✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mylo Xyloto Reviews - Media

The Final Track

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

I don't think any Coldplay album is 'garbage'. That's a very extreme conviction... unless you actually think so, which would be unfortunate.

Unfortunately I actually think so. The album is a contrived, long and messy attempt at trying to be "The best band in the world". The band went through a rough patch during X&Y and it really shows, they had to reconnect and change their style to recover and thank fully they recovered amazingly.

That's my opinion of course. I think it's purely awful.

A lot of the hate for X&Y came from chris' absurd statement that it was going to 'Reinvent the wheel' before it came out.

I love X&Y and it's one of my favourite albums, but I don't think any album could reinvent any kind of wheel. He overplayed his hand a little.

:( ... I like X&Y. Although it's probably my least favorite Coldplay album so far.

I kind of saw that type of trajectory coming though. Clocks and The Scientist were very popular, and I understand how they may have wanted to exploit that sound even further (hence X&Y). I don't think that makes X&Y garbage, though. Some songs were great! I love Kingdom Come, Fix You, The Hardest Part, Speed of Sound, and Talk. In the end, I'm glad they came out with Viva La Vida. It was the breath of fresh air we all were looking for.

I hope they don't try to run off the success of Viva though. :\

A lot of the hate for X&Y came from chris' absurd statement that it was going to 'Reinvent the wheel' before it came out.

I love X&Y and it's one of my favourite albums, but I don't think any album could reinvent any kind of wheel. He overplayed his hand a little.

Thank you for that. I was wondering where the hate initially came from.

X&Y is a solid album, but my least favorite Coldplay release. I has several solkid tracks, but only two standout ones (to me at least) in Fix You and Speed of Sound. The Hardest Part would probably be my third favorite tune from X&Y, but it's a tier below SoS and two or three tiers below Fix You.

I guess critics have specific criteria they use in order to rate an album, even though I have never understood them. I would really like to know if there is someone who agrees with the critics most of the times. I find myself wildly swinging as I can love an album critics love and at the same time an album they hate...go figure

I am so glad I have this piece of information.

I'm happy you do, after I took the time to write down every word from a freshly published review out of one of the more important music magazines :)

I guess critics have specific criteria they use in order to rate an album, even though I have never understood them. I would really like to know if there is someone who agrees with the critics most of the times. I find myself wildly swinging as I can love an album critics love and at the same time an album they hate...go figure

I usually agree with Uncut's ratings.

I liked X&Y but I thought A Rush Of Blood was better. Then, I think Viva has been their best so far. Having heard the songs they've performed live, I wonder whether MX will be to Viva what X&Y was to AROBTTH?!

Having said that, X&Y is still one of the best records I own and is far superior to a lot of other albums, so even if MX isn't as good as Viva La Vida, I still reckon it's going to be a great album.

I remember the first time I heard AROBTTH feeling very disappointed because I was expecting something else, yet it grew on me so much that I'm still not stick of it 9 years on. I love it.

When I first heard the new stuff, I only liked Hurts Like Heaven. I couldn't stand Us Against The World or Charlie Brown. Now, I love those two tracks!

Whatever it holds, I can't wait to hear MX.

Guest howyousawtheworld

How on earth did they award X&Y a higher rating than VLV? Weird.

And they're reviewing an album from which they've only heard live tracks from? Is this actually a joke?!

To me,it totally depends on my mood which album is best and personally i dont think any of them is worse. For example, i love listening to X&Y and AROBTTH while driving car...Parachutes is great in the evening and silent moments of life and Viva i always listen to if i need inspiration and motivation.

So,what is missing ?! Exactly ! an album for times of joy and happiness and that will be Mylo Xyloto...to me ;)

111005-coldplay.png

Shut Up and Cry: Sir Chris of Martin gives his heartache a dance-pop infusion

Coldplay - 'Mylo Xyloto'

Spin Rating: 7/10

It says something about Coldplay's Top 40 assimilation that the most Rihanna-ish song on Mylo Xyloto isn't the one that actually features Rihanna. "Life goes on, it gets so heavy," Chris Martin sings over a booming hip-hop beat on "Paradise," and by the time he mimics RiRi's stuttered delivery on the hook, you're already picturing him sharing the space under his umbrella.

Like 2008's horizon-broadening Viva La Vida, Mylo Xyloto draws from an expansive palette that makes Coldplay's first three albums sound even quainter: "Hurts Like Heaven" rides a zippy new-wave groove that justifies its Cure-conjuring title, while the future-soul "Up in Flames" is basically James Blake writ very, very large; those supersaturated rave synths from first single "Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall" turn up again on the sparkling, real-Rihanna-assisted "Princess of China."

But where Viva La Vida showcased Coldplay's sense of adventure, this one feels more eager to please; the sonic detail accrues with such speed that it's like Martin and his mates fear you'll bail if they don't grab you straightaway. ("Slow it down," the frontman advises in "Us Against the World," right before piling on layers of dramatic church organ.) Of course, that's the implicit threat under which 
great pop songs live, and, for better or worse, Coldplay always rise
to that challenge.

http://www.spin.com/reviews/coldplay-mylo-xyloto-capitol

But where Viva La Vida showcased Coldplay's sense of adventure, this one feels more eager to please; the sonic detail accrues with such speed that it's like Martin and his mates fear you'll bail if they don't grab you straightaway. ("Slow it down," the frontman advises in "Us Against the World," right before piling on layers of dramatic church organ.) Of course, that's the implicit threat under which 
great pop songs live, and, for better or worse, Coldplay always rise
to that challenge.

http://www.spin.com/reviews/coldplay-mylo-xyloto-capitol

I can sense the shit about to go down...