✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[Review] musicology.com 2.5/5

randomnames

coldplay_mylo_xyloto.jpg

Album Review: 'Mylo Xyloto' by Coldplay

by Brett Warner

The perks and problems of any new Coldplay album are never contained to the songs themselves, and on their latest mess--the still-bafflingly titled Mylo Xyloto (out October 24)--the 11 new tunes are the least of Chris Martin & Co.’s worries. At this point in their career, the former London Britpop revivalists have become so entrenched in the mechanized world of Top 40 radio hit-making, they’re beginning to lose grasp of who they are and which one of their numerous strengths they should be playing to. Completely soaked in noisy synthesizers and soulless beats, Mylo Xyloto fires on all the wrong cylinders-- it wants to be Kanye’s Graduation but winds up sounding like one long club remix of X&Y. Blame Martin’s well-documented self-deprecation complex for the album’s doe-eyed desire to appeal to the bland and the broad; Mylo Xyloto desperately wants to be liked and inevitably comes across as the band’s must unlikable offering to date.

After the terse instrumental title track’s swirl of ambient sound, E-Bow soaked guitar, and twinkling glockenspiel, we begin with the punchy uptempo synth-rock of "Hurts Like Heaven", a pastiche of soaring melodies that feels weighted down by all the layers of bloopy digital synth fills and maddening clouds of buzzy, unnecessary white noise. There’s some signs of life in Jonny Buckland’s gritty guitar solo, but you won’t find anything so human in "Paradise" apart from Martin’s over-worn "whoa-ohhh"-ing—its tasteful orchestral swells are clobbered by dense, distorted synth chords and airy, mock-choral keyboard tones. We’ve all grown to love or hate first single "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall" by now, and the recently leaked "Princess Of China" (featuring a phoned-in, uninspired Rihanna cameo) digs a similar trench of borrowed electro-pop flourishes and stale hip-hop beats.

The album works best when the boys put down the Pro Tools and pick up their instruments—"Us Against The World" and "U.F.O." are warm, endearing pieces of classic Coldplay-style folk-gospel, the former building to a modest but moving climax of electric guitar jangle and grand piano majesty. Over a minimal canned drum loop, "Up In Flames" manages to quietly astound with its jazzy piano arrangement and the welcome return of Chris Martin’s earnest falsetto delivery—"Up in flames we have slowly gone," he wails gently, "Can we put some water on?" It’s the album’s simplest and best moment.

There’s a lot of concept album lyrical mumbo jumbo running rampant (Lost Boys, American graffiti, and two lovers named Mylo and Xyloto) and the album is regrettably short on those emotionally engaging moments that Coldplay used to kick out in spades, so with the fading piano outro of "Up With The Birds", we’re left with an overproduced, poorly executed song cycle that sounds more impressive than it feels. "Don’t let it break your heart," Chris Martin urges on the penultimate anthem of the same name, long after his new album already has.

SumOlogy: Apart from a few moments of brilliance, Mylo Xyloto is a neon, candy-coated pop nightmare—an impenetrable, over-produced mess of noisy synths and hollow crossover appeal.

Rating: 2.5/5.0

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why I keep reading these reviews, I've already decided I like the album. Music reviews are probably the most pointless things ever invented anyway. No matter what album it is, some people will love it, others won't. It's music, it's been that way for hundreds of years. One person's opinion isn't going to change the way somebody feels about and album after they've listened to it.

Oooooh. Ouch. I knew a bad one was coming. There's alot of truth in it too.

NME (which admittedly is a substandard publication) gave Mylo Xyloto a 5 out of 10.

"There's nothing wrong as such with Mylo Xyloto. It just feels like, once again, Coldplay have done the selfless thing and gone out to protect EMI's share price." (Print edition only)

I'm sorry guys, but imo this review is a piece of shit!!! They cant get past the fact that IF A BAND KEEPS MAKING THE SAME KIND OF MUSIC, PEOPLE WILL GET BORED AND THE MORE SONGS THEY WRITE THAT SOUND THE SAME THE HARDER IT WILL BECOME TO WRITE THEM!!!!!! No-one should be criticised for wanting to reinvent themselves after every album, it keeps things fresh. Also, I think out of all their albums this is the one with the MOST soul. Look at songs like UWTB, UATW, UFO, UIF! It just feels like this reviewer guy is jumping on the Coldplay hate bandwagon when most people have got over themselves and jumped off of it!!!

It was clear that after all those brilliant reviews also some negatives occur.

The extreme production of the album is the main thing which will polarize the world. Thats clear and this is one of the rare reviews which considers it as a bad thing. Unfortunately, but taste is different.

NME (which admittedly is a substandard publication) gave Mylo Xyloto a 5 out of 10.

"There's nothing wrong as such with Mylo Xyloto. It just feels like, once again, Coldplay have done the selfless thing and gone out to protect EMI's share price." (Print edition only)

How the hell did they get that idea?? This is the biggest piece of bullshit I have heard since the review at the top of the page!!!

How the hell did they get that idea?? This is the biggest piece of bullshit I have heard since the review at the top of the page!!!

Oh I'm not saying I agree with their blurb - in fact I did note that NME is a substandard publication.

That being said, the average rating (so far) for Mylo Xyloto on Any Decent Music (ADM) is 67%.

Wow, this review reads like my thoughts exactly, only a lot more harsh and negative. Very true. Though it could have been more elaborate about Up With The Birds, which is one of the best things Coldplay have ever done in my opinion.

@Samuel: It's not the change or evolution per se, it's what they changed into that matters. Nobody will disapprove of change per se, but some might disapprove of the result.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Oh dear. Just took a look at the website this comes from.

http://ology.com/music/album-review-mylo-xyloto-coldplay

I don't know if a review with a publication that concentrates on "Miley Cyrus undressed" as news is really that worthy of posting. They really are into the rat arsed end stories of the filthy tabloids. Making the Daily Star look like quality broadsheet.

Dear oh dear. Quality publications please!

Oh I'm not saying I agree with their blurb - in fact I did note that NME is a substandard publication.

That being said, the average rating (so far) for Mylo Xyloto on Any Decent Music (ADM) is 67%.

Oh no, I wasnt for one second having a go at you, it takes a lot for me to do that to someone on here. I was just saying what utter rubbish I think the people you quoted were talking. I wasnt being unkind to you at all ;):)

Oh dear. Just took a look at the website this comes from.

http://ology.com/music/album-review-mylo-xyloto-coldplay

I don't know if a review with a publication that concentrates on "Miley Cyrus undressed" as news is really that worthy of posting. They really are into the rat arsed end stories of the filthy tabloids. Making the Daily Star look like quality broadsheet.

Dear oh dear. Quality publications please!

Oh, thanks for posting this. It just proves what I was trying to say. They are totally unreasonable and clearly a bunch of air head arse wipes!

He's just bitter because he's just a music reviewer and not a rock star. I've noticed a common thread with haters of coldplay and their points are usually drenched in jealously...

This review is unneccesarily harsh and the reviewers personal feelings towards the band have infiltrated it as far as I'm concerned. One reason I agree music reviews are shite and useless!

Guest howyousawtheworld
Oh, thanks for posting this. It just proves what I was trying to say. They are totally unreasonable and clearly a bunch of air head arse wipes!

Yes - ...ology is a site more interested in barely legal teens (worryingly so indeed) getting their tits out.

Thank god these perverts didn't give a high score to this album. Imagine that - Mylo Xyloto endorsed by sleaze mags! Win a signed copy of Mylo Xyloto along with a free poster of Rachel, aged 16, fully exposed!

^ definitely! Its pathetic and I dont know how anyone can be so scathing in the influential position they are in. They have a responsibility to their readers (if they have any!!) to be fair and democratic and produce an honest review that is both fair and truthful!! I know everyone has the right to an opinion but in a situation like this it comes down to the simple fact of respect and fairness for the artist. The boys have spent three years on this and there hard work is reflected in the quality of the album. It might not be their taste in music but there is most certainly no need to come up absurd, untrue comments!

^ definitely! Its pathetic and I dont know how anyone can be so scathing in the influential position they are in. They have a responsibility to their readers (if they have any!!) to be fair and democratic and produce an honest review that is both fair and truthful!! I know everyone has the right to an opinion but in a situation like this it comes down to the simple fact of respect and fairness for the artist. The boys have spent three years on this and there hard work is reflected in the quality of the album. It might not be their taste in music but there is most certainly no need to come up absurd, untrue comments!

this. :clap:

At the end of the day, no matter how highly esteemed the publication that writes the review is, it's still just an opinion. In my opinion this album scores 9.5/10. There. Why don't you create a thread about that, and post that score on Wikipedia. Ronayne94 gives Mylo Xyloto 9.5/10 !!! :P