✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

First Impressions of Mylo Xyloto (and vote in the 1-10 sliding scale poll!)

Major_Love

At the moment, I'm giving Mylo Xyloto either 8 or 9 out of 10. It's a natural progression from Viva la Vida, if you ask me. I love that these guys have loosened things up and brought a little more swagger into their step. I think it is certainly their most "fun" record. I welcome the band opening up the playbook with new textures and influences. Acoustic guitar/piano ballads get old after a while. My only complaint is that the album feels really short for 14 tracks. Anyway, onward and upward!

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, music is about experiencing emotions. I heard the album for the first time and I don't feel anything. I don't advocate going back to Parachutes, but this record doesn't do anything for me. Moving to Mars did, that song moved me. I don't understand why that little gem wasn't included in the album.

For me, music is about experiencing emotions. I heard the album for the first time and I don't feel anything. I don't advocate going back to Parachutes, but this record doesn't do anything for me. Moving to Mars did, that song moved me. I don't understand why that little gem wasn't included in the album.

I totally agree. But, there are two or three songs on MX that evoke emotion, though that's not enough. Keep in mind that there are also one or two songs that move me in a negative way because I dislike them so much. That's never happened before in any Coldplay album.

Maybe I just haven't totally warmed up to it yet. I didn't feel anything when I listened to it... I still kind of don't. Maybe I shouldn't have listened to the damn songs before the album was released.
I know what you mean. The only times MX evokes any emotion from me are during DLIBYH and the second half of Up With The Birds (my favourite part of the album by far). The rest of the songs are a mixed bag, ranging from agreeable to uninspiring. I was expecting to love Hurts Like Heaven, but for some reason it ended up sounding a little lifeless in the studio. Same goes with Charlie Brown (although to a lesser degree) in the sense that Chris' voice seems to lack the sense of urgency that the live interpretations promised. Then there's the juxtaposition of songs which contain some of Chris' most engaging lyrics to date (Us Against The World) with songs that are lyrically abysmal (ETIAW, Paradise). Major Minus winds up sounding completely out of place which is unfortunate, as does Princess Of China (which is not that bad of a song in it's own right IMO, it just doesn't belong here).

There are good songs on MX, and there's a lot to like even in the weaker tracks, but I really think that VLVODAAHF was far better executed as a colourful and varied body of work, which seems to be what MX is trying to market itself as. To me there is very little flow to this album until A Hopeful Transmission is introduced near the end. So for me, as an album, MX would have to be ranked last in that sense:

1. AROBTTH

2. Parachutes = VLV

3. X&Y

4. MX

Australia here, where the album came out today.

Wonderful piece. Sounds like the musical styles of all their previous albums mixed together. Only a few tracks I don't completely like, but most fit in perfectly. Three tracks that are less than a minute does feel like a bit of a rip-off, but they'd make good ringtones, or something, I guess :P Everything is better in studio than the live versions we heard way back in the year.

I sincerely hope this is nothing but hyperbole.

No, not really, because I'm also surprised. I expected more divided reactions but they are ALL positive. Also the reviews in the german iTunes store - only 5 stars. Great to see how they love this new and fresh tune.

I know what you mean. The only times MX evokes any emotion from me are during DLIBYH and the second half of Up With The Birds (my favourite part of the album by far). The rest of the songs are a mixed bag, ranging from agreeable to uninspiring. I was expecting to love Hurts Like Heaven, but for some reason it ended up sounding a little lifeless in the studio. Same goes with Charlie Brown (although to a lesser degree) in the sense that Chris' voice seems to lack the sense of urgency that the live interpretations promised. Then there's the juxtaposition of songs which contain some of Chris' most engaging lyrics to date (Us Against The World) with songs that are lyrically abysmal (ETIAW, Paradise). Major Minus winds up sounding completely out of place which is unfortunate, as does Princess Of China (which is not that bad of a song in it's own right IMO, it just doesn't belong here).

There are good songs on MX, and there's a lot to like even in the weaker tracks, but I really think that VLVODAAHF was far better executed as a colourful and varied body of work, which seems to be what MX is trying to market itself as. To me there is very little flow to this album until A Hopeful Transmission is introduced near the end. So for me, as an album, MX would have to be ranked last in that sense:

1. AROBTTH

2. Parachutes = VLV

3. X&Y

4. MX

I agree 100%, especially the bold parts. Even the way you rank the albums is exactly like I would, except I would maybe rank VLV a tiny little bit above Parachutes because it's more varying and original (though my ranking of these two albums has been the other way around at times).

But seriously, it's as if you read my mind.

Just heard a podcast from one of the most serious radio stations in Germany. It was about 5 min long with much statements of Chris and they describe the new album in detail. The radio station said its one of the most demanding records of all time, extremely ambitious...clearly AVANT-GARDE and moving forward. They say also that there isn't any record in the modern pop/rock area which can be compared with Mylo Xyloto. In the end they said it can't be classified because there are so many genres they touch.

Wise words, it describes very good my feelings about the new album. I always have to laugh when I read that "Coldplay goes pop and mainstream". I don't see any comparable record in terms of the sound.

Here is my final review:

MX - This is beautiful intro but it should have been mixed in with the opening track.

Hurts Like Heaven - This is definitely a work of art! The production quality sounds amazing!

Paradise - A very experimental track. It fits nicely here but shouldn't have been a single.

Charlie Brown - It's no doubt the best track on the album! You will love it from the start!

Us Against the World - A masterpiece that fans will love! The only problem here is the guitar mistake in the intro.

M.M.I.X. - This is pointless. No buildup to the next track. It just sounds like the wind blowing.

Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall - A beautiful track! It should have been the closing track though.

Major Minus - An acoustic/electric mix of awesomeness!

U.F.O. - A little acoustic piece by Chris Martin that rings the sounds of Wedding Bells! A fan favorite for sure.

Princess of China - A nice tune that will make your head nod. Rihanna adds nothing to the song though.

Up In Flames - A great track but was less than great expectations. Too much bass!

A Hopeful Transmission - A nice interlude but should have been mixed in with the next track.

Don't Let It Break Your Heart - This is my favorite track. It grand and everything Coldplay fans will love!

Up With the Birds - A nice ending track. It sounds like two songs put together but you can't really tell until halfway through.

Overall I would give it an 8/10. It is something Coldplay fans will love but will not worship.

So I'm gonna use this for my second impression, which counts as a first impression, because the first time I wasn't very impressed. :P (And I didn't write anything.)

The second time was a whole lot better.

Received my copy today at 2pm. I love the artwork with the foldable graffiti wall and picture, but I'm happy you can flip it to get the MX cover, because it's all a bit too colourful. My god, if you compare Parachutes to this... Nah forget it. Just don't compare.

Mylo Xyloto: Love it, might have to do with good memories of attending two festivals over the summer, but I love the warm sound. It's my favourite of the instrumentals, AHT being a close second.

Hurts Like Heaven: Fell in love with it instantly while watching Rock Am Ring, and I also absolutely love the effects. My favourite on the album. Great opener. I always love their openers.

Paradise: This one is difficult. I hate the tricks in this song, it's just too predictable, too filled. But somehow I did kinda fall for it on the first day, and I can relate to the lyrics... (Am I writing this out loud?) So I don't know. I love the verses, but I'm also relieved when it's over. Not a good sign. Don't think it works better now it's stuck between two good songs either.

Charlie Brown: Great song, gorgeous ending.

Us Against The World: Really annoyed by that 'world', but you could see that as charming I guess. And they should have turned Will up. Beautiful song, best lyrics on the album.

M.M.I.X. Gives ETIAW a slight lift.

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall: never did anything for me. I don't hate it, but I'd rather skip it. Don't like the lyrics. Do like the final drum solo, but that's all.

Major Minus: Another favourite, including voice effects, which I loved from the first listen. I also like the clean guitar, but I prefer the more echoed live one. Love the way it abruptly cuts the album in two, putting your feet back on the ground after teardrops and waterfalls.

U.F.O.: Nice little song, but hasn't really hit me or anything.

Princess Of China: Er, I think this song is awesome. My mind can't stand the way this screams 'PLAY ME ON RADIO TO TEEN GIRLS', but it is so catchy... Rihanna does a good job. Needs a few more listens. Edit: love that moment when after the quiet part, you hear that little weird tingly sound and that base kicks back in.

Up In Flames: Wow. This song. Heard this for the third time (once on radio), and today it grabbed me, something clicked. It's brilliant. Surrender to the beat and go with it. Roadie42 was right, it felt like a modern version of Fix You. That little guitar came in, and I cried.

A Hopeful Transmission: Edgier version of MX (half a tone higher, I think?) Like.

Don't Let It Brake Your Heart: Worse version of Glass Of Water and I can barely hear Chris. Didn't work for me yet, but I love the heartbeat.

Up With The Birds: SIGH. ♥

There's definitely some gems on this album. It's not all poppy shit, I swear.

I enjoy it much better than X&Y and the second half in particular flows so, so nicely. I also love a big bass, and there's plenty of it.

Sure it lacks some artistic intelligence, but it feels pretty good.

The thing is, apart from Up In Flames (which hopefully more people will see the stunning beauty of) this album is more of the same, with a big sugar coat. It works for me, but I'm just a sucker for Coldplay. :dozey:

So for the next album, I dare them to do something completely different. I know they could write something out of this world, and they have the confidence to do it, so... DO IT!

:escaping:

I agree 100%, especially the bold parts. Even the way you rank the albums is exactly like I would, except I would maybe rank VLV a tiny little bit above Parachutes because it's more varying and original (though my ranking of these two albums has been the other way around at times).

But seriously, it's as if you read my mind.

:thumbsup:

I also thought of mentioning how I wished they included Moving To Mars on the album, but I've tried slipping it into different places on the tracklisting and it doesn't seem to work anywhere :thinking:. It's one of my favourites from this era (this is evolution, people) but it's almost as if they knew it was on another level compared to the rest of the tracks, which is why they left it off. It's the most mature and original track of this era, and it's just a shame they didn't decide to create an album in the same vein. It could have been their masterpiece.

Better than I expected. (3)

:lol:

This album is for me the most satisfying listen from start to finish of any album they've released so far. I still can't decide if I like MX or Rush better.....There both SOOOOO good.

There's just not a bad song on the album. Princess of China and Up in flames are really good but I would probably pick them as the weak songs on the album if I had to pick two. No doubt in my mind that this the best flowing "Album" coldplay has ever released.

If I had a gun to my had this is how I'd rank them:

1. A Rush of Blood to the Head- 10

2. Mylo Xyloto: 10

3. X&Y: 9

4. Viva la Vida: 8

5. Parachutes: 7