✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Let's just calm down...

CartoonHeart42

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main point is that we don't like the new direction because they are giving up what makes them Coldplay. They are giving up their potential to appeal to a bigger audience.

Okay, that's it, I'm putting the foot down.

Have you got a source for this? Why on Earth is everyone saying this? It's so god damn pretentious. Just because you don't like the new artistic direction Coldplay are taking does not mean they are trying to appeal to more people or trying to make money or selling out or going "mainstream".

By the way, Coldplay have been "mainstream" since Yellow. Everyone in the Western world knows their songs, I really don't think that gives us the right to act like hipsters.

Maybe Coldplay have changed their sound because they wanted to? Ever think of that? Judging from their comments in the past they place huge importance on changing a sound.

It makes me lose a lot of face that so many of you just resort to calling them sell outs or saying they are trying to appeal to everyone. I don't believe that for a second, they have huge integrity and they do what they want to do. Do you really think after VLV they want more fans? I'm pretty certain their only concern is making music they love.

I don't know how you can call yourself a Coldplay fan then start screaming "SELLOUT" as soon as they change their style to something you don't like. Surely you know better than that. Chris, Guy, Jonny and Will aren't sellouts, they have oodles of artistic integrity and they do whatever the fuck they want to do.

*breathes in*.

Sorry if that sounded rude, but i've had it with seeing so many people claim this without anything other than their own opinion to back it up. It's not good enough.

I feel like as a single, this is weak. But place it in the context of all of the other songs, and it makes me excited to hear the whole thing.

It's like taking a single chapter out of a book and trying to enjoy it. Granted, I loved Hurts Like Heaven and Charlie Brown the first time I heard them. But I think that when you take the out of place puzzle piece that is Paradise and put it into the big picture that will be Mylo Xyloto, we'll have nice little collection of tunes.

THIS IS SO TRUE^^

You can't judge a whole album by taking what may possibly be the two weakest songs on the album as your evidence, and saying that your favorite band has "lost what makes them special." Wait until the album comes out. If MX is released and all of the songs sound like "Paradise" then I'll see your point. Until then, just leave this chapter alone, and lets wait until we have the whole book to judge the art! ;)

Maybe Coldplay have changed their sound because they wanted to? Ever think of that? Judging from their comments in the past they place huge importance on changing a sound.

First off, I don't think anyone is truly opposed to Coldplay changing their sound - that's what separates good bands from great bands, the ability to take on new influences and expand their musical horizons.

That doesn't mean all change is good. An example of musically inspired change was Radiohead's decision to shift gears from the sounds of OK Computer to Kid A. In contrast, you have Coldplay's recent output which sound overproduced and substantially lacking - from the lyrics to the melodies (I'll reserve judgment of the entire album until I hear it).

Simply put, they sound no different than sounds that populate the Billboard 100 (I was instantly comparing Paradise to OneRepublic's "Apologize") and that's what's disappointing. We know Coldplay can do better and want them to realize their potential. Hopefully, the rest of MX will prove me wrong but at this point, I wouldn't bet on it...

Okay, that's it, I'm putting the foot down.

Have you got a source for this? Why on Earth is everyone saying this? It's so god damn pretentious. Just because you don't like the new artistic direction Coldplay are taking does not mean they are trying to appeal to more people or trying to make money or selling out or going "mainstream".

By the way, Coldplay have been "mainstream" since Yellow. Everyone in the Western world knows their songs, I really don't think that gives us the right to act like hipsters.

It makes me lose a lot of face that so many of you just resort to calling them sell outs or saying they are trying to appeal to everyone. I don't believe that for a second, they have huge integrity and they do what they want to do. Do you really think after VLV they want more fans? I'm pretty certain their only concern is making music they love.

I don't know how you can call yourself a Coldplay fan then start screaming "SELLOUT" as soon as they change their style to something you don't like. Surely you know better than that. Chris, Guy, Jonny and Will aren't sellouts, they have oodles of artistic integrity and they do whatever the fuck they want to do.

*breathes in*.

Sorry if that sounded rude, but i've had it with seeing so many people claim this without anything other than their own opinion to back it up. It's not good enough.

Love your post. I feel exactly the same and have been defending the guys integrity at each occasion I get, simply because no-one can ever say that they are anything but hard-working and artistically-driven. That´s how we have always known them to be and that´s also why a lot of us love them. But sometimes it is easier to blame external factors, other than admit that your idea of what great music is suddenly differs from what your favorite band thinks great music is :)

Okay. This is getting too much.

We're not haters. We're criticisers. There is a vast difference. I like how we voice our slightly critical views and we get tabbed as hating. How many posts have you directly seen that someone has been like 'HATE COLDPLAY' it's mainly 'hate this direction' 'disappointed'. These do not equate to us hating Coldplay.

You're right in some respects. They are giving up what it was that defined Coldplay to us. Yes, not to others, but to us. There is a large proportion of us on the boards voicing the same opinion so you can't say that it's an unfounded idea. If there is a collective group saying the same thing then there is some basis of truth in it for those people. If you don't think they're changing what it meant for them to be Coldplay, then okay, that's how you and your collective group feels.

You cannot say that our opinion is less valid or should be voiced less just like we can't say the same to you.

Simple fact is, both sides are allowed to feel whatever they want to feel, but us getting snarky, stressed and rude to each other is not the right way to handle it.

I dislike the direction that they're taking. If they are taking it because they want to, then good on the boys... If they're taking the direction because they're being pushed into it, then so be it. I'm just expressing the opinion that I don't like it and I feel like we're losing Coldplay as we knew them and I'm not particularly being won over by this new band.

We're not haters. We're criticisers. There is a vast difference. I like how we voice our slightly critical views and we get tabbed as hating. How many posts have you directly seen that someone has been like 'HATE COLDPLAY' it's mainly 'hate this direction' 'disappointed'. These do not equate to us hating Coldplay.

You're right in some respects. They are giving up what it was that defined Coldplay to us. Yes, not to others, but to us. There is a large proportion of us on the boards voicing the same opinion so you can't say that it's an unfounded idea. If there is a collective group saying the same thing then there is some basis of truth in it for those people. If you don't think they're changing what it meant for them to be Coldplay, then okay, that's how you and your collective group feels.

You cannot say that our opinion is less valid or should be voiced less just like we can't say the same to you.

Simple fact is, both sides are allowed to feel whatever they want to feel, but us getting snarky, stressed and rude to each other is not the right way to handle it.

I dislike the direction that they're taking. If they are taking it because they want to, then good on the boys... If they're taking the direction because they're being pushed into it, then so be it. I'm just expressing the opinion that I don't like it and I feel like we're losing Coldplay as we knew them and I'm not particularly being won over by this new band.

:)

Very nicely put. :)

Nattatouille: Do you like any songs from MX so far? Or are you disappointed only by ETIAW or Paradise?

I have liked the sound of the live versions of Charlie Brown, HLH, PoC and MM. However MM was ruined in the studio recording by the odd processing on Chris's voice. I'm worried that the same will happen to these.

The thing is, I liked the sound, but none of them have quite caught me the way even Speed of Sound (probably the 2nd worst lead-single off an album) did.

:)

Very nicely put. :)

Thanks guys :)

the thing is, if you're listening to an album and you think it's good, listening to songs like Paradise or ETIAW just kill the good album experience and you feel like it's bad.

It's like eating something with 10 good ingredientes and you add something really disgusting to it. Overall it gets horrible :P

honestly, I really like HLH, Charlie Brown and UATW. Moving to Mars is also amazing, but they keep releasing these horrible songs and leave me expecting the worst for the rest of the album (they already ruined the studio version of MM in my opinion)... it's just sad.

the thing is, if you're listening to an album and you think it's good, listening to songs like Paradise or ETIAW just kill the good album experience and you feel like it's bad.

It's like eating something with 10 good ingredientes and you add something really disgusting to it. Overall it gets horrible :P

honestly, I really like HLH, Charlie Brown and UATW. Moving to Mars is also amazing, but they keep releasing these horrible songs and leave me expecting the worst for the rest of the album (they already ruined the studio version of MM in my opinion)... it's just sad.

Yeah, I think that's the best way of putting it. I don't like the idea of a hit-and-miss album where I will either skip tracks or not have them on my iPod at all.

It's an old joke - put one piece of shit into pile of something and you will get the whole pile of shit.

At the moment I'm not sure I will buy MX.

Dear pretentious 'old' Coldplay fan

I may not have been a massive fan since 2000 mainly because I was just a kid back then. I already said my favourite album is AROBTTH. And as it happens I've seen that breathtaking performance in Toronto, but that doesn't stop me from liking their new material.

Thanks.

thanks for replying in a good way,

I understand you completely, and I don't hate the new stuff at all,

there's just one thing

two years ago, I got a new classmate, a guy who just moved to our area.

At first he was a bit shy, but wen we first talked I already had a feeling that we could become friend, and this might be a friendship for life.

But after some months, when he knew everybody in class, he started hanging out with people who I don't like at all. Pretentious people (Thank for teaching me that word, I hope I used it correctly), and my friend became more and more like them. After a year, I hardly spoke to him anymore. He'd become the guy in school who everybody likes, but still he acts like an ass, and had a huge ego.

I'd hate seeing this happen to coldplay.

oh, and: Apologies for being somewhat of a douche in my first post

The main point is that we don't like the new direction because they are giving up what makes them Coldplay. They are giving up their potential to appeal to a bigger audience.

I never said MX sucks, nor did the majority of the "haters" (a term that clearly shows how some here simply can't accept any criticism), we talked about ETIAW and Paradise.

This is what I don't get about the whole "Coldplay's gone mainstream" arguement. Coldplay already had a Massive audience. There sound already appealed to more people than virtually any other current act. (if you judge by record sales and tour grosses.) Other artists who want to sound commercial are advised to sound LIKE THEM! The most commercial/mainstream/sell-out thing they could have done was what they were already doing. When you have such a winning commercial formula, there is NO commercially minded reason to change ANYTHING. The only logical reason they would adopt a new sound, is that they genuinely like the new one better.

Note that nowhere I said that you aren't allowed to not like the new songs, but I'm sorry the argument that Coldplay are somehow changing "for commercial reasons" makes not the least bit of sense IMHO.

This is what I don't get about the whole "Coldplay's gone mainstream" arguement. Coldplay already had a Massive audience. There sound already appealed to more people than virtually any other current act. (if you judge by record sales and tour grosses.) Other artists who want to sound commercial are advised to sound LIKE THEM! The most commercial/mainstream/sell-out thing they could have done was what they were already doing. When you have such a winning commercial formula, there is NO commercially minded reason to change ANYTHING. The only logical reason they would adopt a new sound, is that they genuinely like the new one better.

Note that nowhere I said that you aren't allowed to not like the new songs, but I'm sorry the argument that Coldplay are somehow changing "for commercial reasons" makes not the least bit of sense IMHO.

It's a development that started showing during VLV and it's gotten to an unbearable point with ETIAW and Paradise now.

Old fan here since 2000 and to me they became mainstream with VLV, the friggin' butterflies and the stupid uniforms.

In my opinion (notice that it's my own opinion and I'm free to express it) they just aim to be the biggest band in the world and reach younger audience with meaningless pop-ish songs. I'm pretty sure that even if the songs aren't even good, they'll be all number 1 and the radio will play them all the time cos it's Coldplay™.

They're not the same band I used to love and supported for over a decade. Musically and lyrically are not that good anymore but they can still get away with it cos they're Coldplay™. How I wish they could record more simple and real songs with at least some lyrics I can relate to but I don't see that coming anytime soon if they keep overproducing albums and trying to "take over the world".