✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Let's just calm down...

CartoonHeart42

Old fan here since 2000 and to me they became mainstream with VLV, the friggin' butterflies and the stupid uniforms.

In my opinion (notice that it's my own opinion and I'm free to express it) they just aim to be the biggest band in the world and reach younger audience with meaningless pop-ish songs. I'm pretty sure that even if the songs aren't even good, they'll be all number 1 and the radio will play them all the time cos it's Coldplay™.

They're not the same band I used to love and supported for over a decade. Musically and lyrically are not that good anymore but they can still get away with it cos they're Coldplay™. How I wish they could record more simple and real songs with at least some lyrics I can relate to but I don't see that coming anytime soon if they keep overproducing albums and trying to "take over the world".

Rena rena rrrrrrrrenato :awesome:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only became a fan like winter 2009 when I heard Yellow and Clocks and thought they were cool then bought Parachutes and X&Y and loved them. Parachutes is my favourite but I'm not exactly an old fan from the beginning, I just really loved the whole thing and it gave me shivers like no other music I's ever heard before and there are songs up until X&Y that have that effect on me and maybe one or two from viva era. This new stuff just doesn't have that effect on me and it does really disappoint me because I've seen what music they can make but they're deciding to be like so many other bands out there.

Okay. This is getting too much.

We're not haters. We're criticisers. There is a vast difference. I like how we voice our slightly critical views and we get tabbed as hating. How many posts have you directly seen that someone has been like 'HATE COLDPLAY' it's mainly 'hate this direction' 'disappointed'. These do not equate to us hating Coldplay.

You're right in some respects. They are giving up what it was that defined Coldplay to us. Yes, not to others, but to us. There is a large proportion of us on the boards voicing the same opinion so you can't say that it's an unfounded idea. If there is a collective group saying the same thing then there is some basis of truth in it for those people. If you don't think they're changing what it meant for them to be Coldplay, then okay, that's how you and your collective group feels.

You cannot say that our opinion is less valid or should be voiced less just like we can't say the same to you.

Simple fact is, both sides are allowed to feel whatever they want to feel, but us getting snarky, stressed and rude to each other is not the right way to handle it.

I dislike the direction that they're taking. If they are taking it because they want to, then good on the boys... If they're taking the direction because they're being pushed into it, then so be it. I'm just expressing the opinion that I don't like it and I feel like we're losing Coldplay as we knew them and I'm not particularly being won over by this new band.

Bless this post.

I can't help thinking, if they really wanted to be 'mainstream/pop' (as if they weren't from the start), wouldn't they just have released a full length album in 2009? And another in 2010?

Who knows, maybe they're being really good people who try to please everyone. (That's not a good thing at all, but you can't really blame them for it.) And we will get our real, deep and simple songs on the album, but they're starting with the newer fans who love them because of Viva.

Maybe they're just trusting us to 'endure' this, we've been loyal for many years so we can take a few months of not such good music.

:shrug:

that is because they both went in directions that they hadn't been and that nobody else was going...this album is a typical top 40 pop money maker for the label. it is regression for this band

All of their albums were top 40 moneymakers. Every label executive in the world wants a coldplay soundalike on their label. (and there have been a fair few over the years) They are the sound of today's top 40 like it or not and have been going on a decade now. I'm sorry, but I guess why I can't see how they've become mainstream is that I honestly can't picture what could be more mainstream than their previous work. People here are talking about a massive pop/rock colossus as if it were some hip underground indie band and it just confuses me.

Wouldn't Briggins leaving be considered a positive by a substantial portion of coldplayers though? ;)

That's because that "substantial portion of Coldplayers" doesn't know him at all and instead of getting to know him and seeing that he's a great guy who doesn't hate Coldplay at all, you just went ahead and assumed all his mindless threads that were meant to loosen the atmosphere were just HATE HATE HATE.

You are an idiot.

For the record, I never said I was happy he was gone. Frankly, I never liked or disliked him. Nonetheless, he was (to say the least) a controversial presence who stirred up more than his fair share of animosity. Yes some people were sh%*@y to him, but he gave as good as he got.

That's because you probably read just 1 of his posts and "stirred up"?really?

He has probably done more for this forum than any of you people from the cp section.

Never stirred me up. I'll admit that I didn't know the guy personally, but right or wrong people had a tendency to get upset by his posts. Some of them got very upset. I'm sorry he got driven away, but It's just not true to deny that many users (particularly more casual ones) had negative experiences with him.

And yes, he probably did do more for the forum than anyone here, that doesn't change the fact that some of what he posted caused hurt feelings and ill will.

I've never seen a hate post by briggins I think. People's feelings can get hurt here just by saying that Coldplay isn't perfect or saying that a particular song sucks, so I wouldn't be surprised if a harmless post caused that.

That probably true. Look, I just get kind of off put by the general tone of animosity that seems to be rising here lately and lumped him in as part of something he wasn't. I'll admit I was out of line. To you, and anyone else that was offended, I'm sorry. I'm going to delete my original post as well now.