✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Let's just calm down...

CartoonHeart42

Ok, I've never written on here but today I've read some ridiculous responses to the release of Paradise.

To say that Coldplay are taking a 'new direction' (pop) based on 2 songs is a bit wide of the mark. Yes, ETIAW and Paradise are a new, different sound, but people have been quick to forget all the great songs played at the festivals; CB, HLH and to a lesser extent MM are great songs, and a development from the Viva era. I think they'll make CB the lead single of the album, and in my view it represents what MX is about, along with HLH. UATW sounds more like classic Coldplay, and I'm sure other songs on the album will be similar.

I know it's become a bit cliche, but I think it's good they're trying something different, it's testament to their talent that they can produce songs from a variety of genres. I just think it's a huge overreaction to say they've 'sold out'. I admit Paradise was a bit of a disappointment, but I think the rest of the album will make up for it. Even AROBTTH, my favourite album, and by the rhetoric of today's posts the embodiment of 'real Coldplay music', had its bad songs. In my view, every song on that album is a classic apart from Daylight and A Whisper, ironically my least favourite Coldplay songs. I probably wouldn't even have them downloaded if they weren't written by Coldplay.

So before condemning them, listen to the album. I bet come October you'll all be raving about how good it is anyway.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day, if you still hate it, no one is asking you to stay and no amount of bickering and bitching will make the band or anyone change their mind. The opinions of those who do or don't like it won't change my opinion and the minute it does, that's when I know i'm a useless idiot who has to rely on other people to tell me what to think.

TBH i'm not too keen on 'Paradise', but i'm gonna stick around; not because i'm better than you, but because I want to. To see the evolution and growth of the band and not ditch when things get a little rough.

dear new coldplay fan,

In the time waiting for the album,

would you care watching the toronto gig of 2006,

it pretty much sums up the older coldplay.

Dear pretentious 'old' Coldplay fan

I may not have been a massive fan since 2000 mainly because I was just a kid back then. I already said my favourite album is AROBTTH. And as it happens I've seen that breathtaking performance in Toronto, but that doesn't stop me from liking their new material.

Thanks.

The old Coldplay is no better than the new or recent Coldplay. I have been a fan since Parachutes, but I definitely do not think old Coldplay fans have any superior knowledge or claim on the band. If anything, it´s the new that counts more: it´s definitely what Coldplay are excited about right now.

Yes, he's a new Coldplay fan because he only joined the forum this year right?

Newsflash: not all Coldplay fans need to join Coldplaying in order to like them for a long time

+1,

There are bigger and more hardcore Coldplay fans who are NOT on this forum.

Each of their albums have sold at least 8 millions copies worldwide and there are only 60000 members here (at maybe only 5000 of them are active users)

Their manager said that they don't want this album to fall in any music box.

So expect every song to be different and so far they are all different.

And like I said before, if you miss Parachutes, just go listen to it. They don't need to make another Parachutes or AROBTTH. They've already done it.

Can you imagine doing the same thing over and over and over again? That would be a bore.

And like I said before, if you miss Parachutes, just go listen to it. They don't need to make another Parachutes or AROBTTH. They've already done it.

Can you imagine doing the same thing over and over and over again? That would be a bore.

Completely agree!

OMG, will you please stop saying we all want another Parachutes and AROBTTH?!

This is not the point!

Instead of bitching about the "haters", take your time and try to see their point and stop telling them to go to listen to old material.

You are missing the point, massively!

Imke: The main point I saw was that Coldplay are going mainstream and that´s why MX sucks. I disagree about them going mainstream: I think they are just realizing their vision and expressing their music as they want it to be now. Tomorrow..who knows! Moreover you can´t blame some people for thinking MX "haters" want the old Coldplay back as this point as well has been stated more than once on the forum

Yes, he's a new Coldplay fan because he only joined the forum this year right?

Newsflash: not all Coldplay fans need to join Coldplaying in order to like them for a long time

this. i've been a fan since Parachutes, but it wasn't until 2009 that I joined, because i was FINALLY seeing them live (being a poor teenager/college student lol) that, and i didn't even know the forum existed until then.

as for this thread in general, nice to see some rationality instead of blind panic. i'm not crazy about Paradise, but I'm sure, like ETIAW, it will grow on me. Despite those, after listening to a lot of the other stuff that has only been played live (ie CB, UATW, etc) i'm super excited for the album.

OMG, will you please stop saying we all want another Parachutes and AROBTTH?!

This is not the point!

Instead of bitching about the "haters", take your time and try to see their point and stop telling them to go to listen to old material.

You are missing the point, massively!

Actually i agree with macky tbh. About 90% of the posts i've read by people who don't like Paradise have been pining for Parachutes/AROBTHT mk. 2, or just accusing them of going too "mainstream."

Imke: The main point I saw was that Coldplay are going mainstream and that´s why MX sucks. I disagree about them going mainstream: I think they are just realizing their vision and expressing their music as they want it to be now. Tomorrow..who knows! Moreover you can´t blame some people for thinking MX "haters" want the old Coldplay back as this point as well has been stated more than once on the forum

The main point is that we don't like the new direction because they are giving up what makes them Coldplay. They are giving up their potential to appeal to a bigger audience.

I never said MX sucks, nor did the majority of the "haters" (a term that clearly shows how some here simply can't accept any criticism), we talked about ETIAW and Paradise.

i thought brian eno was pushing these guys to be better...this is a big step back for this bad...much like x and y...viva la vida was a nice comeback...but so far this album is shaping up to be top 40...bass heavy hip hop dance club BS...come on..doing a song with rhianna? what a joke.

the take away martin's vocals in this paradise and just replace them with keysha or timbaland...you would NEVER know it was a coldplay song. unoriginal, boring, commercial...

The main point is that we don't like the new direction because they are giving up what makes them Coldplay. They are giving up their potential to appeal to a bigger audience.

I never said MX sucks, nor did the majority of the "haters" (a term that clearly shows how some here simply can't accept any criticism), we talked about ETIAW and Paradise.

Did Radiohead give up their identity when they released Kid A?

Did U2 give up their identity when they released Achtung Baby?

Just food for thought. ;)

I'm not a frequent listener of either of those bands, so I wouldn't know.

But for me, Coldplay gave up their identity when they put out ETIAW.

How can anyone claim MX is 'mainstream' when we've only heard around half of the songs? Of course they're gonna play the 'mainstream' style songs at festivals, they're not playing to coldplay fans, and have to play things to get the crowds going. Who knows what the songs we haven't heard will sound like?

oh and don't judge me cos of my mere 5 posts..

I feel like as a single, this is weak. But place it in the context of all of the other songs, and it makes me excited to hear the whole thing.

It's like taking a single chapter out of a book and trying to enjoy it. Granted, I loved Hurts Like Heaven and Charlie Brown the first time I heard them. But I think that when you take the out of place puzzle piece that is Paradise and put it into the big picture that will be Mylo Xyloto, we'll have nice little collection of tunes.

How can anyone claim MX is 'mainstream' when we've only heard around half of the songs? Of course they're gonna play the 'mainstream' style songs at festivals, they're not playing to coldplay fans, and have to play things to get the crowds going. Who knows what the songs we haven't heard will sound like?

oh and don't judge me cos of my mere 5 posts..

you are mainstream when you bring in rhianna to sing a hook in a song

I'm not a frequent listener of either of those bands, so I wouldn't know.

But for me, Coldplay gave up their identity when they put out ETIAW.

Hmm...I see Win and Regine in your avatar...

Did Arcade Fire give up their identity when they released Neon Bible? :P

that is because they both went in directions that they hadn't been and that nobody else was going...this album is a typical top 40 pop money maker for the label. it is regression for this band