✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

First Impressions of Mylo Xyloto (and vote in the 1-10 sliding scale poll!)

Major_Love

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It feels like their White Album to me. A bunch of wildly different ideas thrown together in a way that actually makes a coherent album; Mylo Xyloto also has the benefit of being tied together with distinct themes. I love the mix of big anthems, slowed down acoustic songs, and evocative electro-pop like Paradise, Princess of China and Teardrop. It strikes me as their most balanced record yet, and their best-paced as well. None of these songs goes over the 5 minute mark, and my favorite song on the record, U.F.O. isn't even 3 minutes long--and yet it doesn't feel rushed. It just didn't need to be any longer.

It feels like their White Album to me. A bunch of wildly different ideas thrown together in a way that actually makes a coherent album; Mylo Xyloto also has the benefit of being tied together with distinct themes. I love the mix of big anthems, slowed down acoustic songs, and evocative electro-pop like Paradise, Princess of China and Teardrop. It strikes me as their most balanced record yet, and their best-paced as well. None of these songs goes over the 5 minute mark, and my favorite song on the record, U.F.O. isn't even 3 minutes long--and yet it doesn't feel rushed. It just didn't need to be any longer.

Coherent?

you're joking right?

can people please explain to me specifically how they can rank this album 10/10?

Probably because they enjoy it. Probably impulsive too. Just because they rate it a 10 and you don't feel it deserves it, doesn't mean they have to defend their decision though. I will hold my judgement until next week, but I very rarely would rate anything a 10. That's just me.

Probably because they enjoy it. Probably impulsive too. Just because they rate it a 10 and you don't feel it deserves it, doesn't mean they have to defend their decision though. I will hold my judgement until next week, but I very rarely would rate anything a 10. That's just me.

I'm just really curious to know.

I find the album is extremely disconnected as an overall package. It's more just a collection of songs rather than a well crafted and put together album. And the songs themselves are too overproduced.

I guess I feel it's not a light statement to calling an album 10/10, and personally I can only think of a handful of albums that I'd give a 10/10

Coherent?

you're joking right?

You totally caught me. When my opinion differs from yours, just assume I'm joking :rolleyes:

Just kidding. And idk, I think it sounds great as an "album." These songs complement each other, play off each other. But then I think the same thing about the White Album. There's a lot of different sounds, but the Peter Pan themes, the graffiti imagery, the love story--it all kind of ties it together in a way that works for me.

People - why do you hate on Major Minus? (It's a serious question) I don't understand what you don't like about it. :o

It's growing on me, that's for sure. But Chris made it out to be this "dark, Orwellian thing" and it most certainly isn't. But it's a fun, rockin' tune, and I'm starting to appreciate it more for what it actually is.

So after listening through it about 10 times,these are my first impressions:

- MX and HLH sounded much better when they played it live, still great but toooo many soundeffects

- Charlie Brown is great, i also love the outro

- Us Against the world...no words,amazing

- U.F.O. is my favourite of the album, is absolutely beautiful and remembers me of a mix of Prachutes and Prospekts March

- Princess of China...meh

- DLIBYH and UWTB sound really cool but i have to listen to it some more times,but i would say i prefer UWTB

So concluding, in my opinion this is a great album, i would rate it about 8/10.

It's not as good as Parachutes or AROBTTH, but as good as VIVA and X&Y

My only two disappointments are the effects on HLH and this crappy song called Princess of China...

EDIT: would've been great if they left out PoC and put MTM there instead...

Guest Osaka Sun

The first time hearing it and I don't know what to say. It's okay, but...

I'll give it a seven for now, and I'll refrain from listening it until I get the CD version.

I do not post on this forum much these days, but as Mylo Xyloto has leaked I thought I would post my thoughts.

Mylo Xyloto is a colossal yet ingeniously short album opener. I absolutely love the way it slowly builds up the pace and seamlessly kicks into the true album opener, Hurts Like Heaven.

Hurts Like Heaven is fantastic. It couldn’t sound a further apart from its live incarnation but it certainly does hold its own and provides the statement of intent for the rest of the album. Its clicks, techno blips and beeps remind me of Athlete.

Paradise? Its huge synths and bass line now seem not so bad in context with the rest of the album. It is a radio-friendly and non-Coldplay-sounding 4 minutes and 38 second song that will inevitably attract more new fans and eject a few old fans too.

Charlie Brown. It is Coldplay, but then again it isn’t. This song has been around for three or so years. If you listen carefully you can hear the largely acoustic song that it once was, to fit on a once promised acoustic album that failed to materialise. At times it feels as though it has been fleshed out to suit the style of Mylo Xyloto, I kind of wish they’d kept it for an acoustic sixth album.

Us Against the World is lovely. It is quite an important song for me because it was decided a while ago, after playing a live performance of it to my fiancé, that this would be the song that is played during our ‘first dance’ at out wedding reception. On first listen the thirty seconds had us worried, as we’re used to just Chris and the guitar, however our worries were allayed following an amazingly simple and untouched recording of this soon to be classic song.

M.M.I.X. It’s an instrumental. It does help to prepare you for ETIAW which I would much prefer to just launching straight into its dance-synth tomfoolery after such a beautiful song.

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall. You either love it or you want it to die a slow and painful death. I did hate it, but after hearing it as part of this album I am starting to enjoy it. I particularly like the last 59 seconds. OooooooOOOoooooh! And so on.

Major Minus. After hearing the live performance a few months ago I was very disappointed with the studio recording. It’s the vocal and composition of instruments. It sounds over-produced and loses that raw edge that you get with it being played live. It is GPASUYF’s ugly step-sister.

U.F.O. So, during Major Minus I got talking to my fiancé about how Coldplay will probably never go back to their ‘Parachutes’ sound and how UATW is probably a nod to all those fans who have stuck with them since the late 90s. U.F.O. starts up and we both look at each other and laugh. Where the fuck did this beautiful gem come from? It is more Prospekt’s March than Parachutes but I love it all the same. I got goosebumps.

Princess of China is fucking cool. It is such a contrast to the previous track and I believe its placing on the album is for that exact reason. It has incredibly sharp synths that could cut through just about anything. Rihanna is not as prominent on the song as I have been made to believe after reading some of the user reviews on this form.

Up In Flames builds up to something special, but it takes an age to get there. Is it too repetitive? Is it too whiny? You be the judge. I absolutely love the last line ‘Can we pour some water on?’ Stunning.

A Hopeful Transmission helps to remind you that you’re listening to Mylo Xyloto. It’s a wonderfully short instrumental piece that mirror’s the opening track ‘Mylo Xyloto’ but in a playful breezy fashion.

Don’t Let It Break Your Heart is my least favourite track. Stuffy. Bloated. I can only describe it as album filler. I cannot see that it serves any other purpose. It’s as if Chris and the gang decided that they needed another Lovers in Japan. This could have been left off.

Up With The Birds. I was pleasantly surprised with this song. It is the perfect end to the album. This album’s 42, but in two parts and actually good. An uplifting end to the album with some beautiful sounds, some weird some not so weird.

So after three years I have heard Mylo Xyloto. The 5th album from my favourite band that I’ve loved since 1999. Parachutes is my favourite album, closely followed by AROBTTH. X&Y and VLVODAAHF were never great, but they do exist and I have listened to them countless times. I guess part of being a fan of the band is to go along for the ride. See what happens. You get some great albums and some not so great. Mylo Xyloto is in my opinion a great album.

I was really scared that I would end up hating this album

but I just got done listening to it for the first time and I LOVE IT!

It has old coldplay. new coldplay. and the coldplay everyone loves.

It's kind of bittersweet though, years of waiting, excitment, staying up until 3 in the morning to hear the premeire of the songs. And bam it's all over.

I'm proud of the boys, it was a job well done <3

and now I can look forward to hopefully a U.S tour.

And it a few more years, the thrill of a new Coldplay album will begin again.

I love Coldplay and the Coldplay Community.

And I'm so excited for my copy of MX to come in the mail <3