✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mylo Xyloto Reviews - Media

The Final Track

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I smell nonsense on that review. He barely mentioned anything we didn't already know.

It's a bullshit ploy for advertisement. A real review on MX would be far more in depth and they'd mention for more things than this.

Has it ever occurred to some of us that we happen to know a lot about this album? Like, more than any others of theirs before release? They've said it themselves: that's the strategy this time around. I don't think that means that everyone that's heard it that turns around and writes something about it is LYING or leading us on, I think...it's because we just know a hell of a lot about this album and that there aren't a ton of little things that are left for us to find out like there are with more traditionally-promoted albums. Sure, there are some things left for us to discover, but just because the people that have heard it so far haven't torn every slight thing apart in the space they have doesn't mean they're full of shit, either. We have to keep in mind that they're writing for a wider audience who DON'T know every little move they've made and every single new song they've performed this summer--most people have only heard ETIAW and Paradise, and some not even those, yet are still interested in this album. Reviewers don't just write reviews for mega-fans that know a lot more by nature about these things before release than the vast majority of their readership.

Whatever, I'm not sure why I bother anymore. This is going to be my new reaction to everything on here I find completely preposterous, meaning I'll probably pull it out twice a day at least:

ypee8.gif

Has it ever occurred to some of us that we happen to know a lot about this album? Like, more than any others of theirs before release? They've said it themselves: that's the strategy this time around. I don't think that means that everyone that's heard it that turns around and writes something about it is LYING or leading us on, I think...it's because we just know a hell of a lot about this album and that there aren't a ton of little things that are left for us to find out like there are with more traditionally-promoted albums. Sure, there are some things left for us to discover, but just because the people that have heard it so far haven't torn every slight thing apart in the space they have doesn't mean they're full of shit, either. We have to keep in mind that they're writing for a wider audience who DON'T know every little move they've made and every single new song they've performed this summer--most people have only heard ETIAW and Paradise, and some not even those, yet are still interested in this album. Reviewers don't just write reviews for mega-fans that know a lot more by nature about these things before release than the vast majority of their readership.

Still don't buy it at all. Coldplay is one of, if not the most biggest band in the world right now. If you actually had the chance to be the first to review it, you wouldn't right two paragraphs. It would be a huge feature and a huge chance to show off your magazine.

But instead they pump out barely two whole paragraphs. The talk about Paradise being booming. They talk about synths being on Every Teardrop is a Waterfall and Princess of China and they talk about Up in Flames sounding like James Blunt. They also call Hurts Like Heaven zippy.

All of these things any music journalist worth their salt would already know. They headlined Glastonbury, Rock in Rio and Lollapalooza. Not to mention many more high profile festivals. It's not like this knowledge is rare at all. It's not just the die hard fans who know about this, it's everyone and anyone who is interested in music festivals.

This is not a real review at all, this is a place holder review. This is a "we need to get this review out as quick as possible" review. Maybe they heard the final release, maybe they didn't - but it isn't genuine. I have a very hard time thinking that someone who actually had the chance to write the first ever real in depth review of Mylo Xyloto wouldn't take it.

Still don't buy it at all. Coldplay is one of, if not the most biggest band in the world right now. If you actually had the chance to be the first to review it, you wouldn't right two paragraphs. It would be a huge feature and a huge chance to show off your magazine.

But instead they pump out barely two whole paragraphs. The talk about Paradise being booming. They talk about synths being on Every Teardrop is a Waterfall and Princess of China and they talk about Up in Flames sounding like James Blunt. They also call Hurts Like Heaven zippy.

All of these things any music journalist worth their salt would already know. They headlined Glastonbury, Rock in Rio and Lollapalooza. Not to mention many more high profile festivals. It's not like this knowledge is rare at all. It's not just the die hard fans who know about this, it's everyone and anyone who is interested in music festivals.

This is not a real review at all, this is a place holder review. This is a "we need to get this review out as quick as possible" review. Maybe they heard the final release, maybe they didn't - but it isn't genuine. I have a very hard time thinking that someone who actually had the chance to write the first ever real in depth review of Mylo Xyloto wouldn't take it.

That's exactly what it is: a placeholder for their website before the full review, which will almost definitely appear in the print magazine, accompanying the already-determined 7/10 rating. In fact, that pretty high rating is probably WHY it's a short blurb: people are going to want to buy the magazine so they can read what they really have to say about it in more depth. The full review will sell the magazine, the web-blurb of a few hundred words tells you the full review is coming but you have to buy the magazine to get it. The fact that people are getting so disappointed over a teaser web-blurb is astounding to me. This is almost certainly not all there will be from them, and journalists for websites like SPIN aren't allowed to just write however much they want about what they hear, online or in print. Word limits are strict in journalism.

And just because "any music journalist worth their salt" would know these things already doesn't mean the READERSHIP does. They're not writing for other music journalists, or even necessarily the people that already know the things they're writing about, they're writing for the common, casual fan. That's who you have to sell records to: the people who know these things already and have heard them over and over are already going to buy it. I don't think most of the casual fans have watched a lot, or probably any of the webcasts this year. I know tons of people who consider themselves fans of Coldplay in various capacities, and fans of music in general, who never would have bothered to turn on a webstream or even Glasto when it was on US or British TV. They rely on big-name blogs and magazines to find out about these things, and are probably most interested in the singles first, and the song that has another recognizable artist featured on it. It's not that the knowledge isn't rare, it's that it's not in the places most people but the fans like us frequent and care to look for it. These sorts of reviews bring it out into the open so more people can learn about it without boring them with intricacies that won't matter as much to them until they hear it.

They talk about synths being on Every Teardrop is a Waterfall and Princess of China and they talk about Up in Flames sounding like James Blunt

First off, you mean James Blake right? Big difference here and the fact that it's drawing these comparisons (whether true or not) is something not evident from the live versions of Up in Flames. This suggests that the reviewer has heard the album. Another clue is that the reviewer talk about the "layers of dramatic church organ" in Us Against the World, another feature that is not yet evident in live renditions.

ApproximatelyInfinite did suggest that a longer review will probably be included in the print edition and I wouldn't be surprised if that was indeed the case - in fact, that's a common journalistic practice. Nothing in the review suggests that it's a fraud or a "bullshit ploy for advertisement."

Taking a step back for a second, are you more upset at the length of the review or the fact that Mylo Xyloto got a 7 out of 10?

That's exactly what it is: a placeholder for their website before the full review

Well my goodness, I was right.

Sorry, I didn't know this was a placeholder - i was led to believe this was their full review.

You can relax, I'm not insulting anyone or anything.

Taking a step back for a second, are you more upset at the length of the review or the fact that Mylo Xyloto got a 7 out of 10?

I'm not upset with Mylo Xyloto getting a 7, I don't even read reviews.

I just thought this was supposed to be their full review and it seemed strange.

Turns out my suspicions were correct, this is a place holder review.

Well I can't you see, I'm stupid.

If you perceived anything I said as an insult to your intelligence, I honestly apologize. This is why I try not to write anything on here without looking at both sides of the coin, because whenever anyone does, someone always ends up feeling slighted. I took my chances on this topic this time because I really don't see the other side of the coin, when I think usually I'd at least point out the other parts of the conflicting argument I found valid. This time, I didn't take the time to convey my inability to understand in more neutral terms, which I probably shouldn't do anymore.

If you perceived anything I said as an insult to your intelligence, I honestly apologize. This is why I try not to write anything on here without looking at both sides of the coin, because whenever anyone does, someone always ends up feeling slighted. I took my chances on this topic this time because I really don't see the other side of the coin, when I think usually I'd at least point out the other parts of the conflicting argument I found valid. This time, I didn't take the time to convey my inability to understand in more neutral terms.

Oh no lol, i didn't think you implied that at all. It's cool. I called myself stupid :P

Correct. NOOOOOO. It doesn't need any more laying. At all. Period. Viva was the first album that didn't have an acoustic-type song and UATW is it for MX. Why can't it be like the live version? It could very well make it better though. And that means we actually really haven't heard th wholee song even with the live versions if there's an organ. Guess we'll have to see... :| Organ's never impressed me though. Fix You and Lost! are good songs but the song is amazing the way it is.

I don't hate organ, but I agree completely. UATW is perfect as is and does NOT need organ. :angry: Although I guess....

You can hear the organ in the live version of UATW.

It's not very loud but you can clearly hear Will playing it during the last verse.

....this is piano in the live version, but it could probably be replaced with organ on the album. I can see that happening I guess. :\

I don't hate organ, but I agree completely. UATW is perfect as is and does NOT need organ.

Us Against the World is a very good song as is but the layers of church organs could really add to the atmosphere and create more texture in the song. After all, this is Brian Eno's strongpoint.

(I do fear the Major Minus treatment where there is too much tinkering in the studio version).

That's exactly what it is: a placeholder for their website before the full review, which will almost definitely appear in the print magazine, accompanying the already-determined 7/10 rating. In fact, that pretty high rating is probably WHY it's a short blurb: people are going to want to buy the magazine so they can read what they really have to say about it in more depth. The full review will sell the magazine, the web-blurb of a few hundred words tells you the full review is coming but you have to buy the magazine to get it. The fact that people are getting so disappointed over a teaser web-blurb is astounding to me. This is almost certainly not all there will be from them, and journalists for websites like SPIN aren't allowed to just write however much they want about what they hear, online or in print. Word limits are strict in journalism.

And just because "any music journalist worth their salt" would know these things already doesn't mean the READERSHIP does. They're not writing for other music journalists, or even necessarily the people that already know the things they're writing about, they're writing for the common, casual fan. That's who you have to sell records to: the people who know these things already and have heard them over and over are already going to buy it. I don't think most of the casual fans have watched a lot, or probably any of the webcasts this year. I know tons of people who consider themselves fans of Coldplay in various capacities, and fans of music in general, who never would have bothered to turn on a webstream or even Glasto when it was on US or British TV. They rely on big-name blogs and magazines to find out about these things, and are probably most interested in the singles first, and the song that has another recognizable artist featured on it. It's not that the knowledge isn't rare, it's that it's not in the places most people but the fans like us frequent and care to look for it. These sorts of reviews bring it out into the open so more people can learn about it without boring them with intricacies that won't matter as much to them until they hear it.

Geez! What's wrong with you? You make too much sense. LOL

I just had an exclusive preview on the new Album Mylo Xyloto

Here's my review:

The album starts with the song 'Mylo Xyloto' it's an cool introduction tune nothing more :)

But 'Hurts Like Heaven' is EPIC it sounds not so diffrent as the live version but it's really great.

Yeah we all know how 'Paradise' sounds :) but i hate that track still.

'Charlie Brown' yet again not much diffrence with the live version from it,but it's still an great song,what else must i say about it :)

'Us Against The World' is really gotten fucked up just like Paradise,they made it really bombastic it's awfull :( too hard guitar sounds hurted my ears really.

Then 'M.M.I.X' it's cool but nothing more,it's a relaxing introduction.

'ETIAW' Yeah it's an nice pop song but nothing more then that,we all heard it so you know what i'm talking about.

'Major Minus' doesnt belong on the album just like Paradise they had too keep those 2 songs of the album :(

'U.F.O' it's an really really fantastic spacy instrumental track i cant describe how cool it is :)

And then the track we all FEAR 'Princess of China' it's an awfull track Rihanna's missplaced singing is really awfull,damn the voices of chris and her doesnt fit together :( and yet again sounds TOO overproduced.

Yeah 'Up in Flames' is maybe the best track on the album really :) better then the live version too be honest EPIC!

'AHTM' is not cool it's kind of boring too be honest,it's an bombastic introduction track :(

'DLIBYH' Pffffff that's an Boring song tooooooooo slow :( damn i dont know what too say about it.

But the last song 'UWTB' is Super! really spacy aswell really really great.

Overall this album gets an 2/5 from me,it's too bombastic most of the time and doesnt represent what Coldplay was :(