✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[Review] musicology.com 2.5/5

randomnames

The reviewer lost me at "mess". Apparently he thinks previous Coldplay albums are also a mess, so he is already biased. Funny also how he assumes to know who Coldplay are and have the audacity of telling they should get back to their true selves. Why cant he just stick to his opinion without assuming a lot of stuff he knows nothing about? It is this that makes the review unreliable in my view.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As easy as it is for everyone to discredit the review, A LOT OF PEOPLE AGREE WITH WHAT IT SAYS.

That in itself gives the review credibility.

With that said, I am one of the people that agree with it. I think these guys (Coldplay) are better than all the computerized mumbo jumbo they have pitched at us. As a result, I am disappointed with this album. It has some good moments, but it will likely go on the shelf, aside from a couple tracks.

These guys are at their best when they just have their instruments in hand and playing from their hearts.

In my opinion, this is a very good review which raises very good points and doesn't criticize for the sake of it, it gives reasons. One may or may not agree, but it is certainly not a piece of shit. You see, whenever somebody says something negative about Mylo Xyloto, all of you who love it always say that they're stuck in the past. Reinvention is great but that doesn't mean the results are always going to be good. I don't think this is a good album NOT because they have reinvented their sound but mainly because the result in my opinion is messy, lacks cohesion and it's just not that great. That's my opinion, you can agree or disagree but please don't call my post a piece of shit. I am one of the few Coldplay fans who think X&Y is their best album up there with A Rush, so I actually welcome change and evolution. It is just not my cup of tea this time around.

Good post. I'm extremely curious as to whether Coldplay will pick up on the sentiment from the part of Coldplay nation that doesn't like this album, or if they will continue down this path. If so, I'm afraid they will slip to my list of "I used to love those guys!" Fortunately though, once music has been written and put out their for the masses, it never goes away, so I will forever have Parachutes, A Rush of Blood to the Head, X & Y, Viva, EPs...etc.

I have faith in them though. This will be a learning experience for them, this album will garner more negative reactions than any of their others.

I have faith in them though. This will be a learning experience for them, this album will garner more negative reactions than any of their others.

The only lesson you hope they learn is to then make music fans want to hear, instead of playing from their hearts. As the multiple interviews attest, they are very much playing from their heart, more than ever before they are making exactly what they want, without thinking of where they fit or what people expect of them. Regardless of what you think of their direction, this surely is a sentiment to encourage, so I wish them all the success with MX, cuz that will guarantee they wl again write lp6 from their hearts and this is why I love this band.

Pretty much sums up my feelings about the album.

I actually think the reviewer managed to stay civil and still be brutally honest.

I don't think anyone should discredit this review because it is negative, it is the opinion of a lot of people I talked to off the board.

Pretty much sums up my feelings about the album.

I actually think the reviewer managed to stay civil and still be brutally honest.

I don't think anyone should discredit this review because it is negative, it is the opinion of a lot of people I talked to off the board.

I don´t discredit it because it´s negative but because it assumes too much and is prejudiced (Coldplay´s latest mess). Had he just stated that he does not like the songs or the new direction, I would have respected it, but he went too far.

I don´t discredit it because it´s negative but because it assumes too much and is prejudiced (Coldplay´s latest mess). Had he just stated that he does not like the songs or the new direction, I would have respected it, but he went too far.

Where does it assume things?

I don't see any prejudice either. Calling it a mess is pretty much what I feel too. The word latest just means that in his/her opinion they have produced a mess before, that doesn't mean he/she thinks every album and every little thing Coldplay has done was a mess though. A review is always subjective.

You might discredit it all you want, but he/she has some very valid and true points and sums up what not only I feel, so I'm sorry to say this, but you have to accept the existence and credibility of this review as much as any other review that has been posted.

"Don’t let it break your heart," Chris Martin urges on the penultimate anthem of the same name, long after his new album already has.

[...] candy-coated pop nightmare [...]

I feel sad that I am now at a point where I can only agree with this...

So happy there are bands like Fink or Archive that give me what I am missing in CP + that I'll see both of them within the next 2 weeks! :awesome:

Where does it assume things?

I don't see any prejudice either. Calling it a mess is pretty much what I feel too. The word latest just means that in his/her opinion they have produced a mess before, that doesn't mean he/she thinks every album and every little thing Coldplay has done was a mess though. A review is always subjective.

You might discredit it all you want, but he/she has some very valid and true points and sums up what not only I feel, so I'm sorry to say this, but you have to accept the existence and credibility of this review as much as any other review that has been posted.

He assumes he knows who Coldplay truly are and to what origins they should go back to. That is an unfounded assumption. Moreover you don't start a review by saying "here is their latest mess", unless you are prejudiced. No one would expect a positive review after a start like that. For me it's not a review I can respect, regardless of how valid his points are. But at the end of the day, of course any review is of limited value as we all make up our mind about the album anyway :)