✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Chris hangs up on The Bert Show...then calls back

Mimixxx

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though Chris didn't want them to air this interview, I'm glad they did b/c now any objective listener can see what happened here. They could have gotten a great interview here, it started so well. The other guy even provided a nice joke so they could move on, but this Bert guy just couldn't let it go. I've listened to every single Coldplay interview provided in the Multimedia area of this board. Every interviewer shows class when Chris gets uncomfortable about talking about his family. Even lovable Steve Kroft of CBS 60 Minutes didn't push it. Just who this Bert guy thinks he is? Granted, Chris could have said, next question! But I can't say he had no valid reason to hang up on this asshole.

Any interviewer should know not to mention Gwen, quite frankly If Chris wants to keep his life private, then its no-one elses business. I really look up to the band, and I'm a huge fan, If I was interviewing them I could ask so many questions, but I wouldn't dare ask about his family, its just unnecessary

But maybe he thought 'if I don't hang up I'm gonna say something that will really get me into trouble' the fact that he called back shows maturity, I think. Or at least recognition that he knows he shouldn't have done it. I know I'd be too cowardly to call back if it were me :lol:

Hahaha, I tend to avoid calls not even involving any kind of trouble, so this is definitely a call I would've passed to the pa :lol:

I find this shocking. Why do journalists always push the boundaries and always go that step further. They should all know by now that Chris, quite rightly and understandably, doesn't like discussing his personal life. The job that he does is intrusive enough without them wanting to parade his home life as well as his working life left, right and centre.

Ok this guy went too far by asking the last question. I think he was being a lot less professional than Chris at that point, since Chris had already said he didn't want to talk about it anymore. Not literally, but any decent interviewer would have gotten the message.

You could feel the tension building up, so they joked about it, and that should have been it. Bert should have changed the subject.

Wow! What a total bunch of idiots! They seemed to have turned it around so that it is actually Chris' fault and that they're the victims! What they describe at the start is exactly them!!!

Exactly what I thought I would do the same, how was he supposed to answer that question " she has to say that right". What do you say to that they were obviously after some kind of sound bite, so they could be like omg can you beleive he said that and so instead they're going on and on about him hanging up.

Guest howyousawtheworld
He's come close, as we know, with photographers at least. I can't imagine that pressure, really, and that's why I feel bad for him. I just hope he never does it on a live talkshow or something where the media would really pick up on it and he'd never hear the end of it.

He has come close with photographers and I feel he's done well. He's dragged a photographer down to his knees and deservedly so. If that was me I think I would have reacted much much worse. The paparazzi are the scum of the "entertainment" industry.

So yeah it made the news...sorta..some people really need to get a life!

Chris Martin hangs up on interview after questions about wife Gwyneth Paltrow

wenn5743074.jpg

On Friday Coldplay performed on the Today Show to promote their new album, Mylo Xyloto. They were impressive and I considered covering that just for the music alone. At this point I’m not a huge Coldplay fan, but I loved their first album and I still have a soft spot for them. They’re talented, they make good music and they can give a hell of a performance. Well we’re into next week now and sure enough there’s a story about Chris Martin behaving like a dick during promotion. It’s well known that he hates to talk about his famous sanctimonious wife, he’s never done a red carpet with her and he once asked a female journalist what her favorite sexual position was when she asked him an innocuous question about whether he’d ever do a duet with Gywneth. Another time, he punched a guy in the chest for mentioning Gwyneth’s ex Brad Pitt. He could just hate to do interviews also, he once walked off a BBC interview when it took at turn he didn’t like. (Which didn’t have anything to do with Goop, supposedly.) It seems like Martin has been softening a little bit on his stance about talking about Gwyneth. In a recent CBS interview, he compared marrying Goop to “winning the lottery.” Well he’s not ready to talk about her much, though. He hung up on a radio interview when they asked him too many questions about her.

This news comes via Lainey Gossip and I had to listen to over 10 minutes of jockey chatter before I got to the heart of the story. I guess four people were on the air asking questions, and a lot of questions were about Gwyneth, since they figured Martin had opened the floodgates already with that CBS interview. Martin let out a sigh and hung up on them during the interview, which was not yet aired and wasn’t live. After he hung up, Martin called back and said that he didn’t object to any particular questions and that it was more about the fact that too many were coming at once. The interviewers thought it did have to do with Gwyneth, though.

There were no restrictions on what we can or cannot ask.

After the interview, we’re all sitting there and we’re shaking our heads after he hangs up on us. We’re all not sure what went wrong here… He calls back, gets his people on the phone…

I said “Gwyneth Paltrow tweeted that this next album is a masterpiece. I said ’she sort of has to say that right?’”

He hung up, then he called back and asked to talk to him off the air.

He said “I’m just not used to that many people asking me that many questions so quickly. I just was uncomfortable.”

He never said “I didn’t want to talk about Gwyneth… I wasn’t comfortable with the interview,” is what he said.

He was trying to stress that he was overwhelmed by the questions.

He kept saying he wasn’t offended…

He then requested that we not run it. “You don’t have to play that.”

[From audio on The Bert Show]

So what’s going on with this dude? If he doesn’t want to talk about his wife, that should be specified up front. Given his history at freaking out over questions about her, most interviewers should kind of know not to bring it up. I’m not saying he had the right to hang up, just that it’s an obvious sore spot for him. He’s also really touchy. Couldn’t he have just said “one at a time please?”

I’m hoping they release the full interview tomorrow. I’d really like to hear it.

http://www.celebitchy.com/188111/chris_martin_hangs_up_on_interview_after_too_many_questions_about_wife_gwyneth_paltrow_/

Thing is, any smart journalist SHOULD know better, and even if they don't (which is fair considering the CBS interview) Chris's 'people' would likely way up front what is fair and not fair to discuss. That's how it works with most major bands. Of course, you can't control a phone-in so tightly.

What it comes down to for me is that he's there to talk about Coldplay, the music and the new album. That's his job, not to dish about Gwyn. I'd have hung up too. Not saying it's right...it's poor form...but I'd have done the same. Ask me about the MUSIC or go away. :)

EDIT: I guess I was wrong about Chris's people, but it's still a question that should be left alone out of respect for Chris's private life.