✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 'Thank you Brian Eno for ruining a potentially brilliant album' Thread

roe

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason people are disappointed is nothing to do with Eno, it's because we've all become so accustomed to almost every song from the album. Playing stuff like HLH or CB live so often months ago meant there wasn't much to be surprised about when the album came out.

That's TOTALLY true!

That's TOTALLY true!

No it isn't, the fact is that the entirety of the album is over-produced beyond just songs we are familiar with live.

For example, for me 'Don't Let It Break Your Heart' is a compressed mash of sounds, in my opinion.

Someone mentioned before that there is no breathing space on this album. I would tend to agree.

exactly. I sometimes think that Chris is too nice. He needs to stand up and say that they are here cause they deserved it. I sometimes think he doesn't realise how good they are as a band...

I have this feeling too. UATW's live is way better than the studio version, and they know it themselves but didn't speak out.

I haven't listened to the album yet (and won't until release), but this is what I worry about the most. It's not that he's a producer on the album (obviously he isn't) but he still influences the production, not least through the band themselves.

Eno's a genius, yes, but genius =/= always what I want to listen to.

Anyway, like I say I haven't listened yet, so very hopefully when I do I disagree :)

Just heard HLH and CB on Radio 1 and am completely shocked by the production...completely unnecessary imo.

Maybe I'll grow to love them, but an awful lot of what made the live versions incredible seems to have been lost :cry:

For example - Jonny's guitar solo on HLH gets lost in the mix imo, the horrendous sub-par rave synth effects on CB - completely not needed, cheesy, and awful :\

Turned off the volume for now as I haven't heard PoC yet and don't want to till release day. If it's not over-produced and fiddled with though I'll eat my pop-up album when it arrives :(

Silly thread, judging-an-album-after-half-a-day is for kids!

Except I'm 42..

It's not judging it like we're saying this is our final opinion of it and we'll never listen again (at least I'm not saying that) it's just that these are our first impressions.

What did you expect the forum to be dead when the album released? :facepalm:

lolz. You guys think that Brian Eno influenced this album??? He helped with ideas, but the final mixing is up to the band and Simpson and Green. Eno only gave ideas on this album.

You people are whining and assuming that because Eno wasnt there for the first three albums, he is responcible for all the changes.

COLDPLAY WOULD NOT RELEASE SOMETHING THAT THEY DIDNT APPROVE OF.

Its not like coldplay was like "We dont like the production of this album!" and Eno/ the other producers said "WELL YOU HAVE NO SAY SO SHUT UP".

I work for a small record label. Lets be real people. Coldplay approved of this album, so don't blame ENO for the sound of it. Blame the band for the sound if you dont like it.

However I love it.

Except I'm 42..

It's not judging it like we're saying this is our final opinion of it and we'll never listen again (at least I'm not saying that) it's just that these are our first impressions.

What did you expect the forum to be dead when the album released? :facepalm:

I may have been joking

I may not like Eno's style, but if we are all honest here, it is the bands fault and the bands fault alone. They are old enough to make up their own minds, and this is what THEY chose to produce, though it breaks my heart to have to accept that.

Eno wasn't even a producer, guys. Chill. Blame Rik.

Agreed. Whatever, I like MX for being itself, not in relation to any other album. But read up; Eno is not a producer on this album. He helped with ideas and work ethics and the keyboards and that's it. He was not involved in the mixing, the mastering or most of the making of these songs. :p