

:kiss:

I agree with 95% of what you said.

I think that the band have lost their touch a bit when it comes to some new songs,and I just don't believe that this is the music they make for themselves. I guess that Paradise was written after ETIAW was released, honestly. Because they wanted a #1 hit with ETIAW and since that kinda failed, they tried to make another one,more commercial song. This is of course my opinion and please don't hate on me or anybody else because of it.

Welcome aboard man.

We're not complaining about change, but the way they are doing it.

Viva la Vida was a drastic change from their original sound, and it's still well-regarded by most (?) Coldplayers.

I agree. Viva la Vida was a drastic change from their usual style, and I consider it one of my favorite albums ever. With the singles that have come out so far, Mylo Xyloto is an example of a change for the worse.

Mark

I still agree with you..

for me the OLD coldplay is for me the music of my life, but the left when I heard Paradise. I will the old Coldplay back!!

now I feel like i'm back from a party, and my house is still and empty...

Coldplay is dead,

Long live Coldplay

biggest load of shit, I have ever seen on this forum. Disrespectful and out of order to a band that has probably given you great songs and memories. I don't care that you don't like Paradise but that is ridiculous and to everyone else saying R.I.P. Shut up and get over. Remember Coldplay owes nobody anything

"Have they lost their minds?"

WTF is this SHIT TITLE ??? :shocked2: Have YOU lost your mind ?! --"

I'm gonna leave, cause I'm gonna be REALLY SAD because of you... :confused:

Anyway, have all a good evening (mine will be PERFECT while listening to PARADISE :heart:),

Regards.