✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

First Impressions of Mylo Xyloto (and vote in the 1-10 sliding scale poll!)

Major_Love

I voted 4/10 on this poll yesterday but today I decided I didn't like "Up in Flames" anymore thanks to the horrid drum machine and repetitive lyrics and the fact that it's basically a crappy version of "Fix You", so I'd like to change my vote to a 3/10. :D

Wow, you really hate MX ! What are the 3 points?

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you really hate MX ! What are the 3 points?

Charlie Brown

Us Against the World

Up With the Birds

I guess U.F.O. is okay too but it's sorta just "there" as a breather between the terrible tracks before and after, so it's forgettable.

This is not an album that you will fall in love with after the first listen. Like most traditional Coldplay albums it takes a few listens, but the music is good. I think this is a more substantial album than Viva la Vida, with a lot more replay value for me.

Okay, I thought MX would grow on me after the first few listens, but it hasn't :wtf: I think it's dropped down to a 6/10 :disappointed: Maybe I'm just in a bad mood or something . . . That and I'm annoyed that Rihanna hogged the spotlight in PoC.

But I stand firm in my A-Hopeful-Transmission-Don't-Let-It-Break-Your-Heart-and-Up-With-the-Birds-are-amazing viewpoint :nod:

Would've been better if Chris was singing the chorus

It's not going to please people this but I'm confident Moving To Mars was not on the album because it sounded too much like something that would be on AROBTTH.

That's possible! Maybe that's why I love this track so much, it reminds me of the good ol' days... :bigcry:

Well, here's my logic

Even if you hate most of the songs, it's obvious that Us Against the World is a 140 / 10 (yeah, that's one hundred forty out of ten).

So... if you rate every song besides that a 0:

MX: 0

HLH: 0

ParaPara: 0

CB: 0

UATW: 140 / 10

MMIX: 0

ETIAW: 0

MM: 0

UFO: 0

PoC: 0

UIF: 0

AHT: 0

DLIBYH: 0

UWTB: 0

Total: 140

140 total points

14 tracks

= 10/10

Questions?

I love Us Against the World.

Well, here's my logic

Even if you hate most of the songs, it's obvious that Us Against the World is a 140 / 10 (yeah, that's one hundred forty out of ten).

So... if you rate every song besides that a 0:

MX: 0

HLH: 0

ParaPara: 0

CB: 0

UATW: 140 / 10

MMIX: 0

ETIAW: 0

MM: 0

UFO: 0

PoC: 0

UIF: 0

AHT: 0

DLIBYH: 0

UWTB: 0

Total: 140

140 total points

14 tracks

= 10/10

Questions?

I love Us Against the World.

:D I love this post. I give it a 140/10.

My first listen was in the car for 30 minutes on my way home from work. I would really like to hear the actual version when it hits the US next week. (It will be better quality is all I mean.) I wish I hadn't have listened to any of the live versions prior to hearing it yesterday. There is something about listening to a new album for the very first time without ever hearing any of it prior to.

I give it 6/10 buy it is getting better with every listen. Some of it is perfect and some of it has me wondering.

My 2nd Review:

God damn this is great and I'm completely obsessed. The only problems on the album are Paradise (which I don't think fits), Up In Flames (one of the worst songs by Coldplay post-X&Y), and the fact that I still don't quite get the concept, not really. Also, on further thought, I don't like how Major Minus is the only dark song on the record; it needs a buddy. Cus, right now, it's kinda weird to hear right after ETIAW.

1. Viva La Vida

2. Mylo Xyloto / A Rush of Blood to the Head

3. Parachutes

4. X&Y :\

EDIT: Also, the best things about this album:

Mylo Xyloto + Hurts Like Heaven is the best thing Coldplay has ever done.

U.F.O. -> Princess of China is an amazing transition.

Every Teardrop has grown on me because of it's placement.

The mix of electric, hook ridden pop-rock songs with sweet acoustic numbers works magic on my ears.

The finale of A Hopeful Transmission -> Don't Let it Break Your Heart -> Up With the Birds is the best ending to a Coldplay record. (However, Up With the Birds is not the best closer)

The only problems on the album are Paradise (which I don't think fits), Up In Flames (one of the worst songs by Coldplay post-X&Y), and the fact that I still don't quite get the concept, not really. Also, on further thought, I don't like how Major Minus is the only dark song on the record; it needs a buddy. Cus, right now, it's kinda weird to hear right after ETIAW.

I couldn't agree more to all this.

Paradise sounds completely offset besides being a bad song (sometimes bad songs fit in a sequence, but not in this case).

Up in flames is ok, but definitely LACK some elements to make it a good song. also I hate its beat. They couldve used a plain acoustic drum kick to mark the song tempo, but instead of it they've put this FAKE wishy-washy eletric beat. Hated.

And I like Major Minus at the ETIAW EP, but in the album it doesn't represent anything and couldve given place to other better song.

Up in Flames is devastating in its simplicity, that is why it is so good. You can feel the emotion of someone realizing their love is "Up in Flames" and that all they can think about is that fact. Any more explication would be forced (Think "slow dancing in a burning room" by John Meyer).

I love Major Minus, it just needs to be someplace else, maybe right after Us Against the World?

I think it should have been off the album altogether. Not because it's a terrible per se but because it doesn't fit with the other songs on the album. Maybe on an EP or as a B-side.

And it definitely should not have followed Us Against the World.

I think it should have been off the album altogether. Not because it's a terrible per se but because it doesn't fit with the other songs on the album. Maybe on an EP or as a B-side.

And it definitely should not have followed Us Against the World.

I disagree, I think its playfully dark melody/lyrics work nicely right after an optimistic anthem. One of the more clever things on the entire album.

Ok, I accept your view, taste is different, but why you create a own thread? Should everyone do something like that? :P

Lol, you're probably right. I saw other people doing it and I didn't know where else to put it. :shrug:

I have no life, just wanted to let you know that. ;)

I liked your review, but you're kind of scaring me. I'm so excited for MX, and now... I'm afraid I will dislike the exact same things that you do.

You shouldn't be afraid, you will probably love it, like most people. This is just my personal view, and I wanted to check if I really was the only one who has these thoughts.

At first I didn't even want to wright anything because one might think of me as of stupid fangirl. But to hell with that, no one knows me here:)

[...]

I'm sorry that Charlie Brown didn't touch your heart.[...]

As a P.S. I'd like to say one thing. I was very skeptical about this album, and was not satisfied with singles at all. I thought they're making it for money or for popularity. But then I watched those interview with Chris, where he was just seriously talking about how much they've put in this album. You know, I BELIEVED HIM. I think he was sincere, he meant it. And these are real emotions, just put in another form. More appealing, more easy to perceive, but still... it's them.

You're probably very right on the last paragraph. I can't blame the guys just because I don't like it. The only thing I can blame them for is they are too obviously going for crowdpleasers, singalongs and instant hits, as if we're not going to like it if it doesn't get to us from the very first second. They should have been more like, fuck it, we do what we want regardless of whether the radio will constantly play our songs.

About Charlie Brown, it's very close, I actually love it, but it just seems too obvious, see previous paragraph.

lol, Tryptophan, why do you and I always agree on everything? :P

Because you are obviously very intelligent and good looking and all-around brilliant, just like me. :p

Although I do have to say that I like the vocal effects in Major Minus (yes; the live version is still better, if only because the guitar echoes are pretty freaking amazing). I still don't care for Paradise and ETiaW--but they do sound loads better when listened to in the album context, so kudos to the guys for picking a tracklisting that works well.

The studio version of UAtW is beautiful, Up In Flames isn't bad (except for that annoying drum beat :P), U.F.O. is too short, they didn't include those amazing 'luminous' lyrics (boo), and I'm in love with the last three tracks . . . but unfortunately this may wind up being my least favorite of Coldplay's albums. :\

I just hope it isn't their last. :uhoh:

You know, the problem with Major Minus is not the vocal effect, rather the other bells and whistles that drown the song. And because I miss Jonny's first bridge solo, and the echoes are gone, leaving a weaker impact (so yep, we agree again). It's still a brilliant song, but I also don't like where it's placed, it's as if it doesn't belong there. Up In Flames is not bad, just not eh, not for me, a bit like Fix You.

Oh I really hope they continue, they will continue, I'm positive about that, can't wait till their next album is there! :D

About the direction that fllows from Viva: Viva just feels more adventurous than MX, MX feels too eager to instantly please. It's as if the best things from Viva have been abandoned and my least favourite bits on it have been expanded on MX.

And really, if Paradise was as brilliant as its :elephant: video clip, and if Princess Of China was not on it (too bad it will ruin Coldplay's public image when it's out as a single, it will portray them as a commercial sellout band and teens will love them for all the wrong reasons), and if ETIAW didn't have the synths, and if the allround lyrics weren't so dull and shallow, it could have been *** three stars easily, that would still be tied with X&Y as my least favourite. But eh, I can live with it. I <3 Up With The Birds :D And by the way, Hurts Like Heaven studio version isn't really that bad at all, still prefer the live version.

Up in Flames is devastating in its simplicity, that is why it is so good. You can feel the emotion of someone realizing their love is "Up in Flames" and that all they can think about is that fact. Any more explication would be forced (Think "slow dancing in a burning room" by John Meyer).

I agree. Up in Flames is amazing. The last line of this song is one of the best moments on the album!