✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

First Impressions of Mylo Xyloto (and vote in the 1-10 sliding scale poll!)

Major_Love

I gave it an 8/10. My only disappointments were paradise, POC, and UIF (didn't care for the lyrics but enjoyed the melodies). I love the strong narrative and thought everything else was fantastic. I had hoped for a more dark or Orwellian concept after I heard it was inspired partially by the White Rose movement, butI'm satisfied with the final outcome. Better than Parachutes, X&Y; not as good as Viva or AROBTTH.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You clearly implied it. You made a condescending post about how disappointed and sad you are that some people decided to listen to a leak and made it clear that you had NEVER listened to one. But guess what? No one cares. And most of the people who listened to the leak already have pre-ordered or are planning to buy the actual album anyways. There's nothing wrong with listening to a leak. If you choose not to, fine, good for you, but it's the person who leaked it who could be considered in the wrong, not those who listen to it.

And comparing it to "ruining Christmas"? I don't think you could have possibly been more over-dramatic. Maybe it would ruin the moment for YOU, but not for everyone.

What Katie said.

Welcome to the 2000s.

When I make my own MX mix where should I put Moving to Mars???

I'm trying to fit it in the narrative but it seems like it fits somewhere near paradise??? Before or after. Maybe after. Maybe I'm way off. Thoughts????

Moving to Mars would only work as an album closer due to its lyrics and to some extent the style of the song. I suppose that's why they left it off the album. It might sound quite effective placed after Up With The Birds, but it would probably cheapen the effect of Up With The Birds. Now I've heard the album I can understand why it was left off. It could easily have replaced Up With The Birds, but I prefer Up With The Birds as the closer.

I'm loving it so much more than expected.

This. It is sheer genius. Sure, the lyrics aren't all that, but they're the familiar Coldplay-style. And to me, it's the overall feeling of the song that's important rather than the individual elements of it.

I'd say on a par with Vida or Death at the minute. (I always liked that title as an abbreviation cos it's like Life or Death, which is what the album says to me). But yeah, they're joint top for me. They're all a bit incomparable in a way as they're all in different veins. I used to think Viva or Death was the best album I'd ever heard, but now I'm having to think again. They're amazing pieces in my opinion.

For me a 10. A Rush and VLV were nearly perfect ( 9,5 ) but MX is a masterpiece. Its like one big song.

And please stop this "Its Eno's fault" and "Chris was too naive" bullshit. Chris would not do things he does not like... its Coldplays imagination of perfection. And it worked.

If you dont love the album, okay. But then someone is not able to see the brillance... and not the other way that Coldplay did everything wrong.

Mylo Xyloto: My personal review

Mylo Xyloto: Heartbreak with a sparkle of hope (Rating: **)

inb4 tl;dr

This might be a bit early for a full and long review, I am aware of that. But I've listened to the album plenty of times now, both through earbuds and boxes. I would have waited until next week, but I feel like it's time to judge it already, so I can get that out of the way.

First off, I'm just going to say that I'm not impressed. The album just doesn't do it for me. There's been a long build-up that's been characterised by disappointments for me, starting off with the first single, and gradually getting bigger after that, still with grains of hope scattered around.

Anyway, first thing we hear is the already recognisable Mylo Xyloto, an okay intro to Hurts Like Heaven. The latter provides the first letdown of the listen-though. I really liked the live versions of it, but there's quite a difference with the studio version. It feels so artificial and processed. It's as if they wanted to throw in all possible instruments and effects, and the result is underwhelming. Jonny's guitar doesn't come through, and it seems like some of his solos have been replaced by synths. Overall it's just weak sounding if compared to its live counterpart. On to the next track, the well-known Paradise. I'm going to be honest: I never liked the song, and I never will. Not sounding like Coldplay at all, not appealing, repetitive, lacking serious lyrics, and most of all an overload of whoa hoas and ooohs. Again, it sounds very unnatural on top of all that.

Fortunately next up is the first highlight of the album, Charlie Brown, familiar with all of you. A nice tune to bounce and jump around at. Too bad Jonny is pushed in a corner again by a layer of synths. Too bad the lyrics sound pretty meaningless to me. Too bad there is a part that goes "All the boys, all the girls". Not so keen on the string part leading up to the finale. But let's not be too negative, it's a great tune, although nothing more than that. It's not the new Clocks or anything. The outtro is simply gorgeous, one of the best parts of the album. Surprisingly, it does not lead into classic Life Is For Living, of course, but into Us Against The World. Slightly different from the live version, slightly better perhaps. Beautiful song, very poetic. Would not fit on Parachutes, unlike many say. But I'm very glad the producers kept their hands off of this one. M.M.I.X. is nothing special, it leads perfectly into summer hit Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall. Oh well, it has a sunny vibe and it's uplifting since I accepted its existence. It's not even the worst song on the record. It's still bad though.

Next is Major Minus. My favourite from the summer shows, hands down, but, as I already knew, the studio version takes a lot, if not everything that makes it so damn brilliant, away, and replaces those things by unneeded and annoying production and effects. Too bad. It's annoying to listen to it with earbuds, but it's really okay when it's coming from the boxes. Still, no goosebumps or anything with this version. U.F.O. is a very gorgeous acoustic song without bells and whistles. Gorgeous chords. impeccable singing. It's great. Still it's nothing special compared to anything they did before. Very reminiscent of Prospekt's March and Now My feet Won't Touch The Ground, for example. The outtro is epic, too bad it leads into... Princess Of China, the dreaded song featuring Rihanna. To be honest, it's not even her fault that it's a horrible song. Chris' voice is the only thing Coldplay has to do with it ("Rihanna featuring Chris Martin" would have been more correct). Worst song ever by Coldplay, full of cheap whoas and lalalas just to make it a hit. And it will be a hit. And bad lyrics (e.g. "You stole my star lalalalalalalala", "You really hurt me", etc...). Very disappointing. I never expected Coldplay to fall this deep and to milk these tricks.

Oh well, it all gets better after this. Although I'm not keen on Up In Flames. The Massive Attack/Portishead-esque drumbeat just doesn't fit the song at all. But I can't really blame them, they are constantly trying new stuff and sometimes it doesn't work out. Anyway, the song itself is very simple, which is not really a bad thing. I strongly dislike the repetitive falsetto chorus though, it hurts my ears. The song doesn't move me at all. It means nothing to me. Lovers gonna love. The best things are coming at the end of the album. A Hopeful Transmission is brilliant. Love the "spoons". It's the only perfect track of the album. Love the way it leads into Don't Let It Break Your Heart. Cheesy title aside, it's a great song. Full of energy, Coldplay as it should be. I simply love the guitar fantasy by Jonny. A bummer there's the last minute or so, I don't like the long oooooooh and the way Chris sings the title at the very end. Solid song though, not one of their best. The closer, Up With The Birds, is a masterpiece. It took me dozens of listens, but now I realise. Especially the second part. A song to listen to with eyes closed. A good thing we can end this album on a positive note. Unfortunately it's really the only memorable thing about MX.

So, all in all, the album as a whole doesn't please me. It's overproduced, often feels like it's made of plastic. A lot of different songs and types of production, to me it just doesn't fit well together. There is no flow. Even without the production issue, it would be incomparable to A Rush Of Blood To The Head or any other album in terms of quality. The lyrics are often poetic but mostly tacky and cheesy, and aren't raw and honest like Parachutes, for example. Next to that, it's as if they're trying too hard to make hits that please right from the start, with all the oooohs and stuff. Trying to please all kinds of people by blending all types of popular music genres, including the performing artists of those genres into their songs. The result is disappointing. Instead of just making music that's as good as possible just like they used to do. I'm not falling for this. I thought they knew better. I listened to Parachutes once after listening to MX, and guess what, Parachutes is just so much better. "Go listen to Parachutes then, you hater!" I'm not a hater, but yes, I will go and listen to Parachutes. "You're just against evolution". I'm not, Viva was a lot different but it was still world class, daring and adventurous. MX just has that will to please, this will to use every instrument and effect there is and to overwhelm, just like their recent live shows with confettis and fireworks, not at all as honest and modest as they used to be.

I desperately hope this is just a phase and they will not follow this direction, but I'm afraid there's no way back. I cannot really blame them for doing this, I guess. They're nice guys. I'm just afraid that the public image of Coldplay will change (it already has), they will be that hit band with their cheap whoas and quickly appealing tunes. To me they'll always be that band that sends shivers to my spine with epic slide solos, intimate performances and modest, raw and earnest compositions. Less and less people will understand me.

Oh well, I'll hold on to the few things I like about MX, continue to love and listen to everything that came before it, and I'll count down to LP6. Of course there are more important things in life anyway, I won't let it break my heart. Just wanted to get this all off my chest, I won't do this again for a while. If you've read all this, you have no life ;)

Ok, I accept your view, taste is different, but why you create a own thread? Should everyone do something like that? :P

Really, I stated often enough that this album is really up there with AROBTTH and Viva for me, most likely a bit better. Its definitely the widest and most produced record with the most details, influences, instruments, vocal work etc. Its colorful at its best. But I won't write a review in a own thread. ;)

I have no life, I read all of it :lol:

I understand what you say, and I agree with you to some point. Although I really like Mylo Xyloto , I still miss the old Coldplay, and by old i'm talking about VLVODAAHF too. I'm a fan of Coldplay since 2005's X&Y and they've changed so much since then, but I think the major change was the one between X&Y and Viva La Vida. I have some mixed feelings when i'm listening to MX, in some moments I think "oh god, this is amazing" like now it's happening while i'm listenging to UATW, but when the time for Princess Of China arrives all I think about is "WTF is this?", you know what I mean?

But well, I hope it's just a phase and someday we'll get to hear that acoustic album they were talking about. If this happens, I believe i'll think about Mylo Xyloto as a good pop album and that's it. But if this is the last Coldplay album ever as they said it could be, well, then it's not the best way of saying goodbye to me.

I gave it a 6 after a first listen. I think it's a grower, but, to me, there's a sense of incompleteness to this album. Most songs are good songs, not great ones. Two or three of them stand out, but no more.

And again, it might be a concept album but... Using the exact same composition for three tracks, really? U.F.O is the real one, M.X is a variation, which is nice, but A Hopeful Transmission? Guys, what's the point....?

If they really wanted the album to sound like a whole, they should have dropped songs like Up in Flames, which seems so annonyingly simple, or Princess of China, which kills it all to me (I'm not referring to Rihanna's singing, I think it's pretty decent on that track.)

And on another matter I don't know if it has to do with the quality, but there's definitely something wrong with the mixing. It's so... loud! I know most pop records tend to loudness these days, but it's getting insane. And it has nothing to do with the volume, he. :D

I don't hate this album at all, I just think it's the worst record Coldplay did.

At first I didn't even want to wright anything because one might think of me as of stupid fangirl. But to hell with that, no one knows me here:)

I really liked MX. If someone would tell me a month ago that I'd like Princess of China with Rihanna in it, I'd say with condescending smirk "Yeah, sure". But now I listen to that song and find Rihanna's vocals not irritating as usual. She sounds ok, and I'm satisfied with what they've done here. I like those r'n'b beat and though lyrics are a bit girlish and simple, Rihanna make them sound natural (because she is a girl and not very sophisticated).

I like Up In Flames. I didn't like it live, but now I'm in love with those rhythm. It's hypnotizing. It repeats like heartbeat, very nice touch.

I will never forgive them what they've done with Major Minus, they killed it, I agree. But I think that Hurts like Heaven turned out to be a decent version. I've already used to it, and I love it.

I'm sorry that Charlie Brown didn't touch your heart. It's overwhelming, it's so full of energy and love for life. It one of those songs that make your day. Those "we'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark".. Rather poetic for me.

I won't mention Paradise or ETIAW because I'm not a fan, but not a hater either.

As a P.S. I'd like to say one thing. I was very skeptical about this album, and was not satisfied with singles at all. I thought they're making it for money or for popularity. But then I watched those interview with Chris, where he was just seriously talking about how much they've put in this album. You know, I BELIEVED HIM. I think he was sincere, he meant it. And these are real emotions, just put in another form. More appealing, more easy to perceive, but still... it's them.

lol, Tryptophan, why do you and I always agree on everything? :P

Although I do have to say that I like the vocal effects in Major Minus (yes; the live version is still better, if only because the guitar echoes are pretty freaking amazing). I still don't care for Paradise and ETiaW--but they do sound loads better when listened to in the album context, so kudos to the guys for picking a tracklisting that works well.

The studio version of UAtW is beautiful, Up In Flames isn't bad (except for that annoying drum beat :P), U.F.O. is too short, they didn't include those amazing 'luminous' lyrics (boo), and I'm in love with the last three tracks . . . but unfortunately this may wind up being my least favorite of Coldplay's albums. :\

I just hope it isn't their last. :uhoh:

Okay, I thought MX would grow on me after the first few listens, but it hasn't :wtf: I think it's dropped down to a 6/10 :disappointed: Maybe I'm just in a bad mood or something . . . That and I'm annoyed that Rihanna hogged the spotlight in PoC.

But I stand firm in my A-Hopeful-Transmission-Don't-Let-It-Break-Your-Heart-and-Up-With-the-Birds-are-amazing viewpoint :nod:

Album is over-produced and poppy but thats the point, its suppose to be a fun album. theres not a singular hit like Viva la vida, fix you, clocks or yellow but the album collectively is beautiful. I dont fret about all the over produced songs because I know they can play them live, both studio and live versions of the songs have there own magic to them which makes coldplay really good band. If you want the serious coldplay that makes strong emotional ties youll find it in AROBTTH and parachutes, they have already been there done that. Now they have albums on both ends of the spectrum for a wide range of people to enjoy. The only song Im still getting use to is paradise and to this day its the pnly coldplay song/single that I have critism for. that is my official review of this album. I gave it 10/10 because I cant give coldplay anything less than perfect, Im that addicted

Now that I've listened to it all the way through several times, I think my final verdict is a 5-6 :disappointed: Believe me, I don't want to say that MX is Coldplay's worst album yet . . . but it is. I don't know if it's the layers upon layers of synths, or the lyrics, or the fact that I heard half the album before it dropped, (maybe a combination?) but there's just something about it that I don't like :\

Here's to hoping we get some quality b-sides (for the love of God, we'd better hear those 'luminous' lyrics at some point :freak: That's all I ask!) or a nice EP.

Now that I've listened to it all the way through several times, I think my final verdict is a 5-6 :disappointed: Believe me, I don't want to say that MX is Coldplay's worst album yet . . . but it is. I don't know if it's the layers upon layers of synths, or the lyrics, or the fact that I heard half the album before it dropped, (maybe a combination?) but there's just something about it that I don't like :\

Here's to hoping we get some quality b-sides (for the love of God, we'd better hear those 'luminous' lyrics at some point :freak: That's all I ask!) or a nice EP.

I mean, 6/10 is still 3 stars. That's pretty good. :D

I agree with you. But I do like Up in Flames (not the drum) very much.

For PoC it's definitely a radio song. It will be a hit, that's for sure. As a band, as humans, they change, they try new things, their music changes while they change. It's normal.

They'll often be on radio, more and more people will start to like them ... What can we do about it? I mean, when VLV came out, everybody at first was like ... what the f*** is that? But if we look back now, it's an AMAZING record. We're just not used to that kind of music, I guess. Over all, this album has great tracks, but it's small details like the drum in Up in Flames or Chris' voice in Hurts Like Heaven that could've made this record a better record if they weren't there.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Moving to Mars would only work as an album closer due to its lyrics and to some extent the style of the song. I suppose that's why they left it off the album. It might sound quite effective placed after Up With The Birds, but it would probably cheapen the effect of Up With The Birds. Now I've heard the album I can understand why it was left off. It could easily have replaced Up With The Birds, but I prefer Up With The Birds as the closer.

It's not going to please people this but I'm confident Moving To Mars was not on the album because it sounded too much like something that would be on AROBTTH.

I voted 4/10 on this poll yesterday but today I decided I didn't like "Up in Flames" anymore thanks to the horrid drum machine and repetitive lyrics and the fact that it's basically a crappy version of "Fix You", so I'd like to change my vote to a 3/10. :D