✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Let's just calm down...

CartoonHeart42

I never said MX sucks, nor did the majority of the "haters" (a term that clearly shows how some here simply can't accept any criticism), we talked about ETIAW and Paradise.

What is it about STILL knocking ETIAW??? Apart from the fact that its a SENSATIONAL song, (yes, for some simple minded people it is very different from Coldplay's sound) its been out since the beginning of june and people still cant accept it; if you cant stand it that much why are you still here???

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I am curious. Does this mean the "older fans" want Coldplay to stay out of the main stream and be that band in the early 2000's that people would make fun of (btw my personal opinion is making fun of them was a joke anyways because they were genius back then)?

P.S. please dont take this as an attack on older fans or newer fans. A fan is a fan. You guys are putting too much pressure on yourselves and not looking at the bigger picture.

What is clear is that people will tend to stick with the initial gut reaction whether it was a positive or negative one. I suggest at this point everyone just needs to give up on trying to persuade one another because it is clear that it cannot be done (at least the way we are doing it). What I did preach is patience and open-mindedness. Accept that Coldplay are going in a new direction (and you cannot stop them) and let the songs/album grow on you. It has at least worked for me with a few of these MX era songs. If it doesn't: Ho Hum, live goes on.

So I am curious. Does this mean the "older fans" want Coldplay to stay out of the main stream and be that band in the early 2000's that people would make fun of (btw my personal opinion is making fun of them was a joke anyways because they were genius back then)?

P.S. please dont take this as an attack on older fans or newer fans. A fan is a fan. You guys are putting too much pressure on yourselves and not looking at the bigger picture.

i am an older fan..but loved Viva La Vida more than my daughter...who was what you call a new coldplay fan...has nothing to do with old and new fans...has everything to do with quality...i just don't hear it so far on this album

i am an older fan..but loved Viva La Vida more than my daughter...who was what you call a new coldplay fan...has nothing to do with old and new fans...has everything to do with quality...i just don't hear it so far on this album

Meh I didn't coin that term. A fan is a fan to me. I understand what people are saying where they miss the old era of Coldplay. But artists need to grow. Yeah the songs are "pop'ish", "mainstream", etc and I even agree that I miss the old sound. But at the end of the day a band we all enjoy is going to be praised by the masses. Ultimately isn't that what we wanted for them? Just look at the journey they've been on from "Yellow" to "Paradise" it's been quite crazy but they are headed in a great direction!

We talk about 'old' coldplay fans and 'new' ones... it doesn't mean that the 'new' coldplay fans don't listen to old coldplay songs and think the same of them as the 'old' fans. I started listening to them in the X and Y era, which I guess makes me a 'new' fan, but I'm still just as worried about them becoming 'mainstream' as anyone else, especially with the news about Rihanna. Roadie 42 rates it though... At the end of the day it's still coldplay, and you're still all gonna buy the album...

Indeed: what a journey! regardless of whether you like the direction or not, everyone must admit they have changed so much and consistently! This can only be praised. It takes guts not to remain stagnant

they didn't sell out to the mainstream on Vida..and they progressed...didn't remain stagnant....i just see this effort as a step back from that

The main point is that we don't like the new direction because they are giving up what makes them Coldplay. They are giving up their potential to appeal to a bigger audience.

I never said MX sucks, nor did the majority of the "haters" (a term that clearly shows how some here simply can't accept any criticism), we talked about ETIAW and Paradise.

So true.

they didn't sell out to the mainstream on Vida..and they progressed...didn't remain stagnant....i just see this effort as a step back from that

Viva La Vida the song was extremely successful, so it was definitely catchy and popular enough to become mainstream. Lost is very close to songs like Paradise, so even then you could see where they were heading. It is not a step back in my opinion, simply because they have never made anything like MX before, so there is nowhere back to step towards, if you know what I mean :) But I do get your point: that for you this evolution is not for the best, but any judgement on that will always be subjective :)

read this review from NME...pretty much sums up my feelings

There’s the dropped drum beat, the vaguely dubstep-like bassline and the "Para-para-paradise" hook of the chorus. This is all played over a New Age-ish sounding backing; strings, the familiar simple piano riff and, eventually, a choir who intone a "Woah-oh-oh-oh" line.

It’s hard to say what the band is aiming for with the song. To replicate he epic football stadium “moment” of ‘Yellow’? The energy of a ‘Viva La Vida’? If so it doesn’t quite work on either count.

‘Paradise’ feels both slightly listless and muddled. The “hip” new sonic treatments sound out of date (there's a mid-noughties vibe about the whole thing) and the chorus comes off as a weak facsimile of what Coldplay have done effortlessly in the past; specifically that people-uniting aspect.

Whilst Coldplay’s pop makeover may be - for them at least- quite revelatory, it feels like Chris Martin’s populist songwriting tendencies have been clipped. Ultimately it feels like a few steps back rather than forward.

all these posts remind me the endless fight between the star wars fans about the 2 trilogies.

I'm a fan since X&Y era and I respect the work done on every album and song. Some songs are awesome, others weaker, but the most important is the pleasure they give us.

BTW in my opinion Paradise is a good song, just have more listens.

The way I see it is complaining incessantly over something you can't change is futile. There's nothing anyone can do about it, and you make the choice to listen to the music. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. A simple solution.

It's not worth arguing incessantly with internet strangers from around the world. Someone literally blamed Gwyneth Paltrow for the music in another thread. That kind of crap is annoying. Be constructive, calm, and showcase your maturity when you're critiquing this new work. It makes everyone's experience a lot better when you not only give feedback, but give your response substance, too.

Hating the song isn't bad, it's just bad when you get offensive and immature about it. It's not like you have to listen to it every day. Relax everyone.

There are some people saying that Coldplay want more fans and that's why they released "a pop song" like Paradise, i don't agree..

ok, this may be true but i don't think the boys would plan this kind of stuff (i don't want to oO' )

I'm really enjoying Paradise, it's a great song! If you still don't like it, do this while listening:

- close your eyes

- try to forget pop elements

- let the music go through your ears

- feel the amazing the atmosphere, it's so good :)

in my opinion, this new direction the band's taking isn't bad... they're still Coldplay, just in a different way. Maybe MX is the first step to improve, i'm sure better stuff will come in the future.

Patience anyone???

At the end of the day, if you still hate it, no one is asking you to stay and no amount of bickering and bitching will make the band or anyone change their mind. The opinions of those who do or don't like it won't change my opinion and the minute it does, that's when I know i'm a useless idiot who has to rely on other people to tell me what to think.

TBH i'm not too keen on 'Paradise', but i'm gonna stick around; not because i'm better than you, but because I want to. To see the evolution and growth of the band and not ditch when things get a little rough.

I completely agree. They've made the choice to move towards this musical direction, and so be it. If you don't like it then, play Parachutes, or AROBTTH till they come back punching in their old style. Or just bugger off and don't trash Coldplay's brilliance because they don't always play what you like.

Personally Paradise isn't really my cup of tea, but the line "the wheel breaks the butterfly" does show a hint of Chris Martins lyrically genius, plus Major Minus, is a bit like old Coldplay just a bit Brian Eno'y (and yes I did use the man legend as an adjective) so there is still hope. And to be perfectly honest, maybe we should all stop bashing them till we've actually heard the whole album?? Just an idea.

And if I don't like it, I'll just keep Parachutes on repeat till they float back to brilliance.

The way I see it is complaining incessantly over something you can't change is futile. There's nothing anyone can do about it, and you make the choice to listen to the music. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. A simple solution.

It's not worth arguing incessantly with internet strangers from around the world. Someone literally blamed Gwyneth Paltrow for the music in another thread. That kind of crap is annoying. Be constructive, calm, and showcase your maturity when you're critiquing this new work. It makes everyone's experience a lot better when you not only give feedback, but give your response substance, too.

Hating the song isn't bad, it's just bad when you get offensive and immature about it. It's not like you have to listen to it every day. Relax everyone.

6 this x100000

I really enjoy the song, it's fresh and different.

I really don't care if they can't replicate the greatness of their previous records, that just allows me to enjoy them and value that music THAT much more