✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mylo Xyloto Reviews - Media

The Final Track

I remember when VLV was released many were upset because they said it sounded very different from the usual Coldplay. But few months later, everybody started to love it. Now that MX is being released, VLV has become a masterpiece.

I believe that the same thing will happen with MX.

PS: Reviews are pouring in so this is going to leak very soon :excited:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when VLV was released many were upset because they said it sounded very different from the usual Coldplay. But few months later, everybody started to love it. Now that MX is being released, VLV has become a masterpiece.

I believe that the same thing will happen with MX.

PS: Reviews are pouring in so this is going to leak very soon :excited:

Interesting--my overall impression with VLV is that it went the other way: most people loved it when it came out, but started to become more critical as time went on. I took a major hiatus from this board for awhile, but since being back, other people have said that the general opinion of VLV did cool over time. But that's all up to interpretation and who sees what when, of course.

And whoever said it before was right, I think--among Coldplay fans, this is just going to have some rabid fans and some turned-off people. It's really been that way since X&Y, I think.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Interesting--my overall impression with VLV is that it went the other way: most people loved it when it came out, but started to become more critical as time went on. I took a major hiatus from this board for awhile, but since being back, other people have said that the general opinion of VLV did cool over time. But that's all up to interpretation and who sees what when, of course.

And whoever said it before was right, I think--among Coldplay fans, this is just going to have some rabid fans and some turned-off people. It's really been that way since X&Y, I think.

I've read a few internet stories and articles about this MX era Coldplay and many have alluded to what they felt was a great album in VLV. I think over time many have actually come to respect that album even more. When it was first released I felt many critics were sharpening their knives after the lukewarm reception to X&Y. There was a sense that plenty of critics were getting tired of the band. But in the end they just couldn't knife the band because at heart they knew VLV was a fine album. I think it was Pete Paphides from The Times who revised his initial review of 3 stars a few months after it's release when he stated that VLV had become his favourite album of the year and saying that he was harsh on Coldplay for giving them 3 stars! Spin got it bang on with that album. It's definitely for me a 9/10 album which is why I dont think MX will top it. For me VLV made Coldplay not only bigger but better. I think it injected a lot into the band when they looked like they were waning.

I've read a few internet stories and articles about this MX era Coldplay and many have alluded to what they felt was a great album in VLV. I think over time many have actually come to respect that album even more. When it was first released I felt many critics were sharpening their knives after the lukewarm reception to X&Y. There was a sense that plenty of critics were getting tired of the band. But in the end they just couldn't knife the band because at heart they knew VLV was a fine album. I think it was Pete Paphides from The Times who revised his initial review of 3 stars a few months after it's release when he stated that VLV had become his favourite album of the year and saying that he was harsh on Coldplay for giving them 3 stars! Spin got it bang on with that album. It's definitely for me a 9/10 album which is why I dont think MX will top it. For me VLV made Coldplay not only bigger but better. I think it injected a lot into the band when they looked like they were waning.

I agree with this--although I might not be AS much of a fan of it as their other work for various reasons, I do think it's a solidly put-together album, and really cemented their career. 9/10...personally I'm not sure if I would go that far--for me, the first two albums are that, and VLV is more like 7/10, but I agree that I'm skeptical that MX can top anything they've previously released. We'll see, though, I'd love to be surprised.

Spin Magazine reviews Mylo Xyloto (7/10)

Coldplay

'Mylo Xyloto'

Shut Up and Cry: Sir Chris of Martin gives his heartache a dance-pop infusion

SPIN RATING: 7 out of 10

It says something about Coldplay's Top 40 assimilation that the most Rihanna-ish song on Mylo Xyloto isn't the one that actually features Rihanna. "Life goes on, it gets so heavy," Chris Martin sings over a booming hip-hop beat on "Paradise," and by the time he mimics RiRi's stuttered delivery on the hook, you're already picturing him sharing the space under his umbrella.

Like 2008's horizon-broadening Viva La Vida, Mylo Xyloto draws from an expansive palette that makes Coldplay's first three albums sound even quainter: "Hurts Like Heaven" rides a zippy new-wave groove that justifies its Cure-conjuring title, while the future-soul "Up in Flames" is basically James Blake writ very, very large; those supersaturated rave synths from first single "Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall" turn up again on the sparkling, real-Rihanna-assisted "Princess of China."

But where Viva La Vida showcased Coldplay's sense of adventure, this one feels more eager to please; the sonic detail accrues with such speed that it's like Martin and his mates fear you'll bail if they don't grab you straightaway. ("Slow it down," the frontman advises in "Us Against the World," right before piling on layers of dramatic church organ.) Of course, that's the implicit threat under which 
great pop songs live, and, for better or worse, Coldplay always rise
to that challenge.

By Mikael Wood

(http://www.spin.com/reviews/coldplay-mylo-xyloto-capitol)

Well, X&Y isn't solid album like Parashutes, AROBTTH or Viva, but it definitely has more loaded singles than rest of the albums including MX.

Square One, Low, Message, Hardest Part and Speed of Sound with Talk - all this tracks I can listen at any time, any place.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I agree with this--although I might not be AS much of a fan of it as their other work for various reasons, I do think it's a solidly put-together album, and really cemented their career. 9/10...personally I'm not sure if I would go that far--for me, the first two albums are that, and VLV is more like 7/10, but I agree that I'm skeptical that MX can top anything they've previously released. We'll see, though, I'd love to be surprised.

I'd give AROBTTH a 9/10 as well. But Parachutes - 8/10 at best for me. X&Y - 7/10. If I was still 15 I'd have given it 10/10. But it's the most nostalgic for me so it's in a strange way my favourite album by them!

Wouldn't surprise me if they haven't heard it in it's entirety either.

I couldn't agree more. This review sounds more like an obligation, giving it an above average score just in-case it turns out to be a solid pop album. Obviously, Coldplay, and this type of music are not the reviewers cup of tea, hence no reference to "stand-out" tracks. They just rushed a hurried review to print so they could be first and have it out of the way. Shame...

Well, X&Y isn't solid album like Parashutes, AROBTTH or Viva, but it definitely has more loaded singles than rest of the albums including MX.

Square One, Low, Message, Hardest Part and Speed of Sound with Talk - all this tracks I can listen at any time, any place.

i'd add even White Shadows..

I couldn't agree more. This review sounds more like an obligation, giving it an above average score just in-case it turns out to be a solid pop album. Obviously, Coldplay, and this type of music are not the reviewers cup of tea, hence no reference to "stand-out" tracks. They just rushed a hurried review to print so they could be first and have it out of the way. Shame...

My thoughts exactly. The reviewer probably knows even less about the tracks than we do at this point in time.

As non-objective as music magazine reviews may be...I don't think this is the case at all. I don't think reviewers are entirely uninfluenced by outside factors, but I'm pretty sure they DO listen to the album--why wouldn't they? To save 30 minutes of their time? We also know that journalists have had their chances to hear the whole album at press listening parties. I don't see why people are saying the reviewer couldn't possibly have heard the album.

I also thought they were pretty balanced and fair in praising the album while also saying it's almost TOO good in that it's too eager to please. To me, all things point to the reviewer actually hearing AND listening to the album, and not being any sort of Coldplay/soft pop-rock snob. 7/10 is a great score, and the review itself was good and balanced--I think they seemed to match.

What if the album isn't that good? how can people even say that the reviewers don't like coldplay just because they gave them a 7/10 review?

7/10 is great considering the shitty singles we've heard. Every other song must be a masterpiece then.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Took a look at the review again.

I actually don't believe he's heard the full album and is suspiciously light on what to say about Princess of China other than the fact that it's "synth driven". What?! No comment about the guest duet's performance on that song?!

I smell b.s.

...it's a short review. He probably got a certain number of words, dictated by SPIN. How many details and opinions on details can you fit in to like, 300 words?

I'm sorry if I sound dismissive, I try give balanced opinions about what people are saying on here, but I think it's absolutely absurd to read a positive review from a high-profile publication of a highly-anticipated album and claim that it's "fishy" and that the reviewer probably didn't even listen to the album. As I said before, why would he even bother to write a bit on something he'd never dedicated 45 minutes of his life to listen to when that's his JOB at a pretty respected magazine?

I thought it was completely ridiculous when after the ACL listening party, everyone was dismissing that one woman's personal review when she'd clearly been in attendance, but now people are dismissing published reviews on websites like SPIN's as frauds. What's going to be questioned next?

The actual, physical magazine will probably have a much longer review in it--this is just a first-out blurb for the web, almost certainly with a strict word limit. YOU try writing a review of an album you just heard, or one you've listened to a million times, in that few words and see how far you get.

Guest howyousawtheworld
His comments on UATW and UIF pretty much confirm that he's heard the album. Not every magazine gives an author the luxury of several thousand words.

Ah Bollocks to me. I completely forgot about the UATW reference second time around. Yeah he probably has listened to it and as AI says it would be absurd wouldn't it to conjure up a fake review. But god knows why he bothered to spend a paragraph on Paradise.

7/10 sounds good though especially when you've got a bit of a bomb like ETIAW in there. Who knows it could work better within the album like Get On Your Boots did on U2s NLOTH