✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Have they lost their minds?

mark55

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it's ok that you like only that albums, but I also think that this forum was made for fans of Coldplay and the fans don't attack, the fans give support! :) That's my opinion

True fans criticize to make the band somehow better, we give our opinion in the new matetrial because knowing Coldplay for so long, we know that they can do way better than that. For example, try to compare the magic of Clocks to Paradise, or the brilliance and energy of Yellow to ETIAW.... it's impossible!! Coldplay has done way better than this and they still can do it (ex. Spanish Rain, Moving to Mars and Christmas Lights)

Coldplay has been my favorite band for a long, long time. And I can still see very small glimpses of them in paradise, but covered up by attempts to appeal to teenagers and be a radio hit. It makes me sad. I don't want Coldplay to turn into a band i used to like because they went after biggest band in the world instead of best band in the world.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Even Kesha has talent, but you wouldn't know it based off everything she puts out there. It's an exaggeration, but I dont want that to happen to Coldplay. They're better than that... At least I hope.

I overheard someone compare the sound of Paradise to that of Neon Bible as an album today.

I almost lost my lunch.

:stunned: You can't be serious.

Even with "Neon Bible" being my least favorite AF album, it's miles better than "Paradise."

I was listening to Parachutes the other day and It made me feel sad :disappointed: I do feel very upset about this.. I don't even know who they are anymore :sad:

I had Coldplay on shuffle the other day. When it went to "Gravity," I almost started crying. It was bad. :sad:

Prepare for a big, long Chelsea post :lol:

I have to say that I generally agree with pretty much everything the original poster said. I haven't hidden the fact on the forum that even though I might actually enjoy all of the songs to some extent (besides Paradise, which just makes me shake my head and wonder who the hell they are), I don't really like anything they've done lately for any of the reasons that I originally fell in love with Coldplay. That's the part that really makes me sad, because most other bands I like that have been around for just as long as Coldplay have certainly grown and changed like Coldplay has, but has retained some sort of thread of sonic similarity and maintained the same goals and outlook throughout the years. I don't feel the same is true with Coldplay anymore, but that's just my opinion. To be honest, I started to feel this way back in 2008 with VLV, even though I think that's a great, solid album. I just started to feel their shift then, and I guess in that sense, I'm not at all surprised by what's happening now.

This is the thing, though. I definitely get fed up of people expressing their opinions in either direction like they're definitively exactly what's going on. The only thing we all know is that they're changing--beyond that, it's all opinions. I'm just as guilty of this as everyone else, but in the end, we don't know their motives for doing what they're doing. I have my suspicions that the band is letting the people who really rely on them to make money have a big part in the decision-making, but who knows? We can't really say what "them" is. A huge change in direction doesn't necessarily mean they've lost themselves. What it comes down to is that for whatever reason, I'm not a big supporter of the change in direction, not because it's change, but because I don't like the particular direction. A good example of this is X&Y--I find that album to be pretty different than the first two, but I still love it because I so happened to like that direction (and it also seemed to fit my opinion of what "Coldplay" is, whereas VLV didn't as much, and the sounds of MX really don't). I certainly don't think we should box an artist, and I think some of us are. But I also think we're within our rights to want certain things from them, whether or not we receive them.

I wasn't around for the AROBTTH release, but this is definitely true. It all comes down to personal taste, in the end. It's just that this time around, I find it interesting that so many fans are feeling the same way--with other eras, there were certainly a few that gave up and left, some eras more than others, but this time it seems to be more of a mass exodus, or at least a very large group of people that are on the verge of giving up if the album turns out in a certain way and if the band does certain things. This is what interests me--I don't think any band wants this to happen, for such huge sections of their fanbase to be dissatisfied to the point of giving up, even if they are gaining new fans from other places. Given the types of new fans they seem to be aiming for, they should realize that the way the industry is and the theories on what this up-and-coming generation is like these days, it's much harder to hold fans' attention and keep them for the long run. This isn't to say that they should create music just to keep us all happy, because they don't owe us a thing. But it's an interesting, risky choice, I think. The bottom line is that I don't think it's about the band making the same record over and over, because we'd be whining just as much about that. Personally, I think it's about striking a balance between change and progression while still carrying on with the original things you set out to do and be.

You, m'lady, are awesome. :clap:

Another first time poster here... I've been tempted to do it several times in the past few weeks but.. I don't know.. I think this has been too much, even for such a shy person like me.

I love the way mark has expressed how I feel in this moment and I publicly declare myself a HUGE fan of Chelsea's long posts (not only this one but almost all of them). I have no idea how to quote but I totally agree with what you've said about the teen public they seem to be aiming to and I also think they're going to lose more than what they're going to win (in fans terms, not in sales, etc.).

Gravity!!! Violet, don't make me cry :(

(Not so bad for a first post, eh?? ;))

You guys are so nice :wacky:. I'm surprised anyone even reads my long posts. I really, really need to learn how to be concise :P.

:stunned: You can't be serious.

Even with "Neon Bible" being my least favorite AF album, it's miles better than "Paradise."

I actually think "Major Minus" sounds incredibly like "Intervention," but no one else has agreed with me on that one yet...:uhoh:

Major Minus has that echo-y large sound to it, sure. That sound that they established on NB is a contributing factor in making it my all-time favorite album. :)

MM isn't that bad though. For all I know, Paradise/ETIAW could be the only two fuck ups. The other material isn't THAT bad, it's just nowhere near what was established in their first four. :bomb:

I know bands change, but, how can you go from this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb_7C1vMpRQ&feature=related]Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head (Live 2003) - YouTube[/ame]

or this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L_bEyRYu-Q&feature=related]Coldplay - Warning Sign (Live in Sydney 2003) - YouTube[/ame]

... to Paradise?

How can anyone with good taste in music say they're "evolving", with a straight face?

Whenever I'm unsure about whether I like the direction the band are going in, I just listen to this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7nqDIvBkuM]God Put A Smile Upon Your Face - Live @ Rock Am Ring[/ame]

Most genius version of GPASUYF, I mean look at Johnny rockin' :D

This reminds me that they still have some creative goodies in them :lol:

I believe the fact that Coldplay can write songs like Amsterdam and Paradise at the same time is mind-blowing and proof that they have a lot of talent. They choose what direction they want to take and artistically they can go anywhere, across any genre.

TOTALLY AGREE! :clap:

They're making musical experiences. Only the talented bands can make that without losing quality. I want to know all they can do. :wacky:

Guest howyousawtheworld
Coldplay - God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (Live 2003) - YouTube[/url]

Err no way is that as good as the current live version.

I know bands change, but, how can you go from this...

Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head (Live 2003) - YouTube

or this...

... to Paradise?

How can anyone with good taste in music say they're "evolving", with a straight face?

Thank you for the time of depression!

I go to bed ... :bigcry:

// (and I realise that the new song corresponds to me now)

She expected the world

But it flew away from her reach

So she ran away in her sleep

And dreamed of para- para- paradise

Para- para- paradise

Actually, I'm not that much into their sound, and their lyrics are all that matters for me. I see many people saying the same as you like "what happened to the old Coldplay?" but for me, the songs from the new album sound good. Or maybe my ears don't recognize good and bad melodies? I don't know, but what I do know, is that I still love all Coldplay's songs and always will <3