✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

First Impressions of Mylo Xyloto (and vote in the 1-10 sliding scale poll!)

Major_Love

Ok, I've listened the album 4 times, and I don't know if it is because today is Monday and I was tired, sleepy and kind of angry ad fed up all day, but I didn't like the album as I see almost everyone does. In fact at this moment for me it's the worst Coldplay album... probably my opinion will change if I listen to it when I’m in a better mood, maybe in a peacefully Sunday morning and with the original CD or a good rip and with no interruptions.

My favorites were Charlie Brown, Hurts Like Heaven (since I heard the live versions I knew that probably these will be the best of the album) and also Don’t Let It Break Your Heart which was an unexpected and pleasant surprise.

And definitely the worst are Paradise and Princess of China, sorry but they sound like a cheap boy band here.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turned it just now at this beautiful sunny morning.... now can't stop listen it, now my eyes full of tears, sitting and crying like girl, wtf is wrong with me! I already late for 30 minutes. Jeez. What a beautiful music.

Touché, Coldplay.

I’ve only listened twice, but everything sounds so much better in context. Which I figured would happen, and which is what I was hoping for.

I still don’t think this is their best work in my personal opinion, just because it’s not “my style” so much, but leave it to Coldplay to make something completely different to what I usually listen to and hope for and still impress me.

Right now, I’m thinking 6.5 or 7/10, even though I hate ranking things out of ten. As a whole piece of work, it’s great. There are several things and moments I would have done differently, but Eno and I don’t really see eye-to-eye on lots of things, so that’s OK. I always go on the low side when I first hear albums I’m greatly anticipating, though, because I have a fear of being too overly generous at first in excitement (which I’ve done before). I think this will end up being firmly between a 7 and an 8 for me, which is…astonishing, given what I expected.

And the fact that there are still only two dud songs (which sound much better on the album than as singles) is a great thing, for any band, any album.

I can’t believe I get to see them on Friday. I cannot believe it. I’m like in tears over that.

OK, to supplement this, I did a bit of an initial track-by-track. It's written for my Tumblr, so not a completely Coldplay-literate audience, as my Tumblr is more Strokes-centric in general. And it's SUPER long :P

The only thing I'd add is that I wish "Up With The Birds" was two separate songs: the first half and the second.

1. Mylo Xyloto First of all, I love these little instrumental bursts that are throughout the album. This one I was already familiar with as the intro to “Hurts Like Heaven” from the live shows, and I loved it then. Actually, it seems a bit empty without people screaming over it, and with epic firework wooshes, but that’s OK, I think it’s a beautiful little tinkly, glittering thing that’s a great opener.

2. Hurts Like Heaven A contender for my favorite track on the whole thing. I think this studio version is a little too over-produced (I mean, Chris sounds like a robot, literally, and there are weird beeps and boops in parts), but I think it totally works for it. And live it’s the best possible opening song they could have. The lyrics are great, especially in comparison to what we’ve been getting. I like the idea of a “spray-can soul,” I don’t know, and I like how the whole thing sticks to the story of this guy that’s a graffiti artist, or inspired to become one, to make his mark and express himself, because of the pressures of the world around him. I feel like a lot of Coldplay’s songs in the latter half of their career haven’t been that literal and coherent, so it’s a nice return.

3. Paradise Initially my least-favorite thing Coldplay has ever come out with. It might be my least favorite on the album, mostly because it sounds so much like what you’d hear if you flicked on Top 40 radio right now, without much Coldplay spark, and I feel like they did that knowingly. A few of the lyrics really make me cringe, like “the wheel breaks the butterfly.” What? I’m much more of a riff person than a beat person, and this one doesn’t have a riff that I latch on to, and I’m not so into the heavy beat which I really think overshadows the song. It also gets stuck in my head just THINKING about it, which is annoying, but…in the context of the album, I like this a lot more than I initially did. I think the single had like three plays on my iTunes, but in listening to the album like 10+ times today, I haven’t dreaded it or rolled my eyes once, and I sing and dance to it just as much as the others.

4. Charlie Brown Another favorite. I knew it would be from the live version—I just think this is the thing Coldplay (since 2005, anyway) is all about—great, sparkly guitar riffs that whole songs are based around, anthems that fill entire stadiums with people singing along. I remember the first time I heard it on livestream in June and I basically teared up, so that should say a lot. I also like a lot of the lyrics, and they didn’t ruin this one in the studio, but I think it might be best suited live. I just like that this one is clearer to listen to than the live bootlegs. Can’t wait to jump to it again on Friday.

5. Us Against The World The live version of this was pretty and cute and lovely, but my complaint about it was that it was so, so similar to previous songs of Coldplay’s, like “Til Kingdom Come” and “Now My Feet Won’t Touch The Ground.” I think the production on the studio version moves it a bit away from those similarities, and it’s an absolutely fantastic song. Ever since Chris described it once about it being kind of about the band and sticking together in the face of all the critics and naysayers, I can’t really think about it any other way, even though I don’t think that’s what it’s literally about. Besides how much I like it, though, I think it’s not a total standout to me. Also, the way Chris sings the word “world” at about 1:43 irks me a bit, like it’s really American and forced.

6. MMIX Cute little instrumental bit thingy that leads into “Every Teardrop.” It makes me think of a forest or jungle with ambient animal noises, I don’t know. It sets up “Every Teardrop” perfectly.

7. Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall Hey, look, the most polarizing song Coldplay have ever released! Most of the veteran fans I’m friends with hate it. I absolutely love it, crap lyrics and overproduction and all, ever since my first listen back in June when I woke up at like 6AM to hear it. Ever since then, it makes me think of waking up early in the morning on a very nice summer day for an exciting reason. It makes me feel like vomiting rainbows and jumping around. I feel like it’s an evolution upon their Viva-selves in a way I expected, so I didn’t find it that shocking when it first came out, even though it was the first song we heard. I always looked forward to it in livestreams, I’ve played my 7” of it to death, I adore the video, and I just really like it, haters gonna hate.

9. Major Minus Oh, Major Minus. I LOVE the live version—no one agrees with me, but it reminds me of “Power Out” by Arcade Fire a lot. BUT the studio version leaves a lot to be desired, mostly because Chris’s voice is way too processed and filtered. I don’t see the point of that—it’s way too obvious and in-your-face. It’s still a great song, but I don’t think the filter is necessary or good. I thought it was vaguely about a kidnapper or something when I first heard it, but one of my friends thought that it could be inspired by Chris’s fame and life in the eye of the paparazzi and tabloids, which I think is fascinating and so fitting: “Just be careful when you’re walking into view,” “They’ve got one on the road and one on you,” “Be careful because nothing they say is true,” all of that fits to me, and I find it really interesting.

10. U.F.O. The first completely unheard, non-instrumental song on the album. I was floored. It’s very “Us Against The World”-ish, and it’s similar to other things they’ve done before (also “Til Kingdom Come” and “Now My Feet Won’t Touch The Ground”), but it just hits me in the right way. I think it’s pretty and lovely and adorable, and I like the lyrics a lot. It’s a good old-fashioned love song in an album about a lot of crazy things. “UFO” is kind of a weird title, though, because I picture country meadows at sunset rather than anything intergalactic. AND THE END SAMPLES SIGUR RÓS’S “TAKK.” This is amaaaaazing to me. It didn’t hit me for about four listens, even though someone mentioned last night that the beginning of “Princess Of China” sampled “Takk…” and I said that they were on crack (probably because we only had a radio rip and I suck at hearing). I was laying on my floor listening today for the fifth time and then sat bolt upright and said “IT IS FUCKING ‘TAKK…’!” and loved it even more for that.

11. Princess Of China (feat. Rihanna) When I first heard this last night, out of album context, I was not a big fan. It was more pandering to Top 40 radio, especially because it features Rihanna and a hip-hop beat and overproduction. But in the context of the album…I like it? At least I like it more. I groove to it quite a bit, so I think it’s firmly in the “guilty pleasure” category. And Rihanna? I have nothing against her, but I wasn’t thrilled that she was going to be on a Coldplay album because of the vibe her style would probably bring. And that vibe is on there, but it’s OK. I think she fits very, very well with the song, and isn’t overly…Rihanna, if you know what I mean. (BUT CAN YOU IMAGINE BEYONCE DOING THIS? That would be even more rad).

12. Up In Flames First heard as a bootleg iPhone video from the ACL taping. I really liked it then (and I still do) because that was right after the “Paradise” disappointment. I think the heavy metronome beat is kind of odd, and not something I’d choose, but I think it works, despite what a lot of other people think so far. I really like that it’s a slow piano-ballady type thing, but still full of MX flavor. However, Chris sings it a little too high for me to get obsessed with it or anything. Despite being a big Coldplay fan and Sigur Rós fan, I’ve never been so hot on falsetto from anyone, at least when it’s overused. I think Chris could have gone a little lower with this and it would have been fantastic, but as it is, I quite like it. Also, it makes me think of tea because of my earlier misunderstanding. Now I think that the line is “can we POUR some water on,” which makes a lot more sense in the context of flames and a lot less sense in context of tea. How unfortunate.

13. A Hopeful Transmission My favorite title on the album, and my favorite little instrumental intro, even though it’s the same as “Mylo Xyloto” just on strings. Which sets it up for…

14. Don’t Let It Break Your Heart This was another completely unheard track, and itblew me the fuck away. It’s like a cross between “Life In Technicolor ii” and “Charlie Brown” with a bit of “Hurts Like Heaven,” and I think it’s maaaaybe my favorite on the record. It’s glittering, it’s feel-good, it’s really very “them” in their post-2005 manifestation, with MX flavor. I barely have paid attention to the words yet because I love the music so much, but I love things like “from my shipwreck I heard a call,” and a few other things I can decipher so far. It’s cinematic, which I love.

15. Up With The Birds The third and only other unheard, whole track on the record. The first half didn’t wow me at first, but I didn’t dislike it, either. I find the “electronic sigh” noise kind of weird, however, and it made me think of like, 1930s film music, with an electronic, futuristic twist. I like the second half a lot more, which has a vaguely Irish-folky vibe to it to me. I love one of the lines in the second half: “But I know one thing: good things are coming our way.” I think that’s a great feeling to end the album on.

————-

All in all: I hate assigning number ratings to these things, but I’m thinking 7/10, which is so much better than I hoped for. After my very first listen, I was cautious to go that high—I always am at first, lest my excitement do the judging for me, and maybe this could go even higher than 7/10 with time. But by my third listen, I said “fuck it, I love this shit.” I really think it has a great flow, a great sonic thread throughout the whole thing. Does that sonic thread connect back to the sonic thread they had going in 2000-2002? I think barely at all, but I’ve long since gotten over that, that there are two distinct halves to their career. There were for the Beatles too, for example, and I totally can deal with that. And despite me not being hot on two songs, most albums have 1-2 songs I’m less keen on than the others, so 13/15 songs being pretty damn great to me is an achievement, no matter the band.

This album isn’t what I would have asked for if they asked me what I and a lot of the fanbase wanted, and several parts of it go directly against my usual “style.” But leave it to Coldplay to make me like something I’d usually not care so much for by putting their lovely little touch on things. But I don’t think that this is a concept album, or half of a concept album like they’re saying it is—I think it just has sonic threads that run throughout and great flow, and that to me is what makes a good album, of any genre and of any band.

It's the next best thing to Parachutes/AROBTTH Coldplay

It's the closest Coldplay have gotten since they've been trying to recapture the magic those albums had.

It makes me believe music can do anything again.

I'm 30 years old. I haven't felt that feeling in a long time.

Touché, Coldplay.

I’ve only listened twice, but everything sounds so much better in context. Which I figured would happen, and which is what I was hoping for.

I still don’t think this is their best work in my personal opinion, just because it’s not “my style” so much, but leave it to Coldplay to make something completely different to what I usually listen to and hope for and still impress me.

Right now, I’m thinking 6.5 or 7/10, even though I hate ranking things out of ten. As a whole piece of work, it’s great. There are several things and moments I would have done differently, but Eno and I don’t really see eye-to-eye on lots of things, so that’s OK. I always go on the low side when I first hear albums I’m greatly anticipating, though, because I have a fear of being too overly generous at first in excitement (which I’ve done before). I think this will end up being firmly between a 7 and an 8 for me, which is…astonishing, given what I expected.

And the fact that there are still only two dud songs (which sound much better on the album than as singles) is a great thing, for any band, any album.

I can’t believe I get to see them on Friday. I cannot believe it. I’m like in tears over that.

OK, to supplement this, I did a bit of an initial track-by-track. It's written for my Tumblr, so not a completely Coldplay-literate audience, as my Tumblr is more Strokes-centric in general. And it's SUPER long :P

The only thing I'd add is that I wish "Up With The Birds" was two separate songs: the first half and the second.

1. Mylo Xyloto First of all, I love these little instrumental bursts that are throughout the album. This one I was already familiar with as the intro to “Hurts Like Heaven” from the live shows, and I loved it then. Actually, it seems a bit empty without people screaming over it, and with epic firework wooshes, but that’s OK, I think it’s a beautiful little tinkly, glittering thing that’s a great opener.

2. Hurts Like Heaven A contender for my favorite track on the whole thing. I think this studio version is a little too over-produced (I mean, Chris sounds like a robot, literally, and there are weird beeps and boops in parts), but I think it totally works for it. And live it’s the best possible opening song they could have. The lyrics are great, especially in comparison to what we’ve been getting. I like the idea of a “spray-can soul,” I don’t know, and I like how the whole thing sticks to the story of this guy that’s a graffiti artist, or inspired to become one, to make his mark and express himself, because of the pressures of the world around him. I feel like a lot of Coldplay’s songs in the latter half of their career haven’t been that literal and coherent, so it’s a nice return.

3. Paradise Initially my least-favorite thing Coldplay has ever come out with. It might be my least favorite on the album, mostly because it sounds so much like what you’d hear if you flicked on Top 40 radio right now, without much Coldplay spark, and I feel like they did that knowingly. A few of the lyrics really make me cringe, like “the wheel breaks the butterfly.” What? I’m much more of a riff person than a beat person, and this one doesn’t have a riff that I latch on to, and I’m not so into the heavy beat which I really think overshadows the song. It also gets stuck in my head just THINKING about it, which is annoying, but…in the context of the album, I like this a lot more than I initially did. I think the single had like three plays on my iTunes, but in listening to the album like 10+ times today, I haven’t dreaded it or rolled my eyes once, and I sing and dance to it just as much as the others.

4. Charlie Brown Another favorite. I knew it would be from the live version—I just think this is the thing Coldplay (since 2005, anyway) is all about—great, sparkly guitar riffs that whole songs are based around, anthems that fill entire stadiums with people singing along. I remember the first time I heard it on livestream in June and I basically teared up, so that should say a lot. I also like a lot of the lyrics, and they didn’t ruin this one in the studio, but I think it might be best suited live. I just like that this one is clearer to listen to than the live bootlegs. Can’t wait to jump to it again on Friday.

5. Us Against The World The live version of this was pretty and cute and lovely, but my complaint about it was that it was so, so similar to previous songs of Coldplay’s, like “Til Kingdom Come” and “Now My Feet Won’t Touch The Ground.” I think the production on the studio version moves it a bit away from those similarities, and it’s an absolutely fantastic song. Ever since Chris described it once about it being kind of about the band and sticking together in the face of all the critics and naysayers, I can’t really think about it any other way, even though I don’t think that’s what it’s literally about. Besides how much I like it, though, I think it’s not a total standout to me. Also, the way Chris sings the word “world” at about 1:43 irks me a bit, like it’s really American and forced.

6. MMIX Cute little instrumental bit thingy that leads into “Every Teardrop.” It makes me think of a forest or jungle with ambient animal noises, I don’t know. It sets up “Every Teardrop” perfectly.

7. Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall Hey, look, the most polarizing song Coldplay have ever released! Most of the veteran fans I’m friends with hate it. I absolutely love it, crap lyrics and overproduction and all, ever since my first listen back in June when I woke up at like 6AM to hear it. Ever since then, it makes me think of waking up early in the morning on a very nice summer day for an exciting reason. It makes me feel like vomiting rainbows and jumping around. I feel like it’s an evolution upon their Viva-selves in a way I expected, so I didn’t find it that shocking when it first came out, even though it was the first song we heard. I always looked forward to it in livestreams, I’ve played my 7” of it to death, I adore the video, and I just really like it, haters gonna hate.

9. Major Minus Oh, Major Minus. I LOVE the live version—no one agrees with me, but it reminds me of “Power Out” by Arcade Fire a lot. BUT the studio version leaves a lot to be desired, mostly because Chris’s voice is way too processed and filtered. I don’t see the point of that—it’s way too obvious and in-your-face. It’s still a great song, but I don’t think the filter is necessary or good. I thought it was vaguely about a kidnapper or something when I first heard it, but one of my friends thought that it could be inspired by Chris’s fame and life in the eye of the paparazzi and tabloids, which I think is fascinating and so fitting: “Just be careful when you’re walking into view,” “They’ve got one on the road and one on you,” “Be careful because nothing they say is true,” all of that fits to me, and I find it really interesting.

10. U.F.O. The first completely unheard, non-instrumental song on the album. I was floored. It’s very “Us Against The World”-ish, and it’s similar to other things they’ve done before (also “Til Kingdom Come” and “Now My Feet Won’t Touch The Ground”), but it just hits me in the right way. I think it’s pretty and lovely and adorable, and I like the lyrics a lot. It’s a good old-fashioned love song in an album about a lot of crazy things. “UFO” is kind of a weird title, though, because I picture country meadows at sunset rather than anything intergalactic. AND THE END SAMPLES SIGUR RÓS’S “TAKK.” This is amaaaaazing to me. It didn’t hit me for about four listens, even though someone mentioned last night that the beginning of “Princess Of China” sampled “Takk…” and I said that they were on crack (probably because we only had a radio rip and I suck at hearing). I was laying on my floor listening today for the fifth time and then sat bolt upright and said “IT IS FUCKING ‘TAKK…’!” and loved it even more for that.

11. Princess Of China (feat. Rihanna) When I first heard this last night, out of album context, I was not a big fan. It was more pandering to Top 40 radio, especially because it features Rihanna and a hip-hop beat and overproduction. But in the context of the album…I like it? At least I like it more. I groove to it quite a bit, so I think it’s firmly in the “guilty pleasure” category. And Rihanna? I have nothing against her, but I wasn’t thrilled that she was going to be on a Coldplay album because of the vibe her style would probably bring. And that vibe is on there, but it’s OK. I think she fits very, very well with the song, and isn’t overly…Rihanna, if you know what I mean. (BUT CAN YOU IMAGINE BEYONCE DOING THIS? That would be even more rad).

12. Up In Flames First heard as a bootleg iPhone video from the ACL taping. I really liked it then (and I still do) because that was right after the “Paradise” disappointment. I think the heavy metronome beat is kind of odd, and not something I’d choose, but I think it works, despite what a lot of other people think so far. I really like that it’s a slow piano-ballady type thing, but still full of MX flavor. However, Chris sings it a little too high for me to get obsessed with it or anything. Despite being a big Coldplay fan and Sigur Rós fan, I’ve never been so hot on falsetto from anyone, at least when it’s overused. I think Chris could have gone a little lower with this and it would have been fantastic, but as it is, I quite like it. Also, it makes me think of tea because of my earlier misunderstanding. Now I think that the line is “can we POUR some water on,” which makes a lot more sense in the context of flames and a lot less sense in context of tea. How unfortunate.

13. A Hopeful Transmission My favorite title on the album, and my favorite little instrumental intro, even though it’s the same as “Mylo Xyloto” just on strings. Which sets it up for…

14. Don’t Let It Break Your Heart This was another completely unheard track, and itblew me the fuck away. It’s like a cross between “Life In Technicolor ii” and “Charlie Brown” with a bit of “Hurts Like Heaven,” and I think it’s maaaaybe my favorite on the record. It’s glittering, it’s feel-good, it’s really very “them” in their post-2005 manifestation, with MX flavor. I barely have paid attention to the words yet because I love the music so much, but I love things like “from my shipwreck I heard a call,” and a few other things I can decipher so far. It’s cinematic, which I love.

15. Up With The Birds The third and only other unheard, whole track on the record. The first half didn’t wow me at first, but I didn’t dislike it, either. I find the “electronic sigh” noise kind of weird, however, and it made me think of like, 1930s film music, with an electronic, futuristic twist. I like the second half a lot more, which has a vaguely Irish-folky vibe to it to me. I love one of the lines in the second half: “But I know one thing: good things are coming our way.” I think that’s a great feeling to end the album on.

————-

All in all: I hate assigning number ratings to these things, but I’m thinking 7/10, which is so much better than I hoped for. After my very first listen, I was cautious to go that high—I always am at first, lest my excitement do the judging for me, and maybe this could go even higher than 7/10 with time. But by my third listen, I said “fuck it, I love this shit.” I really think it has a great flow, a great sonic thread throughout the whole thing. Does that sonic thread connect back to the sonic thread they had going in 2000-2002? I think barely at all, but I’ve long since gotten over that, that there are two distinct halves to their career. There were for the Beatles too, for example, and I totally can deal with that. And despite me not being hot on two songs, most albums have 1-2 songs I’m less keen on than the others, so 13/15 songs being pretty damn great to me is an achievement, no matter the band.

This album isn’t what I would have asked for if they asked me what I and a lot of the fanbase wanted, and several parts of it go directly against my usual “style.” But leave it to Coldplay to make me like something I’d usually not care so much for by putting their lovely little touch on things. But I don’t think that this is a concept album, or half of a concept album like they’re saying it is—I think it just has sonic threads that run throughout and great flow, and that to me is what makes a good album, of any genre and of any band.

:heart:

I don't think I could write anything better or more coherent. Can I just put my name on this? :wacky:

MX is so stunning !!! brilliant !!!

I love the album. as for the rating, here's mine:

1.MX

2.AROBTTH

3. VLV

4. PARACHUTES/X and Y

I love MX!!! I'm in paradise^^

:kiss::stunned::cool::laugh3:

you've lost your damn mind...seriously?? above AROBTTH?!?

im guess you have Ke$ha above the beatles??

...jesus christ -.-

[Review]Going To An Diffrent Direction

Here it is my last complete review of MX for people who dont know how i think about this CD.

Mylo Xylo

Coldplay's first 3 albums where pure awesomeness with there own 'Mellowdramatic' sounds and cold instrumental sounds.

VLV was an diffrent route an great experiment still mixed with there own sounds never TOO HAPPY sounding never overjoyed.

Now they made something totally diffrent called 'Mylo Xyloto' an CD Title to never forgot

because of it's weirdness,but are the songs on the album as unforgatable as the title itself?

You read it here.

1.MX is fantastic opening interlude really spacy and creates a great vibe.

2.Hurt Like Heaven enters and the electronic sounds come into you ears like an explosion,is it an beautifull sound? Yes it is but it isnt Coldplay like they where,where are the Cold soulfull instrumental sounds,the unique sound where you hear the 1second and say "Totally Coldplay!" it's gone.

3.Paradise is the Coldplay version of 'Umbrella' by Rhianna,so it doesnt sound original Coldplay,and it's too much replaying itself.

4.Charlie Brown is an real stadium rocker,but is it Rock? "Nope it isnt"

it's just an electronic blast in your ears and catchy as hell,maybe the album title should be 'Catchy' but who i'm i? "Just a troll?" maybe,you decide.But inmeddiatly thought this wasnt once again not Coldplay,where's the unique sound?

5.Us Against The World,does this song wants to tell is something? is it maybe telling us that Coldplay gives us a Big Middlefinger and say "We go our own way" yeah that's what i think about it.It's an nice dramatic song with 5% Coldplay in it in fact.

6.M.M.X.I is somekind of prestation of the most useless interludes ever made.

7.ETIAW is a great poppy song,a song much people will like if they walk in a big store a buy things they never needed.But just want too buy things because that Catchy track make them feel this was the right place to buy things.Great poppy track,but once again no sign of there unique sound.

8.Major Minus is an catastroffe for my ears.it doesnt represent their talent what so ever.

9.UFO is trying to reach the for them unreachable.It's not comparable with Don't Panic like much do.The song has also nothing to do with UFO's and doesnt represent the title nor band at all.

10.Princess of China is a collab to forget it's somekind of ultimate middlefinger tracks ever made.Synthesizers from hell come into play Coldplay fades away.

11.UIF is Coldplays version of 'Boom Boom Pow' with an bass so irritating you want to shit on it if you could.The lyrics are too simple for words and make it boring.

12.AHT yeah just an interlude.

13.DLIBYH is hell itself,you cant even hear chris sing,whats the use of this song anyway?

14.UWTB is priceless and beautifull the best track of the album and it's Coldplays Unique sound and comparable with 'Strawberry Swing'

Bye

:|

Maybe you should edit the post to get at least the title of LP5 right? It's Mylo Xyloto, not Mylo Xylo. Also the title should be "Going To A Different Direction" instead of "Going To An Diffrent Direction "

I refrain myself from 'inhoudelijk' comments so far. :P

Here it is my last complete review of MX for people who dont know how i think about this CD.

Mylo Xylo

Coldplay's first 3 albums where pure awesomeness with there own 'Mellowdramatic' sounds and cold instrumental sounds.

Bye

firstoff I completely dissagree with your review. If you don't see the beauty in the lyrics of Us against the world UFO and Dont let it break your heart , i wonder what you do actually like about coldplay. Maybe you should reconsider if you actually like anything by coldplay.

Finally a factual and thorough review of Mylo Xyloto - exactly what we have been looking for!

It's very much worth reading. How can you express yourself in a so short and precise way?

I haven't heard the album yet, but this certainly makes me look even more forward to it than what I did before reading.. THANKS for a positive, still slightly critical review!!

btw, thanks for the review Nature. Although I don't agree with many of the things you wrote, I appreciate that you took time to make the review and post it here.

firstoff I completely dissagree with your review. If you don't see the beauty in the lyrics of Us against the world UFO and Dont let it break your heart , i wonder what you do actually like about coldplay. Maybe you should reconsider if you actually like anything by coldplay.
Wait, how does not liking the lyrics of three songs of Coldplay make you wonder if there's anything he likes about Coldplay?

I think he says that he loves the three first albums. ...:thinking:...wait, hm, he says because of their Mellowdramatic sound ... just wtf? This sure should be melodramatic right? :inquisitive: This is why people should be more careful with spelling and all. Is this intent to be Mellow-dramatic? Does this word even exist? Eh.. okay I am confused now

I do not post on this forum much these days, but as Mylo Xyloto has leaked I thought I would post my thoughts.

Mylo Xyloto is a colossal yet ingeniously short album opener. I absolutely love the way it slowly builds up the pace and seamlessly kicks into the true album opener, Hurts Like Heaven.

Hurts Like Heaven is fantastic. It couldn’t sound a further apart from its live incarnation but it certainly does hold its own and provides the statement of intent for the rest of the album. Its clicks, techno blips and beeps remind me of Athlete.

Paradise? Its huge synths and bass line now seem not so bad in context with the rest of the album. It is a radio-friendly and non-Coldplay-sounding 4 minutes and 38 second song that will inevitably attract more new fans and eject a few old fans too.

Charlie Brown. It is Coldplay, but then again it isn’t. This song has been around for three or so years. If you listen carefully you can hear the largely acoustic song that it once was, to fit on a once promised acoustic album that failed to materialise. At times it feels as though it has been fleshed out to suit the style of Mylo Xyloto, I kind of wish they’d kept it for an acoustic sixth album.

Us Against the World is lovely. It is quite an important song for me because it was decided a while ago, after playing a live performance of it to my fiancé, that this would be the song that is played during our ‘first dance’ at out wedding reception. On first listen the thirty seconds had us worried, as we’re used to just Chris and the guitar, however our worries were allayed following an amazingly simple and untouched recording of this soon to be classic song.

M.M.I.X. It’s an instrumental. It does help to prepare you for ETIAW which I would much prefer to just launching straight into its dance-synth tomfoolery after such a beautiful song.

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall. You either love it or you want it to die a slow and painful death. I did hate it, but after hearing it as part of this album I am starting to enjoy it. I particularly like the last 59 seconds. OooooooOOOoooooh! And so on.

Major Minus. After hearing the live performance a few months ago I was very disappointed with the studio recording. It’s the vocal and composition of instruments. It sounds over-produced and loses that raw edge that you get with it being played live. It is GPASUYF’s ugly step-sister.

U.F.O. So, during Major Minus I got talking to my fiancé about how Coldplay will probably never go back to their ‘Parachutes’ sound and how UATW is probably a nod to all those fans who have stuck with them since the late 90s. U.F.O. starts up and we both look at each other and laugh. Where the fuck did this beautiful gem come from? It is more Prospekt’s March than Parachutes but I love it all the same. I got goosebumps.

Princess of China is fucking cool. It is such a contrast to the previous track and I believe its placing on the album is for that exact reason. It has incredibly sharp synths that could cut through just about anything. Rihanna is not as prominent on the song as I have been made to believe after reading some of the user reviews on this form.

Up In Flames builds up to something special, but it takes an age to get there. Is it too repetitive? Is it too whiny? You be the judge. I absolutely love the last line ‘Can we pour some water on?’ Stunning.

A Hopeful Transmission helps to remind you that you’re listening to Mylo Xyloto. It’s a wonderfully short instrumental piece that mirror’s the opening track ‘Mylo Xyloto’ but in a playful breezy fashion.

Don’t Let It Break Your Heart is my least favourite track. Stuffy. Bloated. I can only describe it as album filler. I cannot see that it serves any other purpose. It’s as if Chris and the gang decided that they needed another Lovers in Japan. This could have been left off.

Up With The Birds. I was pleasantly surprised with this song. It is the perfect end to the album. This album’s 42, but in two parts and actually good. An uplifting end to the album with some beautiful sounds, some weird some not so weird.

So after three years I have heard Mylo Xyloto. The 5th album from my favourite band that I’ve loved since 1999. Parachutes is my favourite album, closely followed by AROBTTH. X&Y and VLVODAAHF were never great, but they do exist and I have listened to them countless times. I guess part of being a fan of the band is to go along for the ride. See what happens. You get some great albums and some not so great. Mylo Xyloto is in my opinion a great album.

Very interesting review, thank you! I'm a fan since 1999 and I totally get your point :)

After two listens I'm not a fan. There are some nice moments, but the album is too jaunty, over-produced, and when in doubt it leans towards pop music.

I love Brian Eno - I love his solo stuff, and I love what he did with the Talking Heads back in the early 80's and his work with U2 as recently as No Line on the Horizon. But I think he has totally scrambled Chris Martin's brains - giving him mixed messages of incorporating pop music mixed with electronica into every song. Not a bad thing by any stretch, but it seems like they are trying way too hard with every song. Coupled with their bizzaro rule about 4 minute songs and a 42 minute album, they are killing themselves instead of trying to blossom.

I couldn't agree more about Brian Eno.... I hope LP6 will be done without him. I want "Coldplay's sound" back...

They need to take a deep breath - relax - study Buddism, break out the sitar, or something.

LOOOOOOL !!

I didn't say anything remotely like they are?

You clearly implied it. You made a condescending post about how disappointed and sad you are that some people decided to listen to a leak and made it clear that you had NEVER listened to one. But guess what? No one cares. And most of the people who listened to the leak already have pre-ordered or are planning to buy the actual album anyways. There's nothing wrong with listening to a leak. If you choose not to, fine, good for you, but it's the person who leaked it who could be considered in the wrong, not those who listen to it.

And comparing it to "ruining Christmas"? I don't think you could have possibly been more over-dramatic. Maybe it would ruin the moment for YOU, but not for everyone.

When I make my own MX mix where should I put Moving to Mars???

I'm trying to fit it in the narrative but it seems like it fits somewhere near paradise??? Before or after. Maybe after. Maybe I'm way off. Thoughts????

I just added it as a bonus track at the end. I don't think it would fit between any of the songs and i even added "bonus track" to the title because i wanted to keep Up with the Birds as the album closer ;)

100!